Antonio Conte 3-5-2 (3-4-4)

Conte’s 3-5-2/3-3-4

Following the reading of the system Conte plays I wanted to start shaping my team to play like his teams do. I watched some videos to gain some knowledge of the system and how it works and this is what I have seen.

Attacking Phase

I am going to begin by looking at the attacking phase which is often referred to as the 3-3-4 phase of Conte's system. Below is a picture of how the formation looks in the attacking phase.

mtm3iw.png

Looking at the image we can see that during the attacking phase which starts from the end of a defensive phase we have a GK, 3 CB's, a midfield 3 comprising of 2 MC's and a DM, two advanced WB's and 2 ST's.

The Goalkeeper and 3 Center Backs

It is the Goalkeeper and 3 Center Backs that we shall start with. Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli. This is where it all begins.

If we start by looking at how the attacking phase begins it happens so by the Goalkeeper (Buffon) distributing the ball (fig.2) to any of the 3 Center Backs (Chiellini, Bonucci or Barzagli) (GK PI’s: Distribute to CB’s, Roll It Out, Shorter Passing and Fewer Risky Passes)

fig.2

2qastix.png

Once one of the three centerbacks are in possession of the ball they will begin passing it between themselves as shown by the diagram (fig.3). This is to build possession from the back (TI: Play out of Defence).

fig.3

20rpcsn.png

Once the defence see an option for a penetrating pass they will try to execute it. There are 6 players of whom can make penetrating runs and they are Pogba, Vidal, Lichsteiner, Asamoah, Tevez or Llorente (represented by the black line fig.4) In seeing that the defenders are trying to make a long penetrative pass bypassing Pirlo (in this instance shown by the red lines fig.4) it would suggest the following two PI’s should be used for the defenders: More Risky Passes and Direct Passing.

fig.4

w02hdj.png

Because it is sometimes tough for the Center Backs to make these penetrative passes they may pass it off to Pirlo in the hope he can find a pass (Passing options shown in diagram fig.5). He will either pass it to the MC’s, the Wing Backs or the strikers. More Risky Passes and Mixed Passing I believe should be used here but I may be wrong.

fig.5

2v0hopi.png

Translating into FM

xp1v1t.png

This is how I have started off. Ideally I would have 3 Ball Playing Defenders however I don't believe this would be possible as it would mean 4 creative roles including Pirlo. I fear too many creative roles will get players confused. I have noticed however that the only way to get center backs to play more risky and direct passes is to have them as BPD's so I will have to see how I go.

I will update with more tomorrow.

Update

Since the previous post, I have had a look at some threads about building a tactic. I decided I wanted to stay true to the Conte System so I employed 3 Ball Playing Defenders. In front I opted to play Pirlo as a Regista as he is the hub where people can feed back to for him to recycle possession.

The wingbacks have both been given the Role and Duty of WB(A). I was going to play them in the midfield strata at MR/L but I thought that would be detrimental to the defensive side of the tactic. Ideally you want a flat back 5 in defense and I thought that playing them at MR/L they wouldn't track back enough. I have noted a potential problem with the Role and Duty I have selected for the WBL. I will go into more detail with that in a minute.

Into central midfield I have played it safe for the moment and selected both midfielders to be CM(S), however I am noticing they don't come back as far as I would like in the defensive phase nor do they contribute much in the attacking phase. Need to look at that and I am open to suggestions.

With the strikers I have been tinkering a bit but the DLF(S) and DF(D) is what I have at the moment. 2 goals between them in 6 games really isn't enough but I am creating the clear cut chances. May need changes here as well.

Here is how the formation looks.

o5rmsk.png

Now with 4 specialized roles (3 BPD and 1 Regista) I have decided to use a Structured Team Shape and I am playing a Control Strategy.

2jaxj87.png

The team has a lower tempo as I want possession to be retained. The team has been told to prevent Short GK Distribution in order for the opposition GK to attempt a long pass which we can intercept. I have told the team to be more expressive as I want players such as Pirlo, Bonucci, Chiellini and Rugani the opportunity to find the right pass. I have used Play Out of Defence as that is how Conte tells his teams to play. Stay on feet is used so the WB's do not get out of position in the defensive phase attempting to tackle a player higher up the pitch.

PI's:

Buffon (GK): Pass it Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes, Distribute to Centre Backs, Roll it Out, Slow Pace Down. (Makes Buffon only go for a pass to the CB's which is what I want.)

Lichtsteiner, Asamoah (WB): Stay Wider (Seems to help widen the back 5 in the defensive phase)

Pirlo (RGA): Shoot Less Often, Dribble Less, Close Down Less, Tackle Harder, More Direct Passes, More Risky Passes. (I want him to float just making passes, no shooting, no dribbling. He has tackle harder as from research Pirlo was not afraid to make a tackle to break opposition attacks. More Risky passes and Direct passes allows him to make his own decisions with high vision and passing.

Pogba (CM): Move into channels, Get further forward (I want him to support the strikers, move into channels was done with the intention of creating lateral movement to open space for the BPD's to pass straight to the Strikers)

Vidal (CM): Move into channels (As above)

Dybala and Morata (ST): Pass it shorter, Close down more - (Dybala) (Pass it shorter done with the intention of cutting out direct passes which were losing me possesion. Close down more was used to press the goalkeeper alongside TI of Prevent Short GK Distribution)

Going to post some heat maps later but it seems on the defensive phase Asamoah does not come back as far as Lichtsteiner into the defence which I do not know why. In my last game Candreva had a field day because of the space.

fozu2w.png

Games highlighted were where the tactic was used. Slight alterations have been made to the striker roles over the different games but not much else.

Food for thought/Your suggestions.

1) Why is Asamoah staying further forward than Lichtsteiner.

2) How do we get more goals from the front two

3) Should the midfield roles be changed, can we get lateral movement?

very good thread, when fm16 came out i made i brilliant tactic inspired by Sampaoli/Pochettino. I know they're not conte! but the way i set the team out to your is actually quite similar;as i cant post the pictures ill just type it out:

SK (D)

BPD(D)

BPD(D)

HB(D)

W(S)

B2B(S)

RP(S)

W(S)

AM(A)

CF(S)

AF(A)

My attacking trio and 2 CM were set to close down more to attempt to win the ball back from the front. The tactic was absolutely great, i used it with my spurs squad and we comfortably won the league smashing teams.

The reason for me commenting on the thread is because I used wingers in the ML/MR strata, they were so pivitol in my my success although the only downside was that most of my goals were from crosses; however i combated this by playing defenders who were good at heading and had a high jumping reach.

Was looking to setup a 352 formation and found your thread (and the other one I think you referenced). I should start off by pointing out that I'm playing as Sheffield Wednesday in a new save so don't quite have the same technical standard available!!!

I've very much based my GK and back 3 on your inputs + having now read your update I've also swapped from a DM to a Regista. You talked about struggling to get much from the midfielders and strikers and this is actually where I've managed to make some progress (largely based on the bits from the other thread)... I don't know a huge amount about Conte's system so it's entirely possible by doing these I'm moving away from the way he plays, however...

For the central two I have a CM/A on the left and a BWM/S on the right (this is balanced to offset I use a CWB/A on the right side rather than the WB/A on the left). Up front I've gone with a DLF/S on the right and a AF/A on the left.

Joao on the left up front is top scorer and banging them in - I'm not getting many goals from the midfielders but they're definitely pushing up a lot more than when I had other roles in there.

Really enjoying playing around with this one - I used to play 352 in the good old CM days! Great thread, hope this may help a bit & keen to see how you get it evolving!

Was looking to setup a 352 formation and found your thread (and the other one I think you referenced). I should start off by pointing out that I'm playing as Sheffield Wednesday in a new save so don't quite have the same technical standard available!!!

I've very much based my GK and back 3 on your inputs + having now read your update I've also swapped from a DM to a Regista. You talked about struggling to get much from the midfielders and strikers and this is actually where I've managed to make some progress (largely based on the bits from the other thread)... I don't know a huge amount about Conte's system so it's entirely possible by doing these I'm moving away from the way he plays, however...

For the central two I have a CM/A on the left and a BWM/S on the right (this is balanced to offset I use a CWB/A on the right side rather than the WB/A on the left). Up front I've gone with a DLF/S on the right and a AF/A on the left.

Joao on the left up front is top scorer and banging them in - I'm not getting many goals from the midfielders but they're definitely pushing up a lot more than when I had other roles in there.

Really enjoying playing around with this one - I used to play 352 in the good old CM days! Great thread, hope this may help a bit & keen to see how you get it evolving!

I am only beginning to get to grips with how he plays myself. There certainly is alot to learn. I am going to try these tweaks that you have recommended. Whether or not we would be stepping away from Conte's system I am not sure, I will need to research it a bit more thoroughly. Thank you for contributing to the thread. I shall be doing another update in the coming days but I look forward to hearing any further updates from yourself. Glad you have found the thread of use. :)

Great thread.

As far as the fullbacks, are you sure none have any PPMs effecting movement? Maybe work rate is playing a factor?

I'd suggest watching games back in full and trying to spot errors first hand. I'd be a little hesitant to roll with so many PIs from the start as making changes could get complicated or potentially conflicting (opposed to simply switching roles.) It seems like there's a distinct style you're aiming for however, so they aren't a bad idea. Just be sure you know what each does. IMO, better to start with none so you have a base knowledge of each role's starting point.

That being said, everything you laid out makes perfect sense to me in terms of the ME. I'm interested to see where this goes!

Good write up :thup:.

Re. some of your observations / questions:

1) 3 BPDs + a Regista I think is a little overkill, and will detract from the impact you want from the Regista. You really think Pirlo would be happy to see passes bypassing him all the time? Conte may(?) interpret his central defenders as ball playing defenders, however there is a difference (in FM terms) of a central defender who is comfortable on the ball and being classified as a BPD.

2) If you have an issue with a wingback's defensive duties, move one (or both) back to the fullback position. Remember, your formation is your defensive formation. You may consider the wingback position to be truer to the real life original, but player roles and duties will shape your in possession shape and there will be hardly any noticeable difference there.

3) To help score goals, consider changing one of your central midfielders to an attack duty. You have 6 players + the GK behind, so you can afford a few extra runs from deep by a change in duty. Marchisio is about the best there is for that, although Pogba wouldn't be too shabby either ;).

2) If you have an issue with a wingback's defensive duties, move one (or both) back to the fullback position. Remember, your formation is your defensive formation. You may consider the wingback position to be truer to the real life original, but player roles and duties will shape your in possession shape and there will be hardly any noticeable difference there.

As I watched Italy play in the Euro tournament, I noticed the wide players often retreating to the back line. In the FM world, they should probably be positioned in the back line and given attacking wingback duties, or if they must be kept at the midfield line, given defensive winger duties. Anything else doesn't seem as true to real life.

Archived