FM10 Downloading through Steam A few questions

Im thinking of Downloading FM10 through steam. This will be the first time I have downloaded a game which isnt freeware or abandonware (am i allowed to mention that) and i have a few questions to ask. I apologize if any of these have been asked before.

Do you need an account with Steam?

After numerous problems with my computer over the past year causing Re-formatting of my hard drive and numerous installs of FM08. Will I be able to back up the game to Disk external drive etc?

If not will I be able to download the game again without having to pay again?

Is there a limit to how many times i can install it? (something ive heard, could cause problems considering my self destructive nature of my computer)

Is activation just an online version of a cd-key effectively type in the code once install has completed and away you go?

And finally are there any tips or things I should take into consideration when buying this game online? apart from the usual

Do you need an account with Steam?[/Quote]

Yes

After numerous problems with my computer over the past year causing Re-formatting of my hard drive and numerous installs of FM08. Will I be able to back up the game to Disk external drive etc?

It is saved to your Steam account so if you do have to reformat, you will only have to back up your save game and graphics. You will then download steam again and download the game again with no extra charge.

Yes

Is there a limit to how many times i can install it? (something ive heard, could cause problems considering my self destructive nature of my computer)

You can only install it once (using steam) and that is attached to your steam account. Your steam account can be used on any computer.

Is activation just an online version of a cd-key effectively type in the code once install has completed and away you go?

Yes

Im thinking of Downloading FM10 through steam. This will be the first time I have downloaded a game which isnt freeware or abandonware (am i allowed to mention that) and i have a few questions to ask. I apologize if any of these have been asked before.

Do you need an account with Steam? Yes you do

After numerous problems with my computer over the past year causing Re-formatting of my hard drive and numerous installs of FM08. Will I be able to back up the game to Disk external drive etc? No but you can download the game again from your steam account

See Above

There was a 5 seats rule last year but its not in this year. You could always deactivate seats anyway

Yup

And finally are there any tips or things I should take into consideration when buying this game online? apart from the usual

If you create a shortcut to the game remember to launch via Steam for autopatching.

Hope that helps?

A steam announcement will be made in the coming weeks according to Ben from sega. Have a read of the activation announcement thread :thup:

Steam is perfectly safe so no worries about downloading from there.

its not that, I wouldn't consider it if i did, and would question buying FM at all it i though Steam was some sort of 'dodgy used car salesman' of online game stores.

Its almost i don't trust myself, I don't want to get 6 months down the line and think **** i should of thought of that now im screwed.

Steam also allows you to backup the games to CD or another Hard drive.

Though you may find it cheaper to buy the boxed version rather than the steam version, and you can then link your boxed version to Steam so you don't need the disk to play. (you also have the benefit of being able to reinstall from the DVD, rather than having to download the game through Steam again).

its not that, I wouldn't consider it if i did, and would question buying FM at all it i though Steam was some sort of 'dodgy used car salesman' of online game stores.

Its almost i don't trust myself, I don't want to get 6 months down the line and think **** i should of thought of that now im screwed.

Iv used steam for 4 years now and Iv never had a single problem with them.

Iv bought plenty of games from them and I would recommend it to anyone.. :D

I would ditto what RyanBRFC says. I have used Steam only for the last year but I've been very happy with it. I have bought a fair few games and have had a thoroughly pleasant experiencing downloading, patching and playing those games.

There is an abundance of titles to buy now and a lot of third party support for Steam. If you feel like reminiscing old games then they also have a fair few old titles for just a few quid. I recently saw a lot of old Star Wars titles from the 90s and they have the Abe's games as well. May not be your cup of tea, but it's of interest to some.

In the interests of a fair and balanced review, I did have some log-in issues with Steam a few times, but they were solvable and it did not prevent me from playing games, merely accessing my profile and the Steam store.

If I had any other complaints it would be that prices are not always the cheapest on Steam and if you have a boxed version of a game some games may not allow you to just buy expansions from Steam (Steam will require the Steam version of the game - Civ 4 I know will). I'm really clutching at reasons though and I am sure FM will not suffer from the expansions concern.

You can also buy the boxed version of FM and install it via Steam, so the price issue matters not.

Steam is by no means a 'dodgy used car salesman'. Don't be scared to use it despite what many users on here will say.

Agreed :thup:. I bought the boxed version and linked and activated it through Steam. Absolutely no problems whatsoever with Steam and i would reccommend it. It also gives you the ability to auto patch meaning you have the latest patch and database without having to worry about anything.

The only thing that peeves me off about steam is how it automatically logs me in to my friends list every time I play Left 4 Dead. Does it not understand I'm anti social and don't want to talk to anyone on my list when I'm on a game?

No problem, i have no friends so thats that sorted :thup::(

The only thing that peeves me off about steam is how it automatically logs me in to my friends list every time I play Left 4 Dead. Does it not understand I'm anti social and don't want to talk to anyone on my list when I'm on a game?

File -> Settings -> Friends -> Automatically sign into Friends when I start Steam -> Untick

Problem solved :)

No problem, i have no friends so thats that sorted :thup::(

I kind of have to add mates from Uni on there, or they may not talk to me and then I'd have trouble with group work ;)

File -> Settings -> Friends -> Automatically sign into Friends when I start Steam -> Untick

Problem solved :)

It's been ticked every since I installed steam, but for some reason Left 4 Dead still insists on signing me in every time I join a server.

Archived