FM10 Wigan Athletic Thread - Empty Seatss!

Ytee18

Welcome to the Wigan Athletic Thread

badge.jpg

Background Info

Wigan Athletic Football Club is a professional football team based in Wigan, Greater Manchester. They compete in the Premier League, in which they have been playing since their promotion from the Football League in 2005. Wigan's current spell in the Premier League is the only top flight run in the club's history.

They have played at the DW Stadium since 1999, which they now own. They previously played at Springfield Park for 67 years. As of the 2009–10 season, Wigan Athletic were the youngest club in the Premier League, having only been formed in 1932.

wiganinfo.jpg

Squad Analysis

1 GK Chris Kirkland

3 DF Erik Edman

4 DF Antonio Amaya

5 DF Cho Won-Hee

6 MF Hendry Thomas

7 MF Paul Scharner

8 MF Ben Watson

9 FW Jason Scotland

10 MF Jason Koumas

12 GK Mike Pollitt

14 MF Charles N'Zogbia

15 MF Jordi Gómez

16 FW Scott Sinclair (on loan from Chelsea)

17 DF Emmerson Boyce

18 MF Daniël de Ridder

19 DF Titus Bramble

20 FW Hugo Rodallega

21 MF Tomasz Cywka

22 GK Richard Kingson

23 FW Olivier Kapo

24 MF James McCarthy

25 DF Mario Melchiot

26 MF Rachid Bouaouzan

27 MF Mohamed Diamé

28 MF Tomasz Kupisz

31 DF Maynor Figueroa

38 MF Jonathan Routledge

40 MF Joe Holt

43 MF Callum McManaman

Goalkeepers- With Kirkland, you have a solid number one. You may need to sign a younger back up as both Pollitt and Kingson are getting old. Both can provide adequate cover first year, but need replacing

Full Backs- No need to sign a number one left back as Figueroa is one of the most underrated players in the game. You may again need to sign a younger right back as Melchiot is getting on a bit, and the next cover is either Boyce, natural centre back, or Cho Won-Hee, a natural midfielder. Definate right back needed.

Centre Backs- A strong point in the side. Bramble, Scharner and Boyce are all good centre backs at this level. None are outstanding so you could buy a quality one to compliment them. No cause for concern here though.

Wingers- A right midfielder is needed as the only real winger with potential is Scott Sinclair, who is not good enough for a starting place in my own opinion. Look to sell De Ridder and Bouaouzan to raise funds. Back up left winger for N'Zogbia would be useful.

Centre Midfielders- Two decent defensive midfielders in Diame and Hendry Thomas which can be good in that role, Cho Won-Hee provides back up. Jordi Gomez is decent attacking midfielder and James McCarthy is a great prospect. If you want instant success instead of waiting for McCarthy to develop, purchase an attacking midfielder.

Forwards- A definate place to strengthen as the only proven goalscorer at this level is Rodallega. Jason Scotland again can provide decent back up but isn't going to set the Premiership alight. Make signing a striker a priority.

Conclusion

If you want a challenge that can be both enjoyable and hard at the same time, then Wigan is the team to be. Can you raise them to Domestic or European glory?

Good Luck :thup:

great opening post mate.. especially like the mccarthy and jordi gomez bit lol :D

but no.. great post... and i cant believe there hasnt been a thread for wigan until now.. great challenge imo

ive played half a season at most with them where i was 6th at christmas... not bad

titus bramble .. he's immense at the back as a limited defender or even dare i say, a ball playing defender ..

and with melchiot, boyce and edman in front of kirkland , who's a top keeper, you have got an awesome defence to build from the back with.

sales wise id get rid of

n'zogbia, he's not good enough and can get at least a good 3 million

scharner, again , he can fetch a good 5-6 mil standard.. but he is a great dmc when needed so its a personal choice really..

koumas is another one thats sale fodder.

as of 10.2 rodellega is a decent striker and will cause trouble for the defences in the prem even though he doesnt look it... and dont underestimate scotland... he is two footed and has deadly composure and strength... will be easily good enough to start imo.

with hendry, jordi gomez, mccarthy i feel its best to play a 3 man midfield unless you can bring in two top wingers and backups aswell.

with the money i got from sales id look to bring in another striker to help out the attack.. look at the likes of

kikin fonseca

vuoso

yssouf kone

jack tuyp

and possibly another few talents in midfield

leandro augusto

annan

juan manuel torres

jeparov

I've only started a save with Wigan not gone on with it though my intention was to do one of these, but I've now been side tracked by my NSW project.

I'd suggest bringing back David Hamilton as a scout, 20k from Walsall with top ratings for JPA & JPP.

Struggling at the moment with Wigan. 15th place finish which resulted in low transfer funds next season but still tinkering with tatics. Hard to get a grasp. Transfer deals in second season.

IN

Jo - Loan

Julio Cruz - Free

Robert Pires - Free

Tony Hibbert - £1.6m

Guido Marilungo - Loan

Asier Del Herno - £625k

Stephan El Shaawary - £7.25m

OUTS

Charles N'Zogbia - £8m

Jason Scotland - £725k

Playing 4-4-2 and 14th in December but hoping to hit form soon as.

i started a game off with wigan on the default patch and i was suprised when i signed david beckham and RONALDO (the real one not the puff from portugal) and buy end off the season i had liverpool and chelsea going for ronaldo because he had an awsome season help me finish 6th for uefa cup and f.a. cup winners.

yea i snapped up the fat ronaldo 1.5 million cant argue 9 goals in 16 games in the league alongside rodallega he always injured though!!i sold a few melchiot etc mccarthy cruciate ligament so out for 9 months!!also snapped up sandro to bolster the midfield 13.5 million overall fee!!he's immense and only 20 too!! starting 11 goes

Kirkland

Boyce - full back support

Scharner - default (fans favorite beast at centre half sevilla and valencia sniffin round after 3 months into the game)

Bramble - default

Figueroa - full back support

Koumas- wide mid attack

Sandro- ball winning midfielder

J.Gomez - advanced playmaker support

Insomnia(N Zogbia)- Wide mid attack

Ronaldo- (Deep lying forward)

Rodallega- (Advanced forward)

having a great season so far currently in 6th after 17 games so should make europe if i can get another centre forward in on loan or cheap buy if can raise some funds!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i think i get why nobody plays as wigan its pretty hard. imo you start with only four players whos are good enough for the premership and their had to keep. kirkland figueroa n'zogbia and rodalega. i'm not having the best of seasons. out of both cups and i'm sitting 12th in the league. i'm hoping for a top ten finish and if i can keep at europe in 3seasons.

midpointwigan.th.jpg

transofar.th.jpg

i'm hoping to get VDV into replace n'zogbia and i hope the combo of him rods and borriello will work well in the 442 diamond i'm using. my team is so inconsistant, we can goto chelsea and man city and draw beat teams like everton and fulham easy and get destroyed by arsenal and wolves. most games are a strugle and really tight.

end of 1st season

wigantable1.th.jpg

transferwigan.th.jpg

Pretty average season, finishing 8th in the league was ok got nocked out of both cups in the first round. borriello was a good loan signing got me 19goals before he broke his leg with 10ish games to go so i reckon he could of easily got me 25goals which would be a great return for 900k. mares is without doubt one of the best signings ive made he's been one of my top performers all year.

hopefully next season i can win a cup or get into europe need to improve alot of areas of the team. definatley need a better back 4 a new striker and a new left winger. cb's are my priority and numbers upfront i want try get rid of alot of deadwood aswell. players like scotland thomas diame and all the cb's

Eighth place is a good season macsoz, congrats! :thup:

cheers although i think doing better will be a real challenge. hopefully a few guys will start playing as wigan or ill be making alot of posts just for me.

start of the second season is going great won both my opening games 4-1(birmingham away blackburn home) and i'm sitting top after two games. so things could be looking up. i'm also getting a stadium updgrade with another 7500seats so i think thats me upto 3500 seats.

wt2k.th.jpg

getting 7mil for moses was great i think the new HG rules helped me out there.

starting 11 is...

GK carrizo/kirkland

DL figueroa

DC cathcart/boyce

DC bramble

DR naughton/opare

DM annan

LM richardson/j.rodregeuz(sp)

RM acosta/mares

AMC riqueleme

ST rodallega

ST tafer/hassli

ive just lost cathcart for 3 months and naughton & richardson are injured so havn't started yet and i'm still figuring out if i prefer acosta or mares at rm and who to partner with rodallega i'm also unsure on who start in goals.

thought it was good business. i never thought they'd bid 7mil and i decided i didn't need two unhappy strikers plus i bought quaresma with the money. so ive now got a solid midfield of richardson annan riquleme quaresma.

edit: i'm sitting 5th with 16games played, europe hopefully the champs league is on the cards for next season. ive had some great and wierd results. like i beat man utd at home 4-2 and liverpool 3-1 away but ive lost to wolves 3-0 at home, 5-1 away at spurs and 3-1 agaisnt newcastle at home. really should be beating wolves and newcastle.

season2 update

season went well although ultimatley ended up in disapointment and i missed out on 4th place on goal difference having lost 2 of my last 3 games. went one round further in the league cup and got to the 6th round(1/4finals) of the fa cup and got put out by liverpool after a replay.

LEAGUE

wigantable2.th.jpg

TRANSFERS

wendt2.th.jpg

don't have any money to buy players and had the club pretty much in the red all season. so i'm going to have to sell to bring in new players. i have to improve defensivly so ive started buy selling carrizo for 7.75mil. 5mil profit is good enough. however i'm getting another staduim expansion which will take me upto 40000 seats which is good and alot better than a 25000seater stadium.

most of the players i brought in where dispointing for me only riquleme and quaresma had really good seasons. i think it was a year to soon for tafer hope to loan him back in for season 3 as i couldn't afford the 7m future fee.

Fifth place is pretty damn good. :thup:

i managed 4th in 2012 playing the 4-2-2-2 formation it's an amazing tactic. also beat barca home and away in champions league 2-0 both times got totally outplayed both games though!!

cheers hopey, it's still a disapointing 5th tho

i managed 4th in 2012 playing the 4-2-2-2 formation it's an amazing tactic. also beat barca home and away in champions league 2-0 both times got totally outplayed both games though!!

what one did you use, did you make any tweaks to it. i'm going to use the standard one first game is chelsea away so it'l be a real test of it.

season 3 is going horrible. won my first 3 out of my first 4 games beating chelsea 2-0 blackburn 3-0 arsenal 1-0 and then after the arsenal game i lost the next ten games in a row. ive never had such a bad losing streak before. so a change of tactic was required and ive just won my last 3 games. i think i may have gotten to europe with the squad to back it up......i'm trying various versions of the brazilian box i like the way it plays it just can't get it to work currently i'm using lawd's version of it from uncle sam's thread.

main signings in are

diego rennan, neymar & javi garcia.

edit; 4 crash dumps on the save.....i'm putting it on pause.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking a team like this to start the season:

----------------------------Kirkland

Melchiot------------Bramble--------Caldwell----------Figueroa

----------------------------Diame

------------------McCarthy--------Gomez

N'Zogbia

--------------------------Rodallega------------------Moses

I'm worried about getting goals though, going to play about in pre-season, only 2mil to spend so its pretty limited.

Hello guys,

I thought you lot would be interested in the save i currently running, which is now in 2022.

Wigan have been in admin 3 times, have just finished near the bottom of league one, it gets even worst, some of the best players have run out of contract and have left, so it looks like relegation to league two next season because of the poor finances. Ive had look at the debts, there not that bad and can see the club recovering. If there relegated to league 2 next season, do you want me to supply a save, so you guys can have a pop at takening them back too the prem ?

Screen-shot-2010-04-28-at-00-00-37w79_th.png

I'm playing with Wigan with 10.3 - No transfer budget at all.

9th after 18 games in the league.

Selling a couple of reserve players in January which has got me £1.6 million but not a lot I can really do with that.

wigan1yi4.jpg

• 1 month later...
Macsoz, im just starting a season as Wigan, what formation did you first start off with?

I started with a 4-5-1 one defensive mid, two centre mid and two wingers but i didnt have much success so i went to 4-4-2 with the wide players playin AML & AMR

• 4 weeks later...

Started as save as Wigan yday as i wanted a bit of a harder save then my Liverpool one will be using my own 4-3-3 tactic (no wingers) just played my 1st pre season friendly and Moses got injured and is out for 8 months :(

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to go Wigan to give myself a challenge. Given £2m and £50k more than my current wage budget for a mid table finish, so some serious wheeling and dealing was needed. Out went Mike Pollitt (£400k), Richard Kingson (£1.8m), Emmerson Boyce (£2.7m), Mario Melchiot (£1m), Antonio Amaya (£100k (loan)), Ben Watson (£2m), Jason Koumas (£2m), Rachid Bouaouzan (£1.2m), Tomasz Kupisz (£500k) and I terminated the loans of Scott Sinclair and Marcelo Moreno Martins.

The squad had a relatively good spine. Bramble in particular is ridiculously good on the game. The plan was to sign some quality youngsters and develop them in a relatively low pressure enviroment. Signed Vladimir Stojkovic as my back up keeper (£200k, was on loan with me), Mathias Jorgensen (£2m), Gabriel Silva (£4m), Sergiy Kryvtsov (£2m), just brought in Fabio Coentrao, too (£850k loan fee, and a £3m future fee, so hope I can sign him in January if he impresses and I raise the funds) and finally Jamie Rodriguez (£2.5m). Most of those deals involve little money upfront, mainly monthly installments and appearance clauses, but all four of those youngsters, along with James McCarthy and Victor Moses can go on to become top class players, so looking forward to seeing how they develop.

I've gone for a 4-1-2-2-1, and for the first two Premiership games this has been my team;

----------------------Kirkland---------------------

Kyrvtsov---Bramble---Jorgensen---Figueroa

----------------------Thomas---------------------

--------------Gomez---------Diame--------------

------N'Zogbia------------------Rodriguez------

---------------------Rodallega--------------------

SUBS: Stojkovic, Caldwell, Silva, Scharner, McCarthy, Moses, Scotland.

Had Portsmouth away first game of the season, was 0-0 for an hour when Matias Jorgensen scored off a corner. As Pompey pressed for an equaliser, Rodallega skinned two players in his own half, and ran through on goal to score with 10 minutes to go, to put the game beyond doubt. Jason Scotland scored an injury time header to really pile on the misery. A nice 3-0 away win.

Second game was Hull at home, and Rodallega scored two superb goals. He's been fantastic as a loan striker so far. Skinning players for fun, plenty of pace and strength, and when he has pacey players like N'Zogbia, Rodriguez and Moses creating chances for him, I reckon he'll get me at least 20 goals this season. A comfortable 2-0 win.

Still looking for a first choice right back (looking at signing Mikael Lustig from Rosenborg for £3m) and cover for Rodallega, as Jason Scotland looks proper poo. Only have about £2m, although I've brought the wage budget down by about £80k p/w, so should have enough for Lustig, and will have to hope that I can get someone decent in on loan.

Really looking forward to this, if I can stay injury free then I reckon I could get a top half finish. Still need to sort out all my staff and my training, which is going to be a royal pain in the backside!

Archived