FM 2009: A.S. Roma: La Magica

the--dud

Roma, one of the dominating teams in Serie A is a good challenge. Try to make them the absolutely best team in Europe. Improve their squade even further and dominate Serie A.

City of Rome:

2ecp36g.jpg

Rome is the capital city of Italy and is Italy's largest and most populous city, with 2,705,317 residents. It is located in the central-western portion of the Italian peninsula, on the Tiber river. Rome's history as a city spans over two and a half thousand years, as one of the founding cities of Western Civilization. Today, Rome is a modern, cosmopolitan city, and the third most-visited tourist destination in the European Union. Due to its influence in politics, media, the arts and culture, Rome has been described as a global city.

A.S. Roma:

29m6e1c.jpg

Full name: Associazione Sportiva Roma SpA

Nickname(s): i Giallorossi (the Yellow-reds), La Magica (The Magic), i Lupi (the Wolves)

Founded: July 22, 1927

Ground: Stadio Olimpico, Rome, Italy (Capacity: 72,700)

Chairman: Rosella Sensi

Head Coach: Luciano SPalletti

League: 2007–08 Serie A, 2nd

A.S. Roma is an Italian professional football club from Rome, and are currently amongst the most elite clubs of Europe. Founded by a merger in 1927, Roma have participated at the top-tier of Italian football for all of their existence bar one season in the early 1950s.

Roma returned to form in the 2000s, starting the decade in great style by winning their third ever Serie A title in 2000–01; the scudetto was won on the last day of the season by beating Parma 3–1, edging out Juventus by two points. The club's captain, Francesco Totti was a large reason for the title victory and he would become one of the main heroes in the club's history

Home games are played at the Stadio Olimpico, a stadium they share with rivals SS Lazio. With a capacity of over 72,700 it is the second largest of its kind in Italy, with only the San Siro able to seat more. Currently A.S. Roma are the Coppa Italia holders in Italian football.

Squad:

It's a perhaps a complete squad, full of stars and hidden gems. Loads of youngsters getting ready to go, and some amazing experienced players.

Goalkeepers

GK - Alexander Doni*

GK - Júlio Sérgio

GK - Pietro Pipolo

GK - Arthur Moraes

Defenders

D/WB L - John Arne Riise

D/WB L - Max Tonetto

DC - Philippe Mexès*

DC - Juan

DRC - Christian Panucci

DR - Marco Cassetti

DR - Cicinho

Midfielders

DMC/MC - David Pizarro

DMC/MC - Daniele De Rossi*

DMC/MC - Matteo Brighi

MC - Valerio Virga

MC/AMC - Alberto Aquilani^

ML/AML - Simone Perrotta

MR/AMR - Rodrigo Taddei

Forwards

AMRLC/ST - Jérémy Menez^

ST - Mirko Vučinić

ST - Francesco Totti*

ST - Stefano Okaka Chuka

ST - Vincenzo Montella

FC - Júlio Baptista

The players marked with ^ are promising and capable youngster, the ones with * are important and established players. In my opinion of course...

Players out: (not complete list)

CB - Matteo Ferrari (contract expired)

MC - Ahmed Apimah Barusso (loan Siena)

MC - Ludovic Giuly (to Paris Saint Germain)

ST - Mancini (FC Internazionale)

ST - Mauro Esposito (loan A.C. Chievo Verona)

Roma has not lost any of their stars, but has brought in a number of quality players. Perhaps the biggest lost was arguably Mancini, but there are better midfielders around.

State of Affairs

A very good and strong squad! Amazing strikers, Totti should still be able to bang them in for a year or two. Menez is perhaps the ace of your very talented midfield, but you also have other gems such as Aquilani and De Rossi.

Roma is a team that should able to challenge for Serie A first season, and also Champions League.

You might want to strengthen the squad with a world-class goalkeeper. A new CB would not hurt. Your midfield is packed with talent so that won't be a priority! You could get a young and talented striker to step up when Totti gets too old.

Best Established Player

98ypg8.jpg

Francesco Totti - ST

Francesco Totti, born September 27, 1976 in Rome, is a World Cup-winning footballer who plays for Italian club A.S. Roma. His position is that of a striker or an attacking midfielder, though he is best known for playing as a second striker. Totti, who has spent his entire career at Roma, is the number one goalscorer and the most capped player in club history. He is generally considered one of the best footballers of his generation. Pelé named Totti in the FIFA 100, a list of the 125 greatest living footballers selected by Pelé as a part of FIFA's centenary celebrations.

Totti should still be able to cut it for a season or two, and if he gets over the hill he is dead certain to join your as a valuable backroom staff. He's a legendary goal-machine and captain of A.S. Roma

Best Young Player

5kj7v8.jpg

Jérémy Menez - AMRLC/ST

Jérémy Menez (born May 7, 1987 in Longjumeau) is a French football player who currently plays for AS Roma after moving from AS Monaco. Able to ply his trade as a playmaker as well as a winger, he is noted for being the youngest ever scorer of a hat trick in Ligue 1, the youngest ever winner of Ligue 1's Player of the Month award and has sometimes been compared to Zinedine Zidane. Despite the nature of his position on the field he is more known for his dribbling and pace than his passing.

This guy was a FM08 bargain buy, but not so much after moving to Rome. He's extremely talented and should definentely be used to his full advantage. Should be able to score many many goals for Roma, but also extremely useful as an attacking midfielder.

Misc...::

I'm at work, so I can't guarantee ALL information to be 100% accurate, but I will proof-read everything as soon as I can.

As always, any comments/corrections/feedback more than welcome, don't hesitate to get involved!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always liked Marseille so aye, might do them...

Never really like PSV, dunno why, perhaps because of the nuts hooligans :p Might do another Dutch team...

Update: Actually... Looking at PSV's squad on wikipedia it might be tempting..... Affelay, Dzsudzsák, Isaksson, Salcido, Reimond Manco (amazingly talented Peruvian, must have an incredible PA!)... Hmm ;)

I enjoy doing team threads too dud! I think I might do a PSV one.

Great OP :D

That's cool, I might do the Marseilles one mate. Just promise to write good stuff about all the amazing youth at PSV and I'll let you do it! :p

you thinking of doing a spanish team like valencia?

Yeh, I was thinking about Valencia to be honest because I had a really good run with them on FM08... I also like Valencia because John Carew used to play for them, and being Norwegian myself I really like him as a player.

If I get the time, I might do one for every team Carew's played for (Valencia included of course) ;)

What I would like, if any one has requests for teams I should do: Could whoever requests it please take care of the thread and keep it alive/answer posts, and obviously play with the team in question and actively post useful stuff etc?

i started a save with roma, i find the game alot tougher this year, teams tend to be more inconsistent, I kept the team pretty much the same in the summer because of the wage problems. However in the winter market i bought van der vaart who was unhappy and transfer listed got him for 7.5m euros. I topped the champs league group with arsenal, celtic, and shakatar, and face off with marsielle soon. im lying in 4th 10 points back from inter in serie A

Loving life at roma. 3 points behind league leaders juve (64) after 28 games played. 2 points in front of Ac Milan (58) who lie in 3rd. Brought in Saivet from bordeaux (£3.9M) at the start of the season. And in jan i brought in Oscar Cardozo (£7.75M) Fausto Rossi from Juventus (£1.9M) and Federico Fazio from sevilla (£16.75M). Sold Vucinic to Real Madrid (£25M) and pizarro to porto (£10M) in jan.

So I ended up buying Diarra, Asenjo and Vukcevic :D

I know I know, I should have bought defenders.. :p

But I sure am happy to sign them.. All of them doing amazing jobs.

Asenjo clean sheet first 5 games (including inter, juve, milan & at. madrid!) (I'm 6 games far [without the friendlies offcourse])

Diarra very solid!

Vukcevic.. Serious.. scores every game for me, its sick :)

• 2 weeks later...

How are Roma overrated? De Rossi especially is easily worth £40m given his ability and closeness to the club.

Anyway started as Roma and managed to sell Aquilani to Arsenal for £32m, Baptista to Chelsea for £25m, Taddei to Chelsea for £10m, Pizarro to Man City for £15m, Juan to Barca for £14m and Perrotta to Tottenham for £8m. All in all pretty good going I thought.

Bought in De La Red from Real for £4.6m, Gustavo Cabral for £5m, Leandro Fernandez £5m, Elder Granja £1.9m, Francesco Bolzoni £8m, Gabriele Paonessa £1.5m and Pedro Leon £1.5m.

Team overall looks reasonable and trying to find some top young talent for the future with plenty of money still available but the wage budget is quite tight. Hopefully when the loans are gone that situation will improve, beat Inter at San Siro 3-2 in the Supercup quite luckily but I'm only going for a title challenge.

I started a game with Roma and am in January of the first season. At the start I bought in Vela on loan from Arsenal and Davids on a free. In the January transfer window I have accepted a 24m offe for Vucinic so need to relace him with another striker, any ideas?

Have been looking at Fabio Quagliarella of Udinese. I know he isn't an out-and-out striker but he does look a decent player and is Italian. Anyone had any experience?

@cas46...cant believe you sold those players! Aquilani is outstanding i wouldnt sell him for £50m. Pizarro has often been Roma's leading scorer on my games, Taddei is very very good too. And because of Perotta's off the ball, and other mental attributes, he gets into some great positions and scores really good goals.

Hi guys ,

Playing with Roma and using the basic 4-2-3-1 from the game ..just with some minor tweeking

I would love some assistance and thoughts on where I can further make some amendments in order to get the most benefits from the tactic --was thinking of switching to a 4-4-2 after a rash of injury problems ...BUT i decided not to ...

So I am staying with it and would like your input ..whether that is: Team instructions-Player Instructions -Trying different players in certain positions etc etc

At the moment I am not getting a lot of penetration into the opposition area ..and shots are very limited --

My a** Man has not complained about any gaps between defence Or Midfield etc ..So the mentalities might be okay ...HE IS pestering at using a more direct method of passing however.

The 1st set of 2 images below --are basically the same ..i have also used 2 backword arrows for De Rossi & Pizarro --Team instructions are the same --If you think the players should have certain specialized instructions ..by all means please let me know.

Roma1.jpg

Roma2.jpg

The next set of 2 images are again the 4-2-3-1 just in the team instructions -I have them use the target man in this case Vucinic.

Roma4.jpg

Roma4A.jpg

In both set of images of the 3 AMC's only Totti has mentality as Attcking -

Both Menez and Baptista have there's as Normal 2 clicks more to the right from the centre --

Actually Totti's and Vucinics' mentality is exactly the same

Also just noticed that mentalities for both De Rossi and Pizarro are 3 clicks more to the right from centre AND Baptista /Menez are 2 clicks from centre to the right --SO I seem to have screwed up on this.

I will change it around reverse the mentalities of the players --

But still your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated ..and if you see players that are not in the starting 11 that might be more efficient please let me know...

Don't know the players that well so I am going with what my assistant is recommending as well.

Cheers guys and thanks

Alexander, you should really play Cicinho at RB instead of Panucci, he gets quite a few assists. To help getting more ball in good positions, i would give the central AM (Totti) free role, full creative freedom and make him playmaker; also take away his forward runs so he can really pull the string from the edge of the area.

Onto my game. I am just about to start my second season in charge of AS Roma. I had a decent first season where i won the Italian cup and finished 3rd in the league behind inter and fiorentina. However it could have been sooooo much more. I had a chance of finishing top going into the last game of the season but it was unlikely with inter and fiorentina above me. However the second last game was the real crunch game with me away to fiorentina, and despite dominating i only managed a 1-1 draw :( Also i reached the Semi finals of the champions cup where i got beaten by Sporting. I lost the first leg away 3-2 so was quite hopeful of my chances at home. However i could only get a 0-0 draw, after REALLY dominating them :( so it was very much a nearly season.

The only signing i brought in was Mata for very little at the beginning, and then Sakho for £10m in Jan.

Totti and Menez were by fa the stand out performers for me all season (goals and assists a plenty)

Im really positive about my second season though as ive put together a team that i think will be serious contenders

my.php?image=roma09teamvq0.jpg

and heres the transfers ive brought in

my.php?image=roma09transferif4.jpg

@Oli90

thanks for the insight --I moticed your positioning ..and I am going to open up and play with two wingers just like your setup -- I am going to rotate between Baptista & Totti in the AMC position --just had a few games and Totti is my top scorer even though it is early in the season ...I won the SuperCoppa against Inter 3-1 with goals from Totti(2) & DeRossi -- The kicker again was the shots only 8 shots 4 found the target and 3 goals ..Yeah capitalized on what was available ..Inter on the other hand didn't dominate that much ..I wasn't really worried ... they had 12 shots 6 found the target with 1 goal

With your advice hopefully I can get more penetration on the opposing defence ...I have a string of 5 games with let's say low to mid table contenders ..SO this is ideal to tweek and find something that flows well.

Thanks and Best of Luck ...Bring the title to Olimpico

@deejay10, Aquilani got injured for 2 months pre season and I just know he'll be like that all the time with his injury proneness so £32m for Roma I thought was a good deal, also selling those guys frees up a lot of wages which is good for Roma, I got some good youngsters, I think I have an Arsene Wenger like obsession with them. Anyway De La Red plays with De Rossi in CM now and he is pretty good, especially when I only paid £4.6m for him.

Anyway end of the first season and and we won the league which was a surprise, only lost two games both to Inter 1-0 and then they knocked us out of the CL Quarter Final on penalties which was frustrating. Still I've been able to strengthen the squad in the summer, sold Pedro Leon to Atletico for £2.8m because he was rubbish. Managed to bring in Alex Teixeira (£9m), Marquinhos (£12m), Anderson Martins (£8m) and Gignac (£13m). I'm keeping Andreolli, Antunes and Cerci who all came back from loan and my under 20's team looks awesome now. 2 Italian CMs improving well from last year and 2 Spanish wingers signed this summer look great prospects, also in my intake of new youth players had a guy called Peter Bergamaschi who frankly looks like being and absolute goal machine for when Totti is too old, I'll upload a screenshot if I can work it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Sakho... everyone buys Sakho these days... I was doing it before it was cool.

What's with all the youth players at Roma? With the exception of some of the on-loan players, none of them worthy of Serie C1/B. Is this true to life? I feel like I need to sell off the entire under 20s and bring in some cheap young talent myself.

dindle: My Roma game got corrupted which was a bastard but after a season or two Roma tend to get some damn good regens anyway, and keep Antunes, hes a world class attacking fb when you get him back.

Don't know about Aquilani, I sold him to Arsenal for 32m and got De La Red instead for about 4m.

Baptista for me has been amazing up front alone scored something like 25 in 23 games last season and with Totti in the AMC role providing many assists and scoring important goals has been very impressive.

I tend to play with a 4-2-3-1 as follows:

Doni (Agreed to sign Asenjo for this season)

Criscito (£2.2mill agreed in 1st season) Mexes Juan Cicinho

De Rossi Aquilani

Vucinic (Been pretty amazing on the left cutting in) Totti Menez/Taddei

Baptista

Starting 4th season with my Roma team.

1st season - Won Seria A, Out 1\4 Cup, Runner up champions league.

2nd season - 3rd place Seria A(Inter won), Won Cup, Out 1\4 champions league.

3rd season - 3rd place Seria A(Fiorentina!! won, Udinese came in second with same amount of points as Roma), Out 1\2 Cup, Out 1\4 champions league.

As you see, I can't seem to be able to make the jump from really, really good to world beaters.

Not many players left from the original team. Also those that did stay play key roles (mexes-world class dc, aquilani\de rossi - world class MCa and MCd, totti - key backup :p).

I am in preseason now, still have approximately 98m$ to spend.

The squad right now is:

GK: Akinfeev\ Fiorillo

DL: Razin(Belarussian wonderkid, regen)\ Riise\ Betao

DC: Mexes\ Betao

DC:Pyugrenier\ Potenza

DR: Santon\ Cicinho

MCa:Aquilani\ Zanetti

MCd:De Rossi\ Perrotta

AML: Mata\ Menez

AMR: Sanchez\ Saivet

FC: Vela\Keirrison

FC: Milevskiy\Totti

Just sold Vucinic to Man City for 35,5+clauses (Inter wanted him for 52 but I declined, didn't want to strengthen one of my main rivals).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived