Genoa FC - The Suprise Package FM09 Thread

Genoa_cfc.png

genoa-home-shirt.jpg

genoa-away-shirt.jpg

Brief History

Genoa Cricket and Football Club, commonly referred to as simply Genoa, is an Italian professional football club based in the city of Genoa, Liguria. Although the athletics and cricket club was founded in 1893 by Englishmen as a British sporting club abroad, whose membership was allowed to British citizens exclusively, the footballing section of the club was opened in 1897 by James Richardson Spensley making it the oldest of its kind still active in Italy.

During their long history, Genoa have won the Italian Football Championship nine times, although the early editions of the title were awarded after a one-day tournament involving four, five or six clubs which disputed several matches in the space of a single day. Genoa's first title came at the inaugural championship in 1898 and their last was in 1923–24. It also won the Coppa Italia once. Historically, Genoa is the tenth most successful club in Italian football by points and matches, though they are the fourth most successful in terms of championships won.

The club has played its home games at the 36,536 capacity Stadio Luigi Ferraris since 1911. Since 1946, the ground has been shared with local rivals Sampdoria. Genoa has spent most of its post-war history going up and down between Serie A and Serie B, with also a brief spell in Serie C. After a long story of bad management and an alleged corruption-related scandal, Genoa is now back playing in Serie A

Squad and Key Team Information

GK: Rubinho (First Team Choice)

GK: Eugenio Lamanna (Poor Prospect)

GK: Alesso Scarpi (Aging Goalkeeper)

So it might be worth it to bring in a back up keeper as Rubinho is quite good

DF: Domenico Criscito (on loan from Juve, looks a good player)

DF: Sokratis Papastathopouols (great defender and starts off as Genoa's best imo, will be a beast at corners)

DF: Matteo Ferrari (former Roma defender and again looks very good, mental stats would hamper him though)

DF: Anthony Vanden Borre (his natural positions are MC & WBR so he is a defender but i would look to play him as a holding midfielder or possibly retrain as a winger)

DF: Giuseppe Biava (31 year old centre half and again looks good has a worryingly attack minded PPM though)

So as it seems Genoa have no real full backs of note so depending on how you would like to play i would sign some full backs (personally i will be trying out a 3-5-2 formation which i expect to flop)

MF: Giandomenico Mesto (co-owned with Reggina amd probably the clubs best right sided midfielder, would try and sign on a proper deal)

MF: Bosko Jankovic (on loan from Palermo and his contract runs out of the end of the season, might be worth signing as he looks solid)

MF: Omar Milanetto (vice captain and looks to be the creative force in the team although is aging at 32 and turns 33 before janaury, contract runs out and should sign up again

MF: Marco Rossi (club captain and is a average squad member)

MF: Marcel Roman (young prospect who can play on the right or in the middle, would be worth retaining him to left wing for vestility sakes)

MF: Ivan Juric (aging croatian but looks creative but then hard working)

MF: Thiago Motta (best midfielder at the club but a long shot and should be given a nice long contract at the start of the game, one of the best players in the team)

MF: Matteo Paro (good solid back up rotational player)

So as you can see they have a midfield strong in creativeness and depth, but a good few are old)

ST: Ruben Olivera (2 good feet but lacks pace to partner the world class Milito)

ST: Raffaele Palladino (co-owned with Juve and would be advised to sign him up if possible, young, italian and looks good)

ST: Diego Milito (best player at the club by a long long way, expect to fend off offers for him but maybe look to sell if he peaks and gets a nice vaule as he is 29)

So as you can see (gotta stop using that) you don't have many strikers at the club, but there are a few in the reserves on co-ownerships that might be worth signing)

Money wise you start off with £16M in the balance but no loans and £5M transfer money so spending will have to be wise and thats if you go with a top half finish, up to winner with 8M to spend, the clubs prediction is 10th which with the squad it already has is well in its reach, you also have a very nice sized stadium which i'm sure can be expanded in the future...

Not sure what else to put so i will just say, good luck to whoever plays as Genoa and hopefully you can match the same success they have had this season although granted they have lost Milito & Motta to Inter IRL next season :(

Good Luck

Seems i'm gonna be getting rid of alot of old ish players and replacing with a very very young side which i fear for in Serie A :(

hopfully playign a 5 man midfield will allow us to control teams but with the season starting against Juve i doubt it...

Genoa_cfc.png

genoa-home-shirt.jpg

genoa-away-shirt.jpg

Brief History

Genoa Cricket and Football Club, commonly referred to as simply Genoa, is an Italian professional football club based in the city of Genoa, Liguria. Although the athletics and cricket club was founded in 1893 by Englishmen as a British sporting club abroad, whose membership was allowed to British citizens exclusively, the footballing section of the club was opened in 1897 by James Richardson Spensley making it the oldest of its kind still active in Italy.

During their long history, Genoa have won the Italian Football Championship nine times, although the early editions of the title were awarded after a one-day tournament involving four, five or six clubs which disputed several matches in the space of a single day. Genoa's first title came at the inaugural championship in 1898 and their last was in 1923–24. It also won the Coppa Italia once. Historically, Genoa is the tenth most successful club in Italian football by points and matches, though they are the fourth most successful in terms of championships won.

The club has played its home games at the 36,536 capacity Stadio Luigi Ferraris since 1911. Since 1946, the ground has been shared with local rivals Sampdoria. Genoa has spent most of its post-war history going up and down between Serie A and Serie B, with also a brief spell in Serie C. After a long story of bad management and an alleged corruption-related scandal, Genoa is now back playing in Serie A

Squad and Key Team Information

GK: Rubinho (First Team Choice)

GK: Eugenio Lamanna (Poor Prospect)

GK: Alesso Scarpi (Aging Goalkeeper)

So it might be worth it to bring in a back up keeper as Rubinho is quite good

DF: Domenico Criscito (on loan from Juve, looks a good player)

DF: Sokratis Papastathopouols (great defender and starts off as Genoa's best imo, will be a beast at corners)

DF: Matteo Ferrari (former Roma defender and again looks very good, mental stats would hamper him though)

DF: Anthony Vanden Borre (his natural positions are MC & WBR so he is a defender but i would look to play him as a holding midfielder or possibly retrain as a winger)

DF: Giuseppe Biava (31 year old centre half and again looks good has a worryingly attack minded PPM though)

So as it seems Genoa have no real full backs of note so depending on how you would like to play i would sign some full backs (personally i will be trying out a 3-5-2 formation which i expect to flop)

MF: Giandomenico Mesto (co-owned with Reggina amd probably the clubs best right sided midfielder, would try and sign on a proper deal)

MF: Bosko Jankovic (on loan from Palermo and his contract runs out of the end of the season, might be worth signing as he looks solid)

MF: Omar Milanetto (vice captain and looks to be the creative force in the team although is aging at 32 and turns 33 before janaury, contract runs out and should sign up again

MF: Marco Rossi (club captain and is a average squad member)

MF: Marcel Roman (young prospect who can play on the right or in the middle, would be worth retaining him to left wing for vestility sakes)

MF: Ivan Juric (aging croatian but looks creative but then hard working)

MF: Thiago Motta (best midfielder at the club but a long shot and should be given a nice long contract at the start of the game, one of the best players in the team)

MF: Matteo Paro (good solid back up rotational player)

So as you can see they have a midfield strong in creativeness and depth, but a good few are old)

ST: Ruben Olivera (2 good feet but lacks pace to partner the world class Milito)

ST: Raffaele Palladino (co-owned with Juve and would be advised to sign him up if possible, young, italian and looks good)

ST: Diego Milito (best player at the club by a long long way, expect to fend off offers for him but maybe look to sell if he peaks and gets a nice vaule as he is 29)

So as you can see (gotta stop using that) you don't have many strikers at the club, but there are a few in the reserves on co-ownerships that might be worth signing)

Money wise you start off with £16M in the balance but no loans and £5M transfer money so spending will have to be wise and thats if you go with a top half finish, up to winner with 8M to spend, the clubs prediction is 10th which with the squad it already has is well in its reach, you also have a very nice sized stadium which i'm sure can be expanded in the future...

Not sure what else to put so i will just say, good luck to whoever plays as Genoa and hopefully you can match the same success they have had this season although granted they have lost Milito & Motta to Inter IRL next season :(

Good Luck

Good OP Barnetboyz!

I have good experience with a 3-5-2, so here's some tips. Maybe try setting Criscito as a playmaker defender in your back 3. It could help with retaining posession, and stop your CB's from needlessly giving the ball away. Also keep the mentalities of the whole team close together, and the width fairly narrow or you could easily get stretched out and hit on the counter by the big boys.

Finally picked a team in Italy to play, my 1st question is

what place do I need to finish to qualify for a European cup? I picked top half finish and cup, so I could get 10 mil to spend

I sold Matteo to Leece for 3.3 mil

Sculli to Reggina for 1.4 mil

I bought Mariano Pavone for 3.8 mil

Santon 1.1 mil

Criscito for 4 mil

Ekdal came in as a loan

So I run a 4-1-3-2

Won a friendly 11-0 lol

Hi, I have started a game with Genoa. So far my transfers in are Criscito (Full Ownership) and Santon. Paloschi wouldn't come, will try again in the winter. could do with a striker on loan to cover for Milito.

• 1 month later...

Finally gave my savegame a go and so far I'm doing very well sitting in 2nd place after 10 games with 7 wins and 3 draw. (including a 1-1 at San Siro v Inter and and a 2-1 win over Roma at home).

I followed some of the transfers suggestions here and brought in Santon, Criscito and Mariano Pavone (good buy so far). I got a cash injection of ~6M at the beginning of november and am looking to strengthen the squad in the winter transfer window.

Basically I need a RB and a DM. Any suggestions?

Woooohoo...seems like I cope with the thread title. After 26 matches I am sitting on top of the standings 1 point ahead of Roma. :) Diego Milito is leading the goal scorer standings with 15 goals and is overall having a good season as he also contributed 7 assists.

A little update: Finished the 1st season in 4th place which guaranteed as a place in next season's Champions League campaign. After I posted that we were on top of the standings we got into a little slump and went on a 5 game streak without a victory mainly due to Milito's goal drought. I am pleased with how well the season went and hope to improve in the 2nd season.

I got a 36M transfer budget which I'll need since I look to strengthen a lot of positions (basically all positions on the wings).

AC Milan made a 11M bid for Mariano Pavone and i am wondering if I should sell or keep him. I bought him for 3.8 and he played a good season scoring 17 goals with and avg rating of 7.10.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello (:

Decided to start a Genoa save, never managed in Italy before, but I do like the atmosphere over there in Italy, and after much thought I have decided to pick Genoa as my Italian team, after doing some research on them :)

Anyway, started on 9.0.3 and decided not to do any transfer dealings in the summer transfer what so ever, as I wanted to see how the team performed, not doing too bad I must admit, 8th in the Serie A just coming up to the January transfer window, Milito is top scorer in my team which is what I expected.

genoateam1.th.png

That is my team that I currently play and the formation, as you can see it is 3-4-1-2, I would be playing full backs usually but Barnet said they don't really have good full backs, so im thinking of Santon, as he is a cheap option and also someone like Potenza maybe, he is average and Italian, which I am looking for.

83645736.th.png

That is the current league table, and I think I could have a chance of finishing in the top 4, aslong as nothing bad happens.

So, I have around 5mill for the season, Santon will set me back about 1mill and could do with another decent striker to partner Milito upfront, give him 6th months to gel in and will be ready for the new season, and could also do with some more midfielders, as there is hardly any back-up, I have signed Thiago Motta on a long term contract, and also thinking of letting Milanetto go on a bosman, as the wage budget is quite tight.

I will keep you updated and hopefully you could give me some suggestions, and get more people to do a save with genoa :)

Keep up the good work, three at the back. :eek:

Lewandowski perhaps for the striker option? Laurito or Paloschi would be another option but those are on loan for the first season. :( Or a cheeky bid for Eugene Seleznyov?

Otherwise what about Sankharé? Feghouli? Ochirosii? Per Ciljan Skjelbred?

Genoa. :cool:

How much money do they start out with? Do you get more in you ask for it?

Got 17mill in the abnk, making 11mill profit this month and 5.47mill, same budget since beginning because no transfers what so ever and also I dont want to ask for more because I want healthy finances :p

HoPeY

I did get an offer accepted on Paloschi however he won't accept my contract, however depending where I finish he might come at the end of the season :) but I'm leaning towards Laurito as I have never had him but I have heard he becomes good, maybe he would be a good replacement for Milito, also taking a look at Ochirosii.

deejay10

Having a look at Floccari, could be avalable on the cheap at the end of the season I think, not doing too well, but he has quite good stats, could be one of them consistant ones. I'll try that Modesto and Mesto at wing back when away from home, would make me more defensivly sound, especially against the bigger teams.

I had a fantastic game going with Genoa but unfortunately I lost it when my old computer died and it is beyond repair. I would have loved to show you screenshots of my team and achievements. Genoa has alot of potential and the club is capable of becoming a top club in Italy and abroad, although unfortunately the stadium can't be expanded. In my first season I did not do too well (finished 9th IIRC), however I qualified for the Uefa Cup second season and in the 3rd I won the league.

If you need a striker sign Salvatore Foti from Sampdoria. He starts the game on loan at a Serie B club but it's worth waiting too sign him as he is simply immense. If you wait until January before you bid you can normally sign him for a bargin £1.2million. In the 3rd season of my game he is 1st choice ST for the Italian national team as is his strike partner Baotelli who I signed as he got unhappy as Mourinho only played him once in the first team second season. Once you get into Europe you will be able to sign many excellent players.

Also Genoa have two promising youngsters on loan at Serie B clubs Stefano Raggio Garibaldi and Forisetini (sp) who if your lucky will become good players.

Those who started a Genoa game made an excellent decision to sign Cristico. Despite not having great attacking stats IMO he plays best as a LB, he can become a natural for that position if trained to play there.

For those looking for a RB Mattia Cassani of Palermo always does an excellent job for me for any Serie A club.

Although I can't post a screenshot here from memory is my squad during the fourth season:

GK's:

Igor Akifneev

Andrea Consgli (Discovered him when I played as Atalanta, excellent player, after a season all the big Serie A clubs were after him)

Vincenzo Fiorino (sp? the guy from Sampdoria)

RB's:

Mattia Cassini

Davide Santon (also plays many games at MR)

Marco Motta

LB's:

Domencio Cristico

Alexzander Kolerov (from Lazio makes alot of assists & scores spectacular goals, highly recommended)

CB's:

Cristian Zapata

Sokratis Papastathopouols

Fabiano Santocroce

Faorini (sp, from Lazio)

DM:

Francesco Bolzoni (a must sign IMO)

Daniele Dessena

CM's:

Diego (the one from Werder Bremen)

Luca Cigirini

Garribaldi

LM's:

Sebastian Giovinco

Simon Vucinic

RM's:

Davide Lanzafame

Santon

St's:

Salvatore Foti

Mario Baotilli

Roberto Acqufresca

Pablo Osvaldo

All also had a number of good players out on loan such as Luis Jimenez and Fernando Foriestini, plus a number of excellent young italian regens.

Nice team you had there Matthew, how good does that greek CB do, i've heard he becomes good, just that Fiorientina keep offering 3.2 mill to co-own, and he plays for me for 2 seasons, however then the future fee is around 7mill.

On my save I'm now coming to the end of January transfers, and brought in a few additions, ill show you once transfer window is iver...is Jankovic worth getting on a permanent deal? He has scored some crackers for me.

The Greek CB is a very good player, don't accept any offers to co-own him. You don't want to risk losing him. I even turned down an offer of £15M from Inter for him. He was first choice CB along with Zapata for me.

You should definetely sign Jankovic. He was a regular for me until I sold him just before the 4th season started to Udinese for £9million. Very versatile and you can get him on a free as well when his contract expires at the end of the season, so you don't even need to pay the agreed fee. He is also very professional and is a good example to the younger players in the squad. He never complained even when he didn't play that much due to Giovinco. From second season onwards he was my vice-captain.

Right guys, just finished my first season as Genoa manager, finishing 9th, 1 plave above the media prediction, and they have decided to offer me a new contract for 2 years, so I happily accepted as I am currently enjoying managing them.

After my recent post in this thread my strikers had a woeful time, Milito and Palladino couldnt score for toffee, however towards the end Milito started scoring again, got about 5 in 3, so not too bad, finished the season on 21 goals iirc, and now Arsenal, liverpool, Barcelona, AC Milan, Chelsea and Tottenham want him, his value has gone up to 9mill, if someone comes in with the right offer i dont really know what to do because he is a legend at Genoa irl, and I do like him as a player.

January transfers in.

Domenico Criscito Juve 4.4mill (his value went up and so I had to pay a bit more for him, but well worth the money)

Bosko Jankovic Palermo Free (was on loan to me, and I was going to buy him but then I realised his contract ran out at end of season, so picked him up on a free)

Davide Santon Inter 950K (well you all know about him so don't really need to say much)

Ochirosii Bucherest? 250K (This guy is immense, 2 games, 2goals, 2 assists, 2 MoM when I signed him, and his stats keep rocketing up, one of the signings of January)

Paulinho Internacional 450K (looks decent, scount reckons 4star for the future, has decent DM attributes, could be a bargain)

At the end of the season I decided to let Mialnetto, Juric and a few others have their contracts run out, this would free up a bit of wages, however I know that Milanetto was very good, so I will need someone to replace him.

Brought in Laurito for around 1.4million I think (cant remember as Im currently at work), so he will add strength to my attack with Milito and Palladino, and I'm also thinking of bringing in Foti, that would mean I have 4 strikers which aren't too bad, Im also thinking of bringing in Feghoulli, his team got relagated and could be availiable for around 1mill, which is a good price, considering on other saves i paid over 5mill for him in 1st season.

Still playing the 3-4-1-2 formation, and dropping my to wingers (Mesto and Modesto) to wong backs, in the bigger games away from home, and also going to play Santon a bit more this season, I could do with another CB as it looks like Ferrari could be moving away this summer, and also a better keeper as I find that Rubinho can't hold on to as many shots, and then other team score from the rebound. And apart from that like mentioned earlier some CM's to replace those leaving.

Board have given me 12.5mill to spend this season, but I reckon I could ask for more, and I can also use the budget adjustment if needed.

Any advice would be appreciated :) If there is anything you want to know ask me.

P.S. I'll try and get some screenies up later when I finish work.

Archived