FM2010 - The Better Half - Tactical Sets, NO TC

What formation would you like to see me develop and make a project of next ?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What formation would you like to see me develop and make a project of next ?

• 4-1-2-2-1 (Flat 4 - DMC - MC, MC - AMR, AML - FC)
    • 4-1-2-2-1 ( Flat 4 - DMC- MR, ML - AMC, AMC - FC)
    • 4-2-3-1 Wide (Flat 4 - MC, MC - AMR, AMC, AML - FC )
    • 4-2-3-1 Narrow (Flat 4 - MC, MC - AMC, AMC, AMC - FC)
    • 4-3-2-1 Wide (Flat 4 - MC, MC, MC - AMR, AML - FC)

First post almost finished

The Better Half´s

TACTICAL SETS FM2010 PATCH 10.3

MSN

thebeha@live.se

HOMEPAGE - Contains beta versions and Plug & Play tactics

http://thebetterhalf.n.nu/

Prologue

In this thread, you will find 4 uploaded sets of tactics that together can be tweaked into your preferred formation any formation As different as these formations will be, they will have one thing in common and that is that they will all come in 7 match-strategies,together forming a set. The different match strategies, or onwards referred to as versions, are divided onto 2 categories namely Main and Additional. The main category consist of 3 version called Attack, Balanced and Defensive and in the lower division, these version should be enough to see you through a season. But when playing at higher levels, playing teams within a wider range of quality, like home to carlisle in the league cup, Home to Stoke, away to Lazio in the EC, you will probably need the 4 additional version named Overload, Control, Balanced+++ and Quick Counter . Notice that I am playing in the classical mode. Therefor, touchline shouts are disable

When naming, or rather labelling a version Attack, Defensive or Control, you will instantly think of your own definition of that word. Therefor, its important to read my definition of that specific version as it might be different from yours and also watch some games in full mode to see what the version actually do and does not do

With so many version will there not be agony when picking the correct strategy for the match ahead. Well, no ! Most of the times you have a pretty good idea as how to approach the coming game and will not even consider touching most of them as starting version in the specific match. If playing the undefeated top team away there are maybe 2 versions you are considering. The same goes for facing the team you are fighting against for a place in Europe. Playing at home you probably want to go for the 3 points and will probably consider the version close to Attack, whilst playing away against the same opposition you wont consider playing too attacking. My best advice would be to initially use the 3 Main version and then, after knowing the set and framework, implement the other 4 when you by looking at the flow of the game and the match stats, have defined the problem and need for changes

As you can see in the table of contents below, this opening post will also screenshots and required player types for each frameworks along with tips as how to change them into the desired formation.

Table of content

OPENING POST

1.1 Picking a formation

1.2 Picking a formation: Part two

1.3 The settings and the importance of tweaking them

1.4 The Frameworks

1.5 Using multiple frameworks

1.6 Set pieces

1.7 Playmakers and Target Men

1.8 Opposition Instructions

1.9 Copyright

SECOND POST

2.1 The versions/match strategies

2.2 Building a team - Crucial stats

THIRD POST - To come

3.1 Uploaded and suggested tactics for specific teams

FOURTH POST - To come

4.0 My Projects - to come

4.1 Links to useful posts - to come

1.1 Picking a formation

Now, just like in real life, some users match their formation and there philosophy to suit the current squad at hand and some have a favourite style of play or formation that they stick to, recruiting the adequate players as they go along. My advice is to understand what the different formations requires and leave you with a quote form the TT&F 2010, written by Richard Claydon (wwfan), Gareth Millward (Millie) and the Tactical Think Tank, as they say it best

On the whole, the best formation is the one which allows you to play your best players where they can do the most damage to the opposition. However, the team must still retain some defensive shape, have enough players in midfield to aid the transition from defence to attack, and enough forward players to be potent in attack. Otherwise, Real Madrid might play a 2-3-5

1.3 Picking a formation: Part Two

Regardless of personal preferences, the formation used simply have to match your ambition, an ambition that in its turn should be based on the current circumstances and be a healthy one. Often we see users trying out a formation that simply does not match the ambition, the players or that is sprung form reality( in game that is). A team like Hull should perhaps not play a very wide formation, such as a 41221 if the ambition is to stay clear form relegation, building for the future. If being over ambitious so the speak, still playing with Hull, you might be in for trouble as the players simply are not good enough to achieve this playing attacking and wide. here, its better to play to the strength of the team and once having strengthened the defence and brought in some specific competence up front, you can change framework as the journey gos on. So in short - and once again - you have to ask your self if the current formation is likely to achieve your goals given the circumstances

The same goes for ungelled teams and/or teams lacking in determined players. Its better to play more narrow and grind out a few results. Whilst the team may be superior your opponent when reading the lineup, the players need to function as a group( remember Tottenham in FM09) and its better to play more cautious to start with until the team is gelled as it otherwise will be very hard to turn around the bad morale of drop in confidence that may follow

As for a top notch team like Man U, we know that we will face teams flooding the midfield, playing compact and narrow with lots of men behind the ball. Even if preferring a narrow formation and even if having the players for it, this will most likely see you underachieve domestic as the formation by default is more cautious. You will simply have a hard time breaking down defensive teams. So in short - and once again - you have to ask your self if the current formation is likely to achieve your goals given the circumstances

Setting up a formation to suit the squad and planning for the future

When I first take over a team, I make a SWAT of the team. BY this I mean that I dont just look at the strengths and weaknesses but also about future threats , like injuries to key players, and also the opportunities, like the signing of a great future fullback that might make me be able to play my brilliant AMR in his correct position without needing to cover and cut angels above the current weak link in the team. So basically, I follow these steps

• List the strength of the team
  • List the weaknesses of the team
  • Consider if my weaknesses makes me unable to use my strong sides
  • Consider the defensive price of still using them
  • ..and then.. compare it to the cost of my attacking play if I am to sacrifice playing a AMR for the benefit of a MR, covering up for my weaknesses
  • Look for a formation or a couple of formations that my team can handle
  • And finally., I look for the opportunities that a new signing might bring for the team in terms of making my squad more flexible in playing different formations as its not always a new brilliant striker the team needs but perhaps a new fullback of equal standard to the existing one, but much better in covering large areas with speed. As you can imagine, I will come back to the importance of pacey fullbacks when using AMR/L

1.3 The settings and the importance of tweaking them

Normally, I would be best to provide this information after having read about the actual download-able frameworks that this concerns but to avoid misunderstanding, Its better to mention it now.

The frameworks are uploaded as, that's right, Frameworks and you have to tweak the following individual instructions along with the focus passing in team instructions to suit your own general idea of how to approach the coming season. You might be limited in terms of lacking wide players thinking that the narrow 451 or 442 might do the trick. You might have great wingers and a AMC, making you want to use a wide diamond but in the end, that does not mean the current settings will suit you players. Its also possible to use a deep lying playmaker and a box2box midfielder and not just the MCleft ballwinnner and the MCright creative and more attacking MC

Focus passing:

Whether you play a narrow formation withing a narrow width or using a wide 442, using the widest possible width in the widest pitch ever seen, its quite possible to you different focus passing, a depending on the strength of the team. Its also important that you pay attention to the pitch size. If the pitch is narrow and suit team playing predominantly through through the middle and the version you pick for the game foucusses down the flanks, the adjust it on step closer, setting it to mixed instead. The same goes for pitches suiting teams playing down the flanks, if using a version playing through the middle, adjust it one step closer, once again setting it to mixed.

Wide play

If choosing a wide formation then add the chosen focus passing, how would you want your wide play settings. Should perhaps one winger huge the touchline whilst the FC playing in front of him moves into channels, passing the ball back to the winger for him to make a cross into the box for your other winger to cut inside and slot into the goal. Should you in a narrow formation let some midfielders huge the touchline to provide width in attack, stretching the opponent whilst keeping the defensive and narrow shape when not in possession

Free roles

if giving one player a free role, you have to consider from what position your player will roam from and where he is most likely to send up when seeking free space and also if he is capable of finding it

Creative freedom

Undermines your direct orders but also given him the opportunity to play to his ppms more often. If the settings of your FC or him by his stats is reliant of a certain supply, then perhaps its not a brilliant idea to give the rest of the team too high in CF. In other cases, if setting the FC to a free role and having a MCa that is great in reading the game, its better to give him high CF in order for them to function as a FC-MC combo

Hold up ball

If a player is told to hold up the ball, this means that he will take more time making up his mind when considering his options. Sometimes this results in a player making better decisions and more opportunities opens up when support arrives but it can also mean that fewer passing options are available as the opponent gets back into their defensive position.

D-line

Basiclly, if playing in long pitches, lower it by a few notches. If its combined with a slipper pitch, lower it slightly more. If its a short pitch, you can raise te d-line slightly

Part two, the roles

Here I want to ensure you understand that whilst the MCleft is set to a lower mentality and the MCright to a slightly higher, this does not mean that the rest of the settings sould not be set. If playing with a really good team, you might want to actually use the fact that you have 2 complete MCs and not restrict one of them into being a ballwinner only as in the default framework settings and the same goes for the Fcs, maybe they are good enough to swap positions etc. Perhaps you have a ballplaying DC and want to take advantage of his passing skills

The central Defenders

In the default settings, their settings are very restricting, juts like most DCs should be setup. But if you have a ball playing DC that have good stats in passing, technique acceleration, creativity and decision, then you can provide him with mixed in run with ball and t-balls and if being a really good one, even with Hold Up ball in the more attacking versions like Attack and Control

The Fullbacks

Here, I actually make very little difference between a wing back and a fullback and put this more down to the default attackingness of the versions and the wide play of the wingers, pitch size etc.

If using wingers that cut inside, it can be good to provide width by giving the FB huge touchline, making overlaps. If playing a narrow game and the DC and defensive MC plays a short passing game, then I would drop that wide play option so that he is closer to his teammates

The Central Midfielders

IN the default settings, The MCleft is a defensive ball winning midfielder and the MCright is set to a more creative Box2Box. Here, you can change there settings( not mentality and closing down though) this to suit your squad as long as you still make sure you have a balance in your team. When playing with a team in the highest division, perhaps even a top 5 team pushing for a place in Europe and have 2 almost complete MCs, then consider using the more defensive one ( the MCleft) as a more creative and hardworking MC and perhaps his partner as a more attacking box2box. Whether you chose you actually use a playmaker is entirely up to you

The Wingers

Again, never mind the wide play of these players as such and feel free to change their settings. Just take into account the way they are setup together with the fullbacks ( making overlaps or not)

If the player have stats that matches his ppms ( cut inside perhaps?) then I would let him play to them by. If he has a slightly poor decision stat, then restrict this creative freedom and remove the free role to make sure he does what you tell him to in the wide play option.

The Forwards

Here, we again have to adjust to the squad at hand. In the default settings , the mentality of the FCs in relation to the teams mentality is what should be more or less the same but apart form that, you can change almost anything. You can use any partnership up front as long as you play to their strength and they are setup to suit the actual match strategies/versions

Swapping players

When swapping players, please remember that they also swap instructions as those are set to the the position ( AMR, AML, MCLÖ, MCR etc) and not to the actual player

If having 2 more or less complete FCs, then I would indeed let them swap position. This can also be done with 2 FCs that are not complete but good enough to play in both roles you have setup if they are not too requiring of specific competence

The same goes for the wingers although here you should pay attention to their ppms and preferred foot.

The MCs can also swap position and this can be a very good idea if having a really good team with 2 creative and hardworking MCs, using one of them as a deep lying playmaker ( both by settings and in the list, ticking the playmaker box) and one more attacking box2box)

Just make sure - and this is important . That you are not using any specific man marking whilst doing this

1.4 The Frameworks

Here, 4 major frameworks are uploaded. Although the individual settings such as wide play, crossing, t-ball, runs from deep, free role and hold up ball have been given to each and every player, these are set to suit the teams I used when testing them and like stated in 1.4, you have to tweak them to suit you team. The main point in the frameworks - each containing 7 matchstrategies or versions - are the positioning of the players (mentality, closing down) , the tempo, width ,d-line and the overall amount of t-balls, forward runs and holding players, together forming the versions labelled such as Attack, Balanced, Defensive etc.

There is also a brief description of each framework as the flow of the game is very different using a narrow 451 from a wide 442 and the roles and required competence of the players will be different. When looking at the provided screenshots, you can see that each comes with 4 additional suggested formation labeled A, B, C and D and below each framework, there are suggested positioning tweaks( mentality, closing down) to make if altering the formation.

Wide 451 DOWNLOAD LINK

Overall concept of the framework

We use the flanks and let the wingers both cross from byline and cut inside. When using a single FC, he needs to be up for the job of both scoring and open up space. The MCright is the more creative and the MCleft the ball winner.

451final.png

Postioning tweaks when changing the formation and short description if the same

A - In this formation the wingers helps out in defence less pressure is put in the Fullbacks to cover space

- No tweaks here really concerning the mentality and closing down settings but do consider adding some run from deep to the MR/L in all version but Counter and defensive

B - Here we get better width and also provide the fullbacks with better support as our outer MCs cuts angles and picks up the AI wingers

- Nr 10: Mentality = Team + 2 in all versions

C - Here, we use much more passing triangles. This formation favours the quicker versions Quick Counter and Attack more than Control and Defensive. But when using the slower ones, I would increase the tempo slightly in balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

- Nr 9 Mentality = Team in all versions but Counter and Defensive, then lower it by just 2 notches

- Nr 10 Mentality = Team + 2 in all versions

- Nr 6 Mentality = Team

D, Here are actually 2 formations, one using the Nr 10 in AMC that requires no tweaking and one, dropping him into MC that does.This formation favours the quicker versions Quick Counter and Attack more than Control and Defensive. But when using the slower ones, I would increase the tempo slightly in balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

Nr 6: Mentality = Team

Nr 10 in MC = Mentality = Team +2

Narrow 451 DOWNLOAD LINK

By flooding the midfield and stretching their defence by lots of movement, we overload both the flanks as well as the penalty area. The MCright is the creative one and the MCLeft the ball winner

narrow451final.png

Positioning tweaks when changing the formation and short description if the same

A - Makes it much harder for teams to penetrate our area and we hold possession well in defence. If going one man down, this is my favourite formation, dropping Nr 10.This formation favours the quicker versions Quick Counter and Attack more than Control and Defensive. But when using the slower ones, I would increase the tempo slightly in balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

B - Here, we use much more passing triangles

- Nr 9 Mentality = Team in all versions but Counter and Defensive, then lower it by just 2 notches

- Nr 10 Mentality = Team + 2 in all versions

- Nr 6 Mentality = Team

C - Defensive formation by default.This formation favours the slower versions Control and Defensive more than Quick Counter and Attack But when using the quicker ones, I would decrease the tempo slightly in Balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

D -

Nr 10 - Give hm the same mentality and closing down as Nr 8

Wide 442 DOWNLOAD LINK

Again, we use the flanks but as this is a 2 FC formation, you can use specific competence up front and tweak the FC settings to suit the squad at hand. IN the uploaded settings, the FCleft is the one moving into channels and the FCright the more creative one. The MCright is the more creative and the MCleft the ball winner

wide442final.png

Positioning tweaks when changing the formation and short description if the same

A In short, a slightly more demanding version for your DMC as he will need both breat passing ability and be able to cover more space

- Nr 8: Mentality = Team

- Nr 6: Mentality = Team

B A more defensive formation by default that may not be suitable when using Attack and certainly not when using Overload.This formation favours the slower versions Control and Defensive more than Quick Counter and Attack But when using the quicker ones, I would decrease the tempo slightly in Balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

C Much more attacking formation .This formation favours the quicker versions Quick Counter and Attack more than Control and Defensive. But when using the slower ones, I would increase the tempo slightly in balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

D The most attacking formation of them all, not suitable when using Counter and defensive

This formation favours the quicker versions Quick Counter and Attack more than Control and Defensive. But when using the slower ones, I would increase the tempo slightly in balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

- No tweaks at all

Narrow 442 DOWNLOAD LINK

Here, we flood the midfield just like in the narrow 451. The players will cover a lot of space so its important that they are up for it, especially the fullbacks. The MC and FC roles are the same as in the Wide 442

narrow442final.png

A Much more attacking formation.This formation favours the quicker versions Quick Counter and Attack more than Control and Defensive. But when using the slower ones, I would increase the tempo slightly in balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

B A more defensive formation by default that may not be suitable when using Attack and certainly not when using Overload.This formation favours the slower versions Control and Defensive more than Quick Counter and Attack But when using the quicker ones, I would decrease the tempo slightly in Balanced and Attack away by 2-3 notches and 1-2 notches in Defensive

C Very attacking formation that might not be suitable when using Counter and defensive

D

1.5 Using multiple frameworks

Its totally possible to use multiple frameworks with one team, especially at higher levels where you have a quality squad depth and perhaps more versatile players. As an example, a team like Arsenal could use the following setup

Attack: Wide 4231 from the wide 451 framework

Balanced: Wide4411 from the wide 451 framework

Defensive: Narrow 4231 from the narrow 451 framework

Overload: wide 424 from the wide 442 framework

Control: Wide 442 from the wide 442 framework

Balanced +++: Wide 4231 from the wide 451 framework

Counter: Wide 42121 from the wide 451 framework

This example may be extreme and is not advisable unless you are able to read the ME and use extended highlights a a minimum but, they have Wingers that can can play in both MR/L, AMR/L and AMC along with FCs that function good in AMC, MCs that can play DMC, its possible to use this kind of approach. But again, you have to be able to read the ME and spot what is a tactical issue and what is down to other factors as confidence, moral etc.

My current team has one mobile FC and one creative AMC/FC, so given this circumstances, I use the Wide 442 in the more attacking versions whilst using the Wide 451, dropping back the FCright into AMC, making it a 4411 in the more defensive versions

This also bring us back to the very first steps one should make when taking over a new team

- Make a SWAT

- Make plans for the future

1.6 Set Pieces

In none of these tactics, the set pieces has actually been thoroughly set up and the reason for it is simple: The user have to do it to suit the squad at hand. I would have no idea if your DMC, DCl, FB is your heading monster or what players should stay forward since they are fast etc etc.

The only thing I urge you to do is to NOT implement any corner exploit, at least not initially. If doing so, you will in the end have no idea if you won because you picked the correct version or if you won even though choosing the incorrect one.

1.7 Playmaker and Target Men

In testing, I have not used any of the above but if wanting to implement them, the slower version would benefit more from a playmaker whilst the quicker would from using a Target man. IN the single FC formation, the Fc would obviously be the target man but in the 442´s, you could chose for your self depend on how you would want to play the game, When it comes to playmakers, the MCright is the more creative of the MCs but if using a Box midfield, any of the AMCs could work equally well.

1.8 Opposition Instructions

Firstly we have to identify the 2 separate reasons for using OI´s

• To deny a specific player from using his abilities or taking advantage of a specific players weaknesses - feel free to ask questions on specific scenarios in the thread and I will put up these examples here
  • To disturb the way a specific team is playing - feel free to ask questions on specific scenarios in the thread and I will put up these examples here

1.) As said, here we focus on deny a specific player from using his abilities or taking advantage of a specific players weaknesses. It can be a player with great longshots, a great crosser, an incutting AMR or simply a weak link like a nervous fullback/DMC, a MR/L or FC lacking in first touch and agility.

Here, we have to think about what influence the OIs will have on our defensive shape and whether our players are capable of pulling it of. Its no good trying to close down a pacey AMR/L if our fullbacks are slow and has no support from a DMC or MR/L.

- more to come

2.) Here, we are not initially interested in the individual but in the way the AI plays. The aim is to disturb them in playing their game by either denying certain players space, cutting angels and limiting their passing options, reduce their time on the ball etc. When saying that the player in not interesting initially, you understand that his abilities might hinder us from actually implement this instructions

Beneath here, some examples will be made as how I usually setup my OI in specific situations

Facing the cautious formation 4141 ( Wolves, Bolton)

When dealing with teams using triangles, moving up the field in a cautious manner, we actively seek to disturb this by cutting angles and denying holding players time on the ball

Most of the time, their MR/L looks for a diagonally short pass to on of his team mates positioned behind the ball. Here, I always look to cut the angels in playing the ball sideways onto the DMC and MCs by Close Down /Always and showing him down the line ( right foot on right flank, left on left flank), thereby positioning my player between him and his central playing teammates. Combined with Closing Down always on their Fullbacks and if micromanaging, let our AMC or FCd tight manmark their DMC, we bot manages to put their wide players under pressure as well as cutting angles and limiting their passing options

Under what circumstances can this backfire then ? Well, if their MR/L have high stats in agility, acceleration, pace and dribbling in relation to our MR/L or Fullbacks stats in tackling, acceleration, pace and anticipation he will probably beat our player and go down the line for a cross so here the abilities of the actually players make an impact on our decision whether to do this or not.

Their Lone FC also needs to be disturbed if they use him as a link man, coming deep to hold up the ball until their team mates arrives. Often, he drops deep, exploiting the gap between our defenders and midfield and as this is one passing option that still is available to the fullbacks when put under pressure, its important to Close him down/Often and tackle him hard. If you are up against the likes of Elmander(Bolton), he will struggle in playing his game but when trying to implement this onto a great FC running down the flanks onto the ball, i might backfire, our DC being pulled out of position and/or yellow and red cards when we go in too hard on him

Facing a wide 41221 ( Arsenal, Blackburn etc)

- to come

Facing a 4411 ( Everton)

- to come

Facing a Narrow Diamond(Chelsea)

- to come

Facing a Wide Diamond(In germany ?)

- to come

Facing a Flat 442(Man U, Sunderland etc)

- to come

Facing a Narrow 4321(West ham)

- to come

Facing a deep and wide 4231(Liverpool)

1.9 Copyright

No content in this thread can be published without my permission except during following circumstances

• When there is no other alternative
  • In a emergency and you fear for your life
  • When you really, really want to

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SECOND POST

1.4 The versions within the sets -

All frameworks comes with 7 different math strategies or versions to be implemented depending on situation. These 7 versions are divided into 2 categories

• The 3 main versions: Attack - Balanced - Defensive
  • The 4 additional versions: Overload - Control - Balanced+++ - Quick Counter

When you pick version, 2 things have to be taken into consideration

1. Our strength versus the strength of the opponent

2. How big a threat the opponent consider us to be

Of course, there are many other variables to take into account as well such as form,team gelling, weather, motivation, pitch played in etc, but these factors as always there and they change in a way that it would be impossible to cover in one single thread

My point is that no approach can be the absolute correct choice if only looking at the opponents stature or the match odds,. Sometimes, despite that they will try hitting us on the break, our version Attack will work a charm, due to that their attackers are so slow and our defenders so quick whilst in another, they will outscore us, wining 5-3 as our d-line just was too high for our players to cope with. So in short- and this is very important - Its not only the teams general quality that is deciding on the version picking or result, but also how good the opponent is at playing their game in relation to our ability to play to the strength of our approach. A world class team facing a mid team will still struggle breaking them down if they have very good defenders with great mental stats, especially if they play a cautious and smart approach within a defensive formation. Think about what the version does and doesn't and then consider if the opponent is good enough to exploit its weaknesses and if we are strong enough to carry out our instructions

MAIN VERSION - The settings in the tactics differ slightly from the screenshots depending on the chosen framework

mainlv.png

ATTACK HOME

This version is a very attacking uses lot of the pitch width. The fullbacks are bombing forward at all times but the midfield move as a unit and t-balls are not spread left and right at all costs, but instead to suit the purpose, stretching their defence by overloading their flanks and box.

If the equal opponent sits with men behind the ball, trying to draw their opponent on and then use one or two attacker that plays on the shoulder of the defence, i.e. using their version of 6.Counter, this version can be rather risky, especially if we are not the superior team

BALANCED

The name or it kind of gives it away as its a balanced approach that can both keep possession using a patient build up as well as using tempo changes, resulting in hitting the opponent on the break. The flow of the game will of course differ depending on the chosen formation but the approach remain the same regardless if we play a narrow formation using passing focus through the middle or exploit the flanks making crosses into the box

DEFENSIVE

A slow possession based football with the aim to pin the ball forwards and backwards between our players. The opponent should be restricted to taking long shots when out of angel AND under pressure (i.e., those non dangerous ones; D). Though, its not an ultra defensive since we use counter attack and if breaking up attacks when the opponent have few men behind the ball, we will despite using a slow tempo, launch quick counter attacks when the players see it fit to do so

ADDITIONAL VERSIONS - The settings in the tactics differ slightly from the screenshots depending on the chosen framework

adda.png

OVERLOAD

This version has basically one aim and its to overload the final third with players, put high pressure on the defensive opponent and never give them time to rest, hassle them to buckle up under the pressure. Here, we play much more direct than in any of the other version and whilst we do not play very wide, our fullbacks provide width, acting like wingers

CONTROL

It’s a wide and slowish breakdown tactic to be used against team sitting deep, playing defensive. . The aim is to create space and then to use it by exploiting the gaps and holes that appear when we have stretched their defence. Rash decisions or crosses against such well organized and positioned opponents almost always backfire...

When playing as an overachieving middle team/underdog, you might find that when the opponents starts playing defensive against us, your team might actually not be good enough to use this version, just like in real life

BALANCED+++

This one is a more attacking version of the main version Balanced. Here, we look to keep possession and use triangles higher up in the pitch. More players are given attacking instruction and we look to overload the penalty area with the fullbacks providing width.

[*] QUICK COUNTER

This version is also played in a more cautious manner but the difference between this one and the more possession based Balanced or the other more cautious version defensive, this versions has one aim: To exploit the fact that the AI is playing slightly headless with great risk, leaving holes behind their fullbacks using a high d-line. This is the only time when 6.Counter is really great, when we are able to play the ball into space, behind the fullbacks, into channels.

If having too much possession using this tactic – and not creating anything of course - then the AI are playing with a normal d-line BUT with low closing down, this means that we should go up 1 or 2 a versions.

If loosing out on possession immediately, the fullbacks having a terrible passing completion and once again, not creating any chances at all, then the AI is probably playing with a normal-deeper d-.line AND with a higher closing down setting. Our attacks will be fruitless as their fullbacks or DC´s will be the first to the ball, the space not being there to play it into. Here it’s important to either go down a version to Defensive or up a version to Balanced, all depending on how attacking we want to be and how Attacking the AI is playing( never sit to deep and play too defensive against a AI using their Control-version). The signs should be very easy to see. If we retrieved possession, you have chosen the correct version, if not, well, and then you have chosen the wrong direction

1.7 Crucial Stats - a brief walk through

- To come

TEXT HERE

THIRD POST - To come

2.3 Uploaded and suggested tactics for specific teams

Here, I will link to any post that asks for tactics for specific teams

If you post a screenshot of your team along with information on how you plan to build for the future, the link to that post will be added here if its of benefits to other users ( i.e, a team consisting of none or few newgens)

THE BARNSLEY PROJECT

This will be my first project in the 10.3, using my new frameworks. Just like in the previous projects, I will try to tell you about my reasoning as how and why I will use frameworks, versions, tweaks to the d-line and wide play etc, etc.

AS we have a restricting of 4 screenshots/post, further posts, matches, transfers etc etc, will be put in the thread as usuall and linked to here in the OP so that I ca

We start of by looking at the actual squad and what possibilities that opens up for us this season. Screens of all the players are put up in links that you have to click

Media prediction: 22nd

Balance: £1.6 m

Transfer Budget:Adjusted to £25k

Wage budget: Adjusted to £65k/w

Current wage bill: £61k/w

THE SQUAD

barnoverall.png

DEFENDERS

Rob Kozluk

Steve Foster

Ryan Shotton - Loan from Stoke ( pre-start)

Bobby Hassell

Nathan Doyle

Darren Moore

O´Neil Thompson

Carl Dickinson - Loan from Stoke ( pre-start)

Here we find a few adequate players. Foster is our best DC and our fullbacks can play the part although we only have one left footed DB, Dickinson, and he is on loan. Darren Moore is a player that should have retired a few years ago and if I have to play him, then I dont expect to win. Hassel is a player that will need to cover up in midfield as we have too few MCs

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS

Hugo Colace

Anderson Silva

Jacob Butterfield

Too few players here actually and we will probably have to use some of our defenders in this positions as well. Anderson Silva is rather good and cab we used both as an attacking Mc and a DMC. Colace on the other hand can only be given defensive duties as he lacks in off the ball, only having 5 in that stat

Butterfield is a player that can play both roles although not being really good at it

WIDE MIDFIELDERS

Martin Devaney

Adam Hamill

Iain Hume . Injuried the first day of training, 4-5 Months

Mounir El Haimour

Emil Halfredsson - Loan from Reggina ( pre-start)

Hume being out Injured is a blow as I consider him being a good player for the level playing at. Our loan from reggina, Halfredsson, is our star player and he will probably also be used in a FC position as we dont have that many attackers

ATTACKERS

Daniel Bogdanovic

Jon Macken

Andy Gray

Jamil Adam- Reserve team player

Bogdanovic knows how to put the ball into the net but the rest is poor

The SWOT - a summary

The main Strength of the team are

Our determination. This is a team that should be able to fight for the points, not giving up when 2-0 behind

The main Weaknesses are..

The squad depth and lack of specific competence up front.

Too few MCs to play 3 central midfielders

Too few attackers

The main Opportunities are...

Our healthy economy will provide us with more options in the future

Finding some free transfer bargains

Selling some of our players on high wages, making it possible to add more squad depth within the wage budget

The main Threats are the...

Players wanting out: Both Foster in defence and Bogdanovic attracts interest of better clubs and as they wont bring in that much money of sold, we will struggle to get equally good players as replacements.

Injuries: If getting one or two defenders out, we will struggle big time. The same goes for if Bogdanovic gets injured

Conclusion - Framework and formation and framework to be used

As we only have one good FC, it would be easy to come to the conclusion that we should play a 451 but as we have even fewer MCs. this is not an option. I am also not sure if Bogdanovic is good enough to play as a lone FC, a positions that in my opinion needs a player that have better stats in Creativity and strength.

Our ambition this season will be based in reality and as the media predicting us 22nd is a rather fair one, our aim will be to get a safe middtable position by grinding out results when playing away and try to play attacking at home. If we get injuries in midfield or defence, we might have to play attacking in all matches

as we simply wont be good enough in defending ( remember Reading in the EPL )

So knowing this, we will play a wide 4132, using the following formation and tactics that will be slightly tweaked before each game

Download Links

Defensive

Balanced

lieupp.png

Links to the season

First match: Sheff Wed - Barnsley 0-3

League Cup Port Vale - Barnsley 0-2

Barnsley - Coventry 1-1

Barnsley - Preston 1-3

Leicester - Barnsley 0-3

League Cup: Birmingham - Barnsley 0-0FT, 1-1ET, 5-3P

The injuries and Barnsley - Reading 4-1

Looking forward to the feedback :thup:

Well you won the tactic of 2009 helping me win many trophies which I couldnt win with other tactics. Have to say Im convinced (well v.nearly) already. I took over Roma when they finished in bottom half and I'm in to first full season, currently 9th but have just won 3-1 away to Inter using cautious tactic so quite amazing. Oh well let's see what else happens. Cheers TBH!!!

How good have your results been with these teams mate?

I am yet to finish a season with any of the teams but I am heavily over performing. I have decided to play every team twice. First with a manager having the highest rep, then with a foreign manager, not speaking English set to the lowest reputation

West Ham: 12 matches, top of the league ( Manager rep, International footballer)

West Ham: 14 matches, 13th ( Manager rep, Sunday League)

Everton: 19 matches, 4:th ( International footballer

Everton, 10 matches, 11th ( sunday League)

Sunderland, 22 matches, 5:th ( international footballer)

Sunderland, 10 matches 14th ( Sunday League)

In these tests, I have used the same methods in version picking and the flow of the game have been mostly the same. In the saves where my manager has a high rep, the players makes less defensive errors and the attackers have no problem to convert. using the low rep manager, not speaking English, the players makes more mistakes and the attackers have problems converting. Morale has been about the same but if I was to continue the saves with the low rep manager, it would drop for sure if results where as bad

I am yet to finish a season with any of the teams but I am heavily over performing. I have decided to play every team twice. First with a manager having the highest rep, then with a foreign manager, not speaking English set to the lowest reputation

West Ham: 12 matches, top of the league ( Manager rep, International footballer)

West Ham: 14 matches, 13th ( Manager rep, Sunday League)

Everton: 19 matches, 4:th ( International footballer

Everton, 10 matches, 11th ( sunday League)

Sunderland, 22 matches, 5:th ( international footballer)

Sunderland, 10 matches 14th ( Sunday League)

In these tests, I have used the same methods in version picking and the flow of the game have been mostly the same. In the saves where my manager has a high rep, the players makes less defensive errors and the attackers have no problem to convert. using the low rep manager, not speaking English, the players makes more mistakes and the attackers have problems converting. Morale has been about the same but if I was to continue the saves with the low rep manager, it would drop for sure if results where as bad

Ah wow that really does make a difference then. I knew made a difference about players being interested but didn't think it would have such drastic effect on results.

Ah wow that really does make a difference then. I knew made a difference about players being interested but didn't think it would have such drastic effect on results.

Now, its only been 3 seasons to compare with but the main point in these saves have been that once I got a bad start, it seemed harder to make a comeback with a low rep manager than in previous editions. I like it as its more realistic.

On a side note I can say that i decided to retire my Low rep manager for west ham. only to add a new English International Footballer as the new manager. Since then, we are on a wining streak of 7 matches ( 2 in the cup), including beating Arsenal ( 4th), Pool ( 5th) and Man u ( 3rd). The version picking have been just the same

Now, its only been 3 seasons to compare with but the main point in these saves have been that once I got a bad start, it seemed harder to make a comeback with a low rep manager than in previous editions. I like it as its more realistic.

On a side note I can say that i decided to retire my Low rep manager for west ham. only to add a new English International Footballer as the new manager. Since then, we are on a wining streak of 7 matches ( 2 in the cup), including beating Arsenal ( 4th), Pool ( 5th) and Man u ( 3rd). The version picking have been just the same

I also would like to try the 4231 set, if possible. Please send it to mdtalbot@gmail.com if you don't mind me having a look.

Not sure if you got my PM

Would you be able to include how you choose your starting tactic and if and when you swap tactics during the game?

Thanks TBH

This looks good, i have had 3 wins a draw and 1 loss so far, i feel i could be doing better if i knew which tactic to use when?

@TBH

Thanks.

Also, do you use Opposition Instructions at all ?

-Mic

Yes, but those are more player specific.

Example: if my fullback has great agility and acceleration and the onefooted winger has lesser pace and average first touch, then I always show onto weaker foot.

What attributes do you recommend for the AMC in the 4-2-3-1? I have Riquelme and he's not exactly the most physical of players.

I cant say that I recommend any speciell players at all as its down to the balance of the team. He will do just fine, especially if your DMCs lacks in creativity :D

Hi TBH,

Really hoping to get this working but i'm initially worried about choosing the right starting tactic? :(

I have read the instructions but remain unclear as to which tactic to use?

On first glance i have also noticed a LOT of fouls given away.

If playing as west ham, i would probably start my Home games with Balanced or Attack away. Away from home, my choice would probably be Attack away - Counter or Defensive.

If starting with the Balanced approach and you see that the inferior/ equal opponent gets too much time on the ball and that they are playing a short passing game, keeping possession, then you need to go up one version to attack away. If you still find that you struggle to get inside their area, then Control is the version to use. If they should raise their d-line and suddenly start to attack, then consider using either Attack Home or Counter as now there is space to attack without stretching their defence or luring them onto us..

Hi TBH,

I'm getting tonked here and getting players sent off in 2 out of 3 games, lost 3-0 away to Bolton(used balanced) 3-0 to Chelsea(defensive and counter) and 1-0 down to City(defensive)within a few minutes and another red card.

I was carrying on from a save using your last set, i switched the game off after getting yet another red card away to City and i think i may have to start again.

Is there any way you can let m know how you were lining up in YOUR West Ham save?

These may very well be great tactics but i think i really need help choosing which one to start with and may well have to change the tackling instructions?

Hi TBH,

I'm getting tonked here and getting players sent off in 2 out of 3 games, lost 3-0 away to Bolton(used balanced) 3-0 to Chelsea(defensive and counter) and 1-0 down to City(defensive)within a few minutes and another red card.

I was carrying on from a save using your last set, i switched the game off after getting yet another red card away to City and i think i may have to start again.

Is there any way you can let m know how you were lining up in YOUR West Ham save?

These may very well be great tactics but i think i really need help choosing which one to start with and may well have to change the tackling instructions?

In my current save, 4.Attack away is my stating version at home. playing away, i tend to use Attack away or defensive if its dry, and Counter if its pouring down and the AI uses a high/highish d-line

here are some matche sfrom my last save

Bolton: I my save, I won 2-1 after using 4.Attack away, me being considered favourite

Chelsea: Lost 3-1. After being 1-0 down after 3 minutes, starting with Defensive, They

switched approach and then I dominated the game until the 75th minute. Then I tried to snatch a draw in the last minutes by going Attack Home with attacking FBs. This was clearly a mistake and they scored twice in 2minutes. a late consolidating goal after using Defensive again set the final results

City: 3-0 :D. I used Attack away for 75 minutes, then Defenisve for the last 15

Send offs: I have not had this problem bur when a player gets a yellow card, I set his tackling to easy and reduce his closing down settings slightly. If he is "fired up" and/or gets skinned by his player, I sub him. In my 7 or 8 half-seasons, i have only got 3 or 4 red cards.

Linup: In testing, I always let the assman do the picking and as he is defenisve, he tends to pick defensive players :D

TBH

in 4-2-3-1 what do you think about to remove one DMC to MC position ?

Try it but consider dropping his mentality with 2-4 notches in each version as he/they are now set slightly higher than the team mentality to position them selfes higher up in the pitch and play more agressive

What version/formation would you suggest for top teams?

Although I am yet to make any sets that are restricted to any team , top teams can be be slightly limited by using a target man, especially when the opponents sits deep and uses an anchor man.

are this still beta or final versions ?

Until the final patch has arrived, all sets will be considered betas as they can only "go gold" once. Of the tactics in the OP, the normal 442 is the final versions until next patch but the other 2 sets will probably - and all depending on the level of feedback given - be tweaked and uploaded in a new version

THE HAPPY HAMMER PROJECT 2010

MORE INFORMATIONM FOUND

HERE

FIRST MATCH: MAN CITY - AWAY

STARTING VERSION: 7.DEFENSIVE

In this match, I considered us lucky if we could steal a point as the opposition is superior. My choices here where 5.Balanced, 6.Counter or 7.Defensive and as I had no idea how they would play, high d-line, low d-line aggressive, no aggressive, I considered that the version 6.Counter could backfire. Now the choices where down to 5: Balanced or 7.Defensive and as I wanted to get a draw, not a win, a chose 7.Defensive

They only got close to scoring on some corners. We scored 1-0 in the first half and we won very comfortable. When they subbed Adebayor for Zabaleta, switching position on Zabaleta and Robinho, I reloaded the tactic to be sure that the marking did not go awole and we saw the game out without them having a single CCC´S in the whole game

mcfcwh.png[/center]

MORE INFORMATIONM FOUND

HERE

2ND MATCH: BURNLEY - AWAY

STARTING VERSION: 5. BALANCED

Just like in the previous game, I had no idea on how they would play but my guess – based on experience from previous FM-editions on how teams play early in the season – was that they where going for the 3 points. There for, I chose 5.Balanced as it’s a very stable version

We dominated the game pretty much but they played compact with lots of men behind the ball. In the 18th minutes, I switched to 4.Attack away; the reason? – I wanted to be more attacking and by playing slower and more patient lure them up in the field. It only took us 3 minutes to score and it was very clear that it had to do with the version change as we – for the first time – managed to stretch their defence sideways AND lure a DC up fields

After the goal, they raised their d-line –setting it to normal – and pushed up their fullbacks, playing down the flanks. Si now I switched back to 5.Balanced and tweaked our Fullbacks to stay back

In the second half nothing happens until they went more attacking in the 65th minutes. Then I switched to 6.Counter to be able to score 2-0 and close out the game. We had 2 good chances but as we failed to score, I switched to 7.Defensive in the 80th minutes to see the game out.

Their only CCC´S sand 2 shots on goal came from a scramble after a corner

burnleywh.png

MORE INFORMATIONM FOUND

HERE

CUPMATCH: BARNSLEY - AWAY

STARTING VERSION: a tweaked ATTACK HOME

Before the game, I was choosing between either 2.Control or 4.Attack away but as the weather forecast said it was going to rain, I chose the more direct Attack Home and played more direct instead (i.e. I tweaked the passing settings). As results of playing quick and direct, I also let the fullback stay back as they would not have time be involved in the attack anyway

We scored 1-0 after 1 minute after putting in a cross from byline and it was clear that they could not cope with us overloading the flanks and penalty area

After 25 minutes they raised their d-line, pushing it up really high and started to attack us As our team seemed to show complacency, I reverted to 6.Counter as I was pretty sure I would hit them on the counter and get such clear cut chances that the complacency would not matter

After having had 3 good attacks our Goalie Green came out to pick an easy cross l but missed the ball by 2 yards (it looked really funny) .1-1

In the 2nd half I switched to 5.Balanced as it had stopped raining and we dominated the game and after our FCright (Cole had scored 3 goals I had 2 choices

- make some subbed a use 7.Defensive

- or remove the TM and using the DMC as a playmaker when switching to Control

I chose Control but since I had not seen that it had starting raining heavily again it backfired. Complacency (i.e. no movement or closing down) + rain + short passing in a slow tempo is a disaster and I switched to defensive after they had scored twice

In the end we won 4-3 but the lesson here is to never underestimate teams in the Championship, especially not when playing away to them

Archived