Implementing Tactics for FM09: The Final Version...

Preview: The modern game has changed slightly. As mentioned in the updates, SI have decided to make a bigger contrast between the higher end of the attribute slider. As opposed to the tactics mentioned in Tactical Central and Insight: Implementing Tactics for FM09, I have gone away from split mentality systems and started implementing global settings (this has only simplified things). Other changes include that I have 3 different Closing Down + Defensive Line ideologies that have stabalised the tactics, Free Roles have been taken away from the wingers and I (perferably) find a good Forward that I give a Free Role to. There is also more room, in the updated Patch 9.3.0, to attempt more Attacking Frameworks when favorite away from home pitch matches, so some of my previous ideologies can be re-thought. Getting the tactic right on the day is still as effective as ever, so it might take Users some days practice before the tactics make total sense. The tactics individually all have a purpose, and understanding the Mentality Reality presented in FM09 is a must (basically when to attack, defend or a little bit of both). It is not neccessary to have to use all the tactics, but they represent different playing styles which can be translated into how you think you should play or make your own tactics.

The Tactics and Explainations: In this post#1 I describe mainly the 4-4-2 tactical formation, whereas in post#2 there is the Alternative tactics which include the 4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1 and the 4-3-3. There is a wide variety of tactics/playing styles for all types of teams to choose from, because there are different types of managers and different type of Club expectations. You might be the Relegation Battler, the Tactician or the Master, and they all have different tactical choices*(explained later). When you 'break down' all the tactics to their natural state then you will quickly realise they all basically follow the Attacking, Defensive or Normal ideologies that are built into the FM game.

The High Pressure Ideologies: These tactics are usually only reserved for the World Class Elite Football Clubs, or you can try to attempt this ideology if you are MUCH better than your opponent. You will easily be able to see in a match if team can cope with these type of tactics. The High Press Closing Down plus higher Defensive Line can really back-fire if your team isn't strong enough (compared to opponent). Unfit teams (lacking match fitness) and teams that have many new signings will struggle, to be able to play these tactics you sometimes really need momentum resultwise (having your opponent teams on the run and playing very defensively against you) and moulded squad players (perferably with lots of stars).

4-4-2_Arsene: A high Tempo, short Passing tactic with lots of Creativety. Best implented in good weather (dry) and perferably a home field match. The High Mentality setting (18) can cause a lot of attacking football and can offer some of the best visual Football in current ME if implemented in the right circumstance. Technical, high Stamina players with perferably lots of Pace is required. (Important: I noticed that in the download version Time-Wasting is set to 6 accidently but should have been set to 4, mistake somehow, but it is advisable to change this setting. I have fixed this for all new downloads after 1800hrs 14-Aug-2009).

4-4-2_SirAlex: Another tactic similar to Arsene, but less attacking mentality-wise (15). Doesn't quite require the same class of tecnical players as Arsene, but still you need players of a certain calibar with lots of Stamina and Pace to cope with the pushed up Defense and high Closing Down settings. Short Passing, so another tactic best implemented in dry weather.

4-4-2_MilanHighPress: Direct Passing, high Tempo tactic with lots of Creativety. Best for poor weather conditions (wet), or simply if you don't care much about beautiful Football and enjoy result-oriented football instead. The high Time-Wasting allows players to move into dangerous positions before a pass is made, making this tactic quite lethal. Not as pretty match-stats as the other two High Pressure tactics can offer. Mentality (14) is not as attacking (a little more Italien, so to say), but otherwise same type of player requirement as the other two High Pressure tactics.

General Description: All tactics use settings: Closing Down (18) and Defensive Line (13). They all break the AI tactical setting's general 'Rules'. The 'Rules'*(exlained elsewhere) can only be 'broken' by the top of the line Clubs and Players. If you are really struggling with these type of tactics you might want to change down to one of the less Closing Down tactics (below). None of them use Tight Marking (except Center Backs). All use Attacking Full Backs*(player settings

exlained later).

The Attacking Ideologies: These tactics are your typical Home Field tactics. They do not require world elite type players, just as long as you are somewhat favorite to win (or sure you have a good chance against the opponent).

4-4-2_Argentina: Short Passing tactic with a slower Tempo helps lesser quality players keep the ball, and (of course) best suited for good weather (dry). Not as wide Width as the High Pressure tactics use and lesser Creative Freedom to keep the team more sturdy and compact. Mentality (15) so still quite attacking outlook, a typical close victory tactic. Closing Down (15) and Defensive Line (10). Attacking Full Backs.

4-4-2_Milan: Little brother to the MilanHighPress tactic and uses basically the same tactical settings except for the following: Closing Down (15) and Defensive Line (10). Again, designed for wet weather conditions or preferred style of play. Doesnt offer the best possession stats but still a lethal type of result orientated Football. Attacking Full Backs.

4-4-2_Brazil: "The Braziliens can't defend". Narrow width to compensate for the lack of Tight Marking and general tactical outlook, and helps connect the short Passing they implement. A good tactic to use if you are huge favorites away from home and the weather is dry. A typical summer tournement tactic played on Neutral Fields, and has been successfully used in Cup Finals. Mentality (13),Closing Down (15) and Defensive Line (10). Attacking Full Backs.

4-4-2_Ranieri: Actually my perferred away from home tactic when I am (or become) one of the Elite Clubs and/or I am a large favorite to win. Mixed Passing (12) allows you to play in any type of weather so the tactic can be used basically at all times if needed. Similar to the Brazil tactic in terms of use, but is naturally more Defensive minded: Tight Team Marking and lower Closing Down (14) & Defenisve Line (9) with Normal Full Back settings*(explained later). The safe choice tactic but not an 'adventurous' type of tactic like the Brazil tactic.

General Descriptions: Here you have a little room to experiment when you start getting really good squads. You have to be able to read match stats and be able to change when things that did work might stop. It has to do with the 'degree' of Defending (Mentality) that your opponent implements against you that has a bearing on what type of attacking Football ideology you will choose (Attacking or High Pressure). The more success you have and the better your squad gets compared to opponents, the more likely you will encounter the AI high Time-Wasting/Compact tactics which are hard to break down. These type of things should be apparent and will aide in the 'Reading of the ME' which will simplify the choice of type of tactics that you will eventually choose. Also when to switch down to a more Defensive Attacking Framework can be an art form (NB if neccessary), like switching from (example) Arsene to Argentina in games when you can feel the opposition trying to get back into a match (usually late in match) which will make your formation more 'tight' and slowing down Full Backs to cut off threats from opposition wing play.

The Middle Ideologies: This type of Football ideology can be translated to a type of 50-50 Football. It is not always that good of an idea to randomise games if it is not neccessary, but you can see that this in certain instances it can be quite useful. Away games were you feel you can match your opponent and you could steal a win, or if you are up against a monster League opponent at home are the two times I think most of when I want to choose the Middle Ideology. Can also be used as a more Offensive outlook if you have started with a more Defensive tactic and have fallen behind away from home. Good also for Neutral pitches and you are not sure if you are better than opponent (safe starting point).

4-4-2_Italy: Shorter Passing game (dry weather) with a slower tempo. Tight team Marking with Closing Down (14) and Defensive Line (9). Typical Italian style of Football, entertaining at times but also a cynical type of game play. Usually a close game, a steril 1-0 type of game. Normal Full Backs. Mentality (10).

4-4-2_Benitez: Direct passing (14), so, another result type Football and should be used if the weather is wet. Same Closing Down and Defensive Line as Italy tactic. Mentality (10), Normal Full Backs and Tight team Marking.

4-4-2_Athletico(11): Narrow (3) so the tactic in itself is very compact (focus Passing through the middle). A more attacking Version of the Athletico(6), is best implemented if you are against a tough opponent and you need a result or need to fight your way back into the game. Direct Passing so again a good tactic for poor weather conditions. A good Home tactic for a Relegation Battler with a poor squad where you will mostly be large underdogs. Generally a good away from home tactic for the top teams in the lower Leagues where players are not that talented. Closing Down and Defensive Line same as other two tactics.

The Defensive/Counter Attack Ideologies: Playing Defensive/Counter can be very helpful in grabbing points. Especially when you are up against better opponents or later in games to protect leads. The Capello is more for the top teams playing as slight underdogs where-as the other two tactics are more easier to handle for most teams.

4-4-1-1_Capello: This is a 4-4-1-1, Wide with mixed Passing (7). This tactic is most used in situations where you are away from home and slight underdog. You can implement this tactic if you think you have a reasonable chance of winning despite the match odds. Can be implemented in wet weather, but just in case be ready to change to one of the Athletico tactics if need be. Mentality (6), middle Creative Freedom and Closing Down (14) Defensive Line (9). Normal Full Backs.

4-4-2_Tapia: Middle width with mixed passing (8), uses Mentality (7) which is defensive in the Team instructions. More of a passing defensive tactic then the Athletico(6) but you don't need as high quality players as the Capello craves. Better for good weather matches, Closing Down (14) and Defensive Line (9).

4-4-2_Athletico(6): This tactic has basically the same team instructions as The Athletico(11) but Mentality setting of (6). Low on creative freedom and narrow Width causes you team to be tight in defense. Through the Middle Direct Passing gets the ball quickly up to your forwards, so make sure they are fast (pace). A typical underdog tactic away from home, Closing Down (14) and Defensive Line (9), with Normal/Defensive Full Backs.

The All Out Attack Ideology: There always comes a time where you have to throw it all forward, the do or die tactic.

4-2-4_England'66: This is a 4-2-4 formation which implements a little twist with the Closing Down (18) and Defensive Line (17). You can implement a Defensive Line of (13) if the high setting of (17) doesn't produce chances. Low on Creative Freedom to hold the team in place, and with very Direct Passing the ball should be pounded down towards the opposition penalty area. Gung-ho Mentality (21) and Time-Wasting (1) offers a lot of desperation to get one in.

The Tactics for Download:http://www.mediafire.com/file/22gkzqmymli/LL's_4-4-2_Tactics.rar

Player Instructions and Descriptions: All Outfield players are on mixed Forward Runs except for the two Center-Backs (rarely). This ideology is quite effective even though some might not think so. It can be just as attaking as Formations with Forward Runs, and at the same time your players rarely get caught out of position. All players are on Team Instructions unless stated otherwise. Other instructions not mentioned will be naturally on default/normal/mixed.

FwRn = Forward Runs

RWB = Run With Ball

LS = Long Shots

TTB = Try Through Ball

CrB = Cross Ball

The Goalkeeper: Distribution should be set to Defender Collect in the Short Passing and/or the Attacking Mentality tactics. Distribution set to Mixed in the Direct/Mixed Passing and Defensive/Counter tactics.

FwRn = (Rarely)

RWB = (Rarely)

LS = (Rarely)

TTB = (Rarely)

CrB = (Rarely)

The Center Back: These two are the only ones not following Team Closing down settings. For all tactics I have them on Tight Marking (Zonal). The Center Backs Closing Down in relation to the Team Closing Down settings:

Team (18) = CB (8)

Team (15) = CB (7)

Team (14) = CB (6)

FwRn = (Rarely)

RWB = (Rarely)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Mixed)

The Attacking Full Back: This type of Full Back is Runing With Ball and Crossing From Byline, which can really cause extra havoc in oppositions' defensive stance.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Often)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Often)

The Normal Full Back: Will stick to his duties and only run forward when neccessary. Mixed crossing.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Mixed)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Often)

The Defensive Full Back: Will stay back and block off threats from opposition wing play. Crossing from Deep will help make sure he doesn't wonder too far forward.

FwRn = (Rarely)

RWB = (Rarely)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Often)

The Defensive Midfielder: He has to be positioned inbetween the defense and midfield line. If he is positioned further forward he should have other settings (see Center Midfielders bellow).

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Mixed)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Mixed)

The Cental Midfielder: You can basically use any type of central midfielder in this position. I personally (in a flat midfield- 442) try to have a Natural Defensive (left center) and an Attacking (right center) midfielder. But there is still room to try out different solutions, and you don't need to tweak anything if you do change things around.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Mixed)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Often)

CrB = (Mixed)

The Attacking Midfielder: Positioned between the midfield line and the strikers. It is difficult to find players that can really play this position. The Free Role needs quality players to be able to handle. To help keep his ratings up he should be the one instructed to take free kicks and maybe other set pieces.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Often)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Mixed)

The Winger: Usually Crossing from Byline, unless you are playing very defensively (or your wingers are too slow/low quality) then I would used (mixed) crossing.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Often)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Often)

The Play Maker Winger: (Credits to SFraser). Perferable playing the opposite foot to the side of the pitch he is playing on.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Often)

LS = (Mixed)

TTB = (Often)

CrB = (Mixed)

The Power Striker: Usually tall and/or has high Strength due to the Hold Up On Ball setting.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Mixed)

LS = (Rarely)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Rarely)

The Forward: The creative type, usually fast with good dribbling skills. Needs to be a good player to handle the Free Role instruction.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Often)

LS = (Rarely)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Rarely)

The Ordinary Striker: For those strikers that don't fit into the other two Striker types.

FwRn = (Mixed)

RWB = (Mixed)

LS = (Rarely)

TTB = (Mixed)

CrB = (Rarely)

General Descriptions: As a rule I don't 'sterilise' my playing options regarding players. There is a lot of (Mixed) instructions, and this gives my players options to choose from in different game instances. The (Mixed) ideology helps players have other options then all of a sudden making a 60 meter back pass because he didn't know what to do with the ball due to lack of instructions. Can be a little risky, but I personally like the rewards you can achieve in games. I always strive to find better players for all positions (as most Users probably do), and good teams really benefit from these mentioned Player settings. There can be some exceptions where you might feel that you can, for instance, implement (Often) Long Shots or other tweaks, but I personally never do. The players have 'Natural' roles and I feel the settings allow them to do what is neccessary when they need to.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Alternative Formations/Tactics: These tactics are a lot of fun. They include a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1 and 4-3-3. I decided to keep the 4-2-3-1 and the 4-3-2-1 in the same tactic Pack, this is because the 4-2-3-1 is a little more attacking formation wise where as the 4-3-2-1 represent the more defensive aspect. The tactics are how the southern Europeans play their football, they usually have good weather so this allows them to play a little more on the ground then in northern Europe. If you have the interrest/ability to combine the two tactic Packs you will notice that the players positions are compadible with one an other. So as a bonus to combining the two tactic Packs and you are really good at choosing tactics you will become know to the FM Football World as a 'tactical genius', because you are not afraid to change formations. A good note is to find out when you want to play with an 'Anchor man' or want to play possession type of football, and learning opponents formations' weaknesses and stengths creates an interresting type of tactical play. Enjoy...

The 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1_Pack and Desciptions:

4-2-3-1_Laudrup: All Out Attack version of the 4-2-3-1. For those times when you have to throw it all forward. Due to the short passing (3) it is advisable to use this in good weather, if the weather is rainy then I would suggest you use the 4-2-4_England'66 in the 4-4-2 section. Attacking Full Backs.

4-2-3-1_Olsen: High Pressure tactic with Mentality (17), you have to have a great squad and/or be much stonger than opponent. Great attacking football, with short passing and slow tempo best suited for home field games. Lots of possession, a real domination tactic when you have the right players for the formation. Closing Down (18) and Defensive Line (13). Attacking Full Backs.

4-2-3-1_Spalletti: Attacking tactic (Mentality 14) also best used on home field when you are slight favorites to win. Mixed Passing (12) which is almost direct which allows this tactic to be able to be used in all weather conditions. It's going to be a tight result (mostly) be offers a lot of visual entertainment. You won't always dominate possession be should be enough to grab a win. If you are favorite to win and somehow it is not going your way you might want to think about switching up to the Olsen tactic. Closing Down (15) and Defensive Line (10). Attacking Full Backs.

4-2-3-1_Benitez: This is a good tactic to play if you are big favorite to win away or large underdog at home. Direct Passing (14) so it is not such a pretty tactic to look at, but it will have it's moments. An effective tactic that can also be used if you are underdog in one of the cup finals. Tight team Marking, Closing Down (14) and Defensive Line (9). Expect a tight match, Mentality (10). Normal Full Backs.

4-3-2-1_Ancelotti: Counter-Attacking football at it's best, Mentality (8). This tactic should really only be played with technical teams. Away from home you will dominate opponents due to the short Passing (5). Can be used to hold on the ball when you need this form of play. Two Attacking Midfielders require some class in those positions because they have been both given a Free Role, which can prove to be devastating to your opponent. Tight team Marking, Counter-Attacking with Closing Down (14) and Defensive Line (9). Normal/Attacking Full Backs.

4-4-1-1_Tapia: The 4-4-1-1 is the same formation as the 4-2-3-1 basically. If you don't want to play without wingers, then this is the solution defensively. Tapia (I've noticed) always gets weakerr teams to overperform, and I like his defensive ideology. Mentality (7), Tight team Marking, Counter-attacking with Closing Down (14) and Defensive Line (9). A good tactic when you are slight underdogs or want to protect leads in games away from home, as long as you think you have a chance to steal/grab a win. Cautious playing style with Passing (9) can be played in most weather conditions. Normal Full Backs.

4-3-2-1_Allegri: The large underdog away fom home. High time-wasting (20) which aides in your team keeping a 'false' possession. Short Passing with slower Tempo tries to dominate the ball, so the opponent has less time to score. Tight result (usually) and you can use this tactic to switch to if you were playing more offensively and now you want to protect the lead and keep the ball. Tight team Marking, Counter-Attacking, Focus Passing Through the Middle, Mentaltiy (6) and very narrow Width (4). Closing Down (14) and Defenisve Line (9). Normal/Defensive Full Backs.

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/file/nqggwgzg3aq/LL's_4-2-3-1_&_4-3-2-1_Tactics.rar

The 4-3-3_Pack and Descriptions:

4-3-3_Terim: Experimental All Out Attacking tactic, Mentality(21*) and low time-wasting (1) for those times when you have to throw it all forward. Extreme high Closing Down (20) and Defensive Line (15) & Attacking Full Backs.

4-1-2-2-1_Arsene: High Pressure tactic, you need to use this against the teams that are playing very defensively against you and high time-wasting. Short (1) passing and a quick tempo (18) so you need to have real class players or be a gigantic home favorite. High Closing Down (18) and Defensive Line(13) with lots of Creative Freedom (19). Offers lots a great visual football and is more attacking then the Guardiola. Attacking Full Backs.

4-1-2-2-1_Guardiola: High Pressure tactic and usually the best tactic to use at home against other World-Class teams when you are one your-self. If you use it for the most part but you notice at one point down the road that you are no longer controlling possession then I sugest that you change up to the Arsene. An enjoyable visual tactic when played in the right circumstances. Mentality (16) with Closing Down (18) and Defensive Line (13). Attacking Full Backs.

4-1-2-2-1_Hiddink: Attacking home field tactic. Typical 2-1 result type tactic, a little action is expected. Again if you are favorite to win at home and you are getting dominated you've got to switch to Arsene, Guardiola or Mourinho(15), as you are not Closing Down enough. A good cup final tactic if you are favorite to win or other neutral pitch games. Attacking Full Backs.

4-1-4-1_Tapia: Playing Defensively with 4-3-3 is not the easiest thing to do (wingers staying too far forrward when you are underpressure) so the 4-1-4-1 (flat midfield) is basically the same structually but makes the formation naturally more defensive. Mentality (7), tight team Marking and Counter-Attacking. Your slight underdog away from home type tactic, best for good weather games. Similar to the 4-4-1-1_Tapia tactic explained further up. Closing Down (14) and Defensive Line (9). Normal/Defensive Full Backs.

4-1-4-1_Olexiy: Direct (14) football for those horrible weather matches or if you lack talent away from home, uses a little higher tempo (14) and middle width. Don't expect to play well or create a bundance of chances, but can be lethal with the few that you do get. A grinding in result type of tactic, Closing down (14) and Denfensive Line (9). Normal/defensive Full Backs.

The Three Mourinho's: Mourinho likes his players to be high in Strength, Stamina and Workrate. Being Mourinho doesn't always secure the ball possession in matches, but should dominate shots and ME match sequences. He has three types of play but his outlook is a little different than most other managers. He does not implement any Free Roles as he likes the team to be more powerful and play as a unit.

4-1-2-2-1_Mourinho(15): High Pressure tactic, but Passing (12) can be played in most weather conditions (wet matches maybe tweak passing from 12 to 13). Alternative to the Guardiola tactic, with a little less impressive visual football (effective style). Closing Down (18) and Defensive Line (13). Very wide Width to attempt to drag opposition out of formation. Needs Mourinho's type of players explained above. Considered Mourinho's home attacking tactic. Attacking Full Backs.

4-1-2-2-1_Mourinho(13): Mourinho's normal tactic. I consider this to be his normal Cup Final tactic, otherwise a defensive home tactic or an attacking away from home tactic if you have an Elite Class squad. Mentality (13), Closing Down (15) and Defensive Line (10). Attacking/Normal Full Backs

4-1-2-2-1_Mourinho(10): Even though Mourinho considers this to be his defensive tactic, it is quite attacking so you need to have a great team to play like this and/or be much better than opponent. A real 50-50 Mentality outlook (Mentality 10), tight team Marking, Closing Down (14) and Defensive Line (9). Normal Full Backs.

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/file/lmkzdn0m4yy/LL's_4-3-3_&_4-1-4-1_Tactics.rar

Strategies Part 1: The Formations

The 4-4-2: Easiest formation to adapt to, can be played by any type of team. Usually best implemented with wingers who have the ability to get to the byline and use their natural foot on that side of the pitch (left foot on left side and right foot on right side) so they can swing in crosses. I recomend a tall, strong striker (right center) who can hold up on ball and a fast, dribbler forward (left center) who can deal with the free role setting. Otherwise using ordinary strikers should be sufficient if you don't have these other type of strikers. In central midfield I usually have a defensive midfielder (left center) and an attacking midfielder (right center) as preference, but I have tried many combinations (even having two attacking midfielders at the same time) and they all have their own personal style which is up to the User to decide. I can't really say which is better, but I always think it is a good idea to have two good tacklers centrally when you need to have a more defensive outlook (help protect results). In the long run you need to find some very good attacking types of full backs, it will give your team more options when your team is attacking.

The 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1: You have bought too many AM/F RLCs? Then this is the tactic for you, generally easy to adapt to for most teams but you need technical/flair players to really be able to play this tactic thoroughly. Very dominating type of play and naturally offensive in terms of player's positions. The attacking midfielder postion (AMC) is best played by those offensive versatile types that perferably can also play as a forward. It is a known problem that players in the AMC position can underperform, but the AMC type I've explained usually gets goals and if he is a very good set-piece taker then this will aide in keeping his ratings up. The two/three players in the MC positions should definatly be the hard type of midfielders who can tackle and win the ball back, this is due to the natural positioning that the attacking midfielders have which doesn't allow them to defend too much. Best for teams playing where the weather is normally good, but still can be used in wet weather to some extent (I have experimented with changing passing setting to 13-direct- in some of the tactics but it hasen't complimented the tactics at all, except for The Benitez_4-2-3-1 which is the only one that uses naturally direct passing in the whole tactic set) but you might find some difficulties with it in horrrible conditions. Can be played with any type of striker, just remember to tweak him to suit his type.

The 4-3-3: The hardest of all the tactics to play and the hardest for teams to adapt to. This is due to the Striker being basically alone up front, so this guy really needs to be the "Drogba type" - a one man army guy with lot's of strength to hold up on ball. I have found the pushed up wingers should play with a right footed player on the left side and a left footed player on the right. This makes the tactic much more dangerous when the wingers are 'cutting in' and the full backs are going down the flanks giving your team a fantastic form of visual attacking football. When you have just normal wingers where they have their natural foot on the natural side then the tactics become too 'stale' when attacking and you will not score as many goals because your lone striker has to get to the end of a lot of crosses (he is outnumbered 2 to 1). Cutting in wingers really compliments this tactic and should be players of real class, but that is not all: to really be successful with this tactic you need to generally have a great team (for your league). You need players with high stamina (strength is also a big plus), workrate and decent speed (especially the Three Mourinhos). I recomend the two MC's are attacking midfielder types with lots of strength, stamina and workrate as they need to be able to get forward (and be good at shooting) and back a lot (with decent tackling stats). The full backs need to be of real class as they are left alone a lot due to the pushed up wingers positions. If you don't have the right players then you will see in matches that you dominate most games but will underperform resultwise, but when you have the right players then this is the best form of football on the FM planet. All the tactics can be tweaked to suit bad weather conditions: change passing to (13).

Strategies Part 2: The Manager types

Knowing what type of manager you are is very important when you are choosing tactics. It is not all teams that can handle every tactic, and choosing the right one can really make a huge difference. You might want to play like Arsenal or Barca, but it is hard to achieve this from the start of the game. You will have to 'tailor' your team sometimes to play a certain way, and this takes time (coaches, players, facilities, ect...). It is no use trying to get normal average players to play like the stars, they will most likely end up all over the place and in a real mess. Your team has to get use to the tactics you apply and players need time to settle (especially foriegn), so usually things won't always get off to a good start but when things settle you should be able to overperform (this game is not all about one match). You will, of course, be playing differently if you are battling relegation or if your team are going for honours. In the ME there is an offensive and a defensive mechanism that the AI uses, knowing how to combat them is the key to success. To have true success you need to be able to change things during games (and know when), this can help tilt the result 'balance' your way. Everything is practice, and I would argue that it shouldn't be that hard to accomplish. If you have one of the worst teams in the league, it would make you...

The Relegation Battler: Personally, I would use the 4-4-2 formation as the other two tactic sets could prove to be too daring. You might aquire good players that you could attempt 4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1, and get away with it causing your team to overperform (you might have gotten some of those cheap Brasiliens that have the right attributes). But stay away from the 4-3-3 unless you are going in for the long haul and you are confident your players can deal with the task. 4-4-2 is always the safest bet because here you have the narrow possibilities when defending. The Athletico(6) and (11) are definatly among your tactical choices as they both are defensively strong and direct passing gets the ball quickly up to the front line. You might want to have the MilanNormal tactic just in case you feel you have a good chance against your opponent at home (close odds). It is important to get quick forwards that make these tactics more workable, at least one of them - the other one can be strong to hold up on ball untill other team memebers get into more attacking positions, but this is up to the User and maybe availability. The Athletico(6) would be your normal away from home tactic and you can switch up to the Athletico(11) if you need to go for a goal (perferably) later on in matches. Against really strong teams at home where you hope to grab a victory I would recomend the Athletico(11). Against teams at home where you think you should be at least just as strong or better than, I would use the MilanNormal. All the tactics are direct passing which will help your team get the ball into more dangerous positions faster but you will suffer a little on the possession stats. But as a Relegation Battler you don't need to be worrying about possession (or the weather) and more interrested in getting points any way possible. To overpeform you need to be ready when odds start going in your favor, because you are just about to become...

The Tactician: This is the hardest manager to be, especially if you have ambition. Most tacticians are trying to force their teams into European competition football because this is the platform you need to become one of the Elite teams that most managers dream of being in charge of. This platform offers a better chance at getting good/great players and coaches, and easiest to really upgrade the club's facilities. You need to get a real professional atmosphere around the club, and at the same time strive to learn how to use the right tactics at the right times. Here you are considering weather, pitches and opponents strengths and weaknesses. Away at one of the Elite teams (heavy underdog) I still would use Athletico(6) or Allegri, otherwise my normal away from home tactic (slight underdog) would be the Capello, the Anchelotti or one of the Tapia's (you can also easily tweak Tapia_4-4-1-1 to a 4-4-2 formation and change the AMC's settings to suit the Forward*see player instructions post#1). As a slight favorite away from home I could attempt one of the tactics that implement Mentality setting (10) or (11), but this is where decisions can be very hard for the Tactician Manager, you need to be ready to change if need be (the Ancelotti, though, is a great tactic for this instance, but you need the right players). But usually you would use the tactics that implement The Middle Ideologies (mentality 10-11) when you are a heavy favorite away from home. Home pitch where you are heavy underdog I would also use one of the tactics from The Middle Ideologies, but would be ready to switch up to a Mentality (14-15) tactic if need be. Home pitch matches where you are slight favorites or slight underdogs I would implement one of the tactics that use Mentality setting (14-15), and on that occasion where you really think you have a much more talented squad than opponents at home ground then you can start using the High Pressure Ideologies bringing you closer to becomming...

The Master: This is when you know you are going to have to break down opposition defense week in and week out most of the time. You need quality players in their prime age to really be the top notch Club in the league. You can have young super stars, but not too many as a rule as they can swing too much in quality in performances (perferable 26-29 years of age). Perfect opertunity to use the 4-3-3 if that is your preferrence, although the Arsene_4-4-2 is a monster tactic as well. Away from home when you are large favorites you can easily use the tactics that implement Mentality settings of (13-14), but don't go too high unless it is getting late in the match where the England'66 (4-2-4) can always be implemented. Normally away from home you would be using tactics like Ancelotti/Italy/Benitez which are tactics giving a good opertunity to win as that usually fits the expectation behind the Elite clubs. Of course if you are away from home to one of the top clubs (or a very strong opponent) I would use the Capello, Ancelotti, or one of the Tapia's. I would have the Athletico(6) or Allegri if I need to protect a lead or I am in the later stages of the Champions League and I won the home match and going to meet an opponent that needs to score to get the result to achieve advancement in the tourny. Most home matches will be played with one of the tactics that implement Closing Down (18) and Defensive Line (13), the High Pressure tactics. You might have difficulties playing against other World Class teams, so I suggest that you tweak one of the High Pressure tactics so that you are only Closing Down (15) and Defensive Line (10), like the SirAlex is one of them that I strongly recomend and it is an easy tweak. I didn't include the tweaked versions because they do not compliment weaker teams and I wanted to avoid any confusion in the matter.

Being Jose Mourinho: The Three Mourinhos. The Mourinho(10) would be his normal away from home tactic. The Mourinho(13) as his attacking away from home tactic, his relaxed home version and his Cup Final tactic. The Mouinho(15) is his normal home tactic, but will change Closing Down (18) to (15) and Defensive Line (13) to (10) against other Class opponents. But let me stress, you need to have those type of players that he bought for Chelsea in his time there.

The Lower League Manager: It is easy to break away from the Relegation zone and match odds can be much more flexible than being in the top flight. Getting good players is fairly easy which can change how you play (I always have a saved shortlist with all the decent free players which appear at the start of the game, you can easily do this by getting one of the top clubs and scouts will easily find these players...save, then export the shortlist and import it whenever you feel the urge of bringing your local countryside team into the big leagues). You would be more characterised as a Tactician type of manager most of the time, but generally in the very low leagues you need to play more direct passing tactics. You will be facing the challenges of switching out players frequently to match your ambitions, so at times you need to be more carefull at the beggining of most seasons and be more cautious tactically (especially higher up in the country's league structure).

Strategies Part 3: Playing The ME

The Weather: The only time I really take this into account is when it is wet (rainy). It is going to be a mess no matter what, and can be hard to play like you want as the randomisation effect is greater than normal. Direct passing suits this type of weather so possession might not always be in your favor, but you are going for the result-orientated style of play. You might want to play shorter passing in windy conditions, but I personally don't take this much into account because the draw backs of trying to play short passing against much better opponents can be more devastating. You can always attempt to change passing setting to (13) if the tactic is not already playing Direct.

The Pitch: I look to see what type of pitch I will be playing on as a guideline more than a 'rule' assumption. It can be handy at times to get the most out of a tactic, for example: I am playing away from home and a slight underdog, the opponent pitch is narrow and wet. This might make me choose the Athletico(6) instead of the Capello (which would be my normal choice).

The Scout Report: If you want to be know as a tactical 'Tinkler' (a tactical genius) then you can really use this well to know what type of formation you will use to exploit the opponent. Pitch sizes wil have a bearing too, in which tactics to choose. Good luck...

Matches, The Tactical Side: You have to be aware that match odds can differ from the way that an opponent would norrmally play. In other words, just because you are underdog your opponent won't neccessarily attack you the whole match. You must know when to change, but sometimes you just need to get over the first part of the match before your tactics kick in (wearing out opponents) thoroughly. Reading the game will give you that extra edge to get unexpected results. But let me remind you all that it is harder to have super dominating match-stats than any previous edition of FM, but still you can still achieve incredible over-achievement none-the-less.

The Relegation Battler:

Away, large underdog: Start with Athletico(6), first go more attacking with Athletico(11) if you are behind by 1 and now it is around the 60th minute in match or when you go down by 2. Going too attacking would be very harmful to your goal-difference. Defensive full backs as soon as you are in front. Alternative tactic: the Allegri_4-3-2-1. "Pressure is off".

Away, slight underdog: Start with Athletico(6), generally same concept as in above but you can maybe be more flexible when you can implement the Athletico(11). Can use the England'66 in the last 10 minutes as a desperation act. Use defensive full backs late in matches where you have a chance of getting a point or 3. Alternative tactic: The Allegri_4-3-2-1 (safe choice), The Tapia_4-4-1-1 (daring), and the Tapia_4-3-3(large gamble). "You can win tonight".

Away, favorite: then you would not be a Relegation candidate anymore so look below under The Tactician...

Home, large underdog: Athletico(11), and you shouldn't try to switch up to Mentality (13+) against the Elite teams even if you go behind. Maybe by two you might consider it, but these things can always backfire. If you have to go more attacking wait until at least the 60th minute, and go for the England'66 if you are still only down by one in the last 5-10 minutes. Go down to Athletico(6) after 60-70 minutes match time if you are in front (don't do it too early) and grind in that result. Use the Defensive full backs late in match to get points. Alternative tactic: the Benitez_4-2-3-1 (safe chioce), the Italy or Benitez (daring), and the Mourinho(10) (large gamble). "Wish luck" or "we can win this".

Home, close odds: You need to be sure you have a good chance against them to break away from the Athletico style. Use MilanNormal if you do have a good chance at winning the game. Changing to Athletico(11) later in matches can secure wins. Use defensive full backs late as usuall to avoid the opponent capitalising from switching to their all out attack 4-2-4 formation. "We can win this" or Club Rival "For the fans".

Home, large favorite: for a second you are not a Relegation Battler, so look below...

The Tactician:

Away, large underdogs: same as the Relegation Battler, unless you are convinced you are stronger than pre-match odds give you credit for, then try to behave like a slight underdog (explained below). Make sure it doesn't backfire as it might do with unmoulded players (especially in the start of seasons). "Wish Luck" or "Pressure is off".

Away, slight underdog: The Capello 4-4-1-1 is always a safe choice (especially when you have good players). You can switch up to one of the tactics that implement Mentality setting (10-11) if you need to get a goal back. If you go down by two goals then I would try to see if Mentality (13-14) wouldn't work and see if I have a chance to get back into the game, but usually I wouldn't advise it before the 2nd half sometime. You can always switch to Athletico(6) late and use defensive fullbacks to protect leads. Alternative tactics: the Tapia_4-4-1-1 (safe choice), the Ancelotti_4-3-2-1(daring), and the Tapia_4-3-3(large gamble). "You can win this".

Away, slight favorite: Usually the safe assumption is to play as if you are a slight underdog. But lets say you need the win you might want to try out the Italy or the Benitez tactic. No need to change right away if you go down by one, but if nothing changes I will attempt the Claudio or the Brazil tactic around the 60th minute. Sometimes your match stats are with you and you will get one back, but if you see your opponent attack after you equalise then I might act like a slight underdog (above) and see if the game stabalises. Alternative tactics: Athletico(11) (safe choice), the Benitez_4-2-3-1 (daring), and the Mouinho(10) (large gamble). "You can win this" or Club Rival "For the fans".

Away, large favorite: Usually the safe assumption would be that you play as explained above in the slight favorite part. But if you think you are stonger and should blow your opposition away, then you can think like you are a Master Manager (explained below somewhere)...

Home, large underdog: then you would be taking the role of the either the Relegation Battler or act like you are a large favorite away from home (above).

Home, slight underdog/favorite: basically the same thing when you are at home ground. You want to go for the win against these type of teams, anyhow. The Argentina is a good solid tactic, and should be a good enough to match or overpower opponent. Usually there is no need to change tactics but always good to implement the defensive fullbacks late in games. Use the England'66 late in games when you have to (last 10 minutes). Alternative tactics: the Spalletti_4-2-3-1 (safe chioce), the Hiddink_4-3-3 (daring), and the Mouinho(15) or the SirALex with Closing Down tweaked to (15) and Defensive Line tweaked to (10) (large gambles). "We can win this".

Home, large favorites: I don't think it is a good idea to use the High Pressure tactics because if your team isn't strong enough compared to opponent you will fail. Safe choice is to start out with is acting like a slight favorite but changing up to high pressure tactics later on to see if your team can cope with settings and you can get one back (and even go for the win if your team can cope). "I expect a win" mostly, except some teams which are stronger in the league "We can win this".

The Master:

Away, large underdog: Basically not possible...

Away, slight underdog: The Capello is the safe choice, a good tactic to use away at some of the better teams in the league. Better teams play very well with this tactic, but the one that 'takes the cake' is the Ancelotti_4-3-2-1. Simply fantastic if this is your perferred formation (needs some adaptablility time -maybe some friendlies?-), great possession stats and general control of the game in all aspects (not for the untalented teams). Switch up to the Middle ideologies to get back in games, use defensive fullbacks to protect leads. Altenative tactics: the Tapia_4-4-1-1, the Tapia_4-3-3, and Ancelotti_4-3-2-1. "You can win tonight" or "For the fans", expect some players to perform.

Away, slight favorite: The Italy or the Benitez gets the job done. Go for the Claudio or the Brazil if you need to in 2nd half (Alternative: the MilanNormal or the Spalletti_4-2-3-1). Change down to slight underdog behavior in 2nd half to protect leads (especially 2 goal leads). Alterative tactics: Benitez_4-2-3-1, the Mourinho(10), and the Ancelotti_4-3-2-1*highly recommended. "We can win this" or "For the fans" and expect performances from key players.

Away, large favorite: The Claudio(Ranieri) is my safe choice but the Brazil tactic offers the best visual football. If the game is a walk in the park and the weather is good I will choose the Brazil. Claudio(Ranieri) can be played in basically all types of weather, change down to the Middle Ideologies if you are struggling but change down to slight underdog behavior after 60 minutes to protect leads. If you are confident go for 2 or more goal leads, but be wary of teams that have a few talented players in case. Alternative tactics: the MilanNormal, the Spalletti_4-2-3-1, or the Mourinho(13). "For the fans" expect performances from key players.

Home, large underdog: Basically not possible...

Home, slight underdog/slight favorite: Basically they are the same thing here. I think that the Argentina tactic doesn't really compliment Elite teams, that is why I suggest that you tweak the SirAlex to have Closing Down (15) and Defensive Line (10) against similar opponents (Elite). The safe choice is the Spalletti_4-2-3-1 or the Hiddink_4-3-3 which are good tactics in this circumstance. Don't go too defensive at home because pressure is not always what you need. Use the Argentina as a defensive outlook late in games (60 minutes +) if need be (defensive fullbacks late in games), or try out High Pressure tactics with the England'66 late in games (as usual). "For the fans", expect performances.

Home, large favorites: Time for the High Pressure tactics. The Arsene is a fantastic tactic to use when you are much better than opponent, a more relaxed tactic (safe choice) is the SirAlex and the MilanHighPress was meant for the wet matches. Alternative tactics: the Olsen_4-2-3-1, the Mourinho(15), or the Guardiola_4-3-3. "I expect a win" except maybe against Rival clubs: "For the fans".

The Cup Finals And Other Nuetral Pitch Matches: You can of course use the favorite or underdog roles described above, but you don't have to go that way if you don't want to. The tactics that I have found good to use are:

The Mourinho(13): Slight favorite assumption or a fan of the 4-3-3 formation. More close match stats, overpowering opponent football ploy.

The Brazil: Slight favorite assumption or fan of the 4-4-2. Lot's of chances to both sides (unless much stronger than opponent), attempting to play beautiful attacking football with lot's of drama.

The Argentina: Large favorite assumption or you need to get back into a game. 4-4-2 with lot's of getting forward type of football (not reccomended for all teams).

The Benitez_4-2-3-1: Close odds assumption or fan of the 4-2-3-1 tactic. A little more defensive outlook on the game and you are going more for the result then the style of play.

The Ancelotti_4-3-2-1: Close odds assumption or fan of the 4-3-2-1 tactic. You want to try and dominate the ball the whole game, leaving your opponent with less time to score. Absolute class.

The Capello: My favorite tactic regardless, due to the effectivity the tactic has both defensively and offensively. The more tactical type of game play and usually gets you the results, tactically strong but usually expect a close result. Enjoy...

Playing right now as Dorchester in BSS, I have read your tactical approach in the other thread a couple of days ago, printed it, and studied it again and again. Tried to implement your way of thinking, adapted it to my side, and I was getting pretty good results. Achieved a run of 10 unbeaten matches, won the FA Cup Round 1 vs. a CCL1 team, etc.

Right now, at the end of season 2, I'm struggling a bit. Still, winning enough games to keep me in the predicted and secured midtable, but loosing some games vs. worse placed teams in the last minute.

Nevertheless, your posts are a great read and something to understand well. Something to start with and built up on. Looking forward for this revised thread.

In your tactic pack, the Anchelotti is missing

I haven't included it yet. But Anchelotti (and others) will appear in the Alternative Formation tactics which I hope to complete in the near future. Spalletti, Mourinho and a few others will be included. I might post the tactics later tonight/tomorrow just so Users can take a look at them before I give the explainations...

I haven't included it yet. But Anchelotti (and others) will appear in the Alternative Formation tactics which I hope to complete in the near future. Spalletti, Mourinho and a few others will be included. I might post the tactics later tonight/tomorrow just so Users can take a look at them before I give the explainations...

look forward to it

Loversleaper ... I have to say that you are a real inspiration for a rookie Fm'mer like me ... although i play this game since CM3 incarnation but i have to say once the sliders were introduced i became lost with building my tactic and style and i have really struggled in that department .. but since your previous thread which worked well in 9.1 and 9.2 patches .. you have really inspired me and am really looking forward that you will enrich this thread more and help me among others getting a better understanding of the game. Thanks for your efforts, time and patience in helping others

Always a good read when you post something. Looking forward to see'ing what you have come up with now, but I think I'll wait until you have released everything and completed this before testing anything out or reading it fully! KUTGW! :)

lovesleeper, are they all 4-4-2? or can you turn them into different formations?

I have done so to some extent (don't always have too much time to experiment beyond my current time-frame), so I can't see why not? If you discover anything interresting, please feel free to share. Thanks...

I have done so to some extent (don't always have too much time to experiment beyond my current time-frame), so I can't see why not? If you discover anything interresting, please feel free to share. Thanks...

okey, ow long till you update?

okey, ow long till you update?

I really hope I can have them up by late tomorrow, but it might take a few days longer though. I like to be sure before I post things (testing, ect), as I don't want to be quessing in these matters. There is an Ancelotti tactic in the Alternative Tactic pack (I know you have posted a request of this tactic). In short there might be alternative Closing Down and Defensive Line settings and it is this part I want to be finished with first...

Lovesleeper, when all this is done, would it be easy to create my own tactic set following your instructions? As I would like to make a 4-3-2-1 set, similar to Ancelotti's Layout at AC Milan.

Do you reckon that I could or is this thread specifically for 4-4-2's?

Thank you for all of your hard work, you GENUIS.

note. How long till this thread is completed?

Your set has been working great for me defensively while playing arsenal first season, but I fail to score alot vs lower table teams. I usually play argentina when dry and claudio when wet. Is there any idea's that I could try to spice up my attacking game?

Your set has been working great for me defensively while playing arsenal first season, but I fail to score alot vs lower table teams. I usually play argentina when dry and claudio when wet. Is there any idea's that I could try to spice up my attacking game?

As Arsenal at Home against lower table teams I would always be playing one of the High Pressure tactics. Lower table clubs will most likely be playing incredibly defensive and you need to implement a higher closing down and defensive line to break down this type of opponent play. Try the Arsene against one of the bottem teams next time you are at home and see how it works out...

Just wanted to say that the Altenative Foramtion Tactic Packs are ready for download in post #2. They include 4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1 and 4-3-3 tactics with short tactical descriptions, so now I just have to finish the Strategy Part where I describe how to fully use the tactics and maybe show some instances of game play. Remember if any one is struggling finding out how to play (and has the energy/time to experiment with tactics) we can always look at next matches and see what can be done. Enjoy...

Hi Lovesleeper,

I'm a huge fan of your theories and I'm thrilled to see a new thread. I have always like the 4-3-2-1, and to see that you have posted it on here is a dream come true. what I wanted to ask though was, If I wanted to use them as simple plug and plays, then which one would you recommend for home and which for away. I understand If they cannot be used in that sense, but I thought I's ask never the less.

If they cannot be used in that way, then I inquire about the 4-3-3's. Can they be used in this sense, "plug and play"? If so which ones would you recommend?

Thanks a lot and congratulations on once again a brilliant thread. :D

Loversleaper

I've actually been experimenting with your initial tactics. I've kept them completely standard and all I change are player specific settings such as "Run with Ball", "Try Through Balls", etc. I've actually managed to shuffle it down to almost two tactics per "mentality" which I use. My most commonly used tactic has to be "The Claudio" as for English weather (I'm Chelsea) its a very very solid tactic. I generally will drop one of the MC's back by reducing their forward run's, Essien generally plays this role as he has "Arrive's Late in Oppositions Area" as a PPM which allows him to get involved should one of my Wingers drag their cross a little too much, or if the ball is not cleared properly from the box. I also have Drogba set to "The Powerful Striker" and he dictates the game from upfront, with Anelka playing off him to good effect, while Lampard is also in and around the area causing havoc as usual.

Anyhow, my main question is that I find I'm getting "over-powered" whenever I meet a team that use's a five man midfield, generally consisting of a DM with a flat four MR/L/C. They are clearly parking the bus and even if I up the tempo, the mantality and d-line, they control the game from the back and I struggle to break them down. I'm a consistent tinkerer as I like controlling the game completely, but I find that there is little to no reason as to why I'm getting played out the game by teams who park the bus.

Whenever this happens, I'll generally change to "The SirAlex", as my team isn't really gifted enough to play "The Arsene", and make the changes I listed above and they just absorb everything I throw at them. It's slowly driving me insane as, like I said, there is no reason why it's happening.

hey guys

i got from big friend who know football

tactic based on barcelona , evrey single player intructions true like he say.

the download

http://www.fileflyer.com/view/c3u1ACH

check it , maybe you can tweak it like in real life.

http://arsenalcolumn.wordpress.com/2008/12...best-in-europe/

informetion about their play

maybe soneone here could tweak the real play of real life?

i know there be loses but the beautiful football thats on really matter.

even with small teams

msg me back

Loversleaper and Corkey

thanks

hey guys

i got from big friend who know football

tactic based on barcelona , evrey single player intructions true like he say.

the download

http://www.fileflyer.com/view/c3u1ACH

check it , maybe you can tweak it like in real life.

http://arsenalcolumn.wordpress.com/2008/12...best-in-europe/

informetion about their play

maybe soneone here could tweak the real play of real life?

i know there be loses but the beautiful football thats on really matter.

even with small teams

msg me back

Loversleaper and Corkey

thanks

your welcome, but what did I do? :p

Intercept: I would try to use the Arsene if you have to play 4-4-2. (18) Mentality might be the solution. Other then that, I tend to use the 4-2-3-1_Olsen against the Defensive 4-1-4-1 (park the bus), as the players are naturally positioned higher up the pitch. The three pushed up midfielders (AML,AMC and AMR) should do trick, and the 5 players you have in midfield should help in gaining possession.

Lovesleeper, can you repley to my question?

thank you.

I am not really the "plug in and play" type. I think it is very difficult to play the same way all the time. You will be playing differently if you are battling relegation then you would if you were a world class club going for honours. If you are bringing a club through the ranks you have to be able to change things around, because there is a huge difference if opposition teams are attacking or defending against you. If you have time you could either read the Tactical Central thread which has ideas on how one can go about choosing tactics, or wait untill I have completed the strategy part. Already above I have basic descriptions when the tactics can be used, and it is all about what type of style you as a User would like to play. There is plenty to choose from but I suggest as a minimum that you have a Defensive, a Normal, and an Attacking tactic that follows the ideology behind the FM tactical reality...

I am not really the "plug in and play" type. I think it is very difficult to play the same way all the time. You will be playing differently if you are battling relegation then you would if you were a world class club going for honours. If you are bringing a club through the ranks you have to be able to change things around, because there is a huge difference if opposition teams are attacking or defending against you. If you have time you could either read the Tactical Central thread which has ideas on how one can go about choosing tactics, or wait untill I have completed the strategy part. Already above I have basic descriptions when the tactics can be used, and it is all about what type of style you as a User would like to play. There is plenty to choose from but I suggest as a minimum that you have a Defensive, a Normal, and an Attacking tactic that follows the ideology behind the FM tactical reality...

okeyy.

what I thought would work is:

Home: Hiddink

Away: Tapia

Get a Goal: England 66'

Shut Up Shop: ?

What are your thoughts on that?

Basically, I would personally add the Italy or Benitez (Mentality 10) for those instances where you need to be more attacking away from home or be more defensive at home (usually used during games).

yes, but I want to use the same shape :D, are any of the Mourinho's similar to the Italy and Beneitez?

yes, but I want to use the same shape :D, are any of the Mourinho's similar to the Italy and Beneitez?

Just noticed that, but yes... use the Mourinho(10) or 4-2-3-1_Benitez. The shut up shop you can change the 4-4-2 formation to 4-4-1-1, just remember to tweak the AMC to fit the description in the player instruction part.

loversleaper , could u answer also my saying?

I took a look, and the sliders do kind of represent what can be done tactically in real life, but let's remember this is a simulated game. The settings in this thread mimics pretty much how I see the Manager's in FM09 play their tactics, but I changed around with a few things that, through testing, proved to be quite stable. The 4-3-3Zagallo that I downloaded from the link in your post is a very attacking tactic, so it would be a good tactic for home matches against weaker opposition. I couldn't imagine this tactic could work for everygame though, but if you implement it at the right times, then I guess it could work quite nicely. Unfortunatly I don't have too much time, as usually when I have time to test tactics I am testing the ones writen in this thread. I hope I answered your question...

Lovesleeper, so what do you think my plan should be?

ie.

Home (Heavy Favourates): Guadiola

Home (Slight Favourates): Hiddink

Away (Slight Underdogs): Mourinho (10)

Away (Heavy Underdogs): Tapia

Get A Goal: England 66'

Shut up Shop: Benetez

is that it?

Lovesleeper, so what do you think my plan should be?

ie.

Home (Heavy Favourates): Guadiola

Home (Slight Favourates): Hiddink

Away (Slight Underdogs): Mourinho (10)

Away (Heavy Underdogs): Tapia

Get A Goal: England 66'

Shut up Shop: Benetez

is that it?

Home (heavy favorite): Guardiola

Home (close odds): Hiddink

Home (heavy underdog): Mourinho(10)

Away (heavy favorite): Mourinho(10)/(13)

Away (close odds): Tapia

Away (heavy underdog): Allegri/Athletico

Get a goal (last 10 minutes): England'66

Shut up shop (last 15 minutes): Allegri/Athletico with no forward runs on full backs + crossing from deep.

Home (heavy favorite): Guardiola

Home (close odds): Hiddink

Home (heavy underdog): Mourinho(10)

Away (heavy favorite): Mourinho(10)/(13)

Away (close odds): Tapia

Away (heavy underdog): Allegri/Athletico

Get a goal (last 10 minutes): England'66

Shut up shop (last 15 minutes): Allegri/Athletico with no forward runs on full backs + crossing from deep.

thank you :D

The general set-up, yes. Personally I use a few more tactics, but those mentioned covers pretty much all aspects of the tactical side of the game...

okeyy, saying that, then I think I will use this plan for every game on FM from here till FM10...

but will this work at all levels of the game, from Serie C to Champions League to International?

Edit: I know this is too early to say, but I'm Hull and had chelsea 2nd game away and were got dominated. All we had was 1 blocked shot to their 22 shots and 5 CCC's. Is that normal, because In real life, I swear that when Hull played at Stamford Bridge last season they played better than that......

LL Nice Job ... am testing your 433 and 4321-4231 and i am really impressed with results (i am managing my beloved Chelsea Team btw without any transfers for the first seasons) .. i have a question though ... can i use the 442 mentality sets to build more 433 formations ?? what do you think ??

LL Nice Job ... am testing your 433 and 4321-4231 and i am really impressed with results (i am managing my beloved Chelsea Team btw without any transfers for the first seasons) .. i have a question though ... can i use the 442 mentality sets to build more 433 formations ?? what do you think ??

I personally find it too hard to play with lower Mentality and 4-3-3 forrmation. That is why I suggest you use the Three Mourinho's (especially as chelsea). If you notice there are small passing rules that link up with the formation and Width. But I think (with some thought) you could make other workable tactics, and that is the point of the tactics shown in this thread (my intention at least) that there are many options when making tactics. As long as they follow certain patterns (passing/tempo/width) and you understand the Mentality Reality in FM´s ME then I can't see why they shouldn't be able to work. I think it might be possible to use the settings in Athletico(6) but change the formation to a 4-1-4-1 (flat midfield). But usually defensive formations need more than 1 player above the midfield line to have any real goal threat, and that is why I have chosen the 4-4-1-1, the 4-3-2-1 and the 4-4-2 as defensive formation options...

This thread has provided a missing link for me, so thank you.

I had previously been using global settings for everything, and success came quite easily. I then experimented with role theory and fell short.

The optimimum, so far (for me), is to use global mentalities (6, 9, 12 and 15 when I am a heavy favourite), with a loose version of role theory applied to closing down (DC = 9, FB = 12 and Rest =15), tight marking (mentality 6 = midfield and defence, mentality 9 = defence and MC(d) and mentality 12 = DC only) and creative freedom (12 for creative players and 9 for the rest).

Global was too rigid, and role theory was too loose, this compromise has unlocked a new level of performance.

Great post but your attention to wingers could use some work.

These tactics can all be considered base set-ups for building tactics. The styles that I have set-up are more of the 'cautious' type of football, wingers shouldn't be underperforming with the instructions mentioned in post#1 though. But if you feel that somethings should be added, please feel free to include any input. I always appreciate any progress. Thanks...

I personally find it too hard to play with lower Mentality and 4-3-3 forrmation. That is why I suggest you use the Three Mourinho's (especially as chelsea). If you notice there are small passing rules that link up with the formation and Width. But I think (with some thought) you could make other workable tactics, and that is the point of the tactics shown in this thread (my intention at least) that there are many options when making tactics. As long as they follow certain patterns (passing/tempo/width) and you understand the Mentality Reality in FM´s ME then I can't see why they shouldn't be able to work. I think it might be possible to use the settings in Athletico(6) but change the formation to a 4-1-4-1 (flat midfield). But usually defensive formations need more than 1 player above the midfield line to have any real goal threat, and that is why I have chosen the 4-4-1-1, the 4-3-2-1 and the 4-4-2 as defensive formation options...

In your old version, I made an Athletico (5) 4-3-3 that worked pretty well; I found that raising the closing down on the DMC while also changing his FWR to "Rare" helped out a lot. He'd hunt for more balls in the midfield, but he wouldn't go much further than that. It did, however, work best when I used the same settings for a 4-5-1; the two outside MCs were the MCas, the middle MC was the MCd with no FWR and high CD. It's an incredibly negative game to watch, but it became my default tactic as Grasshopper in the CL group stages.

These tactics can all be considered base set-ups for building tactics. The styles that I have set-up are more of the 'cautious' type of football, wingers shouldn't be underperforming with the instructions mentioned in post#1 though. But if you feel that somethings should be added, please feel free to include any input. I always appreciate any progress. Thanks...

The only thing I would add to your great topic is the the variation in Winger behaviour that is caused by Width, Footedness and Forward Runs.

Examples would be:

The Wide Playmaker: FWR Mixed, TTB Often, Width Wide, Favoured Foot Left playing on the Right Flank.

Traditional Winger: FWR Mixed, RWB Often, Cross Ball Often + From Byline, Width Wide, Favoured Foot Left playing on the Left Flank.

Winger/Striker: FWR Often, RWB Often, Width Narrow, Favoured Foot Left playing on the Right Flank.

It is a great series of posts, I just think that Winger behaviour contains some "profound subtleties" that are worth mentioning.

Archived