Opposition Instructions..

Does anyone here ever use this? I very rarely do but my results are mixed at best. I just wondered if anyone else does and whats the best way to go about it?

Ta

I use it. Really helps as if you don't use sometimes good players in teams will rip you apart. Like if you are Swansea and you are playing Cardiff you are going to be wanting to stop Bellamy for making an impact, opposition instructions can help with this. If you are not quite sure what to set for certain players just go with your ass man. :thup:

An assistant manager with good tactical knowledge and JPA is very helpful if you're unsure what OI's to use on opposing players.

I use a combination of assistant suggestions and my own knowledge of player attributes, to guide me with opposition instructions. I believe that set right, they're very important. Not setting any, can leave strong and talented opposing players free to maximise their performances and exploit weakness in your own tactics.

I always show strikers and midfielders onto their weaker foot. With wingers, it depends on the strikers more than anything... if they're poor in the air, then I show the winger to the outside. Usually that means they're being shown onto their better foot, but I can live with that, since the striker is unlikely to get onto the end of the cross. If the striker is good in the air, but poor with the ball at his feet, then I'll show the winger inside and force him to make a pass with his weaker foot.

When it comes to hard tackling, I tend to be vicious. Any opposition player, regardless of position, with Bravery and Strength < 10 gets hard tackled. Also, if I know a player is particularily injury prone, like Michael Owen or Jonathan Woodgate, I'll hard tackle them as well, to try and injure them. Early in the game, that means a forced substitution; late in the game, that means reducing them to ten men. Either way, I win.

I also like to close down always on the opponent's fullbacks, while also showing them inside. Keeps them for being able to send as many passes down the flanks, and forces them to pass to the centre of the pitch, which plays to my strengths. I usually use a 4-3-1-2 or 4-1-3-2, depending on the opposition, so I've got lots of players in the centre of the park to intercept passes through the middle.

My simlpe approach is this. All that SI have put into the game has a use when playing the game. Using 'oi's' is, to my way of thinking, very important. The best way to implement them is to use your Asst Man. For this to be at it's best, make sure that your Asst Man. has the crucial level of attributes in 'tactical knowlege' and 'judging player ability', as mentioned above for whatever league you are playing in. For example, Premiership, 'tactical knowledge' 15+ and 'JPA' = 15+. You can drop these by two for each league level below the Premiership. If you can't get the Asst Man. with the required attributes then get the best you can. His judgements will usually be better than yours. Also, remember to use the Asst Man's 'OI's' after each substitution your opponent makes during a match. More than once an opponent has made a substitution and I have not noticed and the 'sub' has gone on to score an important goal, costing me at least a point.

What's the downside to showing a fullback inside (i.e., if it doesn't work)?

Few downsides, as near as I can tell. If it doesn't work, he just passes down the flank, which is what often happens without the instruction. Maybe the occasional long ball forward, but usually my defense can handle anything that comes to them in the air.

If you can't get the Asst Man. with the required attributes then get the best you can. His judgements will usually be better than yours. Also, remember to use the Asst Man's 'OI's' after each substitution your opponent makes during a match. More than once an opponent has made a substitution and I have not noticed and the 'sub' has gone on to score an important goal, costing me at least a point.

The assistant manager will never have better judgement than you. OIs are very simple: show one-footed players onto their weaker foot, hard tackle weak, cowardly, or injury prone players, and depending on the quality of your defenders, occasionally you might have to tight mark a forward or playmaking midfielder. The assistant manager, even if he's tactically astute, will give you some poor instructions-- such as hard tackling someone with 16+ bravery and strength, or having a slow central defender try to tightly mark a fast forward. I've even seen my assistant manager try to hard tackle an opposing central defender, which was perhaps the silliest instruction I've seen.

Few downsides, as near as I can tell. If it doesn't work, he just passes down the flank, which is what often happens without the instruction. Maybe the occasional long ball forward, but usually my defense can handle anything that comes to them in the air.

The assistant manager will never have better judgement than you. OIs are very simple: show one-footed players onto their weaker foot, hard tackle weak, cowardly, or injury prone players, and depending on the quality of your defenders, occasionally you might have to tight mark a forward or playmaking midfielder. The assistant manager, even if he's tactically astute, will give you some poor instructions-- such as hard tackling someone with 16+ bravery and strength, or having a slow central defender try to tightly mark a fast forward. I've even seen my assistant manager try to hard tackle an opposing central defender, which was perhaps the silliest instruction I've seen.

Brend, I shall now look to doing the 'OI's' myself, again. I used to do them just the way you have said but somewhere along the way I read that if you got a top Asst Man. that it would be better if you left them to him. I am now searching TT'10 etc to try to find exactly where I read about the 'OI's'. If anyone knows then please be forthcoming.

• 2 weeks later...

What OI do you guys give the two strikers in a 4-4-2. Take Defoe - Crouch for example. Crouch tackling hard en tight marking always but what do you guys use for the fast, little strikers (Defoe, Rossi, ...)?

@Miek: I'd use hard tackling, it's really the only thing you can do against the fast little weak ones. If they have low technique and/or dribbling though, you can use "weaker foot" if one of their feet is "weak" or "right/left only". You can see that in the "positions" of the respective player.

@op: OIs become better as your team becomes better. In lower leagues, I am under the impression that OIs, especially many of them, will make your players act strange. In the "middle" leagues, some are OK. In the higher leagues, I definitely use them every game. Look for obvious weaknesses in opponent players whom you think are dangerous and use OIs on them. Weak player, low technique, high aggression = hard tackling - weak foot, low technique/dribbling = weaker foot - slow player, low technique, low heading = tight mark - slow player, low technique/passing = high closing down

Also, if there are players for the opposing team which are really weak, let them get the ball by tight mark = never, and let them give you the ball by hard tackling.

Of course, the effectiveness of OIs also depends on your players' strengths relative to the respective opponent player. This comparison would be very easy to make if you use man marking; with zonal marking, you have to rely on your general feeling.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know what player attributes to look at when setting Opposition Instructions manually?

I dont want to depend solely on my Assistant to set Opposition Instruction.

For closing down, you want relatively low (<15) Technique and Dribbling otherwise they just run around you. And try to close down players who have a good long shot.

Tight mark anyone you want, but definitely their best players.

Tackle hard their best players who you cant close down (high dribbling + technique) and the least brave players

Tackle easy their worst players (i.e. rubbish passing, etc. to let them do what they do best - nothing)

Show everyone apart from wingers onto weaker foot.

Wingers: you need to look at the forwards:

Fast, short forwards, Wingers go outside

Tall, slow forwards, Wingers go inside

Tall, fast forwards, Wingers go inside (but close them down and maybe a bit of hard tackling)

N.B. if the wingers are inside forwards (look at preferred foot) then show them outside.

Fast, short forwards, Wingers go outside

Tall, slow forwards, Wingers go inside

Tall, fast forwards, Wingers go inside (but close them down and maybe a bit of hard tackling)

N.B. if the wingers are inside forwards (look at preferred foot) then show them outside.

Thanks for the summary, but can you elaborate more on those four parts? I am assuming you meant that I need to do something different for inside forwards as oppose to normal strikers for weaker foot setting?

Thanks for the summary, but can you elaborate more on those four parts? I am assuming you meant that I need to do something different for inside forwards as oppose to normal strikers for weaker foot setting?

Yeah... if the inside forwards have rubbish crossing and/or good finishing, show them onto the wing (i.e. LW inside forward onto left foot)

If their crossings good and/or finishing is rubbish, show them inside (i.e. LW inside forward onto right foot). However, if they have good passing vision, etc. and the striker has good pace, the through balls may cause you havoc, so be careful!

• 6 months later...

No, but if their left/right wing players have the opposite weaker foot (ie LM player is right-footed and vice versa), or they are good at finishing, then show them outside (LW player on to left foot)

If the forwards are fast, and short, then they are likely to be rubbish at heading/jumping (with the exception of Hernandez-esque players), so you can show the wingers down the wing so that they can cross to their hearts' content while your centre backs clear the ball.

If the forwards are tall and fast, they are likely to be headers of the ball, so show the wingers inside so that your CBs can intercept any through ball to the strikers

If the forwards are tall AND fast, or they have one fast and one tall striker, then its different. I've changed my view on this a bit. If you have faith that your CBs can win any header with their tall striker(s), then show the wingers outside. If you feel, however, that they are more equipped to deal with the fast strikers, then show both wingers inside. However, still hard tackle the wingers to discourage them as they are often the strikers' main supply lines.

N.B. (again) if the wingers are fast (which they usually are), then NEVER tight mark them (they can too easily turn past the full back and leave them choking on dust, so your Preferred Foot OI is completely useless

Archived