Help with installation

Hello

I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere. I have a laptop which I keep in my grandparents house. They live in the middle of nowhere and don't have internet access. They've never had a need for it. I'll be going there for a month or so soon, and I'd like to install FM14 on the laptop. It's not currently installed on any other device. I have the physical CD bought from a shop. When I take the CD to my grandparents, how can I install the game from the CD? I won't be able to connect to the internet at any stage, so won't be able to update Steam, or probably even install Steam.

I last had FM11, and that allowed me to install and play the game from the CD.

How can I do that for FM14?

Thanks.

FM14 requires at least a one time internet connection to activate so if you have no way to connect the laptop to the internet you won't be able to install it. (If you are able to get the laptop connected to the internet once you have installed the game and updated it you should be able to put steam into offline mode and play it without the internet, but you will need an internet connection to install the game first).

As Michael said, you can install it using the DVD. It needs to be activated though and for that you need an internet connection. IIRC, the warning is on the box listed under requirements.

Can't you use your phone or a 3g dongle to get you internet access to the laptop or is there no signal where they are?

Hmm ok I'll have to put it down as an impossible task then. Shame.

On a seperate note, I'm having slight problems installing FM14 on my proper laptop in my own house. Last year, I was living with my brother, and we were using his laptop as a shared laptop. He already had Steam, and his own account - he uses it for other games. When I bought FM14, I installed it using his account, as he was logged into Steam already. Now, I'm in my own house, using my own laptop, but everytime I try and install it, it says the activation code has already been used. I can't log in my brothers account as I don't know the password, and I doubt he wants me fiddling with his stuff. How do I register FM14 using my own Steam account now? Or is there any other way of installing it?

As Michael said, you can install it using the DVD. It needs to be activated though and for that you need an internet connection.

That's not strictly true. Even if you install from the disk it wants to download 1.6 GB of data along with the authorization stuff. That's a bit more tricky than a little trip to an internet cafe.

That's not strictly true. Even if you install from the disk it wants to download 1.6 GB of data along with the authorization stuff. That's a bit more tricky than a little trip to an internet cafe.

Yeah, I am not sure how large the files are that need downloading for the activation, but that's why I asked if he can't connect using his phone or 3g dongle.

These are not files for activation, it's half the game. Only half of it is on the disk and it won't let you start the installing process without an internet connection and Steam online.

Not trying to argue or anything, btw, just think it needs to be made clearer because I bought the disk for the very reason this year (internet connection with a bandwidth limit).

I agree with you, fwiw. It's all part of the activation process, but yes, a section of the game would need to be downloaded as part of that process. Maybe I should have been clearer. :thup:

I an surprised that this was a surprise to him, since he'd already done an installation using the disc so should really know what's involved.

It isn't a quick trip to the internet cafe, as you say. His grandparents living in the middle of nowhere led me to believe that an internet cafe is definitely out of the question!

I did install the game before but as I was at home using normal internet connection, I installed it in the normal way and I didn't have to investigate into alternative installation methods. That's the reason for this thread.

It is a shame that SI have decided to restrict their non internet customers. In my opinion, there should be two installation methods - download from steam for the connected and an offline physical DVD for others. It makes no sense for a physical DVD to require a connection.

Middle of nowhere is very rarely in the middle of nowhere nowadays in the UK, you just need a bit of effort and planning.

I grew up "In the middle of nowhere" and my dad still lives there, he doesn't have the internet, although a basic slow connection would be possible but there are still options. Villages in the surrounding area have connections while a small town six miles away is a BT zone with an internet cafe.

As for Steam its been needed for a couple of years now and is the direction most games are taking so its something you should get used to.

EDIT

Aside from the connection which is really a secondary issue, your main problem is you've linked your game to your brother's Steam accout therefore giving it to him leaving you having to buy the game again.

I guess I could log in temporarily to my brother's account, download FM14 again, then always play it offline - or would it try and connect to my brothers account every time I launch it?

My brother would probably give me temporary access but then he'd change his password back once I'd done it.

Once downloaded off Steam, can I play it completely offline?

I suspect the benefits of providing a disk only installation that doesn't require the internet are massively dwarfed by the benefits of an online-only method. I imagine piracy has quite a bit to do with it too.

Maybe, but I struggle to see the idea behind having only half the game on the disk. 1.6 GB may not seem a lot these days, but when you have a bandwidth limit like I do then it's a little more than just an inconvenience. Especially if I happen to run into a technical issue and have to reinstall.

Maybe, but I struggle to see the idea behind having only half the game on the disk. 1.6 GB may not seem a lot these days, but when you have a bandwidth limit like I do then it's a little more than just an inconvenience. Especially if I happen to run into a technical issue and have to reinstall.

Yeah, you definitely have a point. Without knowing exactly what is on it, it's all speculation. I would've thought they could've cut that amount down somewhat.

As far as I'm aware the full game is on the DVD, it's the post-release (or at least post-disk mastering) patch data that has to be downloaded, the main problem is I don't think there is anyway of telling Steam not to download the patches when installing a game (just be thankful it didn't come with a 10GB patch like Wolfenstein did).

Also once you have installed and fully updated a game there are several ways to backup the data to save you having to redownload it in future - There is an option in Steam to backup the game files, you can also just manually move/copy the contents of your steam folder around (and to different computers) Steam will then just download the tiny bits it needs to run the game.

Archived