FM 10: Official Chelsea Thread - Pride of London

el sid

WELCOME TO THE FM 10 GUIDE FOR CHELSEA FOOTBALL CLUB

football_chelsea_logo.jpg

Chelsea Football Club is a professional English football club based in West London. The team, founded in 1905, plays in the English Premier League and have spent most of their history in the top tier of English football. Chelsea have been English champions three times, and have won the FA Cup five times, the League Cup four times and the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup twice.

The club had their first major success in 1955, winning the league championship. Chelsea won several cup competitions during the 1960s and 1970s, but after that did not win another major title until 1997. The past decade has been the most successful period in Chelsea’s history, capped by winning consecutive Premier League titles in 2005 and 2006, and reaching their first UEFA Champions League final in 2008.

Chelsea's traditional kit colours are royal blue shirts and shorts with white socks. The club crest has been changed several times in attempts to modernise or re-brand; the current crest, featuring a ceremonial lion holding a staff, is a modified version of one first adopted in the 1950s

HOME KIT

41OitTQseKL_SS400_.jpg

AWAY KIT

cfcaway0910.jpg

CLUB INFORMATION:

Background

Name: Chelsea Football Club

Nickname: The Blues

Founded: 1905

Fierce Rivals: Millwall, Tottenham, West Ham

Other Rivals: Liverpool, Fulham, Arsenal, QPR, Man Utd

Affiliations: Los Angeles Galaxy, Westerlo, H.Tel-Aviv

Club Legends: Ron Harris, Peter Osgood, Gianfranco Zola

Club Icons: Gianluca Vialli, Peter Bonetti, Dennis Wise, John Terry, Ron Bentley, Kerry Dixon, Steve Clarke , Charlie Cooke, Jose Mourinho, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink , Marcel Desailly, Joe Cole, Eidur Gudjohnsen , Alan Hudson , Frank Lampard, Bobby Tambling, Colin Pates, Dan Petrescu, Jimmy Greaves, Tore Andre Flo, Ray Wilkins, John Hollins, Ken Bates, David Speedie, Joey Jones

Favoured Personnel: Ricardo Carvalho, Claudio Ranieri, Roberto Di Matteo, Carlo Cudicini, Didier Drogba, Ruud Gullit, Glenn Hoddle

League: English Premier League

Media Prediction: 3rd

Club Captain: John Terry

Club Vice Captain: Frank Lampard

Club Manager: Carlo Ancelotti

Squad Personality: Highly Ambitious

Finances

Estimated Value: £286 million

Loan Debt: £407 million

Balance: £78 million

Transfer Budget: Title Challenge - £52 million, Winner - £68 million

Remaining Wage Budget: Title Challenge - £1.9 million, Winner - £2.2 million

Sponsors: 4 year main kit sponsorship deal at £12 million per season. Ends 2015.

6 year additional kit sponsorship deal at £10 million per season. Ends 2013.

Stadium and Training

Stadium: Stamford Bridge

Capacity: 41761 all-seater

Reserve Stadium: Griffin Park

Corporate Facilities: Top Corporate Facilities

Training Facilities: Top Training facilities

Youth Facilities: Good Youth facilities + Youth academy

SQUAD ANALYSIS:

This squad analysis is purely based on my opinion of the squad in the game.

First Team

Goalkeepers

Petr Cech

Hilario

Ross Turnbull

In Cech, you have one of the best goalkeepers in the league, and indeed in Europe. However, his backups aren't upto the mark. Hilario would last a season or two atmost and Turnbull just isn't good enough. Getting a new goalkeeper as backup for Cech is therefore, almost a neccesity. I would also look to sell Turnbull as soon as possible.

Defenders

Jose Bosingwa

Paulo Ferreira

Juliano Belletti

Branislav Ivanovic

Ashley Cole

Alex

Ricardo Carvalho

John Terry

Your starting back four should be Terry, Carvalho, A Cole and Bosingwa. Bosingwa, however, isn't rated too well defensively, but is immense bombing forward. In Alex and Ivanovic, there is abundant quality backups for the central defense positions.

The same cannot be said about the full back positions, however. Ferreira is getting on a bit, and Belletti is already past his prime. The only cover for Cole is Zhirkov, who is better higher up the field. I'd look at selling Ferreira, and possibly Belletti, to raise funds to get a backup for Bosingwa, or even better, get a better right back to replace him. Also needed is a backup left back.

Midfielders

Michael Essien

John Obi Mikel

Michael Ballack

Deco

Frank Lampard

On paper, the midfield is the strongest part of the team. In terms of physicality, it is also one of the best in the league. Ballack, Deco and Lampard are all over 30, however, so I would look at getting a younger attack minded midfielder. Mikel and Essien should provide stability in midfield for years to come. I would also recommend selling Deco to free up some cash.

Wingers

Yury Zhirkov

Joe Cole

Salomon Kalou

Florent Malouda

With Zhirkov for the left wing and Joe Cole for the right wing and ideal backups in the form of Kalou and Malouda, wingers are another of Chelsea's stronger points. However in the longer run, I would look to get better backups for the two positions and maybe replace Joe Cole with a world class right winger.

Strikers

Nicolas Anelka

Didier Drogba

Drogba and Anelka. You could probably hear most defenders in the premier league shiver at hearing those names (that includes you, Jamie Carragher ;)). One of the most lethal strike forces in the league and in Europe, playing these two together will definitely provide you with goals. Backup is something seriously lacking, however. Kalou and Sturridge are the only form of backup and I would definitely look to invest some money into the strike-force. Both of them are also over 30, so replacements would be needed sooner rather than later.

Reserve Squad

These players are, in my opinion, the best players in the reserve squad. Playing them in a few league games and in the lesser cup games should definitely help them get the experience and make a smoother transition later into the first team.

Sam Hutchinson

Michael Mancienne - on loan at Wolverhampton Wolves

Jeffrey Bruma

Slobodan Rajkovic - on loan at FC Twente

Jack Cork - on loan at Coventry City

Nemanja Matic

Gokhan

Gael Kakuta - banned until 3.1.2010

Scott Sinclair - on loan at Wigan Athletic

Miroslav Stoch - on loan at FC Twente

Daniel Sturridge

Fabio Borini

Franco di Santo - on loan at Blackburn Rovers

U-18 Squad

Although the Chelsea squad is loaded with talent all around, the U-18 squad is one exception. Most of the players in the under 18 squad should immediately be sold or released. Asking the board to improve the youth facilities should help in this category in the longer run. The only ones with any sort of potential in the U-18 squad are:

Matej Delac - on loan at Inter Zapresic (one to really look out for)

Josh McEachran

Milan Lalkovic

Philipp Prosenik

Jacopo Sala

Recommended formations and transfers to follow in the next post.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recommended Formations

1) The Midfield diamond being preferred by Carlo Ancelotti so far this season:

This is how I would set it up.

4-1-2-1-2.png

2) The very successful 4-3-3 employed by Mourinho and Hiddink

Ideally, I would set it up as

4-3-3.png

For both the formations, the tactic was created and the assman was made to give his team report.

Recommended Transfers

Outs:

Paulo Ferreira

Juliano Belletti

Salomon Kalou

Ins:

I would recommend getting new backup GK, after selling/releasing Hilario and Turnbull. - Asenjo, Fiorillo, Areola, Ochoa

A new right back to replace Bosingwa/ a better back up - Srna, Maicon/ Santon, Azpilicueta, Gokhan Gonul, Anyukov

Backup Left back - Monreal, Rat, Vargas

Young attack minded midfielder - Hamsik, Dzagoev, Kroos, Galvan

Winger - Beerens, Hazard, Di Maria, Albin

Striker - Rossi, Mata, Villa, Vucinic, Balotelli, Dzeko, Luis Fabiano

You're all set now. Managing Chelsea can be quite a fun and rewarding experience as I've found out in the past. Can you break Man Utd's dominance of the Premier League and hold off resurgent teams like Arsenal and Man City? Can you do what no other manager has done, and finally win the Champions League for Chelsea? Let us know! We'd love to hear all about your ups and downs in your Chelsea career, your best and worst signings, your favourite regens etc.

I'd love to add more to the OP at a later time. All suggestions, criticisms etc. are welcome.

Finally, a big thank you to Hopey and Purefun for allowing me to do this, and to theincrediblehulk for letting me use his template and for voting for me. Cheers.

And lastly,

KEEP THE BLUE FLAG FLYING HIGH.

All the Best.

Note: Chelsea get a transfer ban at the beginning of September 2009. So if you want to buy players, you only have time during the 1st window of the game, otherwise you have to wait until January 2011 to go back into the transfer market.

Excellent OP el sid. The player links are a great addition and smart move in holding the next 2 posts just in case.

I'm definitely going to start this up, maybe right now.

Just looking at the squad you can tell that there are a weakspots

Very informative post and good recommendations.

I tend to use "Mourinhos" formation bt I'd use slightly different players

I'll get started and get some update going.

Thanks guys :thup:

Chelsea get a transfert ban when you arrive at the begining of September 2009. So if you want to buy players, you only have time during the 1st window of the game otherwise you have to wait 'till January 2011 to go back in the market.

I've added the transfer ban information to the OP now, thanks.

Downloaded the demo last night. I haven't played FM09 for about 5 months in order to 'build up' for this one! Sod's law that this and Pro Evo 10 come out a week apart from one another but I'm more excited about this.

The Chelsea squad looks strong in my opinion, but ageing which the transfer ban will make a problem. I may use the demo to play around with using my transfer budget to bring in 3 or 4 very good younger players who can do a job now but come through and freshen up the side in the following season. Zhirkov is a quality buy although injured from the start, and Sturridge has potential.

Some of Chelsea's younger players have finally had their stats 'upped' from first glance after years of experiencing aweful young players from the start of games. Mancienne, Stoch, Sturridge, Kakuta, Gokhan, Bruma, Cork, Woods and Rajkovic all look much better from the start this time around.

The wage bill, like last season, probably needs trimming also, so players like Deco and Ferreira may be moved on. Will have a play around!

One thing though is that Chelsea are appealing the transfer ban today and there is a widespread belief that Chelsea's ban will get reduced to only the January window on appeal or even thrown out altogether. Is this something that may well be reflected in the full game (that Chelsea appeal the ban and then possibly a random generator will decide Chelsea's punishment)?

Glad to see the CFC thread is finally up and running!

I'll be posting up my progress as it's a bit more complete. Has anyone tried and been successful at signing Van der Vaart? My bid gets accepted, I gave him a 'key player' role with £20k more wages per week than Lazio do and they always loan him from under my nose!

I tried to get him as well, but i don't think that he is that keen to join Chelsea for some reason, On my game i've signed:

Ashley Young -£15m

Edin Dzeko - £18.5m

Stevan Jovetic - £15m

Maxi Rodriguez - £21m

Tim Krul - £2m

Out:

Adam Philip - Loan

Gokhan - Loan

S Kalou - £11.25m

D Sturridge - Loan

F Borini - Loan

R Taylor - Loan

Not having much luck.Played 3 friendlies against canon fodder and i have lost A.Cole,Boswinga,Essien,Ferreira and Diego capel to medium to long term injuries.Add that to Zhirkov and i have no natural left back:(

Apparently Malouda can play in left back so im saved for a while at least:cool:

I dominated the prem with Chelsea. Top when the games ends 5 points clear of Man City (lol)

I signed; Hulk - £19m 11 goals in 17 starts

Gignac, great reserve striker 6 goals in 9 starts

Hamsik, loads of assists as support man

Drogba was awesome, 19 goals in 23 games

Anelka was *****, sold Deco.

I play a 4-3-1-2

Some transfers you might consider:

Right-back:

Philipp Lahm: €30M

Rafinha: €6M-€9M (after unsettling)

Central midfield:

Daniele De Rossi: €30M

Moussa Sissoko: €18M

Wingers:

Franck Ribéry: €27,5M (after unsettling)

David Silva: €25M (after unsettling)

Stevan Jovetic: €18M

Just wondering how every1 is finding the new tactic system + ideas on how to use it to get best out of Chelsea's players.

I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 (2CMs, LAM, CAM,RAM,ST)

and i've started

-with acole and bosingwa 's role as wingback, duty as attack

-CDs role CB, duty defend

-Essien ball winning midfielder, support

-Lampard box to box/cm, support/attack

-LAM/RAM winger/attack

-CAM (ballack atm) attacking midfielder, support

-Drogba advanced forward, attack

Cheers for the suggestions, brought in Jovetic to cover the left wing, what a player, after a couple of performances he's toppled Zhirkov as the first choice left winger, seems to have everything going for him, he's a two-footed wonderkid and plus he'll only set you back about 15mil. Silva at 28mil is a bit too steep for my liking :p I was looking to offload Kalou & Malouda sharpish, but everytime i've played them they seem to come up with the goods, now i'm a bit miffed.

I have been mega-scouting with Bryan Robson (j CA, 20; jPA 20) and haven't really been able to find any players who would be available who are currently rated any better than either Zhirkov and J Cole (and they are only 2.5 stars according to ass man (also 20/20).

any ideas?

Using the demo as a tester before the full game comes out, I have played it a couple of times and I have been able to make the same sales each time:

Anelka - Man Utd - £16.5m (and they no longer go for Dzeko!)

Alex - Sunderland - £15m (get him to sign a new contract first as he is in the last year of it)

Deco - Juventus - £5m

Malouda - Man City - £12.25m

That is £49m on the sale of four players and in Anelka and Deco two of the higher wage earners in the team. Although only 60% of transfer revenue is made re-available, that is still around £30m on the original £52m budget.

Another money saver is offering a new contract to Ballack. He is on £125k a week but will resign for £60k a week.

Some players I have seen who the money could be spent on are:

Beckham - LA Galaxy - £500k or free transfer in January - Old but still a superb first team squad player for a snip!

Dzeko - Wolfsburg - £16m - Long term target man replacement for Drogba

Luis Fabiano - Sevilla - £21.5m - This is his release clause. At 28, he is older than Dzeko but a better bet for the present.

Jovetic - Fiorentina - £13.5m - Superb young LW/AM to replace Malouda

Obasi - Hoffenheim - £9m - Not as good a striker as Anelka, but a far better bet at RW.

Enyeama - Tel Aviv - £200k - A bargain back up GK, which is far better than Turnbull and Hilario.

Otamendi - Velez - £2.5m - Good young CB, long term replacement for Alex in the first team squad.

Moutinho - Sporting - £12m - A long term attack minded midfield replacement for Deco and Ballack.

Veloso - Sporting - £10m - An alternative midfield replacement, but much more defensive minded.

Van Der Vaart - R Madrid - £7.5m - A younger Deco like player who is transfer listed at the start of the game.

I think with the transfer ban it is vital to get in some younger, fresher blood not just with this season in mind but the second season as well.

De Rossi is available for about 35m as well - pretty good value IMO for quality player who is only 25! A must for anyone playing with a CDM.

Atletico will settle for nothing less than the 52m minimum fee release clause for Aguero.

Toulalan is available also for about 26m.

As far as I can tell, Srna is the best bet for RB, because Inter Milan rejected a 30m bid from me for Maicon, twice what I would expect to pay for Srna.

Bosingwa can be sold for at least 9m.

offered anelka out for 16 million,got loads of loan offers but utd did offer the 16 mil, also getting 15 million for alex, but having trouble getting rid of back up keepers.

also anyone got van nistrolrooy?i can get him for 1.8mil and scout says hes leading star of league.

Archived