I should be a hero!

After an unsucesful 2/3 of a season with Leeds on my first year (yes, I suck), I decided to resign, leaving the team in 7th place of League 1. 6 days later, I gain promotion, I'm the new coach of Watford, who after 31 games find themselves in 24th place, 6 points away from salvation. Long story short, in 15 games I win 7, tie 3, and lose 5, saving Watford literally in the last minute of the season.

I expected to read headlines proclaiming me a genius and a hero, instead the headline reads "Lordt feeling the pressure", and my job confidence is only at stable, with the board thinking I should be doing slightly better. What the heck! I just saved you ingrates from relegation! I mean, I at the least expected to have a parade.

Anyways, that really disappointed me, should be looked at by SI...

Same sort of thing...just left Huddersfield in Division 1 in mid-table to join Crystal Palace in the Championship in 22nd place. A week after I arrived there were reports that I may get the sack and that pressure message.

This is one of the things that irritates me about SI... When they advertise their products with all the new features and enhancements they are essentially lying! What was meant to be a new feature in FM08 (Board Confidence) ended up being shambles... then they promise to fix the issue for FM09 (you think you give them 2 tries to get it right) and it still remains woefully inadequate...

There seems to be a problem alright regarding taking over relegation threatened clubs. I came in half way through a season to Hull, second from bottom with 11 point from 20 games. I proceeded to get them up to 35 points and save them from relegation with a final day win over Liverpool. But similar to the op the press always considered me, and the team, under pressure even though we were obviously over-performing.

I think that the board and fans should reassess their expectations when a new manager joins during the course of a season.

Also, I have noticed the fans saying they werent happy with you for signings made before you joined...

After an unsucesful 2/3 of a season with Leeds on my first year (yes, I suck), I decided to resign, leaving the team in 7th place of League 1. 6 days later, I gain promotion, I'm the new coach of Watford, who after 31 games find themselves in 24th place, 6 points away from salvation. Long story short, in 15 games I win 7, tie 3, and lose 5, saving Watford literally in the last minute of the season.

I expected to read headlines proclaiming me a genius and a hero, instead the headline reads "Lordt feeling the pressure", and my job confidence is only at stable, with the board thinking I should be doing slightly better. What the heck! I just saved you ingrates from relegation! I mean, I at the least expected to have a parade.

I bet the tea lady got all the praise and cudos :D

Look what happened to Avram Grant at Chelsea. Booted out the backdoor after finishing 2nd in Premiership and reaching two cup finals.

I think he was underated - Look at how Scolari is doing

Look at Spurs, Rednapp has got less points in the first 10 games than what Jol and Ramos did

When Spurs/Rednapp on a roll Rednapp quotes he has a superb squad. A few games later he says 3/4 are naff

Football is fickle, as are players, managers and chairmen

Look what happened to Avram Grant at Chelsea. Booted out the backdoor after finishing 2nd in Premiership and reaching two cup finals.

in all fairness he had a fully fit squad, some money to spend and didier drogba was playing for him! and i'm no chelsea lover.

oh and it's very ealry yet to write chelsea off, i certainly haven't

Regarding the "Saving a club from relegation" bit, I think the basic problem is that the board doesn't recalculate targets based on the new manager.

So, for example, if the previous manager promised them safe mid-table .. you were judged to have "underperformed" because you didn't deliver a safe mid-table position .. even though the position you left them in was much much better than what you inherited.

I dont know I sometime's think the media comments are a bit mixed up,in my 3rd season as QPR boss(2nd season in Premiership) after 2game's of the season I had won 1 at home and lost away,it came up on the screen "under fire QPR boss ****has signed***"

I checked the job status screen as this seemed very strange and I was listed as secure,never seen it since but couldnt understand the "under fire" bit.

I know it's a minor thing, but I managed to win the champions league with gateshead and i'm not even on their favoured personnel!

i'd count that as a fairly major thing! Everyone likes telling their mates etc about how well they are doing on FM so it is understandable that we would like a bit of in game praise as well! I think if you win promotion with a club (or take a team tipped to finish in the bottom 2 but keep them up), you should be quite quickly put on the favoured personnel list. If you do quite well with a club and have long service, you should become an icon and if you do anything close to what you manager with gateshead, you should most certainly be seen as a club legend!

Archived