The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Australia win icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have to let them win something ffs

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Expect it to be Tremlett, would go for Collingwood personally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tremlett hasn't convinced me yet, but Fletcher's been pretty good with his hunches so far, let's hope he turns out to be a Strauss rather than a Key. Collingwood might be seen as a negative choice and his bowling's nowhere near good enough. There's a distressing lack of options though, Chapple and Lewry are not quick enough, Caddick's too old and injured, Kirtley's been pulled up for chucking again, Kirby and Anderson are erratic, and Goughie's way past it.

I was forgetting about Naqaash! Get him in now FFS he's fb!!!!111

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

it was a 50/50 call tbh. imo i would have batted on to maintain the sense of momentum gained from dismissing the australians so cheaply in the first dig. at that point, there was still a mountain of time left to play. not many teams would have been able to bat for nearly two full days looking for a draw... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you, but the point I'm making is that with British weather being British weather, Australia might have only had to bat on one of those 2 days. Vaughan couldn't afford to take that risk IMO.

If the same situation presents itself at the Oval, it's a no brainer - bat again and rack up a lead of 500-600.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollers Kenners:

Says this on cricinfo about Tait's injury

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Shaun Tait, who made his debut at Trent Bridge, has been cleared of serious injury following scans of his right shoulder. Tait was taken to a London clinic yesterday by the team physiotherapist Errol Alcott to investigate some "mild shoulder soreness".

A Cricket Australia spokesman said the tests revealed a minor irritation of a muscle and he will continue to receive treatment for the problem. However, Tait is expected to be available for the two-day match against Essex at Chelmsford starting on Saturday, which is the Australians' last fixture before the fifth Test at The Oval.

"Shaun complained of some minor discomfort in his right shoulder following the fourth Test, and although we weren't overly concerned about the issue, I felt it was a good opportunity to have it looked at in more detail," Alcott said. "We will continue to treat the complaint."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His bowling action must put considerable strain on his body.

Northants 289 & 400/6 dec

Lancs 301

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Lancashire 2nd innings (target: 389 runs) R M B 4 6

*MJ Chilton lbw b Brown 38 114 91 5 0

IJ Sutcliffe c White b Louw 4 36 25 0 0

MB Loye c Afzaal b Phillips 8 14 7 2 0

SG Law c Shafayat b Brown 3 24 25 0 0

A Symonds c & b Panesar 4 15 18 1 0

MJ North lbw b Brown 9 31 38 1 0

DG Cork b Panesar 14 23 26 3 0

G Chapple c Love b Brown 0 0 2 0 0

+WK Hegg not out 4 15 16 0 0

SJ Marshall b Brown 0 10 12 0 0

Extras (b 4, lb 3) 7

Total (9 wickets, 43.2 overs) 91

</pre>

mon teh Jimmy!

Possible replacements for Simon Jones:

Caddick

+ Consistent

+ Experience

- age?

Collingwood

+ Swing bowler

+ strong batsmen

+ Good fielder

- Not really a bowler

Tremlett

+ Tall

+ Fast

- Inexperience

Cork

+ Swing

+ Experience

+ Character

Kabir Ali

+ Good bowler

- Often called Krap-ir

Me icon_wink.gif

+ Enthusiastic

+ Will perform at 100% for all 5 days

+ Better than the Aussies

- Overweight

- No experience

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Oh forgot

Anderson

+ Swing bowler

+ In form

- Too slingy/wayward

- inconsistent </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Die </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why? I was just going through the names mentioned in the press (and myself icon_wink.gif)

From cricinfo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Jones on course for Oval showdown

Jones is on track to play in next week's fifth and final Test against Australia, after recovering well from the ankle injury that caused him to miss the final stages of England's three-wicket win at Trent Bridge last week.

While his team-mates have been unwinding in the aftermath of victory, Jones has been undergoing twice-daily spells in an oxygen chamber, in a bid to reduce the irritation around the bone spurs in his right ankle. "He is progressing pretty well at the moment," England's bowling coach, Troy Cooley, told BBC Radio Five Live. "There is a chance, and if there is a chance I am sure Simon will take it."

I think he will play," added Jones's team-mate, Kevin Pietersen, speaking ahead of Hampshire's C&G Trophy final against Warwickshire tomorrow. "He seems very confident and positive." Jones's mastery of reverse-swing has made him a pivotal figure in England's set-up this summer, and he picked up consecutive five-wicket hauls at Old Trafford and Trent Bridge.

"I'll get as much treatment as I can on it and touch wood - I'm touching my head - I'll be all right," he told BBC Sport, adding that the closing stages of the Trent Bridge Test had been extremely frustrating. "I wanted to be out on the field with the boys. I felt pretty useless watching but it was very painful, I was struggling to walk and there was nothing I could have done."

If Jones fails to recover in time, England are likely to hand a debut to the Hampshire seamer, Chris Tremlett, who has been a member of the squad all summer. Other names in the frame include Paul Collingwood, who could shore up the middle-order batting and provide a few overs of medium pace, and James Anderson, who has shown some flickers of the form that deserted him over the winter.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

\0/\0/

I'm sure it's been said before, but Troy Cooley is such a great name </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, it sounds like the name of a NASCAR race driver.

couple of interesting articles floating around the place atm -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bigger than '66? It's England's turn to worry

By Peter Roebuck

September 3, 2005

Jonathan Agnew says an England triumph at The Oval would be as joyous an event as the winning of the 1966 football World Cup. In that case, Australia have a chance. As befits an experienced representative of the BBC, Aggers knows the national mood. English cricketers are as ready to charge into battle as the lads at Agincourt. And this time no one will be abed. Tickets are not merely at a premium, they could pay for a holiday in the Caribbean.

Sport is an examination of the mind. Adam Gilchrist's words before this series were full of foreboding. He said he didn't want to be a member of the side that gave back the Ashes. Already those negative waves that Donald Sutherland protested about in Kelly's Heroes: "The bridge will be standing, boys," said the erstwhile tank commander. And so it was, until it was demolished before their very eyes. Australia started worrying before a ball had been bowled.

Now it is England's turn to suffer. So near and so far. I can remember the 1966 World Cup, could name the England side, half the Germans can recall even the moustachioed Russian who decided Geoff Hurst's shot had crossed the line. Hurst scored a hat-trick, Martin Peters provided a fourth. Nobby Stiles was everywhere, snapping at ankles. Bobby Charlton passed the ball around majestically while his lanky brother Jack protected the penalty area. Gordon Banks was flawless between the posts. The crowd developed its own clap. It was a dreadful, dirty World Cup but England won.

And The Oval is bigger than that? Day by day the pressure mounts.

The most difficult task a sportsman faces is to keep thinking the right way. Sportsmen do not press a switch at breakfast and remain at their peak until nightfall. Every day they face the challenge of thinking themselves up. Of course, it is easier for those blessed with a sunny disposition, like Brett Lee, than for the more gloomy types to be found in defeated staff rooms. Always those negative thoughts try to sneak into a sportsman's head, whereupon they go forth and multiply.

Apart from the weight of expectation, England's chief handicap is that a draw is enough. After all, The Oval provides fine batting conditions, and the groundsman knows every man is expected to do his duty. Of course, it might rain. Unless the weather spoils the show, though, the series will either end 3-1 or 2-2. His pitch encourages pace, spin and bold batting. England have a strong attack and aggressive batsmen. The idea of playing for a draw must be rejected. England dominated the past three matches and have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Not that England have to declare or anything as reckless as that. Nor, though, can their batsmen concentrate on defence. Apart from anything else, these Australians bowl superbly to cautious batsmen.

Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne are at their predatory best when batsmen are pushing and poking around. In any case, five days is a long time and modern batsmen are inclined towards attack.

England must maintain momentum. Between the calamitous first and epic second Tests, the hosts made the brave decision to attack. It's not time to hold back.

The sound of Australians complaining must be music to local ears. Rather than seeking sympathy, the tourists must go back to basics. Matthew Hayden is not leaning into his shots, and the catching, fielding and running between wickets must improve. Australia have been outplayed. Ponting's players must forget about substitutes, reverse swing and other distractions and concentrate on their own games.

Not that their complaints are without merit. Apparently county players regularly put hair lacquer on the ball. Well, boo-hoo. Cricket is a struggle between bat and ball. Over the years the bowler's lot had seldom been a happy one. Every new law adds to their burden. No one complains about shorter boundaries or bats as large as railway sleepers and as light as cocktail sticks.

Australia must attack and hope their opponents go into their shell. England must keep their nerve. It won't be easy. For the first time this summer the visitors are the side with the least to lose. Of course, it is a compliment to the Australians that a rival is so desperate to beat them. The highest tree catches the strongest winds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ten - oh, all right, make it eight - reasons the Ashes can go hang

Anything reducing the number of whingeing Poms is just fine with Richard Hinds.

Who cares about losing the Ashes? Not me. Here are some good arguments it doesn't matter.

1 It's not as if we have the bloody things anyway. What may or may not be the remains of a bail barbecued late in the 19th century are the permanent property of the MCC - and, frankly, they are welcome to them.

I mean, they don't present the winner of the British Open with a canister of charcoal. They didn't burn an old wooden racquet and give the charred remnants to the Wimbledon champion. There's no Malvern Star for the winner of the Tour de France.

The Ashes are a terrible trophy and I don't care if Australia win another series against England until they get something big and silver with enormous handles that can be prised from hands of the curators at the Lord's Museum.

2 It might bring to an end the embarrassing whingeing of this Australian team. Whingeing about the umpiring. Whingeing about England's substitute fieldsmen. Whingeing that England coach Duncan Fletcher gave Ricky Ponting a funny look from the balcony.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

Anyone else now embarrassed to the use the term "whingeing Pom"? Anyone else think Ponting should spend a bit more time working on his running between the wickets and his field placings and a little bit less time with his bottom lip wobbling?

3 We can pretend that football - and I mean our local stuff - is far more important than cricket, just like the English used to do. Everyone knows this was a pathetic, weak-kneed way of deflecting the hurt and frustration during years of ritual Ashes humiliation. As the sudden surge of interest in English cricket has proven, it was not cricket that was on the nose - just losing at cricket.

So, if we're happy to accept from England such social cornerstones as language, parliamentary system and several thousand repeats of the Vicar of Dibley, then in times of crisis we should not be above adopting their defensive, losing mentality. Especially with footy finals starting.

4 To paraphrase the opening line from every poorly constructed wedding speech, we will not have lost the Ashes but regained Warney. Clearly, the public humiliation of more sex scandals (I have lost count of how many there have been, but the actual figures are available on baggygreen.com.au) and the crises of a failing marriage were not themselves enough to bring out his best.

Warney also needed the challenge provided by a very tough and uncompromising opposition to remind us of his sporting greatness.

And what a performance. He has been at times attacking, at times dogged. He has shown skill and leadership and bravado. He has proven himself head and shoulders above his teammates. And he hasn't bowled badly, either.

5 An Ashes loss might lead the Australian selectors to look beyond NSW to find replacements for the current Dad's Army. Indeed, there are rumours that players who hail from as far afield as the ACT, Wodonga and Burleigh Heads will now be eligible for selection.

There is even an outside chance that non-New South Welshmen chosen for the next Ashes squad will - unlike Brad Hodge - even be considered for selection in the actual XI.

6 Ashes defeat might prompt John Buchanan to close that bloody lap-top and watch the game. Sure, being on the cutting edge of cricket technology might allow the Australian coach to digitally monitor Brett Lee's arousal levels during an lbw appeal or check the temperature inside Justin Langer's protective equipment. No doubt this information can be used to create ever more exciting and valuable charts, pie-graphs and CD-Roms. But surely a bit of fielding practice wouldn't hurt, either.

7 Yes, we might lose the Ashes. But we can still go to a beach without cutting our feet on pebbles, we can still get a sun tan, take regular baths, enjoy edible food and indulge in all the other well-worn - perhaps even racist - English-bashing cliches.

In fact, we can carry on just like those sore losers in the English press used to do when they would complain that Australians cared only about winning sporting contests because we didn't have any other cultural diversions.

This, of course, was not merely another smug way of hiding their disappointment, it conveniently overlooked the important contributions of artists such as Rodney Rude and Kevin "Bloody" Wilson.

8 And even if you do care about losing the Ashes, there is a consoling thought. Just look forward to July next year. A World Cup quarter-final: England 0, Germany 0. A penalty shoot-out. Sing one of your silly little songs about the result of that one, Barmy Army. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Essex boys making a mockery of the Aussie bowling thus far -

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Essex 1st innings R M B 4 6

WI Jefferson not out 45 67 46 7 1

AN Cook not out 54 67 52 10 0

Extras (lb 2, nb 1) 3

Total (0 wickets, 16.1 overs) 102

To Bat: RS Bopara, ML Pettini, *RC Irani, +JS Foster,

JD Middlebrook, TJ Phillips, GR Napier, AP Palladino,

A Nel, J Ahmed.

Bowling O M R W

Lee 4 0 24 0 (1nb)

Gillespie 5 0 31 0

Tait 4.1 0 24 0

MacGill 3 0 21 0

</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

We're getting panned here /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah the Aussie cant even beat a 2nd division county side.

Watson & KP still to up the rate as well icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

Watson & KP still to up the rate as well icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At this rate they're not gonna get a chance to bat

Archived