[FM11] Back on the Tribute Trail - DodgeeD's Second World Tour

DodgeeD

One of the best sides in the world or a side who are rising but a bit shaky. Clear choice to me, Argentina.

Also go for the World Cup now. If you get it you can always get the Egypt job after and do it with them :)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Senegal vs South Africa...who would have thought that would have had the makings of a classic?!

Bad luck with Columbia, I would choose Argentina now. Better players and a great football heritage, shame they're a bunch of cheats :D:thup:

It was a tough choice but who knows? Maybe I'll lose in the semis of the Confederations Cup or something silly like that and get the sack thus freeing me up to take an underdog to the next World Cup ;)

Ugh, 4 years at the helm of Argentina, which will be a busy time, since you'll play the Copa América twice in that spell, I believe, not to mention the 2026 CONMEBOL qualifying tournament (I've always thought their qualifying tournament is the best). I'd have waited until two years passed to get back into international management, and cherry-picked the best of the teams who were advertising at the time. :)

Good luck with Argentina! But if you fail, we won't cry for you. ;)

September 2022 Flamengo Update

322.png

1st Division

We're now at the halfway stage and it's been a bit of an up and down season so far. We started well and were undefeated up to and including our derby day 7-0 thrashing of Fluminense. You would think such a win would leave the team high on confidence and ready to take on all comers but no. We then lost our next 2 in a row (to Cruzerio and Santos) followed by a run of 4 draws and only 2 wins in the next 6 games. That poor form has hurt us badly as Corinthians are in fine form and top the table 9 points ahead of Cruzerio in 2nd with us a further 2 points back in 3rd. Still 19 games to go but catching Corinthians will be tough! At least our last game before the update showed a return to form as we won another local derby by a large margin, beating Botafogo 6-0.

Current Table

Copa Libertadores

Our slip ups in the league were offset by success in the Copa Libertaodres. Cruzerio were our quarter-final opponents and proved much easier to handle than in our league clash. A solid 1-1 draw away was followed by a 3-1 win at home to send us though to the last 4. Another all-Brazilian match-up awaited as we faced surprise semi-finalists Gremio. The tie was pretty much over in the 1st leg as a Chiquinho hat-trick secured a 3-1 away win. A 2-0 victory at home wrapped up the aggregate win and meant we had reached our second successive final.

Our final opponents were Estudiantes, the team we beat at the semi-final stage last year and made for an intriguing series of match ups as the Argentinians, as Copa Sudamericana holders, were also our opponents in the Recopa (South America Super Cup) at the same time (more on that below). We played away first and it was a cracker of a game. Estudiantes took the lead through Valdez (who caught my eye for the Argentina side with his performances ;)) before Ciro equalized and Chiquinho gave us the lead. Estudiantes were not ot be denied though and pulled level again to finish the first leg 2-2. The first half of the second leg was a tense affair but the game opened up after Estudiantes took the lead in the 55th minute. That spurred my boys to life with Scolari eqaulizing before Chiquinho hit a show stealing hat-trick in the last 20 minutes to give us a 4-1 win on the night, 6-3 on aggregate, and we became Copa Lİbertadores champions for the second time in a row!

Final Leg 1 | Final Leg 2

Chiquinho deservedly scooped both post-final awards as he was named Best Player and also topped the scoring charts. He was included in the Dream Team along with 5 team mates.

Recopa

The Recopa matches were played just before the Copa Libertadores final and unbelievably, both legs had the same scoreline, with (from our side at least) the same scorers! Away we drew 2-2 and again it was Chiquinho and Ciro who scored. At home we won 4-1, thanks to a Chiquinho hat-trick and a Scolari effort!! Another trophy for the cabinet. :)

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Chiquinho also scooped the Recopa Best Player award.

Other news

There was interest but no bids for Chiquinho over the summer. My asking price is much higher now as Cruzerio were paid 44 million by Atletico Madrid for their young striker Titi. Chiquinho is at least as good and so won't leave here for any less than 50 million (barring chairwoman interference)! Of the players who did leave in the transfer window, the most notable was Diego Mauricio. Despite being my star player in my firts couple of seasons here, last year he scored less than 20 goals and so far this season ahd just 6 so when French side Guinamp offered 4million + appearance/goalscoring clauses adding up to another million, I accepted.

There has been one major arrival to replace Mauricio up front: Lucas Ludueña was available of a free after his Shakhtar contract expired and I snapped him up. His form has been impressive so far and he is now tutoring young starlet Wellington Paulista.

August also saw the first time during my tenure here that a Flamengo player has won a cap for Brazil. Not Chiquinho though - instead young midfield maestro Léo was called up and capped in a friendly win over Iran. And to think, the media thought I had overpaid when I signed him in January!

322.png

Great season so far, well done on the Copa Libertadores and Recopa wins. Estudiantes will be happy to see the back of you and Chiquinho, he's turning out to be a legend! :D

Do you think you'll catch Corinthians at the top of the league? They've already got quite a gap.

• 4 weeks later...
Forums are back! Great!!

Need to give the final update for 2022, full updates for 2023 and 2024 and details of my new career move - not so great (lot of typing!) :p

That's why I type mine up in Word first ;). Lots of catching up to do :D.

2022 Season Review: Flamengo

322.png

Domestic Compeititons

102424.png

Brazilian 1st Division: 2nd

Rio State Championship: Winners

Continental Competitions

102415.png102416.png

Copa Libertadores: Winners

Recopa Sudaermicana: Winners

Club World Championship: Runners-up

Here goes the great catch-up!

A mixed season of great success as we retained our Rio State and Copa Libertadores titles as well as adding the Recopa but lost out in the league to a dominant Corinthians side and suffered heartbreak in the CLub World Championship as AC Milan tooke revenge for the previous year, beating us with a last minute goal. Still, we produced some good football and just needed a bit more consistency in the league to make it a perfect season.

Key Players

Alex (DRLC) - again turned in consistently good performances at right backdespite a perceived lack of progression by my coaching staff.

Zezé (DL) - consistently linked with a move away from the club and his form showed why.

Mendes (DRC) - only 20 but showed composure and maturity beyond his years as a rock in our defence.

Digão (DM) - was only a promising youngster prior to this season but injuries gave him a chance this season and he seized it.

Giba (AMRL) - one of those players with a low coach rating but who constantly turned in high level performances. His ability to play on either flank made him a key player in the side as well.

Lucas Ludueña (ST) - signed on a free in July and added much needed experience to the front line.

Chiquinho (ST) - had some patchy form in the league campaign but was brilliant in the Copa Libertadores. During this season bids of 20million+ came in but I turned them all down, especially as Cruzerio were able to get Atletico Madrid to cough up 40million for thier hot shot striker!

Awards

My squad was really starting to build up strength in all positions, reflected by a strong showing in a series of awards:

Rio State

Team of the Year - featuring Da Silva (GK), Anderson (DL), Mendes (DC), Dodo (DM) and Alex (ST)

Young Player award - Giba (1st), Dodo (2nd) and Wellington Paulista (3rd)

Brazilian 1st Division

Team of the Year - featuring Da Silva (GK), Mendes (DC), Chiquinho (ST) and Lucas Ludeña (ST)

Best Player- Chiquinho

Player of the Year - Chiquinho

Young Player of the Year - Mendes (1st), Scolari (2nd, and Alex (3rd)

Topscorer - Chiquinho

Goalkeeper of the Year - Da Silva

Central Defender of the Year - Mendes

Midfielder of the Year - Scolari

Striker of the Year - Chiquinho (1st) and Lucas Ludeña (2nd)

Brazil (General)

Golden Boot - Chiquinho

Internet Voting Player of the Year - Chiquinho (1st) and Mendes (3rd)

Copa Libertadores

Dream Team - featuring Da Silva (GK), Alex (DR), Mendes (DC), Renato Gaucho (AMR), Giba (AML) and Chiquinho (ST)

Best Player - Chiquinho

Topscorer - Chiquinho

Recopa

Best Player - Chiquinho (1st), Léo (2nd) and Ciro (3rd)

South America

Team of the Year - featuring Mendes (DC), Giba (AML) and Chiquinho (ST)

Footballer of the Year - Chiquinho

2023 Season Review: Flamengo

322.png

Domestic Competitions

102423.png102424.png

Brazilian 1st Division: 1st

Continental Competitions

Copa Libertadores: Runners-up

Recopa Sudaermicana: Runners-up

Rio State

We were dominant in the regional championship, beating the minnows by large scorelines and making easy work of our 1st Division rivals as well. Only one goal conceded and two points dropped saw us top the Opening Stage group with ease. We then dispatched Madureira in the semis before breaking sweat to grind out a 1-0 win over Fluminense in the final.

The Closing Stage group was even easier as we came first with a 100% record. Macaé were no match for us in the semis but yet again, we were made to work by Fluminense in the final. However, this time, they got the goal for a 1-0 win meaning we would have to play them in a two-legged match to determine the overall champion.

An early sending off gave us a man advantage in the first leg, which we exploited to get a 2-0 win. Despite missing a first half penalty in the second leg, we kept our cool to win 2-1 and take the title 4-1 on aggregate.

1st Division

After last season’s disappointment, this was a priority. For the first half of the season, it was tight as a group of us, Corinthians, São Paulo, Internacional and Cruzerio formed at the top. However, once our Copa Libertadores campaign was done, we were able to focus all our energy on the league and started to pull away. The title was sealed with 4 games to go as we faced our only remaining challengers Corinthians and put them to the sword with a resounding 5-2 win. They faded badly after that allowing São Paulo to take 2nd, some 20 points behind us!

Final Table

Copa Libertadores

Domestic success was not matched elsewhere though as we narrowly failed to win a third successive Libertadores title. After an impressive group stage and a series of easy wins, we came unstuck against Boca in the final, losing 2-0 in Argentina and then conceding an early goal in the return leg. We pulled back to win 2-1 but lost the title 3-2 on aggregate.

Recopa

We didn’t have much luck in the Recopa either. A terrible performance away saw us on the wrong end of a 4-0 thrashing and a 1-0 win in the home leg was nowhere near enough.

Key Players

Zezé (DL) – injuries restricted his appearances this season but when fit, he was automatic first choice.

Diogo (MC) – a bargain signing from the season before at just 700k who really came into his own this season as an attacking playmaker in the heart of our midfield.

Evandro (AMR) – I really needed a right winger and so brought this guy home after an unsuccessful spell in the French league. He gave us the consistency of delivery we needed from the flank with 19 assists showing his worth.

Giba (AMRL) – consistently proved his doubters wrong yet again and earned a couple of call-ups to the national side, though he wasn’t capped.

Wellington Paulista (ST) – struggled for goals early in the season and I started to worry I’d pushed the youngster too soon. However, he came into his own late in the season as we pushed for the title and scored some vital goals.

Chiquinho (ST) – really excelled this season and was worth more to the team than any transfer fee. 76 goals in all competitions speaks for itself.

Awards

Once again, we collected a fair few gongs come the end of the year:

Rio State

Team of the Year - featuring Da Silva (GK), Zezé (DL), Mendes (DC), Alex (DC), Digão (DM), Léo (MC) and Chiquinho (ST)

Best Player – Chiquinho (1st), Giba (2nd) and Mendes (3rd)

Topscorer – Chiquinho (1st) and Mendes (3rd)

Young Player award - Chiquinho (1st), Mendes (2nd) and Scolari (3rd)

Brazilian 1st Division

Team of the Year - featuring Da Silva (GK), Mendes (DC), Alex (DC) and Chiquinho (ST)

Best Player - Chiquinho

Young Player of the Year – Wellington Paulista (1st), Diogo (2nd, and Alex (3rd)

Topscorer - Chiquinho

Central Defender of the Year – Mendes (1st) and Alex (2nd)

Midfielder of the Year – Scolari (1st) and Evandro (2nd)

Striker of the Year - Chiquinho (1st)

Brazil (General)

Golden Boot - Chiquinho

Internet Voting Player of the Year - Chiquinho (1st), Mendes (2nd) and Giba (3rd)

Olympic Committee Player of the Year - Chiquinho

Copa Libertadores

Dream Team - featuring Da Silva (GK), Renato Gaucho (AMR), Giba (AML) and Chiquinho (ST)

Best Player - Chiquinho

Topscorer - Chiquinho

South America

Team of the Year - featuring Mendes (DC), Evandro (AMR), Giba (AML) and Chiquinho (ST)

Footballer of the Year – Chiquinho (3rd)

World

World XI – featuring Chiquinho (ST)

World Player of the Year - Chiquinho

FIFA Ballon d’Or – Chiquinho

Very nice!
Cheers! :)
How has Chiquinho not been capped by Brazil yet!?
I don't know!! The other player I mentioned who moved from Cruzerio to At. Madrid for big bucks (a striker called Titi) wasn't capped until after he'd gone to Europe so I thought it must be something to do with rep.... But then again, my keeper Da Silva and winger Giba have been called up to several squads as was midfielder Léo (who also won 8 caps) before I sold him to Porto for 20 million.

There is a wealth of striking talent in the Brazilian national pool but it still seems sttange to overlook such a consistent scorer and the holder of both World Player of the Year titles!

2023 International Update: Argentina

1649.png

I've now had two full years in charge of the Argentina side so time to catch up on my progress there as well. The talent pool runs strong and deep, as you might well expect from a side which has won the last 6 South American U20 titles and last 5 U20 World Cups. There has been little success with the senior side yet but that's something I hope to set right.

Copa America

After a few friendlies, I was thrust into tournament action with the 2023 Copa America, hosted by Uruguay.

Group Stage

Our group was fairly straightforward with the host nation our toughest opponents. A 2-1 win over them in the opening game set us on track and a 3-0 win over Bolivia guaranteed our progression. We saved our best for last though as, even with most of my first choice players rested, we stuffed 7 past Venezuela to top the group with a 100% record.

Group Tables

Knockout Stages

Our form continued with another 7-0 thrashing, this time Peru the victims, in the last eight. That set up a semi-final with the surprise package of the tournament Costa Rica. Another big win was expected but, despite dominating, we struggled to find the back of the net and had to settle for a 1-0 win. That set up the final everybody expected with Brazil. Alas, our form deserted us when it mattered and a poor performance resulted in a 2-0 defeat. I half-expected the sack afterwards but the FA said, despite their disappointment at losing, the overall performance was encouraging so I stayed on.

Knockout Rounds

Awards

Dream Team - featuring 8 Argentinian players!

Best Player - Leandro Jiminez (1st) and Jonatan Moreira (2nd)

World Cup Qualifying

After the Copa America, the road to Mexico 2026 began with the marathon CONEMBOL qualifying league set to dominate our fixture list for the next 2 and a half years. We started with easy wins over Venezuela, Colombia and Peru before facing Brazil away. After our poor showing against them earlier in the year, we played a much better game this time, leading twice before being pulled back for a 2-2 draw. On the balance of play, we deserved to win but its a result we'll take gladly at this early stage.

2023 Results

2024 Season Review: Flamengo

322.png

Domestic Competitions

102423.png102424.png

Brazilian 1st Division: 1st

Continental Competitions

Copa Libertadores: Runners-up

I came into this season with a year to run on my contract, knowing this would likely be my last. Although I’d had fun and enjoyed my time here, my original aim was to win all the continental championships and I still had the UEFA, CONCACAF and Oceania versions to win. With my Argentina job to keep me going, I decided to have one last hurrah with Flamengo before seeing what was available come the end of the year.

Rio State

Easy, easy, easy! We won every game in our opening stage group before seeing off Fluminense in the final. We kept that record going in the closing stage before beating Botafogo in the final (no screenshot alas) to win a 5th successive Rio State crown, winning every match in the process!

1st Division

Easy, easy, easy again! We simply picked up where we left off the season before and saw off all comers (with the exception of a surprise defeat at Goias when I rested one too many first teamers). The title was ours with 7 games to go and we ended up achieving a double century with over 100 goals scored and over 100 points on the board.

Final Table

Copa Libertadores

Group Stage - easy. 2nd Round – easy. Quarter final and semi final against Brazilian opponents quaking at the knees in light of our domestic form – easy. Final against Boca again? Oh dear. A narrow 1-0 defeat at their place still left me with hope but we just couldn’t find a way through at home and 1-0 was how the tie finished after two legs. So close to a perfect season but just couldn’t quite manage it!

Key Players

Eugenio (MC) – after a few years as a back-up and being sent out on loan, this guy came to the fore this season. 22 assists from central midfield show the creative force he was.

Evandro (AMR) – picked up where he left off last season, scoring a creating goals in equal measure.

Giba (AMRL) – a constant thorn in the side of the opposition on the left flank. By cutting inside, he ran havoc getting 34 assists in the process. Still getting called up but not played by Brazil.

Wellington Paulista (ST) – this guy has now well and truly arrived as a top class player. 36 goals in a team with such a dominant scorer as Chiquinho is quite an achievement in my book.

Chiquinho (ST) – 64 goals and 19 assists! The man is a beast but when will that international cap come?

Awards

Once again, we collected a fair few gongs come the end of the year:

Rio State

Team of the Year - featuring Da Silva (GK), Chokito (DR), Andre Luiz (DL), Mendes (DC), Dodo (DM), Eugenio (MC), Wellington Paulista (ST) and Chiquinho (ST)

Best Player – Giba (1st), Eugenio (2nd) and Chiquinho (3rd)

Topscorer – Wellington Paulista (1st), Chiquinho (2nd) and Rodrigo (3rd)

Young Player award - Eugenio (1st), Rodrigo (2nd) and Wellington Paulista (3rd)

Fair Play Award - Flamengo

Brazilian 1st Division

Team of the Year - featuring Da Silva (GK), Chokito (DR), Mendes (DC), Diogo (MC) and Chiquinho (ST)

Best Player - Chiquinho

Young Player of the Year – Diogo (1st), Anderson (2nd, and César Godoy (3rd)

Topscorer - Chiquinho

Right Back of the Year - Chokito

Central Defender of the Year – Mendes

Midfielder of the Year – Giba

Striker of the Year - Chiquinho

Manager of the Year – David Dodgson

Brazil (General)

Golden Boot – Chiquinho (1st) and Wellington Paulista (3rd)

Internet Voting Player of the Year - Chiquinho (1st) and Giba (2nd)

Olympic Committee Player of the Year - Chiquinho

Copa Libertadores

Dream Team - featuring Da Silva (GK), Mendes (DC), Evandro (AMR), Giba (AML) and Chiquinho (ST)

Best Player - Chiquinho

Golden Boot - Chiquinho

South America

Team of the Year - featuring Mendes (DC), Eugenio (MC), Evandro (AMR), Giba (AML) and Chiquinho (ST)

Footballer of the Year – Chiquinho (1st) and Rodrigo (3rd)

World

World XI – featuring Chiquinho (ST)

World Player of the Year - Chiquinho

FIFA Ballon d’Or – Chiquinho

And so, at the end of the season, I ended my association with Flamengo, swopping the tropics of Brazil for the cooler climes of…

1529.png

SPARTAK MOSCOW

[h=2][/h]

2024 International Update: Argentina

1649.png

World Cup Qualifying

A couple of freindlies aside, this was our main source of fixtures this year. Played 6, won 6 was how it panned out as we saw off Ecuador, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia and Venezuela. That means qualification is all but assured with the main business now being whether we or Brazil cliam top spot.

I forgot to take a screenshot of the table at the end of 2024 so here's one from March 2025, after our victory over Bolivia:

|

Olympic Games

I had a little distraction in the summer as I took the helm of the U23 side for the Olympics in Mexico. I put together a decent squad of 15 youngsters, taking two wingers and a striker from the main squad as my over-age players.

Group Stage

An early scare against Australia in the form of an own goal was soon overcome as we came back to win 3-1. A 2-0 win over a decent South African side put us through to the next round before we faced one of the favourites Spain. We outplayed the Spanairds but couldn't extend our early lead. We paid the price as the equalised late on to edge ahead of us at the top of the standings.

Knockout Rounds

Finishing 2nd in the group meant we had to face Ukraine in the quarter-finals and that proved our undoing. They were by far the better team in the first half and took a deserved lead into the break. We hit them hardn the second half but couldn't get the breakthough and were then cuaght on the break late on as we crashed out 2-0. Ukraine went on to win the bronze medal while Spain beat Brazil in the final to take gold.

The Story So Far...

Clubs

Season  | Club          | Nation   | Division    | Position | Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
2010-11 | Koroum        | Egypt    | 1st (North) | 3rd      | N/A
2011-12 | Koroum        | Egypt    | 1st (North) | 1st      | Promoted as champions
2012-13 | Koroum        | Egypt    | Premier     | 13th     | Survived
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013-14 | Wanderers     | Uruguay  | Primera     | 5th      | N/A
2014-15 | Wanderers     | Uruguay  | Primera     | 3rd      | Opening Stage Champions; Liguilla winners
2015-16 | Wanderers     | Uruguay  | Primera     | N/A      | Left in Jan 2016
2015-16 | Club Africain | Tunisia  | CLP-1       | 5th      | Cup winners
2016-17 | Club Africain | Tunisia  | CLP-1       | 1st      | League Champions; CAF Champions League winners
2017    | Suwon         | S. Korea | K-League    | 1st      | Play-off finalists; Peace Cup winners
2018    | Suwon         | S. Korea | K-League    | 1st      | Play-off winners; KFA Cup winners; ACL winners
2019    | Flamengo      | Brazil   | 1st         | 7th      | Rio State runners-up
2020    | Flamengo      | Brazil   | 1st         | 1st      | League Champions; Rio State Champions
2021    | Flamengo      | Brazil   | 1st         | 2nd      | Rio State Champions; Copa Libertadores Winners; Club World Champions
2022    | Flamengo      | Brazil   | 1st         | 2nd      | Rio State Champions; COpa Libertadores Winners; Recopa Winners
2023    | Flamengo      | Brazil   | 1st         | 1st      | League Champions; Rio State Champions
2024    | Flamengo      | Brazil   | 1st         | 1st      | League Champions; Rio State Champions

Nations

[font=courier new]Season | Team               | Competiton    | Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011   | -                  | -             | -
2012   | -                  | -             | -
2013   | -                  | -             | -
2014   | -                  | -             | -
2015   | -                  | -             | -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016   | South Africa U20s  | -             | Qualified for African U20 Championship
2017   | South Africa U20s  | U20 World Cup | African U20 Champions; World U20 2nd Round    
2018   | -                  | -             | -
2019   | Paraguay           | Copa America  | Eliminated in Group Stage
2020   | Argentina U20s     | -             | -     
2021   | Argentina U20s     | U20 World Cup | South American U20 Champions; U20 World Cup Winners    
2022   | Colombia           | World Cup     | Eliminated in Group Stage    
2023   | Argentina          | Copa America  | Finalists
2024   | Argentina U23s     | Olympics      | Quarter-finalists[/font]

Wow, that was a lot to catch up on! Pretty eventful stuff, and you've left them in a very strong position as arguably the best club in South America. You must be commended for keeping hold of Chiquinho throughout your tenure with Flamengo too, as other have said I'm surprised the Ballon d'Or Winner can't get into the Brazil team. Anyway, I'm sure he'll be out the door pretty quickly to a European side once the AI gets hold of your team :p

Going well with the Argies too, seems like you've got a fair bit of potential to make them a dominant force for the next couple of World Cups, just make sure they don't cheat when you knock England out in the quarter-finals! :D

Thanks for the comment AK22.

Flamengo are certainly one of the top sides in South America but I think Boca have shown themselves to be the absolute best. Thay have 5 first teamers who are regulars in my Argentina starting XI (somehow, they've held on to them despite the usual interest from Europe) so they are tough to beat.

Chiquinho stayed through the January 2025 transfer window but I expect he'll move in the summer. It will be interesting to see what becomes of him at a top side (Barcelona were the only club ever to express and interest over the last 3 seasons).

• 2 weeks later...

2025 Season Preview: Spartak Moscow

1529.png

Club Information:

Season Ticket Holders: 21,196

Stadium Capacity: 45,000 (all-seater)

Training facilities: Top

Youth faciliites: Excellent + Youth Academy

Youth Recruitment: Well established

Board Expectations

Russian Premier Division: Respectable league position

(Media Prediction: 7th)

Russian Cup: Not important

Transfer Budget: 21 million

Wage Limit: 925k p/w

It seemed Spartak had been underachieving before I arrived, having finished 7th last season (leading to my predecessor's dismissal) and without a top 3 finish since 2020. Once I had a closer look at the squad, it became clear that there wa sno underachievement at all. the squad was horribly lacking in depth. Although the wide positions had quality players, there was no back-up and the club was desperately in need of a central defender, midfield playmaker and a decent striker. The club was also full of foriegners so I would be forced to do most of my business locally.

Of the squad I inherited, the following stood out: between the sticks, we have Horacio Molinari, a player I know from the Argentina set-up where he is the current 3rd choice 'keeper; club capitan and star right back is Paterne Diallo, the best Belgian player in the game by far; Lorenzo Cristieg may be in the latter stages of his career but his experience in the DM role and Russian second nationality make him invaluable at present; and the quality in the wide positions I mentioned comes in the shape of Nigerian winger Augustine Sunday (who also had Russian nationality), Hernan Jara, a Uruguayan I first tried to sign as a youngster when I was manager of Wanderers - he can play on either wing and is 'awaiting paperwork' to become a Russian citizen - and finally Ezquiel Otero, an Argentinian left winger signed just last season.

As ever, established domestic players were expensive to acquire and two deal swallowed the majority of my transfer budget. 11 million was splashed out to bring Vladimir Yerokhin CSKA Moscow have been the dominant team back home after a spell in Spain (it turned out he was a former Spartak youth player with some idiot selling him to Espanyol for a paltry 1million some years ago). He will fill out my central midfield playmaker role nicely. The other big money deal was 7.5 million for Carioca, a central defender formerly of Tom who had recently turned his back on his native Brazil and appeared fopr the Russian national team (turns out about half of the first team are orignally from Brazil, Argentina or France)!

Before signing those two, I tried to raid my old club Flamengo for some of the goalscoring hot prospects like Wellington Paulista and Rodrigo (I knew Chiquinho would be too expensive) but, alas, the chairwoman did not interfere and they refused all offers (I went as high as 17.5 million for Paulista) - no negotiations even. I did, however, get one striker off my old club - Lucas Ludeña joins for a nominal fee and I'll be looking to use the 31 year-old's experience to tutor a couple of youth teamers. One of the players he'll be helping out is Sergey Serov, a 3.5 million signing also from Tom. He's not ready for the first team yet but my scouts say he has great potential. Let's hope they are right!

Money and time ran out before I could get in another right back (my back-up is a 16 year-old who is unlikely to ever make it at the top level) or a goalie (ditto on the current reserve) so we'll just have to make do this season and hope long-term injuries are avoided.

I'll be optimistic and short-term push for a top 6 finish, which should get us into Europe. Long-term we need to break the dominance of CSKA Moscow who have won 8 of the last 9 titles...

Looking forward to seeing how you get on at Spartak too, don't go winning the Champions League too quickly ;)

The foreigner rule is a right pain in the neck. As you have stated, talented Russian players cost a fortune, and there doesn't seem to be much around in my game to choose from. At least you got a decent budget to strengthen with, and expectations aren't too high for you first season, so it gives you time to build the squad. Good luck breaking the CSKA stranglehold :thup:

'Too much' and 'football' just don't go together in the same sentence ;)

Besides, I originally set up this game to participate in AcidBurn's Continental Dominance challenge. Once the Champions League is won, I still have to win the Oceania Champions League and the CONCACAF Champions League - without the option of using a Mexican or MLS side either! :p

Good luck with the Russians. Don't forget to get some friendlies scheduled, if you can, before the February knockout rounds in Europe, if and when you get there. ;)
Thanks for the advice. We're currently in the hunt for a Europa League spot so I'll bear that in mind. :)
Great thread :thup: good luck in Russia. Yerokhin looks like a good signing.
Cheers. :thup: Yerokhin took a few weeks to settle (strange as he started at the club as a youth player and only spent 6 seasons away) but he's playing well now.

June 2026 Spartak Moscow Update

1529.png

Russian Premier Division

This season is all about starting the rebuilding process as I look to restore Spartak Moscow to former glories. Taking that into account, our opening day defeat at Lokomotiv Moscow was not one to be overly concerned about. I was worried however by defeat at Tom in our third match of the season as they are the kind of team we need to beat if we are to get into the top 6 and qualify for the Europa League. Things improved after that as the team got used to the new formation (I introduced the 4-1-3-2 tactic I used at Flamengo) and we then won te next 7 games on the trot, moving into the top 3 in the process. As we apporached the mid-season break, we suffered a couple of set-backs as we lost away to leaders Zenit St. Petersburg (nothing to worry about) and at home to Akmar (a game we shouold have won). A win at bottom side Anzhi meant we at least entered the summer break on a high.

Current table - I'm happy with 4th at this stage and we seem well on track for Europa League qualification. With a bit of luck, a top 3 spot and Champions League qualificaiton may be possible. Once the league resumes in July, we have a tough test away to CSKA Moscow. Hopefully, we'll come back well-rested and pull off the shock. :)

Star performer so far has been Spanish striker David Montoro, our main source of goals. He is set to gain Russian nationality at the end of the year so he's one to hold on to.

I've added a little more depth to the sqaud with a couple of free transfers: Lucas Giminez comes in from Cesena to provide back up between the posts and Danish international centre-back Tomas Ostenkjaer, who joins from Bologna, will similarly provide back up in defence. I've also raided my old club to sign Dodo for 1.8million. With current first choice DM Cristeig about to turn 33, I jumped at the chance. He joins on August 1st.

In other news..

A dilemma on the international front!Having secured Argetnina's spot at next year's World Cup in Mexico, an unexpected pair of job offers came. First of all, arch-rivals Brazil sacked their manager after bombing out of the Confederations Cup in the Group Stage and made a cheeky approach for me!World Cup holders England are also after me following Mike Phelan's decision to retire from football after winning the Confederations Cup (of course, why stay on for a year just for the World Cup? It doesn't get any better than the Confedrations Cup, right? :p)

So, do I stay and finish what I started with Argentina? Or do the unthinkable and switch to Brazil thus guaranteeing Chiquinho the break he deserves? Or do I go for glory with my own country? As ever, you opinions are appreciated!

I concur with Murrayzoster. The chance to manage your own country doesn't come along often.

As for domestically, fine progress in the league with Montoro looking like a vital player for you, especially as he'll be gaining Russian nationality too. With 13 in 12, what formation are you playing? 2 up top with width?

As for domestically, fine progress in the league with Montoro looking like a vital player for you, especially as he'll be gaining Russian nationality too. With 13 in 12, what formation are you playing? 2 up top with width?
4-1-3-2: is that a wide three or a narrow three? I've used both at times, though I prefer the width whenever I can.

I use a wide three - my two wingers are pushed up to the AMR/L positions. The MC sits deeper but gets forward whenever possible (usually try to convince them to learn that as a PPM). Usually, goals come from my second striker either setting up his partner or waiting for the MC to burst through. I also like to have the wingers cutting inside so when I get a right footer on the left wing (as with Giba at Flamengo), they score a lot too. :)

Thanks also for all the advice on the international job front. I suppose Brazil (and possibly England) will come up again after this World Cup or another tournament so there's still time. In fact, I think I've nevergone beyond 2030 in any FM save I've had before so I plan to be around for a few World Cups before FM12 comes along :)

I would normally say take the England job, but as you've qualified for the World Cup with Argentina, I would stay until the end of the tournament and see what's available then. Brazil sack their managers all the time, so the opportunity will come up again, and I expect the job with England will turn up again too (as you've said). Another benefit is that you know the Argentina side inside and out as you've been with them for a few seasons, so you know who you're dealing with. If you take one of the other jobs, you will have to familiarise yourself with the squad and work out some new tactics.

Looking good domestically too, you could sneak a Champions League place still :thup: Any mega-rich Russian tycoons lurking about in your game?

Archived