The Official English National Football Team Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might as well just close this thread GillsMan, Woodmansee has dragged this into the gutter.

Keeping Capello was the best option out there imo, though I would like to see Pearce take over when Capello leaves - hopefully it would have an effect on the NT like it has for Germany with Loew.

bit simplistic really, Jogi Löw effectively ran the team under Klinsmann whilst Jurgen was the motivator and big ideas man, and he's a very astute guy tactically. Pearce is generally less than impressive.

I never said their word was gospel. I'm saying the players looked tired. They played like they was tired. And Capello said they was tired.

That is enough for me to think they might be tired. Not some BS you are making up about managers telling lies with nothing to back it up.

Now would be as good a time as any to answer the question I put to you earlier. You know, to show you can actually back up your arguments and stuff.

Guest roberto922
Are you guys all circle jerk friends or something? Seems like the same guys sticking each for each other if you say something bad about their buddy. how sweet.

Not at all, we're just unified against your moronic posts :thup:

How many of questions have I answered? Sorry to have missed one. What was it?

This one...

If, say, Tevez or Kuyt are tired, then at the very least it hasn't noticably influenced their performance. Whereas apparently, it has for the English. So I ask you again, why do you think that is?

Guest roberto922

Because three friendlies really matter in a 60+ game season? Plus the vast majority of nations play warmup friendlies.

Because three friendlies really matter in a 60+ game season? Plus the vast majority of nations play warmup friendlies.

It does after playing 60 games. Then going to a world cup. That month rest could have made all the difference before the world cup silly.

It does after playing 60 games. Then going to a world cup. That month rest could have made all the difference before the world cup silly.

and if those friendlies hadn't taken place and England still crashed out, you'd blame Capello for not letting the team gel in friendlies before the tournament.

Has Kuyt or Tevez played great? Maybe they are more fit? Maybe they didn't play three friendlies before the world cup?

Yes. Maybe. Kuyt played 4.

Not really a real answer to my question, though, is it? You fail to back up your assertions with sound argument. If you believe that the players were poor because they're tired, and that this is Capello's fault, then you would need to have an idea - and be able to explain it - as to why they are tired, why this is Capello's doing, and what a different manager would have done to prevent it.

bit simplistic really, Jogi Löw effectively ran the team under Klinsmann whilst Jurgen was the motivator and big ideas man, and he's a very astute guy tactically. Pearce is generally less than impressive.

Hmm, true, I guess. Has done well as U-21 manager though to be fair to him, and is probably the best of the English options right now though.

Yes. Maybe. Kuyt played 4.

Not really a real answer to my question, though, is it? You fail to back up your assertions with sound argument. If you believe that the players were poor because they're tired, and that this is Capello's fault, then you would need to have an idea - and be able to explain it - as to why they are tired, why this is Capello's doing, and what a different manager would have done to prevent it.

The players was poor? We all believe that right. It had to be something. Now I'm not 100% sure it was tiredness or maybe something else.

But again Capello said they was tired.

They did look tired.

They did play like they was tired.

That is pretty obvious if you watched England play.

Now why is it Capellos doing? Because if it is true, he should have rested the so called tired players like Rooney, instead of playing them in meaningless friendlies.

Guest roberto922

Haha, and what would you have said on the eve of a match if the likes of Rooney were dropped and you went on to lose? I'm pretty sure it would be along the lines of 'omg Capello you're **** why did you drop Rooney???1//1!?!?!??'

Haha, and what would you have said on the eve of a match if the likes of Rooney were dropped and you went on to lose? I'm pretty sure it would be along the lines of 'omg Capello you're **** why did you drop Rooney???1//1!?!?!??'

You've lost your argument right here. If Rooney was tired like Capello said he should have rested him before the world cup instead of playing. Stop using a strawmen like if he did this or that.

Guest roberto922

So it was wrong of Capello to want to give him proper match practice coming off an injury? Jesus Wept

Okay, I'm gonna have one more go at having you put your money where your mouth is. I've got a couple of very straight-forward questions, I'd appreciate straight-forward answers.

1. Let's say Capello was sacked tomorrow. Who would, in your opinion, be the best replacement and why?

2. What would said replacement do right that hasn't been done right for 20 years?

3. If the manager would do everything right, what would be the acceptable level of performance for the current England side?

4. Are the results always 100% attributable to the managers? If so, why? If not, wherein lies the responsibility of the players?

http://a-kick-in-the-grass.blogspot.com/2010/06/rooney-knackered-capello-is-clueless.html

Rooney knackered, Capello IS clueless Mike Bassett: England all at sea on rudderless ship....

As far as England are concerned, the World Cup has been a mind-numbing experience so far; the opening week hasn't exactly been riveting, but Capello's team have given us two of the most woeful performances of any of the participating teams.

Earlier this week Kaiser Franz had the temerity to suggest that England have regressed under the stewardship of Fabio Capello - it is hard to argue with the German legend, following the dross served up by the Italian manager and those tasked with the job at hand.

As ever, there has been a great deal of blind optimism in relation to England's chances of winning the trophy they last won 44 years ago, and not even that damp squib of a performance against the USA in the opener dampened expectations of the media and your average Johnny England fan.

But if England were bad against the USA in that 1-1 draw, they were much worse against Algeria last night in what turned out to be another bore-draw, only this time there was no goals.

With little to shout about following Robert Green's howler of a goalkeeping error against the USA, and with nothing to get truly excited about, the media speculated when we'd see the competition's first 'surprise result': 'pre-tournament favourites' Spain provided the answer, when losing to Switzerland. Then in the second round of opening group games, Germany lost to Serbia. Just perhaps England had a chance after all? At least that appeared to be the common consensus among pundits and the English media.

There's no doubt these 'shock results' fueled supporter optimism, well at least it did if you're daft and you believe everything the media tells you in relation to England.

There's rarely a shortage of blind optimism where the England team is concerned: I'm sure it stems back to the days of the Empire when much of the globe was coloured pink, but blind optimism it is all the same.

Capello's honeymoon period had to come to an end at some point; in some ways, it's a great pity it has taken until now for it to happen, perhaps it if it had happened sooner then the clowns who run the FA wouldn't have been in so much of a rush to remove that get-out clause from the Italian's contract?

Capello's management during the World Cup has been akin to that of Mike Bassett, the spoof England manager in that hilarious comedy "Mike Bassett, England manager".

Agaisnt the USA, the Italian selected Robert Green, who it emerged is the goalkeeper who made the most mistakes in this season's Premier League. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Italian gambled when selecting Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King - both were plagued by injuries throughout the season; selecting the pair of them was a disaster waiting to happen.

Capello also made the major mistake of playing Wayne Rooney in just about every friendly and for the duration of most games - this at a time when the United striker needed resting, and for what reason? Rooney wasn't playing for his place in the side, he had nothing to prove to anyone. Rooney had a great season, scoring 34 goals in all competitions, but his last goal for his club was back in March against Bayern Munich. Sadly, injuries took their toll and so it was a disappointing end of campaign for the United striker and the club.

Ferguson had little option but to play Rooney in most games because there's a lack of fire-power at Old Trafford right now, but that wasn't really the case as far as Capello and England were concerned - there was plenty of other options.

At present, Rooney has the touch and subtlety of a rapist - he could have quite justifiably been substituted - but then again so could half of the England team that faced Algeria.

Nonetheless, this blog repeatedly warned that Rooney is in serious danger of suffering from burn-out; in fact we warned that the last thing Rooney needed this summer was the World Cup.

From a United perspective and being selfish, Rooney needed a damn long break from football. There has to be a serious danger that Rooney and United are going to suffer next season - which is why Ferguson needs to pull his finger out this summer and sign at least one quality striker. Hopefully, Javier Hernandez will prove to be that man. The manner in which the Mexican took his goal against France will have given everyone connected with the club a degree of optimism - let us hope it isn't unfounded...

So what else has Capello done wrong so far at the World Cup? Where do you start is a good question to ask.

The England manager played the captain out of position against Algeria: Gerrard was easily the pick of a bad bunch against the USA, but against the North Africans he was dispatched to the relative sanctuary of the left wing. Baffling.

Capello also selected Emile Heskey to partner Wayne Rooney. The big man played a part in the opening game when 'laying on' Gerrard's goal, but the tactic of lumping the ball down the middle hasn't worked. Worse still, there's zero creativity in the engine room. If Frank Lampard isn't breaking late into your opponent's penalty box, then he isn't worthy of a starting place - and of course England simply haven't been creating any chances and so Lampard is an unaffordable luxury.

The teams that have shone so far all have a play-maker - someone who makes them tick when going forward - someone who can open the door: Germany have Mesut Özil (are you watching Ferguson?); Uruguay have Diego Forlan (he couldn't control your regulation Premier League ball but has seemingly tamed the dreaded Jabulani); Brazil have Robinho and Elano; Argentina have the brilliant Messi; England have Joe Cole but Mike Bassett, aka Capello, has seen fit to leave him on the bench.

If there was an award for the most technically inept team, England and Capello would be in with a good shout of securing the trophy, they are that bad.

If, as expected, England come home with their collective tails between their legs then Capello should be sacked.

Guest roberto922

He can't, about the most respectable writer that remotely agrees with him most likely writes for the mirror

2. What would said replacement do right that hasn't been done right for 20 years?

Bit harsh, it's only been a mess for 14 years...

Actually, in 2002 we had a gash team and were it not for a shirked Beckham tackle and a fluke Ronaldinho goal we'd have made the Semi's. So really it's not even 10 :D

Seven? Football. Do you know it?

Football......yes I think I do know it. Come to think of it, I've been to (in person) at least 400 senior games of football in the last 15-20 years, which has not only taken in the top levels (and lower levels) in this country, but also top level football in numerous European countries.

So i've been to roughly 400 more games than you. :)

Football......yes I think I do know it. Come to think of it, I've been to (in person) at least 400 senior games of football in the last 15-20 years, which has not only taken in the top levels (and lower levels) in this country, but also top level football in numerous European countries.

So i've been to roughly 400 more games than you. :)

So you know how many games I've been to now? Stop making yourself look silly.

Guest roberto922

No, you think the points made are good because they tie in with your opinion, big difference

Oh yea a respected sports writer is never wrong. The points made about tiredness are good.

Please please explain to me though why our players lacking footballing intelligence and PASSION™ is Capello's fault. In detail please. Not just "oh but because it is ROFLMAO!!!!!!"

Judging by your arguments in this thread I think we can all take an educated guess. ;)

So you can judge by what I say in a thread how many games I've been to. Call that educated? Lol right.

You're coming out with some right dumb crap here Nick..

They didn't lack intelligence.

Passion is created by a manger. Starting with the team he picks. His man management. How he sets up camps, and what he does to get the ready. Many things.

You didn't read that Martin Samuel article did you?

Nor do you seem to be able to grasp the concept that international management is very different from club management. At least not when it suits you, because obviously it's fine to say that Capello being a fantastic club manager doesn't make him a fantastic international manager, without him apparently having the skills required only by a club manager.... :rolleyes:

Guest roberto922

I reckon he's one of the blokes at the game that spends the whole time yelling at the manager how ***** he is, and forgets to watch the match, hence being clueless.

Who do you support out of interest?

I reckon he's one of the blokes at the game that spends the whole time yelling at the manager how ***** he is, and forgets to watch the match, hence being clueless.

Who do you support out of interest?

He supports West Ham, which Gregg has pointed out explains a lot...

They didn't lack intelligence.

Passion is created by a manger. Starting with the team he picks. His man management. How he sets up camp, and what he does to get the players ready. Many things.

You're still insisting that:

a) the players didn't lack intelligence

b) that players not having PASSION™ for a World Cup game is the managers fault?

Don't pretend you're anything other than a troll.

I read that article. He said sometime along the lines of players passing bad in the world cup is lack of football intelligence. What a crock of crap. You don't play good in qualifying game, and for your club, and show intelligence. Then play bad and all of a sudden lose this so called football intelligence.

Passion again Gregg is created by the manager with the players he picks to goto the world cup, the camp, and more. Get it yet? Hard to understand? Shall I make it more simple?

Archived