Moments like this are what you play FM for!

FM16 certainly continues the SI tradition of being able to create magical moments!

I have played FM (previously CM) series since it started and have just experienced one of those moments that you never forget.

Background:

As as Chelsea follower since the days of Osgood, no prizes for guessing which team I am managing in my first career save.

It is the 15/16 season and having topped my Champions League group, I was hoping for a relatively easy opponent in first knock-out round......Unfortunately, Barcelona didn't top their group and we got them.

Going in to the 1st leg (away) we were top of the league on a 7 game winning run, unbeaten in 10 games with only 1 goal conceded.

Unfortunately, several players had "off days" in first leg and our finishing was awful - we lost 4-0!

Build up to second leg

Form slumped after 1st leg defeat and only just managed to scrape past Burnley, after replay, in FA cup, with defeat at Everton before the second leg with Barcelona.

I was considering giving some youngsters some experience in the 2nd leg, on the basis that we had no chance and that I should keep key players fit for league challenge.

Luckily, in hindsight, I rejected this notion and decided not to "give up".

2nd Leg

Team selection decisions......main decision was to drop Terry and play Mammana, in partnership with Zouma - a bit more pace at the back.

With Hazard out for 2-3 months through injury, Pedro played AML. I left Oscar on the bech, playing Fabregas at AMC as he has been pushing for more game time.

Off to the match.....

Pre match teamtalk, Fabregas was told that I expected a good performance from him (he ended with 9.0 rating)

9 min Fabregas scores from free kick

15 min Willian scores....

37 min Costa injured......I bring Barbosa on....(not been in good form)

2-0 going into the break I tell team to get revenge for first leg; they go into second half fired up and....

48 min Willian again.........the dream is alive.....

51 min Barbosa strikes....4-0 (4-4 agg)

Barcelona have had a few chances, but I resist the temptation to change my tactics......

71 min Pedro injured... I bring Oscar on......

At 90 mins its 4-4 on aggregate and we are in touching distance of pulling off a great comeback.

No tactical tweaks ...."if it ain't broken, don't fix it"!

99 mins Barbosa scores....5-4 on agg

Decision time re tactics - I decide to try and hold on to what we have and drop Oscar from AMC to MC (4-3-3 formation, from 4-2-3-1), select "Retain Possession", and "take a breather"......edge of the seat stuff.....

102 min Mammana scores his first ever goal.....6-0 on the night, 6-4 on agg.....

120 min Willian completes his hat trick

Only 45% possession in the match but 16 shots on target (from 26), with Barca restricted to 3 on target (from 9).

Average player ratings...8.68 Vs 5.82.....

7-0 on the night, 7-4 on aggregate...........In all my years of playing FM, I have never had a comeback like this.......

Magical stuff....thanks SI.........

Can't wait for the joy police to get a hold of this one...

Nee naw, nee naw, here I come :lol:

No, all I'd say is if the shoe was on the other foot in this example, would the game be branded as broken, unplayable, etc etc? :D

But well done, it's quite a turnaround. Had something similar in my Hereford save last year. 5-1 down to Man City in the Champions League quarter final first leg. I somehow beat them 5-1 over 90mins of the second leg, then proceeded to score another four goals in extra time. 9-1 :eek:

Nee naw, nee naw, here I come :lol:

No, all I'd say is if the shoe was on the other foot in this example, would the game be branded as broken, unplayable, etc etc? :D

But well done, it's quite a turnaround. Had something similar in my Hereford save last year. 5-1 down to Man City in the Champions League quarter final first leg. I somehow beat them 5-1 over 90mins of the second leg, then proceeded to score another four goals in extra time. 9-1 :eek:

Hiya Dave, Hiya Pal! Nah, you've inserted just enough joy in :p

The OP enjoyed the game, and that's all that matters.

Those two legged cup games sometimes turns a bit wonky. Not always, of course, but sometimes the laws of physics and simple decision making seems to go out the window. Not complaining.. it results in some of the best moments in the game :thup:

One of the best moments I had on fm was on either 12 or 13 with my beloved Chester. I had raise quickly to the championship, but for whatever reason my young team fell in confidence and could not win a game, and ended up relegated. I kept my job because my board expected to fight bravely against relegation, and I had been promoted 3 straight years, so my club stature board confidence level was high too. Well, back into league 1, and I sold a lot of my squad off for big money, I spent a fortune on wages in January to try to get me out of the hole I was in, and couldn't afford it in the championship, never mind league 1. The biggest loss was Tom Peers leaving for mk dons for £1million, the lad had scored over 200 goals for me and was a club legend, having come through the youth team. However his sale led me to promote a young Irish forward from my under 21's, a lad I bought from Cork for £40k.

That's the background, now for the moment. The league 1 campaign was horrible, flitting in and out of the relegation zone all season. At the end I lost a load of games in a row and ended up going into the final game 1 point inside the relegation zone, the board very disappointed and poised to sack me. I did however have quite a good GD, miles better than anything around me. So into the final game, Gillingham the opponents (I have had a few magic moments vs the Gills), a win would keep me up as 2 teams above me who I could catch were playing each other, whereas a draw would leave me relying on one of 2 teams losing. Well, another horrible performance led to me being 1-2 down, when 4 mins added time was shown. A quick check of the results and I knew a draw would be enough. I change my tactics and go gung ho, desperate for the goal that would save me. Well, at quite a few seconds past 94 minutes, my left winger picks the ball up, taking the ball to the corner of the 6 yard box. Shoot! I think. No...he passes the ball across the goal to my Irish forward mentioned before who taps in from 4 yards! The next highlight is the kick off, followed 5 seconds later by the final whistle!!! Oh how I celebrated! Magic.

I went on to win promotion the following season, and after 3 years building in the championship finally managed to sneak in the prem, all thanks to my star Irish forwards goal 5 seconds before the end of the season.

Amazing, chestermike, real edge of the seat stuff. FM certainly does have an uncanny knack of delivering unforgettable moments that help keep you hooked! Presumably you are playing Chester in FM16.....Good luck, enjoy

Archived