Player price.

Would you like a price graph?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a price graph?

• Yes i would love it.
    • No chance, sounds like a load of balls.

I just find it really interesting that the original poll question and OP was very open minded and seemed like an active forum for discussion regarding this idea. Since then Dirty Harry has done nothing but bitchfist anybody that thinks the idea is a negative or even feels indifferent about it! And the amount of derogaratory comments like "Now, Now children stop squabbling" it sounds like Dirty Harry just wants to lord it over. This is a poll about an idea for a feature, why can't it be kept that way and have people posting comments that are relevant to their feelings towards said idea, in other words, good, bad or indifferent.

Personally, I feel it could be a good idea if implemented as a real-time cost calculation in reference to the current marker rather than a cost-history of a single player. I also believe that it would only be a gimmick or a toy, and if it would interfere with game speeds, it's probably not a viable option.

(awaiting bitchfisting from Dirty Harry :p)

Sounds like a pretty nice idea, although I'm not sure that the history of a player's value is currently stored in the game, so it could potentially need quite a bit of data storage for long term games with large databases. Perhaps someone with better programming knowledge could explain if it would make a significant difference?

Surely it would only take up as much room as a player's attribute history?

As it is, I wouldn't be overly interested in it as anything other than checking out the history of my players.

Surely it would only take up as much room as a player's attribute history?

That data is only stored for up to 12 months, for players at our clubs. I was thinking that for this to be meaningful it would need to cover the entire career and be available for every player.

I just find it really interesting that the original poll question and OP was very open minded and seemed like an active forum for discussion regarding this idea. Since then Dirty Harry has done nothing but bitchfist anybody that thinks the idea is a negative or even feels indifferent about it! And the amount of derogaratory comments like "Now, Now children stop squabbling" it sounds like Dirty Harry just wants to lord it over. This is a poll about an idea for a feature, why can't it be kept that way and have people posting comments that are relevant to their feelings towards said idea, in other words, good, bad or indifferent.

Personally, I feel it could be a good idea if implemented as a real-time cost calculation in reference to the current marker rather than a cost-history of a single player. I also believe that it would only be a gimmick or a toy, and if it would interfere with game speeds, it's probably not a viable option.

Yeah I agree, he also says "shuh" or "be quiet" using various account on the forum. I would be a mod I would check the Ip (unless they can't) and ban at least temporarily double accounts. Anyways

8-) (msn rolling eyes smiley, just incase you don't know)

Yeah I agree, he also says "shuh" or "be quiet" using various account on the forum. I would be a mod I would check the Ip (unless they can't) and ban at least temporarily double accounts. Anyways

Believe what you want to, just because the vote isn't going your way no need to cry about it :S.

Believe what you want to, just because the vote isn't going your way no need to cry about it :S.

Iirc this is your poll, anybody that votes in it is just giving their opinion and washing their hands of the final result. You are the only one invested in it, and this is apparent by your treatment of voters (or general opinions from people) above.

I'm just saying, this is a friendly forum, this thread should be for open discussion and not dictating the opinion that your ideas are better than others, and that really, please, just be polite :)

We want to be friends :)

Interesting...

I have to admit when I was scanning down the page and I read that post, I thought it was Dirty Harry and started commenting on it, before looking up and noticing it was a different user!

To be honest, we should really get back on topic.

I still believe this could be a good idea if utilised correctly and was not a strain on memory (e.g. works on current gametime market trends, rather than entire history of a players value) However, I could imagine that it would take a lot of coding to implement such a realtime market tool, and actually, all things considered, how useful would it be...?

All in all, a very interesting topic. :)

I have to admit when I was scanning down the page and I read that post, I thought it was Dirty Harry and started commenting on it, before looking up and noticing it was a different user!

To be honest, we should really get back on topic.

I still believe this could be a good idea if utilised correctly and was not a strain on memory (e.g. works on current gametime market trends, rather than entire history of a players value) However, I could imagine that it would take a lot of coding to implement such a realtime market tool, and actually, all things considered, how useful would it be...?

All in all, a very interesting topic. :)

Yes, let's keep it on track. As for coding, from my little experience of full game coding it wouldn't add much onto the already present code. Especially if you use it as part of the already present profile.

Yes, let's keep it on track. As for coding, from my little experience of full game coding it wouldn't add much onto the already present code. Especially if you use it as part of the already present profile.

I suppose you're correct. After all it would technically be a copy and rehash of the current attribute history. Although as mentioned previously, storing value data for the entire career of everyplayer may become rather memory heavy. Also, how often are you considering the gaps between values? e.g. on the attributes it's a monthly gap for a year. Would this be the players value at the end of every season for a career? If so, that may not be as daunting for people with lower spec PC's. In your opinion Dirty Harry, and not as a rebuttal to anybody else's remark, what do you believe the advantages are to the inclusion of this gadget? Like... what would you personally use it for?

Well, as with these sorts of add-ons the uses are varied from person to person. Being a bit of a stato i would simply like to be able to bring up a graph that shows how a players valuation fluctutates during certain moments in a season, and also from some quirks i have in mind for testing to see if they change the player's value and for how long etc. Not the already known Initial transfer free, or contrat renewing factors but other things i have on my mind. I am sure many other people will find their own little geeky statoish things they'd either just want to quickly know then forget or use it to build up a player/plaers evaluation chart...i know many of us play with a pen and paper readily next to the computer for quick of ease while playing FM unwindowed.

I'd also like to monitor several players in my own squad already under different conditions. For example in my last game after becoming 31 (and with no new added contracts and no one else bought him) i managed to get Frank Lampard's price go up from roughly 2 million to 7.5 milion and slightly over. Noticing that was what got me interested initially. I'd be able watch where his graphs starts to go up, or peek etc and see what else i had been making him do at the time, or what the team was doing.

I've also had a player over 32 i think it was, no goalkeeper, and his value also increased, this was a different game however and i would have liked to have ben able to bring up his value graph and use it to figure things out.

I'd also like to use it for monitoring young people. For example, if you have someone you really want to buy (but don't have the cash quite yet) you could hypothetically monitor his price development in order to make sure you hit the mark when it's come to the point of buying.

As almost mentioned a lot of it would be down to my first squad. Watching if a player's value changes over time due to being out in a certain position and playing a certain style. Same goes for positional changes. You could for example start a certain player on a new training routine and positional training give it a while and see not only if his stats and play impove but his price also; and at what rate.

A lot of players have been saying things like "price rockets at buying which makes this pretty useless" etc. However you'd take all these points into consideration (as we already do) and amend your perception of the value given. To add onto that, this would also be a good way to see how fast vaious players "transfer prices" plummet or in some examples increase etc.

It also allows for many other little stato experiments and interests. People who aren't so anal and into these kind of things won't find as much use for the option. However as it will be relatively easy on your computer's resources and wont need a skin change or any other great changes it won't hurt these people. Plus i'd bet you a Kangaroo that at least half if not a majority of the people who don't want it/like it would end up using it to some extent.

(There are many other reasons as to why i'd want this however as i had to work the laste shift last night and i've been up all day i'm fiinding putting all my ideas down on paper/screen hard).

:eek:

-

-

-

-

A WHOLE kangaroo? :p

That has to be the best thing you've said about the topic all thread! When you put it that way it makes a bit more sense, it was much less biased, and much more open to different uses. Also quite in depth so kudos!

I think it should probably be restricted to players you have in your team. I think it would be quite heavy on the resources to have a constantly updating values database running for EVERY player, maybe if the value only changed as often as player attributes, but from my experience, a player value can fluctuate wildly throughout a season. Especially in LLM where all of the values are in the £0s to £10ks at tops. Due to this the value can go up only £500, or £1,000, on a good (or bad!) run of form, or participation in a cup. For this reason, I'm not sure it would be implemented.

However Dirty Harry, I am much like yourself and always have a notepad (well actually, 2 laptops set up next to my FM running PC, but that's more necessity - due to damage :p) and I think a 3rd party standalone app would work wonders for this, as a manager wouldn't do this research on his own, he'd have his scouts run a background check, so for you to use a standalone that just watches a players value... well that wouldn't add to the game's processes or anything, and as long as the application was running, it would note down any value changes.

Thinking about it... What if there was just a new box in the scouting report that mentions how this players value has acted recently? "John Smith's value dropped over the past few months due to injury, if you wanted to buy him, i'd do it now, as his potential could cause his value to sky rocket" etc.

:eek:

-

-

-

-

A WHOLE kangaroo? :p

That has to be the best thing you've said about the topic all thread! When you put it that way it makes a bit more sense, it was much less biased, and much more open to different uses. Also quite in depth so kudos!

I think it should probably be restricted to players you have in your team. I think it would be quite heavy on the resources to have a constantly updating values database running for EVERY player, maybe if the value only changed as often as player attributes, but from my experience, a player value can fluctuate wildly throughout a season. Especially in LLM where all of the values are in the £0s to £10ks at tops. Due to this the value can go up only £500, or £1,000, on a good (or bad!) run of form, or participation in a cup. For this reason, I'm not sure it would be implemented.

However Dirty Harry, I am much like yourself and always have a notepad (well actually, 2 laptops set up next to my FM running PC, but that's more necessity - due to damage :p) and I think a 3rd party standalone app would work wonders for this, as a manager wouldn't do this research on his own, he'd have his scouts run a background check, so for you to use a standalone that just watches a players value... well that wouldn't add to the game's processes or anything, and as long as the application was running, it would note down any value changes.

Thinking about it... What if there was just a new box in the scouting report that mentions how this players value has acted recently? "John Smith's value dropped over the past few months due to injury, if you wanted to buy him, i'd do it now, as his potential could cause his value to sky rocket" etc.

I'd think the very limit i would personally settle at is a whole season, then have the end of season 1 (graph and final value) which, in the case of the final figure is stored and left as aforever figure at the end of his season, maybe next to his rating. (Then you could also graph his yearly change if you wanted to after a player had been at your club for a decade or so.) Then when your first season 2 value is put in you could see if the world cup etc/press has increased their values etc. I'm not sure about your idea with "John Smith," but like i said everyone will want to use thise feasture to their own likes and stato obsessives. I did and do agree to it maybe being limited to either players in your team or players you have subscribed to and/or ones on your short list.

Lol and yes, a whole skippy. You gotta box him first though. (small tip: their legs can rip limbs off but mostly they go to rip out your guts).

It's a stato thing i can think of tons of reasons. Maybe you're just not that into stats.

I don't know how many FM players are into stats that can make this justifiable.

If it can be proven that the majority of players do want this as badly as you do, then yeah, maybe it should be included.

But again, the price is not always representative. As an example I just loaded a game on FM09 as Chelsea, and tried to buy Benayoun from Liverpool. He's listed as 6m but the cheeky Scousers want 30m just because I'm Chelsea.

That's quite an artificial increase and completely of no use, is it? He's hardly worth that much anyway.

if it can be put into the game for those that really want it without being too much effort I see no problem in having it but I dont really think this is a neccessity to have in the game. In real life we dont know what a players value is and we certainyl cant monitor this over the course of a 15 - 20 year career. I prefer to look at tangible sale and purchase prices.

If it can be proven that the majority of players do want this as badly as you do, then yeah, maybe it should be included.

But again, the price is not always representative. As an example I just loaded a game on FM09 as Chelsea, and tried to buy Benayoun from Liverpool. He's listed as 6m but the cheeky Scousers want 30m just because I'm Chelsea.

That's quite an artificial increase and completely of no use, is it? He's hardly worth that much anyway.

You as the user take these kinds of thnigs into consideration though, then amend them with your own experience and intelligence to what you think they should/could/would be. In a very similar way you do in real life when a player is valued etc.

i would simply like to be able to bring up a graph that shows how a players valuation fluctutates during certain moments in a season, and also from some quirks i have in mind for testing to see if they change the player's value and for how long etc

What you want here is a study or a "guide" on how to act on players price (edit : Taodi is spot on by speaking of third party tool). However whatever trick you try, they would work the same way on every player. Your graph would only allow you to realise this study once for all. Believe me once you would know all criteria that affect a price and their extent, you wouldn't need such a feature anymore. Therefore it seems for me a completely pointless feature, regarding this idea at least.

Plus you can still realise this study by yourself, either by writing down on your note with your pen prices at different date, or by holidaying one season using different tests from the start (later in your post you speak about testing price evolution according to the position used for a player; lol).

However if this is the reason why you would like this feature, then it is pretty pointless for a manager (we are not supposed to be statisticians) and moreover in Football Manager (whose features are supposed to replicate the RL, not to show how some trick can become parts of the game to exploit).

If you have someone you really want to buy (but don't have the cash quite yet) you could hypothetically monitor his price development in order to make sure you hit the mark when it's come to the point of buying

Remember : IRL managers do not "monitor" a player's price (wtf?) and however to do this, you would either need to check very often the graph of each player you target, which you would find annoying and would never do, or have a news to subscribe to be advised on low price reached (as I said in a previous post). Again, don't dream, it s a football game, not a player exchange.

No, because IRL managers spend the cash on the players they want should they afford them. They generally have a need at one time and at this time do a return-cost analysis (depending on the caliber of the player, ie youth and promises included) then they decide to bid or not. They don't think "ok the price might drop someday so I should wait, hopefully before the end of the transfer window, or for the next transfer window (and during the next 6 month I ll try not to feel the pain)", or "the player is back from injury so his price is a bargain now" because if the price is at a low due to the player fitness it means he might never recover fully, which never happens in the game (they always recover with no aftereffect).

It's a stato thing i can think of tons of reasons. Maybe you're just not that into stats.

Lol trust me that's not a point at all. I am far into stats and far away from your idea =)

I am into stats. But when you say you can think of tons of reasons, why don't you give me some?

"Well, as with these sorts of add-ons the uses are varied from person to person. Being a bit of a stato i would simply like to be able to bring up a graph that shows how a players valuation fluctutates during certain moments in a season, and also from some quirks i have in mind for testing to see if they change the player's value and for how long etc. Not the already known Initial transfer free, or contrat renewing factors but other things i have on my mind. I am sure many other people will find their own little geeky statoish things they'd either just want to quickly know then forget or use it to build up a player/plaers evaluation chart...i know many of us play with a pen and paper readily next to the computer for quick of ease while playing FM unwindowed.

I'd also like to monitor several players in my own squad already under different conditions. For example in my last game after becoming 31 (and with no new added contracts and no one else bought him) i managed to get Frank Lampard's price go up from roughly 2 million to 7.5 milion and slightly over. Noticing that was what got me interested initially. I'd be able watch where his graphs starts to go up, or peek etc and see what else i had been making him do at the time, or what the team was doing.

I've also had a player over 32 i think it was, no goalkeeper, and his value also increased, this was a different game however and i would have liked to have ben able to bring up his value graph and use it to figure things out.

I'd also like to use it for monitoring young people. For example, if you have someone you really want to buy (but don't have the cash quite yet) you could hypothetically monitor his price development in order to make sure you hit the mark when it's come to the point of buying.

As almost mentioned a lot of it would be down to my first squad. Watching if a player's value changes over time due to being out in a certain position and playing a certain style. Same goes for positional changes. You could for example start a certain player on a new training routine and positional training give it a while and see not only if his stats and play impove but his price also; and at what rate.

A lot of players have been saying things like "price rockets at buying which makes this pretty useless" etc. However you'd take all these points into consideration (as we already do) and amend your perception of the value given. To add onto that, this would also be a good way to see how fast vaious players "transfer prices" plummet or in some examples increase etc.

It also allows for many other little stato experiments and interests. People who aren't so anal and into these kind of things won't find as much use for the option. However as it will be relatively easy on your computer's resources and wont need a skin change or any other great changes it won't hurt these people. Plus i'd bet you a Kangaroo that at least half if not a majority of the people who don't want it/like it would end up using it to some extent.

(There are many other reasons as to why i'd want this however as i had to work the laste shift last night and i've been up all day i'm fiinding putting all my ideas down on paper/screen hard)."

What you want here is a study or a "guide" on how to act on players price (edit : Taodi is spot on by speaking of third party tool). However whatever trick you try, they would work the same way on every player. Your graph would only allow you to realise this study once for all. Believe me once you would know all criteria that affect a price and their extent, you wouldn't need such a feature anymore. Therefore it seems for me a completely pointless feature, regarding this idea at least.

Plus you can still realise this study by yourself, either by writing down on your note with your pen prices at different date, or by holidaying one season using different tests from the start (later in your post you speak about testing price evolution according to the position used for a player; lol).

However if this is the reason why you would like this feature, then it is pretty pointless for a manager (we are not supposed to be statisticians) and moreover in Football Manager (whose features are supposed to replicate the RL, not to show how some trick can become parts of the game to exploit).

Remember : IRL managers do not "monitor" a player's price (wtf?) and however to do this, you would either need to check very often the graph of each player you target, which you would find annoying and would never do, or have a news to subscribe to be advised on low price reached (as I said in a previous post). Again, don't dream, it s a football game, not a player exchange.

No, because IRL managers spend the cash on the players they want should they afford them. They generally have a need at one time and at this time do a return-cost analysis (depending on the caliber of the player, ie youth and promises included) then they decide to bid or not. They don't think "ok the price might drop someday so I should wait, hopefully before the end of the transfer window, or for the next transfer window (and during the next 6 month I ll try not to feel the pain)", or "the player is back from injury so his price is a bargain now" because if the price is at a low due to the player fitness it means he might never recover fully, which never happens in the game (they always recover with no aftereffect).

Lol trust me that's not a point at all. I am far into stats and far away from your idea =)

You make some fair points, however you forgot in the real world you wouldn't be working alone in a club. You would actually have someone doing exactly what this graph/function is proposing to do. You'd let your scouts/coaches know you're looking to let go of so and so and they'd reply with options. All of which would have a price on them, like the scout report already does but it needs to be more flexible than that. Villa's price for example would have gone up over the world cup, and many others change, but some people who did aswell, or relatively almost aswell but because they're not from a famous country their price went up less etc.

There would also be someone following the prices of your possible youth exports incase you need to get some cash quickly, same with sqaud players who could be axed. ASlso for the youth players you want to keep and people you want to develop.

As for "realising this study yourself." I presume mean do it yourself, well who the hell wants to have all these bits of paper all over the place, especially as they can easily be lost or have tea spilt on them in the early hours. Try and think out of the box and not just for yourself.

So far the vote seems to say more than enough people would want it. As for the huge sum of badly priced deals you as the user can take into mind the reasons they may be going on, a club owes someone from an old deal a la Portsmouth, or a club REALLY not wanting to sell a player.

So far the vote seems to say more than enough people would want it. As for the huge sum of badly priced deals you as the user can take into mind the reasons they may be going on, a club owes someone from an old deal a la Portsmouth, or a club REALLY not wanting to sell a player.

I'd say many people want things for the sake of wanting them.

There are many reasons for disparity in values. Like I said it's all a matter of opinion. Nowadays clubs hold other clubs to ransom just because they know the other party has lots of dosh (Man City). This inflates figures artificially and really makes the whole transfer system a form of mockery. Sadly this trend is reflected in FM as well.

It's not so much about stats more than basic economics. Prices go up because:

1) Product is good (subjective)

2) Product is popular, OR

3) Because the seller says so

Opposite is true for price decreases.

This is the only new idea in the thread that I like, it has a lot of potential:

Mr Scout suggests that you should view Joe Bloggs as a long-term target - since he has just signed a new contract you will have to overpay for him at the moment.

Mr Scout points out that while Joe Bloggs is happy at his club, his contract is starting to run down. He recommends making an offer in the near future before contract negotiations begin.

Mr Scout has heard that X Club may be currently looking to buy a potential replacement for Joe Bloggs. He suggests that if you wait until later in the transfer window, Bloggs may be available for a knock-down price

Mr Scout points out that Joe Bloggs has only a short while left on his contract and he is unlikely to agree new term with his present club. He suggests waiting until the end of the season so that you can capture Bloggs for free

So so many possibilities. I like it!

I think that the idea I mentioned above and noted by pelicanstuff could actually work as just an extension of the current scouting box "Transfer Information".

It definitely sounds like the sort of thing a real scout would say. Especially if they're going to say something like "This player is likely to be available for ## to ##" It's simply an extension of that. I'm feeling more and more as though the extra memory it'll take to cover holding EVERY players history of values will be very difficult (and yes you can say only store the ones in your shortlist, but when you add someone to the shortlist it will then have to generate the previous values... so it'll need ALL of them in the memory anyway, each regen spawn date would be hell! Although I am 100% up for a standalone/3rd party program/app which compiles this data and would probably use it for the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Having a scout tell you it wouldn't be worth bothering to unsettle this player because it's his boyhood favourite club, or that he has only just moved there. Or he has been upset by something recently, or he could be playing at a higher level, or hasn't had many matches and giving advice accordingly... well that would just give the scouts a bit of personality and would be superb!

This is the only new idea in the thread that I like, it has a lot of potential:

Mr Scout suggests that you should view Joe Bloggs as a long-term target - since he has just signed a new contract you will have to overpay for him at the moment.

Mr Scout points out that while Joe Bloggs is happy at his club, his contract is starting to run down. He recommends making an offer in the near future before contract negotiations begin.

Mr Scout has heard that X Club may be currently looking to buy a potential replacement for Joe Bloggs. He suggests that if you wait until later in the transfer window, Bloggs may be available for a knock-down price

Mr Scout points out that Joe Bloggs has only a short while left on his contract and he is unlikely to agree new term with his present club. He suggests waiting until the end of the season so that you can capture Bloggs for free

So so many possibilities. I like it!

Although these wouldn't be my primary uses for it, i can see why other peope would use it that way and why it would enhance the game hugely.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok so now that it appears this would be a welcome addition to the game in some form, who do i take it to and how do i take it further?

The thread is here so I am sure it will get looked at. Some threads get marked down as a 'suggestion tag' I think it is, that come up with a good suggestion that SI like the look of. You can maybe post a link of this thread into the thread that specifically asks for peoples idea's on future features/changes that can make future FM's better etc.

The thread is here so I am sure it will get looked at. Some threads get marked down as a 'suggestion tag' I think it is, that come up with a good suggestion that SI like the look of. You can maybe post a link of this thread into the thread that specifically asks for peoples idea's on future features/changes that can make future FM's better etc.

You wouldn't be able to point me in the direction of the thread/forum part that suggestions go to could you? I remember seeing it before this site got revamped now i can't find it >.<

Archived