FM 2008 : Tottenham Hotspur - Home of The Spurs

Azeryk-

spursnz3.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur FC are a long-running traditional English football team who play in the English Premier League. They play at White Hart Lane in London and have recently forged a large, young, English squad for the upcoming season. They are commonly called the Spurs by their fans and have the motto "To dare is to do".

Founded: 1882

Ground: White Hart Lane

Address: Bill Nicholson Way, 748 High Road, Tottenham, London, N17 0AP

Capacity: 36236

Highest gate: 75,038 v Sunderland(FA Cup 6th Rd replay Mar 1938)

2007/2008: Competitions Barclays Premier League , UEFA Cup , Carling Cup , FA Cup

They have enjoyed a successful past becoming one of the more honored clubs in England:

Football League First Division / Premier League 1950-51, 1960-61

Football League Second Division

1919-20, 1949-50

FA Cup

1900-01, 1920-21, 1960-61, 1961-62, 1966-67, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1990-91

League Cup

o 1970-1, 1972-3, 1998-99

FA Community Shield

1920-21, 1951-52, 1961-62, 1962-63, 1967-68, 1981-82, 1991-92

UEFA Cup

1971-72, 1983-84

European Cup Winners' Cup

1962-63

Tottenham were the first club in the 20th century to achieve both the league and cup double, achieving this feat in the 1960-61 season. They also became the first British club to win a European trophy in 1963 when they brought home the European Cup Winners' Cup.

Squad:

Goalkeeper:

Radek Cerny

Paul Robinson

Defender:

Gareth Bale

Michael Dawson

Younes Kaboul

Pascal Chimbonda

Benoit Assou-Ekotto

Lee Young-Pyo

Paul Stalteri

Anthony Gardner

Ricardo Rocha

Midfielder:

Jermaine Jenas

Adel Taarabt

Tom Huddlestone

Wayne Routledge

Didier Zokora

Teemu Tainio

Attacking Midfielder:

Aaron Lennon

Steed Malbranque

Striker:

Darren Bent

Dimitar Berbatov

Jermain Defoe

Robbie Keane

You take over when the club celebrates it's 125th birthday - with expectatinos high it's up to you to bring success to a club which has been waiting many a year for the glory days to return.

Expectations: The club expect you to be a title challenger within 2 years.

Transfer Budget: £15M

Key Players: Ledley King, Aaron Lennon, Dimitar Berbatov

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Azeryk icon14.gif

You forgot Boateng in the Attacking midfielder though.

He's really good in the game as it happens & has been overrated by the German researchers I think.

I'm glad my pressure got SI to bump our transfer budget up, it was going to be 3.6m! icon_eek.gif

Tip for the new game.

The AMC position is crucial.

Originally posted by paulinho:

Well done Azeryk icon14.gif

You forgot Boateng in the Attacking midfielder though.

He's really good in the game as it happens & has been overrated by the German researchers I think.

I'm glad my pressure got SI to bump our transfer budget up, it was going to be 3.6m! icon_eek.gif

Tip for the new game.

The AMC position is crucial.

And the Man City formation 4-2-3-1 was working great for me in the beta demo.

Doesn't suit Spurs all that well though with our 4 strikers.

Still a 10m bid for Defoe from Pompey got accepted by Levy as too good to turn down so I only have to find a buyer for Keane.

Cheers Paulinho - You can do next years and we'll just rotate icon_wink.gif

I think the main thing with Spurs is to sell one of the strikers right away - very few people will need and be able to keep happy all four and I can see Defoe being the one to ship out. As with ghaly and Tainio.

Boateng looks good so far, am yet to play around with formations but I'll probably stick with 4-4-2 attacking to start with.

And I noticed I missed him, and that it doesn't look as good as expected but these forums don't let you edit your own posts icon_frown.gif

I didn't have any problems in FM07, I had 3 main strikers and struggled to keep the third one happy. Any other strikers I end up using are youth players who I don't mind playing from time to time anyways.

One thing that sucks with FM2008 is the amount of players who have moved clubs that I can no longer sign, or wign without spending my whole budget. Ruined my plans - LOL

Akinfeev is avilable BUT for £16.5M!!!

Guardado - I gave up at £18M

Aaron Niguez - Now £5M, I remember signing him on FM2007 for £160k

Originally posted by Azeryk-:

One thing that sucks with FM2008 is the amount of players who have moved clubs that I can no longer sign, or wign without spending my whole budget. Ruined my plans - LOL

Modric is quite expensive now too.

The position of DMC is a bit weak as neither Hudd or Zok are really good enough (bit like real life).

You could try Kaboul there if you want some steel (the French researchers have him down as a natural DMC).

Bargain of the game so far for me is Sergey Ignashevich from CSKA on a free.

He's a ridiculously good defender.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Azeryk-:

The position of DMC is a bit weak as neither Hudd or Zok are really good enough (bit like real life).

You could try Kaboul there if you want some steel (the French researchers have him down as a natural DMC).

He's a ridiculously good defender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is Huddlestone still going to turn out pretty good though like with FM07 or not far above average??

Main people I've looked at so far, along with estimated cost.

Javi Martinez (Athletic) - £16.5M relsease clause - looks good.

Matias Fernandez (Villarreal) - £13M - Gets conditional work permit in season 1.

Bruno Mezenga (Flamengo) - £1.9M - Labeled the next Adriano?

Breno (Sao Paulo) - £3.5-5M - Looks class at a young age.

Mario Balotelli (Inter) - £12-14M - Next Luca Toni and only 16. Could be worth it.

Jonathan Franks (Middlesborough) - £3M - Decent enough and English

Alex (Vasco) - £500K - Seems alright and you can't go wrong at that price.

Lucas Trecarichi (Sevilla C) - £FREE - Hard to get to leave, even for £40k / week wages. Looks amazing.

Michael Johnson (Man C) - Unknown - English but will he be world class?

Anyone got any experience with the above players so far??

And why does Giles Barnes cost £11.5M to leave Derby!!

Paulinho - I've got the same problem as in Fm07 with other clubs (smaller PREM ones) taking my coaches and scouts - any way to stop this?

Added - Balotelli will join clubs early on except he needs £12M+ offer AND rediculous wages.

Also - Aaron Niguez - worth it this time around?

Offer yth coaches new contracts change ass man and offer scout new contract at start.

Injuries to King Dawson and Lennon make start of season tricky. Kaboul looking good at DM and Modric plays well at LM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Azeryk-:

He's a ridiculously good defender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is Huddlestone still going to turn out pretty good though like with FM07 or not far above average?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't changed that much with him, still -9 potential, slow, I upped the long shots a bit.

Matias Fernandez (Villarreal) - £13M - Gets conditional work permit in season 1.

Mario Balotelli (Inter) - £12-14M - Next Luca Toni and only 16. Could be worth it.

Lucas Trecarichi (Sevilla C) - £FREE - Hard to get to leave, even for £40k / week wages. Looks amazing.

Matias Fernandez was great for me in the beta demo, left side or AMC, great set pieces.

Picked him up for 12m IIRC.

Paulinho - I've got the same problem as in Fm07 with other clubs (smaller PREM ones) taking my coaches and scouts - any way to stop this?

Added - Balotelli will join clubs early on except he needs £12M+ offer AND rediculous wages.

Also - Aaron Niguez - worth it this time around?

It's a known problem, when the other clubs come a sniffin' I've offered new contracts & haven't lost anyone yet.

Matias Fernandez was great for me in the beta demo, left side or AMC, great set pieces.

Picked him up for 12m IIRC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He done well on my mess around demo, am going to start proper now and see how well I can do. The first season only gives you enough for 1 big signing. It's whether to pick Akinfeev or Matias Fernandez though....

Always a pain at the start of a new game, as you dont have the cred or the cash to bring in world class coaches. I'm sure theres a gem or two out there though.

My main plan is to build a scouting network, the world over. Something akin to what Wenger has at Arsenal. Again, this will take an age to put together as you would need to have top notch scouts.

Not only top notch scouts but in FM2007 you needed retiring players to become scouts to get enough scouts to reach 80%+ coverage as the club had a limit of 8? scouts and the only way to get more is from retiring players.

I bought Akinfeev and am trying to sell Robinson and can't get £4M for him!

Plenty of offers for Chimbonda, Lazio offerred £7.35 m for Keane plus a £4.2m player in exchange but no wp.

Usually pick up 2 Fitness coaches change Suckling to a coach, training stars are then reasonable.

Compensation for lower league coaches and scouts are reasonable for someone with decent stats.

Selling players is still a problem even at a big discount.

Originally posted by urbanjunkie:

Robbo not decent in FM2008? Heard his stats were a tad over-rated, though tbf to him, his form has dipped badly over the past year but thats not to say he wont recover.

I had 2 attempts in Fm2007 and Akinfeev did a lot better than Robbo did, plus my scout rated him better this time so decided to take the plunge for the demo.

For myself, watching Richards, Shorey, Michael Johnson, Milner - the old crowd.

Freddy Guarin turned me down icon_frown.gif

Am watching Akinfeev, and seriously considering playing Kaboul in midfield alongside Boateng/Taarabt.

For me, we're still week on the wings. I play Jenas on the right, pending Lennon's return, but even with my traditional drive to ensure every player adds at least one additional position to their repertoire, I can tell that finding a left winger in season 1 is going to be a pain.

But then you should have enough cash to sign VDV, and all the problems go away icon_biggrin.gif

I have signed Diego Capel from Sevilla for left wing for 4m, looks good

also signed Ismael Aissati from PSV who can play on the left or the centre for 7.5m. 2.5 up front, 5 over 18 months. Didnt know it but hes turned into a wonderkid.

Theres the leftie problem solved. Also train Bale up there.

Sold Keane for 7m and Steed for 3.1 and Tainio for 2.5. None of them are needed.

Got Modric for 4m, Maduro for 6m

Boateng is doing well.

Originally posted by Majick:

For myself, watching Richards, Shorey, Michael Johnson, Milner - the old crowd.

Freddy Guarin turned me down icon_frown.gif

Am watching Akinfeev, and seriously considering playing Kaboul in midfield alongside Boateng/Taarabt.

For me, we're still week on the wings. I play Jenas on the right, pending Lennon's return, but even with my traditional drive to ensure every player adds at least one additional position to their repertoire, I can tell that finding a left winger in season 1 is going to be a pain.

But then you should have enough cash to sign VDV, and all the problems go away icon_biggrin.gif

Michael Johnson and Micah Richards will cost at least £25M EACH I'm afraid.

Guys, any tips on what coaches to go for at the start of the game? Or any other decent scouts?

Had the same problem with clubs offering contracts to coaches. Quite frustrating, but the demo is all about testing the game out before the 19th.

Offer Chis Ramsey a new contract as a coach (so he can train the 1st team squad as well as the yoof) as he's a 7 star coach in tactics.

Likewise John MacDermott for shooting.

Pincolini is 7 stars for Attacking,

Jon Dalzell is 7 stars for Strength & Aerobic.

I've hired John Philippe Durand as a scout.

Robbo not decent in FM2008? Heard his stats were a tad over-rated, though tbf to him, his form has dipped badly over the past year but thats not to say he wont recover.

I've reduced Robbo a tad but he should still be good enough for a season or two.

Originally posted by pravduggal:

Have started the demo

Play 4-2-3-1 at the moment. Won first league game away at the Barcoes 1-0 with Jenas getting the winner

Have picked up Maduro for 6m, Modric for 4m and thats it. Could do with another winger really.

That's the formation I'm using too.

Try Mika Aaritalo, I picked him up for 250k & he's got excellent technical stats & plays AML/R/ST & will probably retrain anywhere else in midfield.

Robbie Keane's worth hanging on to, retrain him at AMC he'll do well.

As I mentioned before Sergey Ignashevich from CSKA on a free is probably the must signing at the start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pravduggal:

Have started the demo

Play 4-2-3-1 at the moment. Won first league game away at the Barcoes 1-0 with Jenas getting the winner

Have picked up Maduro for 6m, Modric for 4m and thats it. Could do with another winger really.

Try Mika Aaritalo, I picked him up for 250k & he's got excellent technical stats & plays AML/R/ST & will probably retrain anywhere else in midfield.

As I mentioned before Sergey Ignashevich from CSKA on a free is probably the must signing at the start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4-2-3-1 isn't on the pre-loaded tactics list - WHat are the positions? I'll prob stick with my tried and tested 4-4-2 attacking but if that new one looks good will trial it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pravduggal:

Have started the demo

As I mentioned before Sergey Ignashevich from CSKA on a free is probably the must signing at the start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4-2-3-1 isn't on the pre-loaded tactics list - WHat are the positions? I'll prob stick with my tried and tested 4-4-2 attacking but if that new one looks good will trial it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it's not & it should be as it's a popular tactic (Man City are using that with good success in the Prem right now).

The question is whether to position your MC's on the DM or MC line.

I've currently got them on the MC line with one on a lower mentality, no forward runs & barrowed.

BTW Mika Aaritalo is looking good 2 in 2, not bad for 250k!

Gave that a go and beat Birmingham 2-0 :-) I put the MC on the midfield line for this match; not the DMC line.

Akinfeev is doing brilliantly and has already won over the fans.

Matias Fernandez is doing alright, 2 goals so far in 6 games; but the fans seem to dislike him cos of his price tag so far.

What other young (21 or under) left midfielders are available and going to be world class. Marcelo and Guardado were the main ones from FM2007 and they are a lot harder to get now.

As you cannot complete a season Robbo may improve but certainly appears below par compared with FM07.

Played my std 442 and finished 3rd but so far behind MU and Chelski despite a good unbeaten run at end.

MU appear too good to be true!

The AMC is also too good to be true but it appears a barrow on the DM can nullify this threat.

Originally posted by knap:

As you cannot complete a season Robbo may improve but certainly appears below par compared with FM07.

Played my std 442 and finished 3rd but so far behind MU and Chelski despite a good unbeaten run at end.

MU appear too good to be true!

The AMC is also too good to be true but it appears a barrow on the DM can nullify this threat.

As I said I haven't reduced Robbo by that much but if he's not very good then that's true to real life (sadly).

The teams are all rated with strict guidelines according to where they finished last season.

So ManU being really good would make sense.

Personally I hope the game makes it nigh on impossible to win the League 1st season with Spurs, we want something realistic after all, dont we?

Players bought:

van der Vaart - £11.75M

Sergey Ignashevich - Free

Mika Aaritalo - £450K

Tomas - Sivok - £5M

Chimbonda is on his way to Palermo for £4.1M (if he accepts their contract).

Just wondering what everyone is doing with Berbatov, Keane, Defoe and Bent.

Looking at the long term - who is worth selling for extra transfer funds?

Also, looking to offload Zokora.

Players bought:

van der Vaart - £11.75M

Sergey Ignashevich - Free

Mika Aaritalo - £450K

Tomas - Sivok - £5M

Chimbonda is on his way to Palermo for £4.1M (if he accepts their contract).

Just wondering what everyone is doing with Berbatov, Keane, Defoe and Bent.

Looking at the long term - who is worth selling for extra transfer funds?

Also, looking to offload Zokora.

I think I should have gone for Sivok too but I've got the other 3.

You did really well to get VDV for that price.

Who you going to replace Chimbonda with? I think he's pretty good on FM.

I got rid of Zokora to Parma.

I sold Defoe to Pompey too, Levy goes in above your head & accepts any offer in excess of 7m I think you'll find.

Keane I've kept as he can be useful in the AMC position.

Basically, I've started my second save game. My previous one only lasted about 10 league games. TBH, I was playing it a little half-arsed and made schoolboy errors with losing coaching staff, etc.

What I did notice was that Chimbonda is always a target, and quickly becomes unhappy - hence the reason I'm seeing how much I can get for him.

Defoe wasn't bidded on in my previous save game, and not on this one either, though I'm one game into the season.

I'm gonna play about 10-15 games and report back on form and tactics.

One question I do have is is - if I continue with my saved game when FM is released on the 19th - do I lose out re: database?

Staring a new game on FM gives you the choice of nations etc and max player database - and I've forgotten completely if those options are available when continuing from a demo save game.

van der Vaart - £11.75M

You did really well to get VDV for that price.

In my first save game, I got him for £13.5M.

Love the way you can meet half-way, and in my second save game, I stitched them up IMO, by always bidding less than they wanted.

greeetings icon_smile.gif

im about to play me first leauge game.

friendlies have been ok. but gets so many offside goals its starting to get on me nerves icon_rolleyes.gif

bought in :

Felipe 3.5mil

belluschi 7mil

ponzio 3.5mil

Mika A 100k

Doudin 375k

Ignashevich free

Capel loan

and only out Defoe for 7 mil

trying a 3-5-2 with same mentality for all players.

i´ll be back icon_cool.gif

Very disappointing. Means that this will happen in all games. Oh well....Kompany (and vanden borre) are players I always use to pick. Looks like I'll have to find 'new legends' in this game, though signing vdV so easily on two occasions cant be over-looked.

Archived