Atletico Madrid

Im playing with Atletico Madrid, having been inspired by Rashidi1(bust the net) excellent post about them. Im trying to setup my tactic(counter, fluid) as Simeone, but Im struggling a bit. Have some questions about the central mid pair(Tiago and Gabi), I have Tiago as bwm d and Gabi as cm s. Tiago also has mark tighter as PI but whatabout Gabi? As I understand the central midfield pair in Simeones team is all about defending, winning the ball and distribute the ball to the more creative wing players (Koke wp a, Turan wm a). How could I get this to work?

My teamsetup: fb s- cd d-cd d-cwb a wp a-bwm d-cm s-wm a f9-df d, TI: direct passing, pass into space, early crosses, whipped crosses, play narrower, higher tempo, be more disciplined. As I understand Simeone wants his wingbacks to contribute in the attacking phase as the wp and wm cut inside making room for them. As I said earlier I have read the thread but I feel I could use some more pointers about central midfield pair and wingbacks, please help

could you post a screengrab of your tactic? that could make things a bit easier to comment on. you play 442 right? i've played quite a bit with a 442 and could never really get the second central midfielder to work as well as my other central midfielder. eventually i settled on three setups that more or less worked for me, albeit in a possession based tactic, not in a direct tactic that you so clearly want to create. central midfielder (defend) & roaming playermaker (support), deep lying playmaker (defend) & ball winning midfielder (defend), or central midfielder (defend) & ball winning midfielder (defend). considering you use a playmaker on the wings like i did, i disliked using the roaming playmaker as i feel it took something away from the wide playmaker's game. but you could say that this is actually pretty good as it gives you both an option to make play from the wing and from the inside.

two defensive duties in central midfield worked well and is necessary against strong opposition. you have your wide playmaker coming inside to form an triangle in attack which feels and works good.

so in your case i'd use

wm(s) bwm(d) cm(d) wp(s)

with both wing backs on attack to create the width you are looking for

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit obsessed with trying to recreate Atleti as of late. There's all sorts of great attempts at it out there already (shouts to Artisan, Rashidi and various others) but I figured I'd try my own hand it at it. Tactical analysis of AM is plentiful on the internet but I found this one very useful for translating into FM terms: http://www.slideshare.net/Kieran85uk/atletico-madrid-10-match-tactical-analysis. Have a look at that and see how you interpret it. For me the hardest thing to pin down is mentality/team shape. Everything else I can feel out fairly accurately but those two aspects are tricky to suss.

In-game I'm actually trying to make it work with Southampton, not Atleti directly. Southampton have a bit in common with them so it's not completely outlandish but certainly obtuse. It's silly but for some reason I feel as if cracking this particular nut with a team that isn't Atleti would maybe result in a better sense of satisfaction. Even though that mindset clashes with how the game actually works. The things we convince ourselves of, innit?

Yes I know there are a few threads about this but I find the subject fascinating.

Rashidi did a very good version but actually I think it was far too heavily based on possession and short passing, whereas Madrid tend to play purely counter attacking most of the time.

The difficult thing I think to reproduce is the movement from the wide midfielders

Yes I know there are a few threads about this but I find the subject fascinating.

Rashidi did a very good version but actually I think it was far too heavily based on possession and short passing, whereas Madrid tend to play purely counter attacking most of the time.

The difficult thing I think to reproduce is the movement from the wide midfielders

If you get 'em to sit narrower and, if you fancy it, set them to swap positions on occasion you can get pretty close.

I don't think there's anything much wrong with the short passing in certain situations. There's definitely matches where Atleti play some lovely combination moves. It's just tricky getting the pace right for those bigger matches, as well as building something that works well both as a high block and in a low block. I'm on standard/flexible right now just while I work things out. Counter is always too slow for my chips.

Also I've read some very conflicting things about the way they defend, probably based on most people watching them when they play Barca or Real. Often I read they play in a medium-low block and press only when the ball is on the flanks or close to their penalty area, keeping shape being their number one aim:

http://theinsidechannel.com/guide-atletico-madrids-tactics-diego-simeone/

. Other times I read they mostly line up in high block and press, as in the slideshare you just posted.

I feel that maybe for the smaller teams you go high block/press, for equivalent teams you medium/high block with press and then for superior teams you go medium/low block with just a few choice players pressing like the forwards and perhaps wingers. My first league game of the season in my Southampton save is bloody Chelsea of all teams, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm starting to really like the combination of Attacking with Drop Deeper and various other 'tightening up' TIs like tighter marking and be more disciplined. It keeps a solid defensive base but I find it also adds a little bit more zip to the forward movement. Playing against the bigger teams this way seems to lead to more effective counter attacks than the counter setting itself does. I just got a pretty comfortable 2-0 win against Utd this way.

I also elected to stop using Artisan's OIs for a lil bit. I love them and they're a brilliant way of recreating Atleti's funnel press but for where my team is at right now I think they're a little too shape-destroying for my liking.

Interested to see what you can do Euan as when the transfer window shuts I'm going to start an Athleti save, although I was thinking of not just using 4-4-2 but 4-1-3-2 due to the current personnel that they have.

Keep us all posted, especially interested to see some screenshots of how your tactic is working and your thought process behind your decision.

Ah..yes. Simeone. While, I already posted my initial interpretation. I watched the games last season and this season and I changed my tune on how AM plays. This is my new interpretation.

I see some similarities with Simeone's system in Tony Pulis' (OK, you can stop laughing now). Both teams spend most of the time in their own box pressuring opponents while playing on the counter.

Counter

Simeone is one of those guys who plays with a low block and on the counter. I can only think of this mentality to emulate that.

Very Fluid

You may think it is not Simeone but the description seems to fit him like a glove. Even the attackers have to defend.

7iIncZo.png

MByrWHX.png

Some of the TIs are obvious but for a few that aren't

Shorter Passing

The team usually keeps the ball on the ground.

Clear Ball Into Flanks

Most of the counter attacks starts from the flanks

Hit Early Crosses

I use this to get my wide men to release the ball early in the counterattack to my TM.

feOnEuy.png

Other than Quickly Throwing the ball long to start counterattacks, my GK will do whatever he wants.

zIamqQi.png

2 center backs that are expected to be the last line of defense and nothing else.

FfaXl5O.png

2 CWBs that are expected to provide the width and bomb forward to aid the attack

YEBltcx.png

In his system, Simeone uses two playmakers and these are the ones.

rHKyNbr.png

Z4GIuSu.png

Just like Tony Pulis' cage, Simeone also uses a cage. Two men expecting to cause hell for their opponents in the middle of the field while occasionally supporting the attack (eg. Gabi).

IP4PkEp.png

Debateable but I think the role fits Greizzmann like a glove. The man was never a striker. He was an inverted winger before he joined AM...so yeah.

WMYMleu.png

Don't laugh but I think this emulates the movement of Jackson and Madzurkic. Both men have the power and the pace but they are expected to use the former more often...so yeah.

The funnel pressing worked out here and we won the back back. Higuain came deep to get the back and give it to Phil Jones. Jones then finds Rooney who gives the ball to Carrick who then makes a beautiful pass to Higuain and Gonzalo scores.

Could you post some images of defensive formation? Is it a strict 4-4-2, or your team loses initial form? I'm asking this because of Very Fluid. Although it does increase defensive contribution, it also increases creativity and roaming. Personally, I'd stick with Balanced, not because Very Fluid is just wrong, but because Simeone's Atletico has some attributes of Rigid philosophy.

Could you post some images of defensive formation? Is it a strict 4-4-2, or your team loses initial form? I'm asking this because of Very Fluid. Although it does increase defensive contribution, it also increases creativity and roaming. Personally, I'd stick with Balanced, not because Very Fluid is just wrong, but because Simeone's Atletico has some attributes of Rigid philosophy.

I don't know what you mean. You want the way the team's shape is in defense??

You could mod one of the WMs to a WM with cut inside, essentially copying the raumdeuters settings. I can't recall exactly what the PIs are but thats what I did. If you wanted to replicate it entirely then its possible you may need to go defensive with a direct passing style for key players so they can launch the balls up. Its an option to consider. Counterattacking could see the side try to pass the ball around along the back which is something I don't like to see, I much rather see a quicker transition from defender to holding midfielders and then out to the flanks.

Do any of you guys find long term success with high tempo/high pressing systems like this?

I started out with Der Generals very decent thread about Tuchel and then went on to try different varieties and different shapes, still maintaining a high tempo and pressing. After 6 seasons at different outfits one thing stands out: I start off very well, lets say 18-20 games and then we start becoming highly unpredictable. From that point on every team, even lower leagues teams in the cups, become very dangerous. We concede a lot from set pieces and also long range efforts etc. A sign that the ME is telling me something.

There are many examples I could use,

Jean I really like your comparison to pulis as I think you are correct in that they both aim to lock down the centre of the pitch and push attackers wide where they are less threat, plus both often use a low block.

The real difference is probably the types of players they have at their disposal. I'm sure pulis would do something similar if he was in Madrid.

Questions tho:

- how are you finding it working defensively? It seems your centre is not quite the tough unit that I imagined someone creates. I've always gone for a sort of Cm-D and defensive DLP combo to really keep it tight there. Plus with a supporting Cm isn't the centre getting very crowded?

- does having a target man make your play too predictable. I'm always wary of having target men and a bunch of playmakers as it's maybe confusing for players as those are all roles that tell them to aim the ball at them.

- 2 cover defenders, doesn't that leave a lot of space in front of them with nobody in the DMC role. Sounds quite passive.

Jean I really like your comparison to pulis as I think you are correct in that they both aim to lock down the centre of the pitch and push attackers wide where they are less threat, plus both often use a low block.

The real difference is probably the types of players they have at their disposal. I'm sure pulis would do something similar if he was in Madrid.

Questions tho:

- how are you finding it working defensively? It seems your centre is not quite the tough unit that I imagined someone creates. I've always gone for a sort of Cm-D and defensive DLP combo to really keep it tight there. Plus with a supporting Cm isn't the centre getting very crowded?

- does having a target man make your play too predictable. I'm always wary of having target men and a bunch of playmakers as it's maybe confusing for players as those are all roles that tell them to aim the ball at them.

- 2 cover defenders, doesn't that leave a lot of space in front of them with nobody in the DMC role. Sounds quite passive.

1) Defensively, we are doing fine. When the ball gets to the middle, the center mids tight marks the defenders and close them down. Simeone usually plays with a shape like that but I don't have a problem with the center getting too crowded. I think a CM (S) emulates the movement of Gabi. He really is not a playmaker and he usually sits higher than Thiago.

2) I guess but you just have to score goals in another way and I found that way

In set pieces :D

3) Nah, remember I can't have any of my center backs coming out and pressing otherwise I'll just leave space behind for my opponents to expliot.

1) Defensively, we are doing fine. When the ball gets to the middle, the center mids tight marks the defenders and close them down. Simeone usually plays with a shape like that but I don't have a problem with the center getting too crowded. I think a CM (S) emulates the movement of Gabi. He really is not a playmaker and he usually sits higher than Thiago.

2) I guess but you just have to score goals in another way and I found that way.

In set pieces :D

3) Nah, remember I can't have any of my center backs coming out and pressing otherwise I'll just leave space behind for my opponents to expliot.

1) Your centre mids mark the defenders? Is that right? Yeah wasn't suggesting making him a playmaker, I think it might be more realistic to make them both DMC or defend duty.. but hey.

2) How many goals are you scoring from set pieces, I might get the occasional goal from a corner once every 5-7 games.

3) Still, I don't understand how those two cover defenders work, if there is a big gap in front of them, one of them will probably come out anyway, and if they don't then any AMC is going to have a field day there.

1) Your centre mids mark the defenders? Is that right? Yeah wasn't suggesting making him a playmaker, I think it might be more realistic to make them both DMC or defend duty.. but hey.

2) How many goals are you scoring from set pieces, I might get the occasional goal from a corner once every 5-7 games.

3) Still, I don't understand how those two cover defenders work, if there is a big gap in front of them, one of them will probably come out anyway, and if they don't then any AMC is going to have a field day there.

1) Sorry, I meant oppossition players :D

2) I scored 2 more goals in that game I posted above you from set pieces.

3) AMCs will gets closed down as well. Are you assuming an AM will walk through the defense? That is what the funnel pressing is for.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for those who are trying to setup like Athletico - what do you do to react when it goes wrong? I've managed to beat Barca, Real, Juventus all at home, yet there's a couple of times it's went completely wrong and Juventus hammered 4 against me away from home as did Granada. Just interested to hear people's thoughts.

Has anybody had a go at using their (or someone else's) atleti replica tactic with Atleti themselves? Cause I've had a go at it and man did Real absolutely wreck me in the supercopa. I will freely admit I've never been especially good at handling the bigger games but it was a bit worrying how thoroughly they dominated.

Archived