Is England overrated?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know what? This is completely pointless. Ive told you multiple times why Rooney's stats are the way they are yet you still sit there and completely ignore these facts.

Forget the 8 world cup games. Forget the 200 games that he's played for Man United.

Go and actually watch him play.

Pay attention to what he does on and off the ball.

Count how much time he spends sprinting around. Watch how many times he chases down opponents. Watch how much space he covers.

Watch how quickly he can get angry. Count how many dumb and rash challenges he makes.

I've seen Rooney literally become a second left back, help out evra to win the ball back, then sprint the entire length of the field and score at the other end. (aka high work rate)

Ive seen Rooney swing his foot at an opponent who was on the ground.....in a FRIENDLY

For goodness sake he got sent off against fulham for throwing the ball at the ref! (aka very high aggression)

If you were to take the time to go to the tactics screen, and look what attributes are key for the attacking roles, you will see that neither of these makes rooney a better goal scorer. Those other players that you mentioned (Villa, Ronaldo, Forlan, Messi), are higher in those attributes that are key in goal scoring. They are all better dribblers than rooney,they have higher finishing than rooney, they have higher anticipation than rooney, and they have higher composure than rooney.

What in that makes you believe that rooney is better at goal scoring than these other players?

Completely agree with you :thup:

That raised a chuckle. He's not even the best centre half at Old Trafford.

Ashley Cole I'll grant you, but there's a dearth of left sided players at the very top level.

As for Lampard and Rooney being regarded as 2 of the best goalscorers? Rooney scored a few last season true, but it's not regarded by anyone as the strongest aspect of his game.

Lampard contributes a few goals from midfield, but he aint no "goalscorer". That's Drogba's role.

Are you a football agent?

You said rooney scored a few goals. With all that is wrong with that statement, all I can say is that you are obviously very biased against england and therefore came here planning on trolling instead of adding any sort of substantial point to either support or counter my original point.

Rooney is Man United's main striker.....so what the strongest aspect of his game if scoring isn't?

Now onto one of my little sister's favorite......lampard. He scored 22 goals in the prem last season (i said that already.....why did you ignore that?). He also has over 100 goals for chelsea.

When liverpool signed fernando torres, you know what the big question was? Will he give Liverpool 20 goals a season in the Prem? Now I am sure that you would consider Torres a goal scorer right? In fact I am sure that you would consider most strikers goals scorers right? So what do you call a midfielder, who happens to be english, who also scorers goals?.......

Ok since when did we stop calling players who score lots of goals goalscorers?

Oh and guess what.....most top class teams have multiple players who score goals.

No probs...I take it England are usually challengers at the major tourneys then?

Based on your "facts" of course.

So your "facts" are so much better?

England has the players to do so.....but we are missing something and it sucks because I, or any member of the FA for that matter, knows what that something is.

Now I won't retaliate and start bashing scotland because there are a lot of scottish players that I love (especially fletch), but your not making yourself look good by coming in here and saying the stuff you said.

Rooney and Lampard scored a few last season? LOL

Rooney has scored 148 goals in 359 club appearances. A fair amount, but he's no Batistuta or Raul. He's a world class player, who operates in the opponents half.

Lampard's an outstanding midfielder, and an even better goalscoring midfielder. He's not one of the world's greatest goalscorers though. 196 goals in 669 club appearances. Outstanding for a midfielder, yes. Hardly one of the world's great goalscorers though.

My initial reply was to a poster who said that Rio is "undoubtably the best defender in the world"...and that prompted my post. Mental.

To be honest I don't think our views are miles apart, maybe pedantics over the terms used has clouded the issue. If not we'll agree to disagree.

Up here a "few" can mean a good few. It wasn't meant as derogatory.

Sigh, you are still trying to ignore he was awful in the most important competition. Yes that's one but it's also NO. 1. That's usually the difference between stars and superstars.

And what's the point about keep bring 200 matches he played? Is he a good striker? Yes. Is he a top star? Yes. But could he stand out in the most important competition? No. Yes his 200 matches of good performance earn him high CA and PA, and his awful performance in World Cup showed he doesn't derseve top determination and important matches. Pls not again speak about his injury, Beckham was also suffered injury before 2002 World Cup but still played quite well.

He did well in 2004, scored 4 goals in the group stage, Larsson, Tomasson and Vanni all was in Euro 2004 best squad. How is their important matches? Not to mention he could only watch TV in Euro 2008.

Sigh, you are still trying to ignore he was awful in the most important competition. Yes that's one but it's also NO. 1. That's usually the difference between stars and superstars.

And what's the point about keep bring 200 matches he played? Is he a good striker? Yes. Is he a top star? Yes. But could he stand out in the most important competition? No. Yes his 200 matches of good performance earn him high CA and PA, and his awful performance in World Cup showed he doesn't derseve top determination and important matches. Pls not again speak about his injury, Beckham was also suffered injury before 2002 World Cup but still played quite well.

He did well in 2004, scored 4 goals in the group stage, Larsson, Tomasson and Vanni all was in Euro 2004 best squad. How is their important matches? Not to mention he could only watch TV in Euro 2008.

No one is ignoring it. Mourinho said in one of this press conferences that he thinks the Champions League is better than the World Cup nowadays as a club team can build a better team than a national team can. Using some of your words from further up when I supposedly had a different opinion than those who voted for Ronaldo as player of the year over Rooney, do you think you are better than Mourinho? :)

Sigh, you are still trying to ignore all of the facts that have been given.

Rooney has scored 148 goals in 359 club appearances. A fair amount, but he's no Batistuta or Raul..

Rooney scores 1 goal every 2.4257 games

Raul scores 1 goal every 2.4123 games

Batistuta scored 1 goal every 1.7671 games

This is based on wiki and the club records only. Batistuta is way out in front. Spending 2 years in Qatar scoring over 1 goal a game helped but his ratio was still impressive before.

And you are ignoring the fact that attributes are not decided over 7 or 8 games. You are also just clearly on a wind up. Well done, its worked.

An important qustion that was asked of you and you didn't answer ( I don't think) is what country are you from?

Like I say I'm sure you are on a wind up and are just England baiting so I'd like to know why?

Rooney was poor at the World Cup because the rest of his team is poor (a striker, after all, is only as good as his service), not because he doesn't show up for important matches.

A small number of matches for a relatively unfamiliar national team that is substantially poorer than his club (as a team) cannot be used to generalise Rooney's ability to perform in the big matches.

Archived