Unsackable option.

Once again, a thread is full of moaning idealists who are completely out of touch with reality.

Yes, in a perfect world, being unsackable would be a bad thing for the game.

But in reality, we're playing a buggy game where you can get sacked for getting relegated from the Premiership after winning 3 back-to-back promotions from League 2.

If I had the choice between an unsackable option and relying on SI fixing confidence bugs, I'd take the unsackable option every day, at least I know it'll work.

This is the best idea we've had on the forums in a long time and I hope it makes it in 8.0.2.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scousebr:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

I repeat - if someone wants to continue with the same club for the long term and they get the sack, what's wrong with simply retiring and then adding a new user (same profile) and taking over the same club? Yes, you lose your personal reputation credits, but if you're staying at the same club, that doesn't matter. You still see the club's progress over time.

In essence, there is already an "unsackable" option in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there can be an option without losing the reputation credits, hall of fame trophies and the like, why not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're sticking with just one club and you're winning lots of "reputation credits, hall of fame trophis and the like" then why would you get the sack? And if you get the sack before your building program is complete, then you wouldn't have any credits to speak of.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm just against on the principal that it makes the game unrealistic, not because it's a ppor idea but however you look at it it's basically a cheat like entering a code on certain games that makes you invincible for example. Where's the fun in completing something knowing you can't lose? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sod realism, for some it would make the game more "fun" and although the recent FM games have been so tough they should be moved from the "gaming" section of PC World software to the "Business Applications" section, his would be a great feature - obviously as a selectable option though - for those who sacrifice fun for "realism"*. Would make learning the game easier.

For those who hark on a bout realism, see how would they react if they get a news message "Manager x has been dismissed by Club y FC after allegations in the z newspaper that he is having an affair with the Chairmans wife", thats realism and you can keep it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think getting sacked is part of the game and needs to stay, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how would a 'disable manager sackings' option make them any less "a part of the game"?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that is why it should just be an option for people who want to play it like that. Its true its just a game. If I pay money for something I want to have options and be able to play it the way I want to sometimes. I would not play like that but I'am a firm believer in having the option to play the way you want.

Personally, when playing the game I want to know that if I perform badly there is a risk that I will get sacked, this is what makes it exciting. A 'disable manager sackings' option would remove that element of tension from the game for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that is why it should just be an option for people who want to play it like that. Its true its just a game. If I pay money for something I want to have options and be able to play it the way I want to sometimes. I would not play like that but I'am a firm believer in having the option to play the way you want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigerhgrrrrrr:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm just against on the principal that it makes the game unrealistic, not because it's a ppor idea but however you look at it it's basically a cheat like entering a code on certain games that makes you invincible for example. Where's the fun in completing something knowing you can't lose? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sod realism, for some it would make the game more "fun" and although the recent FM games have been so tough they should be moved from the "gaming" section of PC World software to the "Business Applications" section, his would be a great feature - obviously as a selectable option though - for those who sacrifice fun for "realism"*. Would make learning the game easier.

For those who hark on a bout realism, see how would they react if they get a news message "Manager x has been dismissed by Club y FC after allegations in the z newspaper that he is having an affair with the Chairmans wife", thats realism and you can keep it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CAn the cheating with the chairmans wife really happen?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

If you're sticking with just one club and you're winning lots of "reputation credits, hall of fame trophis and the like" then why would you get the sack? And if you get the sack before your building program is complete, then you wouldn't have any credits to speak of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you battle your way from the Conference to the Premier League, and you perform badly there, you CAN be sacked. Adding a new manager just isn't the same in this situation.

And if one's not getting "lots of reputation credits", but a little bit here and there, with their hall of fame trophies being minor ones, you can be sacked too. Or if your Russian chairman doesn't like your current form...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jakobx:

You are making it sound like adding this option would take them more than half an hour. Its just an additional checkbox in preferences and an IF clause in the sacking function. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh come on. Half an hour? Do you knw anything about software development? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok..it might take them a few hours to test it all properly but it shouldn't be a hard thing to implement. I am a software developer BTW. Not exactly the best, but i know what is easy to implement and what is hard. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

Everyone's a software developer on this forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you possibly be even more annoying? I understand that you like to post in every god damn thread that exists but please just try and add something to the conversation instead of being a smartass every f'in time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jakobx:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

Everyone's a software developer on this forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you possibly be even more annoying? I understand that you like to post in every god damn thread that exists but please just try and add something to the conversation instead of being a smartass every f'in time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I find that people who assume that the meaningless option that they are absolutely, positively convinced MUST be added to the game will be a snap to get done are the truly annoying ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you battle your way from the Conference to the Premier League, and you perform badly there, you CAN be sacked. Adding a new manager just isn't the same in this situation.

And if one's not getting "lots of reputation credits", but a little bit here and there, with their hall of fame trophies being minor ones, you can be sacked too. Or if your Russian chairman doesn't like your current form... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but in my view those situations are way too narrow to justify a change to the game. The bottom line is the loss of reputation is a small price to pay if you really want to see your program with one team through to the finish.

along with this there could be an option that once you are sacked you can forcibly take control of any other club just like at the start of a new game. the reason im thinking mainly for would be it would save people the bother creating a new manager if they are playing a network game with friends and one person gets the boot from a club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by muncherdave:

along with this there could be an option that once you are sacked you can forcibly take control of any other club just like at the start of a new game. the reason im thinking mainly for would be it would save people the bother creating a new manager if they are playing a network game with friends and one person gets the boot from a club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea! It might save someone...gee...about 15 seconds of effort! icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by muncherdave:

along with this there could be an option that once you are sacked you can forcibly take control of any other club just like at the start of a new game. the reason im thinking mainly for would be it would save people the bother creating a new manager if they are playing a network game with friends and one person gets the boot from a club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea! It might save someone...gee...about 15 seconds of effort! icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no i mean more than that, that the game would also actually recognise that the manager is the same person and put out a news story of 'shock horror' that this man who has just been sacked has been brought in at a top club replacing whatever managers there, fan unrest and suchforth. the drama would add to the experience of the game for those that chose to use the feature.

I just don't want it draining away resources from more meaningful improvements in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It won't.

The EHM team added this exact option while at the same time implementing a full 2D match engine and the regular yearly game maintenance.

If the much larger FM team can't match that production, then they have some significant re-staffing to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">no i mean more than that, that the game would also actually recognise that the manager is the same person and put out a news story of 'shock horror' that this man who has just been sacked has been brought in at a top club replacing whatever managers there, fan unrest and suchforth. the drama would add to the experience of the game for those that chose to use the feature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't hold my breath.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

I just don't want it draining away resources from more meaningful improvements in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It won't.

The EHM team added this exact option while at the same time implementing a full 2D match engine and the regular yearly game maintenance.

If the much larger FM team can't match that production, then they have some significant re-staffing to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, then I wouldn't care...as I've said before. The whole thing does sound rather silly, though.

Just want to clear up that I proposed the idea to be able to manage my club for as long as I´d want with the time to build like I want to, without having the computer decide for me that I was doing a bad job and sack me in the middle of my transition. I´m a LONG TERM player, and I´ve been playing footie sims since Football Manager 3 on C64, and I would like to take over the club I support and just run with it, as a leisure game. Sometimes I just want to play for fun, while I could have other saves where there was a challenge. I´ve taken non-league teams and played for the manager profile, trying to get to the top, but sometimes I just take charge of Liverpool and just want to go on forever. Having the risk of being sacked hanging over me at the 12th season because of a transition period can be annoying when your just playing for fun.

That´s why I´d only want it as an option, just a sandbox for entertainment, while simulation games would be left intact.

And want to use the oppurtunity to encourage SI to do a good job on the patch, but I must admit I am getting a little annoyed that I still haven´t been able to get into the game at all, and haven´t even played half a season since my Jena team crashed due to the morale bug. There are many issues that need solving, and I´m hoping they get solved and that I will be able to enjoy the game for a little while, at least through the summer. I miss playing FM I must say, so I hope it comes through for all of us. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I couldn't be arsed reading the entire thread, but if you get sacked and still want to continue, just add a new manager to take control of the club.

Simple as that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do "be arsed" if you are going to give an opinion on something said my someone who could "be arsed"!

Any way, why not add an "unsackable option", simple as that! Would work the same as "no transfers til Jan 08" option, though there may be knock on morale issues i guess, perhaps give managers a moral refreshing option (kind of a "vote of confidence" thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blight 00:

I couldn't be arsed reading the entire thread, but if you get sacked and still want to continue, just add a new manager to take control of the club.

Simple as that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't say I blame you. It's gotten painfully repetitive. Mostly because of people who think your solution makes too much sense.

Personally I think it would detract from realism if there were such an option. From my point of view I like the fact that you can be sacked because I like moving around(although to date I have not been sacked, just moved around and I know there is a difference but still), so if you are doing a bad job, get the sack, move on and improve your skills/come back into a better team and move up that way.

The club is just doing business and making decisions that are "best" for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovingthegreen:

I never understood why so many people are against having an unsackable option when you can manage any team you want when you start up a game - how realistic is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then why do you even buy the game. The point of the game is to simulate real life and let you become the manager of a football club, so obviously you need to be able to manage a team, if not, the game would serve no purpose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WoGBoYz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovingthegreen:

I never understood why so many people are against having an unsackable option when you can manage any team you want when you start up a game - how realistic is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then why do you even buy the game. The point of the game is to simulate real life and let you become the manager of a football club, so obviously you need to be able to manage a team, if not, the game would serve no purpose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The game could make you start the game unemployed and not give you an option to just pick a team.

Archived