Players not gaining national eligibility after living in a country for 5 years?

DS

I've noticed in FM15, unlike FM14 and other versions before it, players are no longer gaining eligibility for a national team after living in the country for 5 years, as per FIFA rules, despite not being capped by their original nation and not being declared for their original nation. Anyone else notice this or know why SI have removed this from the game?

Look under the player's nationality, where you can see the number of days needed to gain the nationality and the number of days already accumulated. It will also state why a player has chosen not to take a nationality he is eligible for. Usually he just "sees no benefit". This will most often be the case e.g. if he's already an EU citizen and the new nationality is in another EU country.

If you are relating this to British leagues i think there is an agreement with the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FA's not to allow them, other than for players who need a work permit. Their passports would be British and would be eligable for all the nations in theory

Some countries take longer than 5 years.

Even after that a player doesn't automatically take the nationality, they have a choice.

I'm not talking about nationality, but eligibility for the national team, they are different. Eligibility for the national team is always 5 years, it's a FIFA rule. That's why FM changed to having nationality and eligibility for a national team as separate things a few versions ago, and it was all working fine before FM15.

In any case, players are picking up nationality just fine after 3 years (as that's what the requirement is in this specific country), but after 5 years they still aren't eligable for the national team.

Look under the player's nationality, where you can see the number of days needed to gain the nationality and the number of days already accumulated. It will also state why a player has chosen not to take a nationality he is eligible for. Usually he just "sees no benefit". This will most often be the case e.g. if he's already an EU citizen and the new nationality is in another EU country.

Again, nationality and eligibility for national team are separate, and there is no problem with players picking up nationality (which is 3 years in this specific country), the problem is eligibility for the national team isn't occurring after 5 years as per FIFA rules and how it worked in the last few versions of FM.

I'm not talking about nationality, but eligibility for the national team, they are different. Eligibility for the national team is always 5 years, it's a FIFA rule. That's why FM changed to having nationality and eligibility for a national team as separate things a few versions ago, and it was all working fine before FM15.

In any case, players are picking up nationality just fine after 3 years (as that's what the requirement is in this specific country), but after 5 years they still aren't eligable for the national team.

Have you got a link to the Fifa rule?

But aside from that as I said just because a player is eligible it doesn't mean he wants to play for the country.

Again, nationality and eligibility for national team are separate, and there is no problem with players picking up nationality (which is 3 years in this specific country), the problem is eligibility for the national team isn't occurring after 5 years as per FIFA rules and how it worked in the last few versions of FM.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. ;)

In that case it sounds like a bug to me...

Maybe they have already made an appearance for another national team. Or maybe if they have already decided which nation they want to play for, the game never makes them eligible.

They haven't made an appearance for another nation, and i'm not talking about 1 player but 50 or so, something is definitely broken.

I've just noticed it's working for another nation, but not mine. This is an edited database where I created a new league so maybe I've broken something.

I've had players play for their new country of residence in my Liechtenstein and Gibraltar saves. I find that the player will normally declare himself to play for the new nation if he doesn't stand any realistic chance of playing for his country of birth.

because they'll harbour ambitions of playing for England (or something)

take the example of Grealish irl

That is certainly the case for most Caribbean players who (for some reason) automatically get ENG as 2nd nationality. The same is true for African players with FRA which makes it almost impossible to manage those nations and actually be able to nominate your best players...

Archived