[FM11] Back on the Tribute Trail - DodgeeD's Second World Tour

DodgeeD

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanderers: January 2014 Update

One great thing about South American leagues - the opening and closing stages make the seasons fly by so quickly! 15 games played and we've already completed a competition :)

Primera Division Opening Stage - League Table

I was just hoping to get a feel for the league and find out where my squad was at over the first part of the season, looking for enough points to move us up the accumulative table. It seems the squad definitely underachieved last year as, with just a couple of additions to the first team, we nearly matched last season's 30 game points total in just 15 matches. In fact, we were even in contention for the title going into the last round of fixtures. Alas, we blew it as we lost to lowly Rentistas when a win would have put us 2nd... It's a very tight league and if we can just improve our away form we can be contenders. We've been great at home with a 5-2-0 record so far (best in the league) but woeful away (3-0-5) including a 3-0 defeat at Peñarol and a.. ahem.. 5-1 loss against Defensor Sporting... :eek:

Undoubted star of the season so far has been Jonathan Soto with 10 goals in 15 games. Our next topscorer has 3 goal so you can see how vital Soto has been to us. I still need better options for the AMR and AML slots and I'll be looking to add new faces in January.

Good news for the closing stage though as we have already played all the big teams (Peñarol, Defensor Sporting, Nacional, River Plate and Liverpool) away so we get them at home this time. We also have 8 games to play at home so I think our chances of making the Liguilla are quite good. :thup:

Those seasons do tend to fly by when you have two championships a year! :thup: Nice start to your time at Wanderers - I'd say you're well on course for a place in the Liguilla, and with only three points between you and the leaders this time around, I think you've got a shot at being title contenders in the Closing Stage, especially with the fixture list working in your favour. I'm saying nothing about a certain result in a certain game against a certain team. ;)

Cheers iseemonsters1. :thup: I definitely think I can make progress more quickly here than I would have scurrying around for scraps at the bottom of the Egyptian Premier League. ;)

Mixed fortunes as we enter the closing stage - the chairman sold my 17 year-old super goalkeeper to some CHilean club for a mere 1 million pounds but I got some wingers in and trimmed the deadwood from the squad. I'll do a transfer update over the weekend.

Great opening stage DodgeeD :thup: and so unlucky to miss out on the title. Carry that kind of form on you're accumalative points will be more than enough to keep you in the division! Some good news about the return fixtures against the big clubs too, I always hate playing away and find that I seem to struggle more but that's to be expected.

Shame about your chairman though selling your starlet gk :thdn:. Ive had my fair share of stupid chairman so I know how you feel.

Good luck for the closing stage! :thup:

Thanks Raware. :thup: Just got some unexpected news on the sale of Guedes - he couldn't move until his 18th birthday in March but when that day arrived, the transfer was cancelled as his new club were already at their foreign player limit. :) Time to offer a new contract!

Wanderers: Feburary 2014 Update

Transfer window

I made 4 signings in January as we sought to address the lack of depth in the wide positions:

Victor Perdigon can play in the centre or on the left wing and it's the latter position where we'll be using him. His understudy will be Leandro Chavez, a highly-rated Argentinian winger whom I hope will soon make the starting position his own. Another Argentine Gonzalo Schiavi also arrived on loan from our parent club Lanus. He won't be a starter but will provide good back-up for our strikers. My only other signing proved to be unecessary as it was a goalkeeper to replace Guedes Nevertheless, Diego Gonzalez looks like a good prospect.

Closing Stage

Only 3 games played so far but a bright start as we won away at Central Espanyol, beat relegation battlers Juventud and earned a home draw against Nacional in a game where we were unlucky not to win. The new signings seem to have settled in quickly and our other strikers have been scoring, taking the pressure off Soto a little.

Current Table

Nice start to the Closing Stage! :thup: I'm guessing Boston River will most likely fall away at some point which means you may be even more well placed. Chavez looks like he's got lots of potential for that left wing position - and good news on the Guedes situation.

The best thing about the accumulative points table in Uruguay is that it only takes into account two seasons - the season you're in and the season immediately before that one. That means that, with the season you're having, not only will you stay up comfortably, but then you'll be in no danger next season no matter what happens - compared to somewhere like Argentina, where that bad season before you arrived could drag you down for a whole extra season in the average points table.

Wanderers: May 2014 Update

Closing Stage

After a bright start (4 wins and a draw in the first 5 games), we dipped dramatically and went on a run of 6 games without a win - disasterous in a campaign of just 15 matches. We suffered with injuries a bit as well as a 10 game goal drought from topscorer Soto before finally coming good with 3 wins in the last 4 games. All in all, a campaign that could have been much better but also could have been much worse...

Closing stage table - stumbled into 6th place eventually

Accumulative points - easily avoided relegation

Overall Table - we placed high enough in the combined standings for the opening & closing stages to qualify for the Liguilla (a post-season tournament to determine the Uruguayan qualifiers for the Copa Sudamericana and Copa Libertadores)

We now have five more games to play in June as we attempt to qualify for continental competition. Hopefully, we reproduce the form of our last few games rather than the ten before it!

5th place is nothing to sneeze at! I'm surprised to see Miramar Misiones so high, but otherwise there's no shame in finishing below Nacional and Penarol (and of course, Defensor Sporting ;) ). Definitely a positive start to your time at Wanderers and a huge step up from where they were last season!

Good luck in the Liguilla! :thup:

Wanderers: June 2014 Update

Liguilla Pre-Libertadores y Pre-Sudamericana

This post-season tournament involves the top 6 teams from the overall table playing each other over 5 games to determine which teams enter the South American continental competitions the next season. The board told us to achieve 'a respectable position' - not sure what that would be in a 6 team group. :p Anyway, we got off to a dream start as we thrashed closing stage champs Nacional 4-1 away. Peñarol then edged a 1-0 win over us at our place but we bounced back with back-to-back wins over River Plate and Miramar Misiones to put us in a position to win the entire thing! That was not to be though as we lost yet again to Defensor Sporting on the last day of competition. However, we had done enough to secure 2nd and earn a shot at some continental action next season! :thup:

Liguilla Final Table

Wanderers 2013/14 Season Review

1926.png

Primera Divison Profesional de Uruguay

Opening Stage: 5th

Closing Stage: 6th

Overall: 5th

Liguilla Pre-Libertadores y Pre-Sudamericana: 2nd

On reflection, a good season in which all targets were reached and exceeded. We beat our media prediction of 9th in the league and surpassed the board's expectation of a mid-table finish in the process. Icing on the cake was provided by an impressive 2nd place finish in the Liguilla tournamnet which will see us enter the continental competitions next season.

Key Players

Despite a barren spell during the closing stage, Jonathan Soto was the undoubted star as he was our topscorer and the Supporters' Player of the Year. João Paulo was also consistently good in defence and Victor Perdigon proved to be a good mid-season signing, especially with his Liguilla performances. Two players I look forward to seeing more of next season are Michael Rada, a right winger who missed the first part of the season due to a loan deal arranged before I arrived but was impressive on gis return to the club, and Denis Matto, a young centre-back who had injury troubles for the majority of the season but was impressive once fit as he helped stabalise the defence after a winless streak.

The Season Ahead

I hope we can at least match this year's league placings. As for the continental competitions, we'll just go along for the ride and see what happens. ;) Finances are OK at the moment but I'm not expecting a huge budget to play with. Anyway, I'm happy with the balance of the squad and we have some good youngsters coming through so I'll only go into the transfer market for opportunities too good to miss and hot prospects.

Thanks Nykav :thup:

World Cup 2014

Hosts: Brazil

Holders: Spain

Notable Absentees: England, U.S.A., defending champions Spain :eek:

Group Stage

Group A

Brazil

Northern Ireland

Japan

Tunisia

Surprise qualifiers Northern Ireland (who qualified at the expense of England) surprised again as a win over Tunisia in the opening game and a hard-fought draw with Japan in the last game saw them through.

Group B

Italy

Denmark

Ivory Coast

Colombia

Italy bounced back from an opening game defeat to Denmark to top the group. Ivory Coast were unlucky to go out with 4 points.

Group C

Portugal

Paraguay

Mali

Ireland

Portugal won the group wasily with Paraguay edging Mali out on goal difference.

Group D

Uruguay

Sweden

Costa Rica

Iran

My current country of residence stormed through with a 1005 record. Sweden scraped through despite only having three points.

Group E

France

Russia

Chile

Honduras

A predictably tight group saw France and Russia do just enough to go through with 5 points each.

Group F

Germany

Belgium

Australia

Cameroon

Germany qualified after just two games. Australia left it too late as despite a win over Germany in the last match, Belgium took 2nd ahead of them. Cameroon continued Africa's poor showing at this tournament.

Group G

Croatia

Mexico

Argentina

South Korea

One of the toughest groups produced the first major shock as Argentina were sent home without a win.

Group H

Scotland

Senegal

The Netherlands

Saudi Arabia

Two major shocks here as the Dutch crashed out and Scotland topped the group! Senegal ensured there would be African representation in the knockout rounds.

Knockout Rounds

2014WorldCup.png

Northern ıreland and Scotland's impressive runs didn't last beyond the second round. In the end, Brazil were expected winners (although the very nearly slipped up against Uruguay in the quarter-finals). The next World Cup will be in 2018 in... Spain!

Wanderers: 2014/15 Season Preview

1926.png

Club Information

Season Ticket Holders: 651 (increase of 42)

Stadium Capacity: 7,420 (all-seater)

Training facilities: Good

Youth faciliites: Good (upgraded) + Youth Academy

Youth Recruitment: Above average

5512770.png

Primera Division Profesional de Uruguay

Media Prediction: 9th

Board Expectations: Top half finish (opening & closing stage)

Transfer Budget: 160k

Wage Limit: 19,000 p/w

Squad & Transfers

I oversaw a bit of a clearout as several youth and back-up players were allowed to leave when their contracts expired and a few others were sold. After pre-arranging some purchases last season, the board cut my transfer budget this time so I restricted myself to a few signings, mainly good prospects for the future. Among the pre-arranged deals was Georges Kouadio, a young Ivorian centre-back offered to me by an agent who looks good enough to be back-up for the first team for now and should be a starter within a season or two. Jonathan Nadal is another young defender with great potential but he didn't have so far to travel as he came from just across the Rio de la Plata (i.e. Argentina). Our only other major signing was Hernan Gaitan, funded in part by some of the sales, who also came from Argentina for 525k. Again, he'll be a back-up player for now but I'm hoping he'll be a regular very quickly (5* potential accordinbg to scouts and coaches).

Transfer summary

The only problem is that I'm over my foreigner limits for the first team squad. I was hoping to send some of the younger foreign players out on loan but they all refused to move, even to other Primera Division clubs. For now, they'll have to settle in the reserves and wait for some of my first teamers top get Uruguayan nationality.

I'm starting to get some interesting job offers on the international front - Ukraine U20s offered me a job, which I might have accepted had they been entered into next year's U20 World Cup, as did Poland U21s, which I considered as they are hosting the next UEFA U21 Championship but ultimately, I didn't fancy the cross-continental commute :p

Wanderers Dec 2014 Update

Opening Stage

We had our usual bright start, going 3-1-0 in the first 4 games before blowing a half-time lead at home to Danubio for our first defeat. "Here we go again," I thought but I turned out to be wrong as we embarked on an unbeaten run that would see us enter and then lead the title race. A 0-0 draw with Peñarol kept us above them and only Felix were keeping pace as a gap opened up behind us. Despite dropping points at Liverpool in the penultimate game, we stayed in 1st and with Felix and Peñaro lset to play each other, we knew it was our title to lose. All that stood between us and the opening stage crown were bitter rivals Defensor Sporting but luckily, they were in crisis near the bottom of the table having just sacked their manager. We took full advantage to produce this result and claim top spot! :cool:

Final Table

That means we'll be in a play-off for the overall title at the end of the season against whoever wins the closing stage (unless we do of course!)

As you can see from the table, our success was built on a mean defence. João Paulo excelled again in defence while Denis Matto stayed injury free and continued his rapid development as a first team regular. Striker Santiago Lamanna also started to fufill his potential with some consistent performances (although I'd still like to see a better return of foals from him).

Now the closing stage awaits along with the Copa Libertadores. Our 2nd-placed finish in last season's Liguilla means we enter in the qualifying round but we'll have a tall order to reach the group stage as we have to face Internacional of Brazil, who also happen to be our parent club.

The chairman has accepted a bid over my head again - 1 million pounds for Matto. :mad: He picked up an injury after the bid was made so I was hoping he'd fail the medical but it was not to be...

Still, it represents a good profit on the 80k I paid for him 18 months ago ;)

Agreed Raware! As ever, he neglected the things I would have included in a deal like a large percentage of next sale clause, additional fees after international debut and a friendly :rolleyes:

I was surprised to be in the mix for top spot and even more surprised when we held onto it. Indeed, relegation battles are a distant memory, especially now that the low 29 point total from the season before I took over has been wiped off the accumulated points table. :)

Wow - my Defensor guys are really having a bad season, aren't they? :p Second from bottom and defeated 4-0 by Wanderers?!!? Disaster! ;)

You, on the other hand, are having a fantastic season - congrats on winning the opening stage! Matto looks great for a 20 year old - shame you were forced to let him go. Still, the cash can't hurt too much. Which club got the bargain on him?

Tough draw in the Copa Libertadores - best of luck anyway, and hope you can repeat your league success in the Closing Stage. :thup:

iseemonsters1 - Wisla Krakow were the bargain hunters. Hopefully he'll stay around Eastern Europe for a few years so I can sign him in his prime for one of the big Russian clubs ;)

GioGio85 - I don't think this chairman is going anywhere for the time being but a takeover would be nice (I've never benefitted from a tycoon takeover on FM, just promotions from within or new owners with no extra cash...)

Wanderers 2014/15 Closing Stage Preview

I got a news item offering me the chance to re-assess my league expectations for the rest of the season after our unexpected opening stage success so, with the Copa Libertaodres about to start as well, I thought I'd squeeze in an extra preview. ;)

Primera Division Profesional de Uruguay

Media Prediction: 9th

Board Expectations: Continental qualificaiton (closing stage)

Copa Libertadores

Board Expectations: Enjoy the experience

Transfer Budget: 660k

Wage Limit: 19,500 p/w

I thought I might as well tell the board I could qualify for continental competition seeing as winning the opening stage already gives us a good shot at that. ;) The sale of Matto meant we had a decent amount of money for transfers but I felt no need to spend it right away, especially as the best players available were free! Angelo Paso arrived on a free after his BATE contract expired. He will add some experience to our midfield options. In past saves, the South American U20 chapionship has provided rich pickings for great youngsters and so it proved again as my scouts spotted free agent Carlos Sosa playing for Paraguay's U20 side. He didn't stay a free agent for long and looks to be a hot prospect in the DM position. I was sent a few players on loan by parent clubs Internacional and Lanus. D'Agostin is the only one likely to get a game as he will provide good back up for my main strikers.

You seem quite settled in there at Wanderers. That can only mean ...

IT'S TIME TO GET ON THE ROAD AGAIN! <lol>

:D

Paso looks like a great bargain buy despite his ageing years! Are you surprised at how quickly you've managed to settle in at Wanderers?

DSYoungEsq - not just yet! As you say, I'm settled and want a good crack at the South American trophies. :)

Raware - Very happy with Paso and Sosa as well. :) I'm a little surprised at how quickly things turned around. Having said that, I thought the squad was quite good when I took over - I guess the previous manager just wasn't up to much!

Wanderers May 2015 Update

Copa Libertadores

My first venture into South American continental competition didn't last very long as Internacional effectively ended our hopes with 2 goals in the first 15 minutes of the first leg. We went on to lose that game 3-1 before gaining a credible 0-0 draw in Brazil. At least we can only do better next time!

Closing Stage

After our success in the Opening Stage, we experienced some frustration in the closing stage as we struggled to recapture our form. We simply drew too many games, often letting leads slip (what happens when your chairmen sells your in-form defender) or drawing blanks. When we found form, winning 3 of our last 4, it was too late to catch the leaders. One highlight was our final day victory over hated rivals Defensor Sporting - despite them being in better shape than when we beat them int eh opening stage, we tore them to shreds as we ran out 6-0 winners!! :eek:

Final Table

Disappointment though as we dropped too many points to stay on top of the overall table, meaning we have to play-off Nacional to win the right to meet Peñarol for the overall title.

Overall Table

Now we have a two-legged tie with Closing Stage champs Nacional before the Liguilla kicks off.

Unlucky in the Copa Libertadores - but that was an extremely difficult draw! Hopefully you'll do well enough in the Liguilla this season to make it into the group stage automatically.

It was a shame that you couldn't keep up your Opening Stage form in the Closing Stage - but still - another impressive season of progress, and still a chance to play for the championship. You can't have too many complaints about that! :thup: Of course, you have to go through the two biggest teams in the entire country to get there, but still - nice to even get to play for it. Best of luck in the playoffs!

(I'm not even going to dignify a certain result by mentioning it)

Wanderers June 2015 Update

Primera Division Play-Offs

As opening stage winners, we entered a play-off with closing stage champions Nacional with the winner advancing to the Championship play-off against Peñarol. We played at Nacional's stadium first and seemed to be heading for a credible 1-1 draw until young Ivorian defender Kouadio came up for a corner in injury time to power in a header, giving us an unexpected 2-1 win. Suddenly we were favourites to win the tie but something went wrong in the home leg. maybe it was over-confidence, maybe it was pressure but we were very quickly 3-0 down. I made changes at half-time but to no avail as we conceded again just after the break. We grabbed a consolation goal late on to make it a 4-1 loss on the night, 5-3 on aggreagte. The whole match was a stark reminder that we were not quite ready to challenge the big two.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Liguilla

Shortly after our play-off humiliation, we were back in action in the post-season Liguilla to decide which Uruguayan teams would qualify for next season's Copa Sudamericana and Copa Libertadores. Just as in the Nacional game, we played poorly but the difference was we somewhow ground out the results. Fénix, Peñarol and River Plate all fell victim to late winners after out-playing us for most of the game before we had another meeting and another defeat at the hands of Nacional. That left us 2nd in the table, one point behind our final game opponents Boston River. Again, we were poor against them but managed to snatch a win, this time with a alte first half goal from Soto. That result meant we leap-frogged Boston River into top spot and earned us a seeding straight into the group stage of next season's Copa Libertadores!

Liguilla Table

Damn that is one confusing structure...

Flamers

^^WHS

Erm, yeah good luck in whatever competition you're going in...Uruguay sure do make their league structure confusing. And most of you think MLS playoffs are confusing, the South American model are way more confusing to understand! Just win everything DodgeeD! :D

Disappointing to drop off the pace in the closing stage but nevertheless, 3rd in the overall table is still fantastic progress. Well done on your Liguilla success :thup:, sounds like it was touch and go during that last game as to whether you qualified. Well done though and i'm sure the money from the Libertadores next season will come in handy! :D

It's not that complicated once you are in. :) It would help if there was confirmation from the game as to which continental competition the team's qualified for (I've seen that post-season in the European Leagues). Perhaps it takes the computer some time to figure it all out as well :p

Raware - I'm happy with the progress but that may all be about to be undone.... More on that later

Wanderers 2014/15 Season Review

1926.png

Primera Divison Profesional de Uruguay

Opening Stage: 1st

Closing Stage: 7th

Overall: 3rd

Liguilla Pre-Libertadores y Pre-Sudamericana: 1st

Copa Libertadores: Preliminary Round

Delighted to have won my first trophies with Wanderers! The opening stage success was unexpected but we stayed consistent whereas the only consistency shown by our rivals was how frequently they dropped points. The second half of the season was more of a struggle as we lost our most reliable defender Matto thanks to the chairman's interference and had some trouble with injuries. We genrally lacked the ability to kill off games and drew far too many matches, leaving us in 7th place. The season ended on a sour note as we were on the wrong end of a thrashing from Nacional in the opeaning/closing stage play-off but we were happy just to be there!

Our first foray into continental competition under my management was short-lived as a tough draw paired us with Brazilian giants İnternacional in the Copa Lİbertadores Preliminary Round. A 3-1 aggregate defeat ended our participation farly quickly.

There was a final flourish to the season though as we entered the Liguilla with the other teams from the top 6 of the overall Uruguayan table. Despite below average performaces, we ground out a series of single goal victories (bar another defeat to Nacional) to top the standings and win the competition! That success will see us seeded staright into the group stage of the Copa Libertadores next season.

Two trophies in one season also saw me pick up the first individual honour of my career to date as I was named the Uruguayan Primera Division Manager of the Year. :)

Key Players

Once more, Jonathan Soto was topscorer and the Fans' Player of the Year. HOwever, he still had a couple of mini goal droughts and I would like to have a more consistent frontman. Alexis Navarro was one of our most consistent players this season, only missing two games and adding stability to the left side of defence. Santiago Lopez was also highly consistent this season and the right midifielder's experience was vital to our success. Both Navarro and Lopez made the Primera Division Team of the Year.

Javier Guedes continued his development with an impressive 12 clean sheets in 23 league games for the young keeper. He's getting a lot of interest from clubs in Europe so I hope I can hold on to him over the summer. Another youngster who did well was one of last season's signings Leandro Chavez. Not quite first choice on the left wing yet but he will be soon. Georges Kouadio also showed his potential this season with some commanding performances in defence answering the questions of 'who?' raised when I signed him from his native Ivory Coast. Despite only being with us for the second half of the season (when we struggled more) another youngster to show his quality was Carlos Sosa, signed after impressing at the U20 World Cup and ending the season in Paraguay's Copa America squad.

The Season Ahead

I'm hoping for more progress. We have about 3 million pounds in the bank, the board have begun to upgrade youth facilities again and my rep has increased to continental. I'll be on the look out for young Uruguayan prospects as we have enough foreigners already. Hopefully, we'll get some more silverware!

5 Year Career Summary

Now I've reached the end of my 5th season in this career, I thought I'd give a round up of my career so far:

Koroum (Egypt)

[u][b][font=Courier New]
Season[/font][/b][/u][font=Courier New][b]  | [/b][b][u]Division[/u]    | [u]Position[/u] | [/b][u][b]Cup[/b][/u][b]   | [u]Continental[/u] | [u]Achievements[/u]          
[/b][url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/241740-Back-on-the-Tribute-Trail-DodgeeD-s-Second-World-Tour?p=6246756&viewfull=1#post6246756"]2010-11[/url] | 1st (North) | 3rd      | 1stR  | N/A         | N/A                   
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/241740-Back-on-the-Tribute-Trail-DodgeeD-s-Second-World-Tour?p=6268443&viewfull=1#post6268443"]2011-12[/url] | 1st (North) | 1st      | 1stQR | N/A         | Promoted as champions
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/241740-Back-on-the-Tribute-Trail-DodgeeD-s-Second-World-Tour?p=6320745&viewfull=1#post6320745"]2012-13[/url] | Premier     | 13th     | 1stR  | N/A         | Survived

Left club May 2013[/font]

Wanderers (Uruguay)

[b][font=Courier New][u]Season[/u] | [u]Division[/u] | [u]Open[/u] | [u]Close[/u] | [u]Overall[/u] | [u]Liguilla[/u] | [u]Continental[/u] | [u]Achievements[/u][/font][/b]
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/241740-Back-on-the-Tribute-Trail-DodgeeD-s-Second-World-Tour?p=6336522&viewfull=1#post6336522"][font=Courier New]2013-14[/font][/url][font=Courier New] | Primera | 5th | 6th | 5th | 2nd | N/A | N/A
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/241740-Back-on-the-Tribute-Trail-DodgeeD-s-Second-World-Tour?p=6361293&viewfull=1#post6361293"]2014-15[/url] | Primera | 1st | 7th | 3rd | 1st | Lib Prelim Round | Opening Stage Champs, Liguilla Winners
[/font]

Achievements: Competitions

Egyptian 1st Division (North) Champions (2012)

Uruguayan Primera Division Opening Stage Winners (2014)

Liguilla Winners (2015)

Achievements: Awards

Egyptian 1st Division Manager of the Year (2012)

Uruguyan Premier Division Manager of the Year (2015)

Thanks ToMexico!! Just commented on your thread as well :)

My scouts (and the odd agent) have done a good job in finding me exciting young talent and I'll be keeping track of them wherever my career takes me. I'd like to achieve more success with Wanders but, as I alluded to Raware in an earlier comment, my success is in danger of being undone.... I'm going through pre-season as we speak and my chairman is accepting pretty much any bid that comes in for my youngsters and key players. Frustrating as we have money in the bank. :mad: I'm seriously considering jumping ship if a decent opportunity comes up (even though I signed a new 2 year deal towards the end of last season).

Archived