FM14 Strikerless "happy" tactic

Introduction

Hi folks,

Ok in order to introduce this tactic I first need to explain how it has evolved. Over the past month or so I have been working on a series of tactics using pressure and possession. Whilst doing so I have also been chatting to Guido continually about creating a tactic that has no strikers.

Up until recently I had the offence fine with the pressure tactics, but the defence was leaky. Klang put me right on the fact that an earlier incarnation with 3 at the back worked quite well. Using that 3 DC's and DMC as a base, I then elected to solve the problem of how to retain the offensive capabilities without being so open. I elected to change from two defensive forwards to one shadow striker. Influenced mainly by the fact the shadow striker's instruction indicated it would close down went out of possession, retain the pressure philosophy. I played about with two shadow strikers but one seemed always to be redundant. Most of the crosses from the defensive wingers (which I left unchanged) were to the far post, by passing both completely. I then decided to try the Brazilian box idea. Now this came to my mind because I had recently undertook a journeyman save and had ended up managing in Brazil. I constantly came up against 2 DMC's and 2 MC's. The MC's would break forward and overlap the forwards etc and I normally lost possession and goals because of quick counters. With a lot of tinkering I found that if I removed the role of ball winning midfielder and made them just defensive and central midfielders, I could set them to attack and overlap, whereas with the ballwinning role I was restricted.

So then I had my shape of 3-2-2-3. I tried it out, with short passing and possession football and found the MC's didn't attack quickly enough. I then switched to direct play and high tempo (from low) and suddenly those runs and goals came flowing through. Not only that, but defensively the team were primed to attack.

With regards to the mentality I agonised over this. It affects the D-line, so I had to be careful about pressing high up the pitch too high. I tried 101 combinations, starting off with pressing high and counter mentality but ended up electing to overload, so the players when attacking would bomb forward all the time. It meant gaps were left at the back, but its a trade off I was comfortable with. If you want to tighten the tactic up and not lose so many goals, please amend the mentality and D-Line to suit. I honestly don't feel happy with this aspect of the tactic and will encourage others to experiment as much as possible.

The following tactic has the whole team putting pressure on the opposition to attain possession, then works the ball into the box, via crosses or direct passing, to achieve goals.

This is a plug and play tactic that works with all teams of all levels. The better the team, the better the results. I have not bought or edited anything. The original squad/staff etc are what is used throughout the season.

Tactical Set Up

The purpose of the tactic is to pressurise the opposition into losing the ball high up the pitch. Defending from the front. This is done by making most of the players undertake defensive roles. Then once in possession, the ball is quickly moved forward and chances are hopefully created. By pressurising higher up the pitch, the aim is to harry the opposition into mistakes.

Choice of player roles

All outfield players need to have good fitness, pace and stamina relative to the league they play in, to be able to operate in this tactic.

The goalkeeper is a normal goalkeeper. If you have a 'Loris-type' though maybe switch to a sweeper keeper. Just be aware of lobs.

The DC's are basically one's that need to have some level of pace about them to counteract breaks.

DMC's need good tackling and passing stats.

The wingers (AML/AMR) are basically defensive wingers. I wanted both to put pressure on the opposing team's fullbacks and again attain possession high up the pitch.

The MC's need to be quick and have good shooting and composure stats

The AMC needs to be a striker in the guise of a AMC basically, ready to break through and take the multiple chances falling his way.

Match Preparation/training/Opposition Instructions/team talks

I have the players training high intensity in order to learn tactics only on the tactics session but overall balanced. This is so the tactic becomes fluid as soon as possible. Thereafter, I have the players focusing on defensive positioning within a balanced framework, with the match training cut down.

I use no opposition instructions.

When selecting the team, my only advice is select fit players. No one under 95% should be selected.

I'm loath to go into team talks etc, as that's mainly "how you play the game" and i'm not one for destroying or dictating folks individual experience. I expect a win assertively at the start or tell them to enjoy. If I am not 3 goals goal I tell them aggressively I expect something better in the second half. If they are 3 goals up I tell them passionately I am happy with what they are doing and to keep it up.

Team Instructions

These are listed below. They are chosen to fit the ethos I have outlined I want the team to commit to. The whole tactic is about compressing the space the opposition have to work in. Hence the high offside line with the overload mentality and hassling opponents, coupled with the player roles.

I have chosen an overload mentality as I expect my defensively minded players to win the ball high up the pitch, therefore as soon as they are in possession, I want them to attack fast and in numbers. Its the only way to get round the conflicting player roles I have assigned. If I have a counter or defensive or even a standard mentality, the players seem to be more passive when in possession.

Player selection

Do not let the assistant manager do team talks or select the team. You can play out and out wingers as defensive wingers, whereas the assistant manager will have you pick DWL/R's instead for example.

So there you have it. What I consider to be a unique and damn good tactic. This to be shared or passed on only with my express permission and consent.

So there you go. I'll perhaps update this opening post some more, I might not. Regardless enjoy the tactic below;

https://www.mediafire.com/?1ldilfpd404znsc

Defensive tweak to the tactic.

I also have produced a more defensively sound tactic that focuses more on going through the middle. This one's results are slightly better than the one above, but rely upon having good DWL/R's and the defensive wingers are binned.

https://www.mediafire.com/?tcfwije94o1zpfp

I do love a good strikerless formation. Will give this a try!

One question, from poking around the player instructions, the AML has one extra instruction than the AMR (that being 'Shoot Less Often'). With everything else being symmetrical is the tactic, is this intentional or left over from experimenting?

I do love a good strikerless formation. Will give this a try!

One question, from poking around the player instructions, the AML has one extra instruction than the AMR (that being 'Shoot Less Often'). With everything else being symmetrical is the tactic, is this intentional or left over from experimenting?

I think the term I am looking for is "bollocks". Please amend and take it off. I genuinely thought both were even. OP post edited with new tactic link.

I think the term I am looking for is "bollocks". Please amend and take it off. I genuinely thought both were even. OP post edited with new tactic link.

No worries, I have now taken it off :thup:

Results from last night using this. (I switched to this tactic at the green line, so only 4 games into the season)

z3nt.jpg

Very potent going forward, although I am leaking goals.

Now, this could be because of a couple of points;

* The tactic is still not fluid, match prep is on tactics only, but being a semi pro Swedish team means it take FOREVER to get fluid, especially switching during the season

* My defenders are not ideally suited, being big, slower units

In the last game I tinkered with switching the central DC to 'cover' and removing the offside trap.

Didn't stop the goals conceded, but look at the scoreline! My AMC (who is actually a FC and still 'red' for AMC) scored 8!!!

If I can shore up the defense, then this will be simply fantastic :thup:

Glesgakillie - going to try this as looks just like what my Liverpool team would thrive on, and used to swear by Bramumiller 550 and then deep 550 formation which as well was striker less, so if he's enjoying it then im all over it - will update in a few days time and will let you know how i get on

having a great time with my liverpool save but i'm struggling with great comebacks in the last 15mins after the AI goes all guns blazing. was 2-0 against man u and lost 2-6 in the end thou that was leaving it as it was and not going contain or defensive. still created chances and could have ended up 12-6. as noted by others above against better opposition making middle cb to cover helps and also using enrique and johnson as aml/r as dwingers does help as both can play there - just wish (as we all probably do) that i had 3 Suarez's as he fits the all front 3 roles perfectly!!!!

otherwise, first formation in 2014 that (and if this makes sense) dont mind losing with, as the football you play is exciting and fast paced!

Just to update how I have been getting on with this.

Below is a link to my results for the first season.

>> Results <<

I began using the tactic after the orange line.

As we were getting towards the end of the season I began falling away from 1st place in the league and I decided to tinker. I dropped one of the DMs into a standard back four (DR,DC,DC,DL). This debuted after the yellow line and I drew 0-0 due to altering the mentality to 'Attacking'. After this I returned to 'Overload', but whenever I took a lead I would drop it back down to 'Attacking'.

Overload creates a lot of chances, but understandably also often leaves you wide open at the other end.

While Attacking will still create you chances (albeit at a lower rate), it also significantly tightens up your defense. I found it to be a very good mentality to drop to once you have a lead. You stand a better chance of holding on, and will still score.

Overload 100% of the time creates some crazy a$$ scorelines as you can see from the link.

Very happy with the new 460 variant, conceding just 3 goals in 7 games (5 wins, 2 draws - draw #1 while testing attacking, and draw #2 on last game of season with promotion already wrapped up)

Braumiller - very interesting but i sold all my full backs so not good for this save anyway lol - thou if you could upload it would be a basis for a newcastle save.

Glesgakille - good luck with the Dugout PL , must be sitting pretty if you not going to upload the tactic! BTW S Gerard is IMMENSE in the CM A role and has found a new lease of life at 33 but cannot last the 90mins!

I had been using this tactic, but to be honest that last post puts me off giving my feedback.

This forum is about sharing tactics and ideas - You got something you don't want to share, fair enough, but don't post like that about it. Makes it seem like your in it for popularity im afraid.

If you decide to go back to the really constructive posts like your opening ones on each thread, happy to give some constructive feedback on what I have found with this - using it as Swansea in season 2

Braumiller has my near perfect tactic to test and play with. I'll accept PM request for this tactic on the basis there is NO PUBLIC posting or replication of it on the forums.

I have an online tournament that I am using it in and really don't want to get punked.

Please don't post about it on here then if you have no intention of sharing it on here only with selective people. This is a community and everyone should be treated equally, posts like this really have no place on here at all and is disrespectful to everyone else participating in your threads. If you are turning this into a popularity contest or making people PM you then I'm going to close your threads and hand out an infraction, it's just not on and is making people uncomfortable enough to report the post.

Ok noted Cleon. I will delete the posts mentioning it and will not respond to any PMs.

I didn't mention it to try and create a popularity contest or because of delusions of grandeur. Those comments are based on incorrect assumptions. I just simply didn't want to release the tactic whilst I was involved in a very enjoyable competition. In terms of calling it near perfect, its meant int he context that I can't improve upon it, just to clarify that. Bit stunned at the reaction but I guess I can totally understand how you guys have came to those assumptions, so fair enough. I have tried very hard to make the opening posts as informative as possible and any future updates I'll strive to keep on topic to the tactics already listed in the thread. Sorry for inadvertently coming across as an arse.

Apologies to all concerned, especially those who felt 'uncomfortable'. The thought of making any post on the internet that makes anyone feel uncomfortable concerns me. If there is anything I can do to reassure someone who is upset I will do so. I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong. I know now for future reference.

Again, sorry. In the meantime, if I have merited an infraction then I'll take the hit/ban etc that is associated with it. Rules are rules. Think an infraction would come under the forum rule of "Everyone on the forums will be treated the same." Therefore I'll take the ban/infraction.

Ok noted Cleon. I will delete the posts mentioning it and will not respond to any PMs.

I didn't mention it to try and create a popularity contest or because of delusions of grandeur. Those comments are based on incorrect assumptions. I just simply didn't want to release the tactic whilst I was involved in a very enjoyable competition. In terms of calling it near perfect, its meant int he context that I can't improve upon it, just to clarify that. Bit stunned at the reaction but I guess I can totally understand how you guys have came to those assumptions, so fair enough. I have tried very hard to make the opening posts as informative as possible and any future updates I'll strive to keep on topic to the tactics already listed in the thread. Sorry for inadvertently coming across as an arse.

Apologies to all concerned, especially those who felt 'uncomfortable'. The thought of making any post on the internet that makes anyone feel uncomfortable concerns me. If there is anything I can do to reassure someone who is upset I will do so. I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong. I know now for future reference.

Again, sorry. In the meantime, if I have merited an infraction then I'll take the hit/ban etc that is associated with it. Rules are rules. Think an infraction would come under the forum rule of "Everyone on the forums will be treated the same." Therefore I'll take the ban/infraction.

No harm done and the apology seems sincere :)

Thanks Cleon.

Below is the one I sent to Braumiller to test, it uses aflat back 4

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o0p0ur98axieczq/test.tac

I also have produced a more defensively sound tactic that focuses more on going through the middle. This one's results are slightly better than the one above, but rely upon having good DWL/R's and the defensive wingers are binned.

https://www.mediafire.com/?tcfwije94o1zpfp

The one directly above is actually really good. Edited this post to include it as I have got the balance just about right. If anyone can improve upon it then fire away.

Alright Chrissy :)

Which of these tactics you have now, would you suggest works best for Madrid?

More interested in scoring goals than stopping them from coming in the other end? Whilst I do like a clean sheet, id rather win 6-2, 3-1, than 1-0 and 2-0 every game :)

Look's familiar mate :rolleyes:

Well yeah, everyone is coming out with strikerless formations mate! Doesn't mean the actual tactical instructions are the same.

Also, this looks like it could be the perfect barca tactic if one of those cbs was moved into the amr slot.

Look's familiar mate :rolleyes:

To what? Have you created one like it? If you have went through the same process from developing a pressure tactic, to one using the box with wingers to then using one like the one listed then fair play. This is the product of about 5 weeks testing and tweaking. Starting with my original Pressure tactic that became obsolete with the patch update, as explained in the opening post.

have to say that i am using your formation with CWB instead of DW with newcastle with great success. couldn't bare to sell Santon or Debouchy as they are top notch and the fact that newcastle have to real wingers of promise are HBA who is perfect for the SS role btw.

the only problem i have is after 60mins the match engine/AI catches up with you but i find a complete tactic change using - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/377412-IMBA-tactic-from-Totalfootballfan. - with 3 strikers playing a high pressing game as the ME/AI have everyone on attack, leaving you plenty of space to exploit.

BUT if i can just say the first 30mins with this tactic is a joy to watch, especially against teams playing 41221 or 4231 - just rips them apart!

Ive lost track of all the tactics released even in this one thread! You do great work Killie, and your openening post write ups are great, but you do seem to bounce from one tactic to another very quickly!

Anyway, im using the original one from this OP, with 3 tweaks - I moved it from Overload to attack, moved the centre CB to "cover" and also made the keeper a sweeper keeper.

These 3 worked a treat - with the original I was always caught out by long balls over the top, even though I have good fast defenders, but the "cover" defender cuts out that. I also found on overload I would get caught with balls inside the 2 outer defenders as they were too far advanced, but less of that now. Not certain that the sweeper keeper has made much difference but sticking with it.

Using these, just taken Swansea to the title in season 2, and to the quarters of the Champs League. Loving how it plays, my 2 x MC score a lot, and alos miss a lot of chances unfortunately. The wide men are great and liking the solidarity of the 2 DMC.

Worth trying those tweaks if anyone else still using the original

Archived