FM2010 - The Better Half - Tactical Sets, NO TC

What formation would you like to see me develop and make a project of next ?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What formation would you like to see me develop and make a project of next ?

• 4-1-2-2-1 (Flat 4 - DMC - MC, MC - AMR, AML - FC)
    • 4-1-2-2-1 ( Flat 4 - DMC- MR, ML - AMC, AMC - FC)
    • 4-2-3-1 Wide (Flat 4 - MC, MC - AMR, AMC, AML - FC )
    • 4-2-3-1 Narrow (Flat 4 - MC, MC - AMC, AMC, AMC - FC)
    • 4-3-2-1 Wide (Flat 4 - MC, MC, MC - AMR, AML - FC)

Yeah using the latest version. Just lost at home to Sevilla 0-2. They totally outplayed me. I started with attack home and lost an early goal (often happens with this tactic). Changed to control after half time and lost another (off a corner though). Switched back to attack home but just couldn't score.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah using the latest version. Just lost at home to Sevilla 0-2. They totally outplayed me. I started with attack home and lost an early goal (often happens with this tactic). Changed to control after half time and lost another (off a corner though). Switched back to attack home but just couldn't score.

With the real life knowledge we both have of Sevilla, would you say that playing that attacking against such a great counter attacking team was a good idea ;)

This is a typical 4.Attack away match, home against a good opponent that knows how to counter attack, Or, if staying away from that version until fully mastering the version picking, then Balanced would have been the correct choice

With the real life knowledge we both have of Sevilla, would you say that playing that attacking against such a great counter attacking team was a good idea ;)

This is a typical 4.Attack away match, home against a good opponent that knows how to counter attack, Or, if staying away from that version until fully mastering the version picking, then Balanced would have been the correct choice

Staying away from 4.Attack away?

Staying away from 4.Attack away?

That recommendation is only - repeating only - for those struggling with version picking. If finding it hard to chose, then stay away from 4.Attack away and there will be less agony until mastering the set ( i.e understanding my definition of the versions ;))

is the 4-4-2 set updated aswell?

Yes once, but as I am yet to receive any feedback, they are bound to have issues. The new framework is the one found in the new 4132, and then translated into the 41221, 4411, 4312 but not yet into the 442.

Hammer100 has helped me tremendously with the 4132 regarding making the set user friendly. If any one wants to have a go - uploading their matchstats, screens in the manner that Garry have done, then I will happily send a new 442

Yes once, but as I am yet to receive any feedback, they are bound to have issues. The new framework is the one found in the new 4132, and then translated into the 41221, 4411, 4312 but not yet into the 442.

Hammer100 has helped me tremendously with the 4132 regarding making the set user friendly. If any one wants to have a go - uploading their matchstats, screens in the manner that Garry have done, then I will happily send a new 442

i can give it a go i suppose,since i know ure a great tactic maker, that made me enjoy the 09 game,i will upload some ss and what versions i use when i play again,prolly tomorrow,i cba now,bed soon so and i have a memory as a pancake so i have to give feedback imediatly to get it right.

i can give it a go i suppose,since i know ure a great tactic maker, that made me enjoy the 09 game,i will upload some ss and what versions i use when i play again,prolly tomorrow,i cba now,bed soon so and i have a memory as a pancake so i have to give feedback imediatly to get it right.

Cheers, I will send you a PM with the link to the updated set tonight or tomorrow:thup:

Edit; Use the 4411 and put the AMC as FCright ( and the Fc to Fcleft). Feel free either to use the FCleft as a target man or the FCright as a playmaker

Cheers, I will send you a PM with the link to the updated set tonight or tomorrow:thup:

Edit; Use the 4411 and put the AMC as FCright ( and the Fc to Fcleft). Feel free either to use the FCleft as a target man or the FCright as a playmaker

,should i use one forward as playmaker?

hmm,ill show u my forwards

here we go.... using ur 4411 changed to a 442.

Starting with a hard game away,vs schalke... were 5th in legue they are second and evens fav.

I will start with counter and as forwards i will use perez as right forward and pasu as left one... here we go

3rd min they scored the first goal..

lol 8th min second

23rd min not a shot on goal so far,just conceded my 3rd goal :s

32rd min,changing to attack away,possesoin at this point is 50-50 but no shots from us

after changing to attack away i got some shots on goal,here are the stats for 1st half

1stg.jpg

and kept playing second half with attack away,they prolly backed down and let us domindate possession,scored a consolation goal,maybe i was to defensive minded

fully.jpg

THE HAPPY HAMMER PROJECT 2010

MORE INFORMATIONM FOUND

HERE

: STOKE - HOME

Started with Control as I suspected that they would play ultra defensive and aggressive. They stood no chance as we played well and showed no complacency. After being 3-0, I switched down to Balanced to "contain" and scored 4-0

stoket.png

MORE INFORMATIONM FOUND

HERE

: ARSENAL - AWAY

I started using Balanced as its a version that even if incorrectly picked, rarely punishes you straight away and its also very easy to see the flaws. Today it was clear that we would benefit form using a more quick and direct approach since Arsenal pushed up their Fullbacks. Although we did not create any good chances, it worked as they dropped their d-line, providing us with possession. WE scored a fluke goal from a corner and in the 2nd half we got our DL sent off. Unable to cope with their pressure, we conceded to late goals and Arsenal got a well deserved victory.

Another day, we could have got the 3 points put as I had no match plan for playing 10 men, we lost

arsenla.png

Hey better half, I'm using your tactics and they've been working well against the big teams, but no matter which version I use we always struggle against small teams, I'm using west ham btw. Also our main fault is the opposition scoring from crosses/corners.

Hey better half, I'm using your tactics and they've been working well against the big teams, but no matter which version I use we always struggle against small teams, I'm using west ham btw. Also our main fault is the opposition scoring from crosses/corners.

What set are you using ?

When this happens, what are usually your starting version and what changes( version switching, removal of TM) do you make to get an advantage against the weaker opponent that are probably playing a cautious possession based approach, sitting rather deep with restricted t-balls and runs. ?

I'm using the 4132, same set as your hammer project. Against big teams I always play defensive. And we've only lost like 3 or 4 big 4 matche, cup matches included. Against smaller teams at home I tend ti use balanced ot attack away, but switch to attack home with 20 mins left if I'm not winning. Away I tend to use balaned against smaller teams but against someone like everton I'll eithar use defensive or counter. I have made no addjustments. We tend to score in the first 20 mins, and then we might get a second, But weather I switch defensivly or not they seem to comeback and score normally from crosses.

I'm using the 4132, same set as your hammer project. Against big teams I always play defensive. And we've only lost like 3 or 4 big 4 matche, cup matches included. Against smaller teams at home I tend ti use balanced ot attack away, but switch to attack home with 20 mins left if I'm not winning. Away I tend to use balaned against smaller teams but against someone like everton I'll eithar use defensive or counter. I have made no addjustments. We tend to score in the first 20 mins, and then we might get a second, But weather I switch defensivly or not they seem to comeback and score normally from crosses.

Here, I would show their wingers inside, possible implement some heavy man-marking through out the whole squad

I am currently making several sets based on the 6-version framework from the so far best wokring 4132. 18 sets have been made already ( although not uploaded)

Therefor, I would like some suggestions on formations and player types.

Ex: A 442 with a MR/L playmaker, a 442 with 2 complete Fcs swapping positions, 1 41221 with 2 swapping playmakerMCs a´la Iniesta Xavi, a 4321 with 5 roaming players, a 352 using some serious hoofing ( these have been made though)

Thanks

TBH, why do you think that your tactics are creating alot of CCCs, but wasting them?

Like Hammer1000's West Ham save is doing.......

I woud say that that is not thrue

He initially started poorley with the following stats

cccs--goals

0-0

2-0

1-0

1-0

1-2

1-0

tot 6-2

But after getting the grip of the version picking, he had the following convertings

cccs--goals

3-1

1-1

1-4

1-1

2-1

1-1

1-2

1-1

3-3

2-0

2-2

1-1

totally 23-18

these numbers are actually very, very good

Lost a bit motivation,i quitted my werder save for now,looking forward to ur new set,maybe ill get the spark back for that save...

I gave ur gold set a go instead,and man,its awesome so far.... Just beat the legue champions Bordeoux ( spelling ) 3-1 lol

stetiennes.jpg

8 games run, undefeated so far in the legue and in the cup :D

Lost a bit motivation,i quitted my werder save for now,looking forward to ur new set,maybe ill get the spark back for that save...

I gave ur gold set a go instead,and man,its awesome so far.... Just beat the legue champions Bordeoux ( spelling ) 3-1 lol

stetiennes.jpg

8 games run, undefeated so far in the legue and in the cup :D

When getting the version picking somewhere correct, it is a great set. I will be uploaded sets based on this one for the next few days, also giving the first post a better look

When getting the version picking somewhere correct, it is a great set. I will be uploaded sets based on this one for the next few days, also giving the first post a better look

ye i notice when i get it right i get the team to perform awesome,some error in version picking still,but getting there....

Some losses when i kept on playing,but still top 4 in legue,only a few narrow losses....... definitly over performing with my team so far,the set suits my team really well since i have a shitloads on dm/m players :D

looking forward to the updated sets... great work so far

Early days admittedly but here is the start of a LLM season with Peterborough North Star using the 442 (The one that's been temporarily removed from the first post - NOT the Target Man set).

The players are dire, as is the football, but talk about grinding out results ...

2afiu83.jpg

The Better Half, what is happening to this set? I chose it as it fits my squad the best; if you think there is a more suitable set for LLM, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Early days admittedly but here is the start of a LLM season with Peterborough North Star using the 442 (The one that's been temporarily removed from the first post - NOT the Target Man set).

The players are dire, as is the football, but talk about grinding out results ...

2afiu83.jpg

The Better Half, what is happening to this set? I chose it as it fits my squad the best; if you think there is a more suitable set for LLM, I'd love to hear your opinion.

To quote my self from the post above yours

More sets have been uploaded to the first post ( and some old have been removed until going gold)

So basically, that set will be uploaded again within the next days, this time in its final version ( as final it can be as this is not the final patch ;))

Edit: I would be most happy to now what versions you used to get those results as the set you are using - in my opinion - have 2 weak versions in 2.Attack Home and 5-Balanced.

Hey, TBH,

thanks for your hard work.

I'm patiently waiting for your tactics set for diamond formation.

I could give you some feedback if you wish.

Both the wide and narrow diamond will be up Friday evening. The set I am currently fine tuning is the DMC/AMC Box Midfield with 2 swapping AMCs and 2 complete FCs, also swapping position

I would be most happy to now what versions you used to get those results as the set you are using - in my opinion - have 2 weak versions in 2.Attack Home and 5-Balanced.

Ok ...

1-0 vs Eynesbury (H) was version 3-Attack Home - Not sure how much notice to take of this as there were 4 red cards in the match

0-0 vs Thrapston (A) was version 4-Attack Away

0-0 vs Rustington (H) was version 2-Control - We were very big favourites (1-20)

0-0 vs Burton Park (A) was version 5-Balanced - Again, we had a man sent off

1-0 vs Buckingham (H) was version 6-Counter - We were big underdogs despite being at home (7-1)

2-0 vs Rustington (A) was version 2-Control - We were even bigger favourites (1-33)

Hope this helps

Thank you! Will it work with BSS side? Or maybe i shoud tweak "creative freedom" to lower and "passing style" to more direct?

I think the biggest difference between lower league sides and premier quality is that crap players have problems in covering big areas, closing down correctly and positioning themselves when defending. So basically - though I never coach below league Two - I tend to lower the closing down setting and play slightly more narrow in the more attacking version ( the more defensive are already narrow )

I would be most happy to now what versions you used to get those results as the set you are using - in my opinion - have 2 weak versions in 2.Attack Home and 5-Balanced.

Ok ...

1-0 vs Eynesbury (H) was version 3-Attack Home - Not sure how much notice to take of this as there were 4 red cards in the match

0-0 vs Thrapston (A) was version 4-Attack Away

0-0 vs Rustington (H) was version 2-Control - We were very big favourites (1-20)

0-0 vs Burton Park (A) was version 5-Balanced - Again, we had a man sent off

1-0 vs Buckingham (H) was version 6-Counter - We were big underdogs despite being at home (7-1)

2-0 vs Rustington (A) was version 2-Control - We were even bigger favourites (1-33)

Hope this helps

MORE INFORMATIONM FOUND

HERE

28TH MATCH: TOTTENHAM- HOME

STARTING VERSION: 4.ATTACK AWAY

When I pick a version, I think about how I would approach the team on a neutral ground and then go one version up if playing at home and one version down if playing away. In this game, facing Spurs, 5. Balanced would have been my choice on neutral ground and there for 4.Attack Away was my choice at my home ground

We started out by controlling the game and scored 1-0 pretty early. When they started to attack us and regained possession, I went down to Balanced and we scored 2-0 instantly.

In the second half they came out as a new team and as they played with bombing fullbacks, i switched to 6.Counter and . again - we punished them. 3-0. when they switched to a 532, we switched to 2.Control and saw the game out, scoring 4-0 after a screamer.

spurs.png

Table of after 28 matches

table28.png

Recent fixtures and as you can see, we have played mainly weak teams and have rarely touched the more defensive versions

fixturesy.png

MORE INFORMATIONM FOUND

HERE

29TH MATCH: CHELSEA- AWAY

STARTING VERSION: 6. COUNTER

Here I made a clear mistake as firstly Balanced would have been a much better starting version but the biggest mistake was that I forgot to channel the play down the flanks instead of through the middle. They went 1-0 up but after having changed to Balanced and focusing the play down the flanks, we regained possession, although never threatening them.

In the 2nd half they scored 2-0 after 45 seconds. I then switched to 3.Attack Home and after scoring from a cross, this time actually using the flanks, we pushed for a equaliser but it was too late.

chelsk.png

If i can choose my starting tactic based on the scouting of the opposition or match odds then i think i'll be okay? anything else and i'll struggle.

I think you will do fine with those indicators as the matchodds bug from previous editions seems to gave been fixed. When having got the full grip of the version picking, you can add more factors like the tactcial approach of the AI manager, the weather( better to play more direct in the heavy rain) and your own form/over confidence/motivation/lack of confidence

Hint for the future: - Pretend you are facing the specific team on a neutral ground, what would your starting version be ? - Then use one version more attacking when playing at home and one version more cautious when playing away.

Some more information, quoting my self from another forum

/......./.....But the most important part is to understand the difference between the different versions. what makes attack away different from balanced, what makes control different from attack home

Control vs Attack home

- Control is to lure an very defensive team ( non attacking, deep d-line, compact) up in the field and stretch their defence. This version does not provide you with many chances but they are often on goal and - most importantly - results in a very clear cut chance, with the converter not being under stress.

- Attack Home is basically against the same team but when they are playing with counter attack and slightly more aggressive, not sitting with all men behind the ball

Attack away vs - Balanced

lets start with balanced first

- Balanced is for a more cautious approach with restrictive t-balls to keep possession. This works like a charm against either inferior teams trying to attack you as we lure their different stratas out of position, one by one. t also works good against a team trying to stretch our defence

- Attack away is against the same team that now sits slightly deeper with their attackers not tracking back. now we are in possession higher up in the field an use the width and flanks to stretch their defence. If balanced gave you possession but perhaps too much, not creating anything dangerous, then this is the version to use

Counter vs Defensive

- Counter is to be used when they are attacking with the whole team and having a average to pushed up d.line, their fullbacks making runs down the flanks. here is our chance to hit them on the break using a more direct and quick approach. If they starts to sit back, using their balanced or defensive, then we will be vulnerable as we will loose out in possession when having men storming forward

- Defensive then, well its against teams playing a very attacking approach but on the counter, just like in the opposite scenario above, we will now gain the possession. Against team playing a slowish but yet attacking football, using their control, then its better to use balanced

Hey TBH,

I went back to my old West Ham game in Season 2, first game i was up against Chelsea Away, i chose Defend because the odds were stacked against us and on a neutral ground i would have played Counter so went with the one below as we were Away.

We were actually a goal up with 5 mins to play and then we got a penalty. I let Rafinha take it(Pens 17 Comp 15) and of course he missed. Chelsea then equalised 2 mins later with a "Freak Goal" and managed to see out the draw.

Everton Away next and as neutrally i would have chosen "Balanced" i went with "Counter". We again led 1-0 in this game(AND missed another penalty) and at HT i noticed Everton went from 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2. I almost made the switch to "Defensive" there and then, but thought i'd see how we started the second half. Withing 6 mins of the restart we were 2-1 down thanks to two of the most ridiculous goals i've ever seen and to top it off Ashton missed a sitter in the final minutes of the game and the shot never even registered in the stats.

jkx1c3.jpg

what tactic would you reccomend for man united with the current squad,made my own but loose against lower teams and chelsea often cause me problems,pull of lucky draws against the mbut they always seem to get a lot more chances than me and ccc's.

Archived