The Official Sevilla thread for FM 2009: We're better than Barca and Real

sevilla.jpg

HISTORY

On October 15, 1905, the Civil Governor of Seville officially announced the creation of Sevilla F.C. The first president of the club was D. José Luis Gallegos. In 1890, the team played its first official game, and the first official game in Spain against Recreativo Huelva. In 1914, the team won its first Copa de Sevilla (Seville Cup). In 1935, Seville won the first of its Copa del Rey trophies, beating CE Sabadell 3-0. After the Spanish Civil War, Sevilla won the first Copa del Generalísimo (the second Spanish Cup win of the club), beating Racing de Ferrol by a score of 6-2.

The 1939-40 season also brought Sevilla very close to its first La Liga championship. The league had just returned to action after the Spanish Civil War, and Sevilla had some astounding games, beating FC Barcelona 11-1, Valencia CF 10-3 and Hércules CF 8-3. However, in the last game of the season, Sevilla could only manage to tie Hércules 3-3, thus giving the title to Atlético Aviación. In 1942-1943, Sevilla took second place in the league again but fell to third the next year. After a transitional year, in 1945-1946, Sevilla won its first and only La Liga title, due mainly to the mercurial talent (striker) Oliver Ward, who managed to notch up an impressive 29 goal tally. In 1948, Sevilla captured its last Copa del Rey for the next 59 years, defeating Celta Vigo 4-1 at Chamartin Stadium.

Sevilla opened up its new Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan stadium in 1958 with a draw vs Real Jaen (3-3).

In the sixties, Sevilla started a decline to mid-table and after the 1967/68 season, Sevilla was sent down to the Spanish second division but returned to the top flight a year later. After another a brief drop and return in the early seventies, Sevilla remained firmly in the middle of the table until the 1996/97, when the club was sent down again. Another return to La Liga was followed immediately by a last place finish in 1999/2000, in which Sevilla managed to scrape together only 28 points on the season.

Under new coach Joaquín Caparrós, Sevilla won the second division title in 2000/01. New team president José María del Nido brought fiscal order to Seville, selling its homegrown superstar José Antonio Reyes to Arsenal FC in January 2004 for a €25m (£10.5m) fee. In that season (03/04), not only did Sevilla reach the semifinals of the Copa del Rey after more than 20 years (where it fell 2-1 to Real Madrid), but the team managed to qualify for Europe by placing sixth in the league and earning a ticket for the 2004/2005 UEFA Cup.

Having finished 6th in the 2004-2005 season, Sevilla secured a place in the first round of the 2005-2006 UEFA Cup. After advancing through the first round and the group stage of competition, Seville beat Russian side FC Lokomotiv Moscow to advance to the round of 16. On March 9, Sevilla FC lost 1-0 to French club Lille OSC in the first leg of their home-and-away match, but on March 15, at home in Seville's 50th game in European competition, Sevilla won 2-0 to advance to the quarterfinals. In these matches, which took place against FC Zenit on March 30, and April 6, 2006, Sevilla won 5-2 on aggregate and advanced to the semifinals. In the semis, Seville knocked out the strong German side Schalke 04 after 180 goalless minutes, with Antonio Puerta scoring the decisive goal in the extra time of the return leg. That goal was called by the fans "el gol quenos cambió la vida"-"the goal that changed our lives", beacause thanks to it Sevilla FC team played their first European final. On May 10, 2006, in the 2006 UEFA Cup Final, Sevilla FC broke a 58 year drought on trophies and became the first Andalusian team to win a European final. Sevilla defeated Middlesbrough F.C. 4-0 in Eindhoven to win the their first UEFA Cup, in the largest UEFA victory in history. One goal came from Luis Fabiano, two from Enzo Maresca, and one by Frédéric Kanouté. At that time, Sevilla was the only European team which had played in the three major competitions (the European Cup, Cup Winner's Cup and UEFA Cup) and had never lost any game (out of 27) when playing on their home stadium until they lost to AZ Alkmaar in December 14th, 2006.

Having convincingly won the 2005-2006 UEFA Cup, Sevilla booked a place in 2006 UEFA Super Cup, a one-off game which pits the UEFA Cup winners and the Champions League winners of the previous year against one another. At the Stade Louis II in Monaco on August 25, 2006, Sevilla beat the Champions League title-holders and league champions FC Barcelona 3-0 - thanks an early goal by Brazilian Renato, a goal just before the half by Kanouté, and a penalty converted by Maresca in the second half stoppage time - to pick up its second European trophy (their second in three months).

Sevilla FC finished 5th in La Liga in the 2005-2006 season, and by virtue of this (and also by having won the competition the previous year), Sevilla qualified for the first round of the 2006-2007 UEFA Cup. Seville won that matchup against the Greek side Atromitos and proceeded into the group stage of the competition, where the Andalusian side finished second in the group of five. In the knockout stage that followed this, Sevilla emerged victorious against Steaua Bucharest, Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham Hotspur, and Osasuna to qualify for its second consecutive UEFA Cup final. Sevilla almost didn't survive the last 16 clash with Shaktar Donetsk, in which Sevilla's keeper Andrés Palop scored off a header in injury time to force extra-time against the Ukrainian side. Sevilla ended up winning the game, beating Shaktar 5-4 on aggregate. On May 16, 2007, in the final held in Glasgow, Scotland, Sevilla FC defeated fellow Spanish side RCD Espanyol on penalties (Reg. Time Score 2-2), for its second consecutive UEFA Cup title. Sevilla became only the second team to successfully defend the competition title, following Real Madrid, who achieved this feat in 1985 and 1986.

After almost sixty years without having raised a Spanish trophy, Sevilla won the 2006-2007 Copa Del Rey, beating Getafe 1-0 in the final. A Kanouté goal in the 12th minute was enough to end Getafe's surprising run in the Copa del Rey. Victory in the Copa del Rey qualified Sevilla for the 2007 Supercopa de España (Spanish Super Cup), a two-legged (home and away) final in which the winners of La Liga play the winners of the Copa del Rey. In August 2007, Sevilla played La Liga champions Real Madrid. Sevilla took a 1-0 lead from the home leg, played on August 12, 2007, and the teams played the return leg in Madrid the next week. Seville won this match 5-3, giving them a 6-3 aggregate victory -- the team's fifth trophy in 15 months.

THE SEVILLE DERBY

In 1909, disagreement among some majority of the board of directors led to a split from which the Betis team was born; later in 1914 Real Betis Balompié was founded from the union of Betis FC and Sevilla Balompié. The Betis was born from Sevilla Balompié.

On October 8, 1915, the first Sevilla-Betis derby took place, ending with a 4-3 Sevilla victory. The cross-town rivalry is considered one of the most violent and the most important derbies in Spain. As of the 2006/2007 season, 77 Sevilla derbies have been played in La Liga, of which Sevilla FC won 35, Real Betis won 26, and 16 ended in a draw.

During a quarterfinal match of the Copa del Rey on February 28, 2007, at Estadio Manuel Ruiz de Lopera, the game had to be suspended in the 60th minute due to a Betis aficionado throwing an object at former Sevilla manager Juande Ramos' head, subsequently knocking him out. Ramos had to be removed from the pitch on a stretcher and the Sevilla footballers abandoned the pitch in protest. Betis were condemned to their next 3 home matches being played in another venue by the Spanish Football Federation. Sevilla FC win the elminatory and later won the Copa del Rey in Madrid. (Sevilla FC 1-0 Getafe)

CLUB INFORMATION

Sevilla is an unusual football club. The club is owned by the fans, with the stocks distributed across a few major holders and a large base of fans. The club supports one of the most renowned training academies in the country, which has produced many famous players.

Sevilla FC has also promoted innovations such as a school of sport psychologists, who provide support for the younger as well as the professional players, and also more recently sports nutrition and medicine. Another recent success for Sevilla FC has been the establishment of its own radio station, "Sevilla FC Radio" (the first of its kind in Spain), their own local tv channel, "SFC TV", as well as other official media.

Sevilla FC's stadium is named after its former president Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán and has a spectator capacity of 45,500. The stadium is located in the neighborhood of Nervión. Sevilla's performance in La Liga in the last few seasons has led to an increase in the number of season ticket holders, making it necessary to create a waiting list for tickets.

The team wears white, with red-striped sleeves and black socks, for home games and red, with white-striped sleeves,for away games.

Some fans of the team (those who stand in of the north end of the stadium) call themselves Biris. They got their name from Alhaji Momodo Nije, who was nicknamed Biri-Biri. Alhaji, a Gambian player known for his intensity and mercurial nature, was so popular with the Sevilla fans that the most loyal fans named their cheering section (and thus, themselves) after him. Is the oldest football fan group of Spain too.

AFFILIATIONS

The clubs reserves Sevilla Atlético play in the Segunda Division. The club is also affiliated to Sevilla F.C a team in the Puerto Rico Soccer League.

TROPHIES

Before the Spanish national competitions started, Sevilla also won 17 Andalusian Championships, and were crowned twice as Champions of Sevilla.

La Liga (1): 1946

Copa del Rey (4): 1935, 1939, 1948, 2007

Spanish Super Cup (1): 2007

UEFA Cup (2): 2005-06, 2006-07

UEFA Super Cup (1): 2006

TEAM

No.

1 GK Andrés Palop

2 DF Javi Navarro (captain)

3 DF Ivica Dragutinović

4 DF Sébastien Squillaci

5 MF Aldo Duscher

6 MF Adriano

7 MF Jesús Navas

8 MF Enzo Maresca

9 FW Arouna Koné

10 FW Luís Fabiano

11 MF Renato

12 FW Frédéric Kanouté

13 GK Javi Varas

14 DF Julien Escudé

15 DF Aquivaldo Mosquera

16 DF David Prieto

17 MF Diego Capel

18 DF Fernando Navarro

19 FW Javier Chevantón

20 MF Tom De Mul

21 MF Lautaro Acosta

22 MF Koffi Ndri Romaric

23 DF Federico Fazio

24 DF Abdoulay Konko

26 DF José Ángel Crespo

28 FW Emiliano Armenteros

37 FW Teemu Pukki

BEST STARTING ELEVEN

GK- PALOP

DR- KONKO

DL- ADRIANO

DC- FAZIO

DC- SQUILLACI

MR- NAVAS

ML- CAPEL

MC- MARESCA

MC- RENATO

FW- KANOUTE

FW- L. FABIANO

AREAS THAT CAN BE IMPROVED

I would recommend that a new right-back be signed as Sevilla have still not properly compensated for the loss of Daniel Alves. A few signings are:

Davide Santon 1.2-1.5mill

Opare 200,000k

As well as this, the lack of any proper playmaker means lack of creativity and attacking flair in the side. To overcome this problem, I would recommend:

Andres D'Alessandro 4.2mill

Once these areas are improved, you have a potential top four team.

BUDGET

Continental qualification- 6mill transfer and 550k wages

Title challenge- 7.75mill transfer and 550k wages

Winner- 8.5mill transfer and 550k wages

Realistically, you can only be a title challenger at best. So I would recommend, if you were ambitious to choose that. Otherwise, if you feel uncomfortable with tactics etc its best to choose continental qualification.

KEY PLAYERS-

Do not at all costs sell:

fazio.jpg

Federico Fazio

fredi_kanoute.jpg

Freddy Kanoute

navas.jpg

Jesus Navas

These three players in particular for me have risen above the others. There are many more good players I do not recommend selling like Fabiano, Capel and Squillaci but the players I have highlighted are the best in the departments of defence, midfield and strike

SUMMARY

If you feel you have the courage to take up this great challenge to take Sevilla to the top then the job is yours. Manolo Jimenez who? With great players already there, only a few signings are needed to take this club to where it belongs.

So go on, enjoy the game.

A big thanks goes out to wikipedia as I got most of my information from it. And also to Sevilla Futbal club for being great

• 1 month later...

When you ask for more it goes up to 18m from about 7m which is good you can also ask for more wages. Not alot needs doing to the team either and you can easy sell some players to free up wage.

Not sure on the 2nd season as i have just started it and still in pre-season.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm full of useless information, why? Have you tried to expand it?

No, no. Just dont want start a new game just for it never to be able to. That's what annoyed me about my QPR game, after 5 seasons still stuck at 25k. Does it show in the data editor?

No, no. Just dont want start a new game just for it never to be able to. That's what annoyed me about my QPR game, after 5 seasons still stuck at 25k. Does it show in the data editor?

Yes, it should show you in the editor by how much a stadium can be expanded. Feel free to check if you don't believe me or are unsure. ;)

Yes, it should show you in the editor by how much a stadium can be expanded. Feel free to check if you don't believe me or are unsure. ;)

Oh I believe you mate :)

Where can I find to see how much it can be extended? sorry last question.

Oh I believe you mate :)

Where can I find to see how much it can be extended? sorry last question.

In the editor? You will need to go in the club section search for Sevilla, then click on Sevilla, click the stadium tab and on that page you should be able to click the Stadium name this will take you to a new page and on there it should say by how much the stadium can be expanded.

Let me know what it says. :thup:

In the editor? You will need to go in the club section search for Sevilla, then click on Sevilla, click the stadium tab and on that page you should be able to click the Stadium name this will take you to a new page and on there it should say by how much the stadium can be expanded.

Let me know what it says. :thup:

Says 65k like you said mate, nice one.. Sevilla it is for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok well i told the board i would aim to get a place in euro cup through a good league position. I started by selling off a few players to create funds to strengthen my squad, I brought i a few players.

Transfers

My board allocated my £18m in november to spend in the january transfer window and with fabiano recommending anderson i decided to bring him in for £18m.

Sitting 6th in january my best spell came in the second half of the season with a midfield of capel--ambrosini--anderson--navas/santon pulling the strings in midfield and kanoute upfront smashing the goals in. The bad part was fabiano made it heard he wanted to leave by missing training 4 times and not scoring in over 1000 minutes.

so heres the table and my squad for end of the season.

Table

Squad

Stats

Got knocked out of the spanish cup in the quarters by real madrid and had a poor game at home to galatasaray losing 1-0 and being knocked out of the euro cup.

This season i have a nice £30m to spend and will be looking to strengthen my back 4

i have already sold palop for a nice £9m and will be hopefully be bringing in a new keeper.

The main thing i have had to cope with is the constant hassle of other teams unsettling my players i have just had a £19m offer for capel but turned it down as he is one of my best players plus it was real madrid who wanted him.

Just kicked off my new season, After managing to hold onto most of my players through the transfer window and keep them happy i still lost three that i would have loved to keep.

Fabiano still wanted to go but with all the clubs declaring interest in him noone wanted to step forward and put a bid in that i was happy with until sunderland offered £11m and i quickly accepted, he agreed terms and off he went (still a bit confused as he claimed he wanted a new challenge:confused:)

Enzo maresca got unhappy when i demoted him from vice captain in place of fazio he asked to be transfer listed, Chelsea offered 3.5m and off he went and the final one that i didnt mind was acosta who was part of an exchange for Rossi.

But im happy with my squad with the arrivals of Asenjo, Zapata and Rossi (3 goals in two games) i feel i can push for 3rd maybe second this season.

Just kicked off my new season, After managing to hold onto most of my players through the transfer window and keep them happy i still lost three that i would have loved to keep.

Fabiano still wanted to go but with all the clubs declaring interest in him noone wanted to step forward and put a bid in that i was happy with until sunderland offered £11m and i quickly accepted, he agreed terms and off he went (still a bit confused as he claimed he wanted a new challenge:confused:)

Enzo maresca got unhappy when i demoted him from vice captain in place of fazio he asked to be transfer listed, Chelsea offered 3.5m and off he went and the final one that i didnt mind was acosta who was part of an exchange for Rossi.

But im happy with my squad with the arrivals of Asenjo, Zapata and Rossi (3 goals in two games) i feel i can push for 3rd maybe second this season.

sounds like your building great foundations to get to 3rd or push between the big 2 ! nice work :)

sounds like your building great foundations to get to 3rd or push between the big 2 ! nice work :)

Thanks mate.

I would keep Capel aswell got a lot of assists in my first season aswell as goal of the season,

Real Madrid tried with a £20m bid (as they did for most my team) but i managed to keep hold of him.

Also acosta played very well for me last season covering while navas was injured.

Anyone else playing as Sevilla? i would recommend it.

Also would like to know if people think i should replace my LB Navarro.

Thanks guys will have a look at them.

Edit: Still not quite sure on this foreign rule spain has and Taiwo is nigerian which will take my total upto 4, Will have to do a little research and find out what exactly the rule is.

Having a few scouts have a look at guillherme though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok end of the 2009/10 season and here is my results.

Table

Very pleased with my finish in the league, I was coming first all the way through till january and then loses to Real Madrid, Barcelona and Betis in a row saw me drop to 2nd where i stayed until end of season.

Squad

With Kanoute and Navas both out for the best part of the season Cruz, Albin and santon all filled in very well i went on a streak of 36 games in the league which i scored in.

The most dissapointing stat was the amount of goals i conceded almost twice as many as Real madrid and Barcelona, I bought a few youngsters and stuck them in my under 19's (which won the league 6 games before end) so the future looks quite good.

Transfers

All this seasons transfers were great this season, Rossi lead both the scoring and assists for the team. Asenjo played great and probably saved us from losing countless times.

Zapata played great too and him and fazio built up a pretty good partnership so im very optimistic about that for the future.

Also Ibon Pereda (regen) scored 12 in 12 games with an average rating to 7.86 for my under 19's.

My first season in the champions league went great, successfully negotiated my way through the group stages with a second placed finish to fiorentina (last years runners up schalke came third).

That set up a first knockout tie with liverpool the beat me 3-1 at home and i needed to score at least 3 at anfield to advance, so i went all out attack it ended up 4-1 to me with carragher getting sent off, That set up a tie with fiorentina who i had drew 0-0 with in both group games.

I won my home leg 2-1 and felt i could win the tie if i kept it tight away, They ended up demolishing me 3-0 away and we went out. (chelsea beat barcelona on penalties in the final)

Did well in the spanish cup reaching the semi finals going out to villareal 4-2 on aggregate.

Great, Good luck Clubgaz keep us updated :thup:

Ive just finished preseason and apart from a few under 19's going kept my squad roughly the same. Brought in a new left back Guillherme who jams recommended in an earlier post.

Not too happy with the amount of clubs declaring interest in my players and unsettling them, I think si will have to sort that out in the next version of the game as its just too much.

i've just signed on as the sevilla manager at the start of the second season having left benfica after winning everything there on offer first season. declared interest in the job and got it!

squad looks pretty much the same although they have kuzmanovic coming in when the summer window opens and they bought luisao from me for £9m in january at benfica, who i'm now selling for £18m due to a personal dislike because he left me midseason last season. :)

also selling kone(2.8), chevanton(5), duscher(2.5), vargas(400k), varas(900k), armentaros(1.6m) and dragutonovic(1.1m)

current budget is 13m and with 700k wage budget (current total is 640k) so clearing the space will help both quite some there.

not sure how i want to play just yet or how much i want to change things, i was planning to bring pablo aimar and javier saviola both who i had at benfica and performed blissfully well over here but that may be inconvenient. we'll see.

Archived