Eastern Europe (vol II) Starting in: the murky seas of the lower leagues

withnail316

Evening all

I've had a few completely horrific weeks with Football Manager. Firstly, my long term Eastern European game was struck down by a crash dump, and then my follow up career went down the same path. I thought I was at my final tether with the game and went back to FM11, but there was light at the end of the tunnel.

After conversations with a couple of mates (and a couple of techies!) Football Manager 13 works again, and after holidaying for 10 seasons, I'm pleased to say I've had no issues at all and I'm ready to start again. Sadly I've not been able to rescue my other career (although I still hold out hope, perhaps forlorn hope, but hope nonetheless) and so I'm going to start a brand new career instead. I thoroughly enjoyed playing in Eastern Europe last time, but to avoid an exact repeat in this career I'm going to start as a lower division side.

The two countries I most enjoyed last time were Ukraine and Poland, so I'll use the old "pick a club for me" button and take the first second tier job from those two countries I'm given and go from there. With the last game I was able to win both the Champions League and Europa League within 10 years, which I don't think will be possible this time, but I am looking to put down a few roots. No great targets in mind, but I do want to take a second tier side up, and if possible pick up a trophy or two down the path. Simple enough, really!

Right then, the details:

FM13.3.3 with no edits

Leagues loaded from Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine (to lowest in game options)

Large database, 40,000 players

The manager

As ever, the man in the hot seat is 32 year old Italian Alessandro Albertini. The half-Ukrainian Perugia fan was a fairly average footballer as a player, and starts the game with an automatic reputation. Hopefully he can achieve a little more on the side lines.

Club details to follow once the club has been selected.

EDIT: At post 62, this changes from one career to another after the first went awry. A little untidy, but in recent weeks I've bothered the mods enough already!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stomilolsztynimage.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OlsztyƄski Klub Sportowy Stomil Olsztyn

(with thanks to Wikipedia)

OKS Stomil Olsztyn is a Polish football club based in Olsztyn, Poland. It was founded on 15 July 1945 as OKS Warmiak. The brightest era of this club was the 1990s when it played in the Polish First League. Between 2004 and 2012 the team was known as OKS 1945 Olsztyn.

Sadly, I don't have too much more I can tell you about the club. I can say though that they were promoted from the third tier in 2011/12, and that the club plays its football at the OSiR Stadium, which is a multi-use stadium in Olsztyn. The ground has a capacity of 16,800 and so is a good size for us to grow into, with 3,500 seats.

Here's a quick image:

stadiumt.jpg

Not the most picturesque of stadia, but it's home! Unsurprisingly, the ground is listed as being in a "very poor" state.

Incidentally, the club is expected by the media to finish in 15th (which is a relegation spot, 4th from bottom) and has 400 season ticket holders. The club has basic training and youth facilities, so this will be a bit of a struggle I would think. Still, who wants an easy life?

stomilolsztynimage.png

I've signed a one year deal at the club on ÂŁ800p/w, and the board's minimum expectation is to avoid the dreaded drop. I'm pretty confident I can do that, although I don't have much to work with financially. Indeed, my wage budget is ÂŁ4,350p/w, which leaves me about ÂŁ120p/w to play with. There is no transfer budget, although we do at least have more than ÂŁ400,000 in the bank and no debts to mention. Reasonable enough.

Not sure I trust my assistant's opinion, but he is suggesting that we're looking quite promising in the talent department:

squadreport1.png

squadreport2.png

The best of the bunch, according to him, is 18 year old midfielder Dominik Kun. If he's half as good as my assistant thinks, he could be a vital player for years to come:

dominikkun.png

Cheers for the well-wishes, all. Good to finally be back playing again.

Just assessing my squad at the moment, I've decided I'm going to trust the judgement of my assistant for the first season, and then work from there. My biggest problem appears to be that my entire squad is out of contract in the summer, so I've a few decisions to make. The club also has 4 players in on loan, and those 4 players account for nearly a quarter of my budget. I'm considering letting two of them go just to free up a little bit of budget, which might also help with the contract situation.

First update coming before the season starts.

stomilolsztynimage.png

OlsztyƄski Klub Sportowy Stomil Olsztyn

Media expectation: 15th (relegated)

Board expectation: avoid relegation

Transfer budget: ÂŁ0

Wage budget: ÂŁ4,351p/w (spending ÂŁ4,271p/w)

I sense this could be a difficult season. I've not had very much money to play with, and I'm expecting to go into the new season with no more than 22 players at the entire club. I've no youth team at all, and nobody in the reserves, so it's fair to say we're a very tight squad for the new season. No matter, you have to roll with the punches.

I decided to let all but one of the loan players who were at the club leave when I arrived, which saved me more than ÂŁ700p/w, and also meant I could bring in a few more players on permanent deals, but other than those, only one other player has left the club. Here's my list so far:

transferswl.png

The only player to leave the club was goalkeeper Piotr Skiba, who was quite frankly rubbish.

I've been able to find enough money to sign five players, all on free transfers:

Mikhail Kolyadko: The Belarusian is very versatile, and was the first signing I made. I'm expecting to use him most on the left wing, but his ability as a central midfielder can't be over-looked.

Pawel Linka: Linka solves our immediate goalkeeping crisis, although we do have two young goalkeepers at the club who will be much better than him.

Daniel Szczepankiewicz: This youngster was signed after a trial match, and I may yet try to loan him out to give him a little match-time.

Radoslaw Strzelecki Strzelecki offers us cover at left back, although he may yet become our starting full back. Should be pretty solid at this level.

Jhonatan The Brazilian was recommended by my new scout, and I'm also training him to play on the right too.

tacticsc.png

Nothing else to report: the board have so far denied all of my requests for better facilities, for extra coaches and a parent club, so it's going to be an interesting campaign.

Hate it when they deny for a parent club. Always nice to have extra funds coming in.

It's more getting players in on loan that's the issue. My squad is wafer thin, so two or three players in for free would do wonders!

Friendlies

friendlies1213.png

Just the three friendlies for me thanks to a lack of squad depth, but three wins was decent enough. The performances were a mixed bag, especially the game against Olimpia where it took three goals in the last 10 minutes to come away with the win, but I'm delighted with the victory over Ekstraklasa side Jagiellonia.

Finally ready to get the season started then, although we will lose Dominik Kun for the first few weeks thanks to a knock in our final friendly.

Good luck back in Poland, not least with the club and player names :D

Heh, cheers man. I actually watch a lot of Polish football anyway, so I should be OK.... my spelling won't be great though, so apologies to any Poles reading!

July & August 2012

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 2-1 Brzesko

A winning start at my new club, and the first game was a story of two penalties. We were in front before half time with a goal from front man Pawel Lukasik, but a soft penalty let the visitors back into it. Luckily, the referee had another decision left to give, and Mikhail Kolyadko smashed home the winner.

I Liga: Cracovia KrakĂłw 1-1 Stomil Olsztyn

An excellent result against the relegated side. We fell behind just after half time, but young Legia loanee Aleksander Jagiello levelled things up 15 minutes from time. We nearly won it in stoppage time too, but a late free kick hit the inside of the post.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 2-1 ƁKS ƁódĆș

A game I should have won by five or six was a little close for comfort in the end. Jagiello was on the scoresheet once more, and defender Pawel Baronowski grabbed the second.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 2-2 Arka Gdynia

The club won't let me employ a fitness coach at the moment, and it's certainly showing. For the second successive game we conceded late on, and this time it cost us points. Jhonatan's double had us in control, but we didn't keep our concentration. Still, a good display against one of the sides expected to be in top 3 this year.

I Liga: GKS Bogdanka 2-2 Stomil Olsztyn

Another game, another late goal conceded. Still, happy with a point away from home, our goals came from Filipek and Lukasik.

I Liga: Dolcan Ząbki 1-1 Stomil Olsztyn

Not a great display, but we're still unbeaten. Lukasik again on the score sheet, and I was able to introduce Kun to the squad after his injury.

Decent enough start:

august12.png

Quite a few drawn matches there, but decent position in the table.
Decent start, certainly gives you some hope of being competitive and not flirting with relegation for the season. Good luck getting a fitness coach in!
As you said,decent start so far.Hopefully you can start turning some of the draws into wins!

Cheers for your comments, lads. It could certainly be much worse than how things have started out.

September

Puchar Polski: Olimpia Elblag 2-3 Stomil Olsztyn

Another thriller in the cup, but I'm beginning to work out my weak link defensively. Our goals game from Lukasik, Jagiello and Filipek.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 1-2 Zawisza Bydgoszcz

Despite a brilliant first half, we fell apart in the second period and deservedly suffered our first defeat. Suchocki grabbed our goal on his 225th league appearance.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 2-0 Polonia Bytom

An excellent performance, and a clean sheet to boot. Both goals came in the first half, two headers from set pieces from Suchocki and Baranowski. We could have had more, but I'm happy with the two.

I Liga: GKS Tychy 4-3 Stomil Olsztyn

An awful defensive display from both sides and a dodgy penalty ensured we suffered our second defeat. Our goals game from Suchocki (2) and Glanowski, but I've got some work to do on us defensively!

I Liga: Flota ƚwinoujƛcie 0-5 Stomil Olsztyn

A stunning win, and Pawel Lukasik was the star. He bagged four goals and absolutely dominated the game. Kolyadko grabbed the other.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 1-1 GKS Katowice

A frustrating game against one of our relegation rivals. We had two goals disallowed, and Katowice basically scored with their only chance. Annoying, but Lukasik grabbed his 9th of the season.

Puchar Polski: Stomil Olsztyn 1-2 Ruch ChorzĂłw

A good display against a side who are currently 3rd in the top flight. Youngster Norbert Misiak grabbed our goal, but the cup dream is over for another year.

I Liga: Olimpia Grudziądz 2-2 Stomil Olsztyn

A good display in our final game of the month, especially as we played for 30 minutes with 10 men. Lukasik and Glanowski with our goals.

september12.png

All in all, a decent opening. The spots above you aren't that far off.

I'll be honest, I'm looking down rather than up at this stage. Eight points clear of the drop with a third of the season gone is decent enough.

Decent start so far, just need to convert a few of those draws to wins.

Yeah I hope so. Need to be a little tighter at the back, but I can only play the one way at the moment with the players I have available, and that means going at teams!

October

I Liga: Warta Poznan 0-3 Stomil Olsztyn

A fantastic win against another relegation rival, with Lukasik again on the score sheet. He grabbed the first and made the second for Suchocki, and Jagiello completed the scoring in the second half.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 1-0 Kolejarz StrĂłĆŒe

Anything but a classic, but an early Dominik Kun goal secured another victory.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 3-2 Termalica Bruk-Bet Nieciecza

Sometimes there are games of FM that have you celebrating goals like you're watching a real game of football. This was one of those games! We were 2-0 down at half time (after they'd had two shots) and I tore into my side at half time. They responded brilliantly, with the out-of-position Kazmierowski grabbing his first goal for the club after minutes. 8 minutes from time Lukasik levelled the scores, and he bagged a winner in the 87th minute. However, this game really did demonstrate just how small my squad is, and considering I can't even afford to renew contracts at the moment, that's quite disconcerting.

I Liga: MiedĆș Legnica 0-0 Stomil Olsztyn

This was a pretty dour game, but I'll take a point as I had to play more than 40 minutes with 10 men after Lukasik's red card.

I Liga: Okocimski KS Brzesko 1-2 Stomil Olsztyn

A really good month finishes with another victory. The returning Kolyadko grabbed both goals, although we were a bit slack in the second half.

october12.png

November

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 0-2 Sandecja Nowy Sącz

Without doubt our worst performance of the season. Far too many players simply didn't perform, but a first defeat in 9 isn't the end of the world.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 1-1 Cracovia KrakĂłw

Sooo close to an upset as the Autumn round comes to an end, but still a good point. Jagiello with a screamer.

ny1213.png

stomilolsztynimage.png

Mid season report 12/13

As you can see from my last post, it's been a good first half to the campaign. Considering we were expected to be relegation candidates, finding ourselves in that top 6 is quite a relief, although I have to admit any higher than that would just be a pipedream. Yes, we may just be a couple of points adrift, but I've been very lucky with injuries so far and I can't see that luck holding out in the second half of the campaign... that's not how FM works!

I'm still struggling for cash, and so at this time only 7 players in my first team squad have a contract that lasts until after the summer of 2013. That is quite concerning, especially as the club is haemorrhaging money each month which I suspect means a smaller budget next year. Having said that, my own contract expires in the summer, and I'll have to carefully consider if I'll be physically able to sign an entire a new squad in the 5 weeks I'll have between this season finishing and the next starting.

All in all though, I've enjoyed my first six months, so let's see what the second half of the season brings.

EDIT: I'm now into the transfer window, and two of my key players have signed contract agreements with other clubs as I simply can't offer them new deals. Winger Lukasz Suchocki is signing for Lech Poznan, while central defender Pawel Baranowski is off to WisƂa Kraków. Frustrating, but nothing I can do about it.

Also worth noting that I've already switched the Belarus league off and added the Scandanavian nations.

I'm having the same financial crisis as well. No matter how much you want to stay, sometimes it's just not feasible.

Yeah, it's a shame. I do want to stay I think, but my hands might just be tied. Still, I've six months left to play yet, I could still get sacked for all I know!

Winter friendlies

winterfriendlies1213.png

A decent run of games then in the winter. Although we took a bit of a hiding against Polonia, we've put in a few good displays so I can't complain too much.

I've also been able to extend a couple of contracts after deciding I could allow Syzmon Kazmierowski to leave the club, which is a bonus.

Tarachulski does look like he has the potential to grow, but you'd definitely have to coddle him a bit.

With the combination of coaches and training facilities available at my club, I don't rate his chances!

6ft 6 and has 16 jumping already at age of 15 :O He'll be a monster in the air once his game develops.

100% agreed, but as I just said, I'm dubious he'll show any real signs of development at the club. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

March

I Liga: ƁKS ƁódĆș 2-2 Stomil Olsztyn

This was a frustrating display, especially in the second half. Jagiello put us in front before we conceded a sloppy equaliser just after half time. Lukasik restored our lead, tucking home a Jagiello cross, but then ƁKS were camped in our half for the final half an hour and deservedly equalised with 6 minutes to go.

I Liga: Arka Gdynia 0-0 Stomil Olsztyn

We were unlucky here against a much bigger club. Indeed, they never really looked like scoring while we hit the woodwork three times, but I'm still pretty happy.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 0-0 GKS Bogdanka

We had 16 shots on goal but only 2 were on target, which tells you everything you need to know about this game.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 1-2 Dolcan Ząbki

Without a win in 6 now, and we were done no favours by our better U19 players being called up to the international squad. Bucholc, who has just agreed a deal to sign for ZagƂębie Lubin, grabbed our goal against the promotion contenders.

I Liga: Zawisza Bydgoszcz 1-1 Stomil Olsztyn

A tough game this one against a big club having a poor season. Kolyadko grabbed a late equaliser, and we could have won it in stoppage time.

march13.png

April

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 6-1 GKS Tychy

For this game I decided to change our shape from 4-2-3-1 to a standard 4-4-2, and it worked magnificently. Goals from Lukasik (2), Suchocki, Jagiello and a double from youngster Goga Lanchava got us a first win in 8 games.

I Liga: Polonia Bytom 7 (SEVEN) 0 Stomil Olsztyn

Just. Unreal.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 1-1 Flota ƚwinoujƛcie

This was a chance to make up for the previous defeat, but we simply didn't take it. Jagiello at least ensured we got a point.

I Liga: GKS Katowice 1-1 Stomil Olsztyn

14 draws in 28 games. Madness. Suchocki with the goal on the counter, but we've still only managed one win in 11.

april1213.png

I think I've made my decision for the end of the year. If I look at the club, I've awful training facilities, a stadium that's falling apart, awful youth facilities, no money and at least two thirds of my players are out of contract in the summer. Contract offer rejected.

May & June

I Liga: Kolejarz StrĂłĆŒe 0-3 Stomil Olsztyn

A victory! Jhonatan scored a brace and young Lanchava grabbed the other one.

I LIga: Stomil Olsztyn 1-2 Olimpia Grudziądz

*Sigh* A great performance followed by a dreadful one. We got precisely what we deserved here, despite Lukasik's 17th goal of the season in stoppage time. He also picked up a knock in the process of scoring which will see him miss the rest of the season.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 6-1 Warta PoznaƄ

A stunning win that ensures the lowest we can finish this year is 10th. Goals from Suchocki, Kun, Kolyadko, Filpek and Lanchava (2).

I Liga: Termalica Bruk-Bet Nieciecza 1-3 Stomil Olsztyn

Back to back wins! Goals from Jeglinski, Zwir and Majkowski secured the points.

I Liga: Sandecja Nowy Sącz 4-2 Stomil Olsztyn

A real pounding here in our final away game. Lanchava and Misiak with our goals.

I Liga: Stomil Olsztyn 2-1 MiedĆș Legnica

A win in the final game of the season which ensures a solid finish to the year. A double from departing defender Pawel Baronowski secured the points.

final1213.png

stomilolsztynimage.png

OlsztyƄski Klub Sportowy Stomil Olsztyn: Season Summary 2012/13

League

Media prediction: 15th (of 18 - relegated)

Finished: 5th

Cups

Puchar Polski: 2nd round (Cup winners: Ruch ChorzĂłw)

Top scorers

Pavel Lukasik (32 apps) 30 starts- 17 goals (16 in the league)

Lukasz Suchocki 35 apps- 8 goals (all in the league)

Positives

Considering I had very little money to work with and only made a couple of signings, finishing as high as 5th when we were expected to get relegated is a belter of a season. It's taken a while (thanks to real life as ever) but all in all it's been a good season. If we could have turned a few of those 14 draws into wins we could finished the season right up there too. I can't complain too much though, can I?

Concerns

Well, there are a few which is why I'm probably going to leave the club. We've lost thousands of pounds over the season and because of our contract and wage situation, three of my first team regulars have already signed pre-contract deals at other clubs while another 7 are set to leave at the end of the season. Thanks to the timing of the Polish season, I'd have about 8 days to replace pretty much an entire squad for the first game of the new season. Couple that with the lack of facilities and the inevitable budget cut, I think my decision has been made.

Ambitions

It's been a good first season, but I'm hoping I can now find a club with a slightly better infrastructure that I can look to build. I'm not fussed where that club is.

Surprise of the season

A solid fifth place finish with a side expected to get relegated is a bit of a surprise, really.

Player of the season

Pawel Baronowski (manager's choice)

Average attendance

3,044 in the league (4th highest in the division.)

Well, I've been unemployed for 6 weeks, and the only offers I seem to be getting are from the bottom rung of the Swedish ladder. I must have had a dozen offers from Sweden, and although plenty of Russian clubs have been "flattered by my interest", I haven't had any other offers.

My first non-Swedish offer was from Finland, and although it was a second tier club, I'm actually sorely tempted:

joboffer.png

The season is halfway through in mid-July, the club are in mid-table and 9 points off the top. However, the club have 1,300 season ticket holders and are averaging attendances of 2,000, which is more than half of the clubs in the Finnish Premier League. The club have a stadium that's in a very good condition, and better facilities than I had in Poland. I think I could turn them into a decent side...

Thoughts? A little over-eager to get back to work, or should I go for it?

clublogon.png

FK Torpedo Moskva

(with thanks to Wikipedia)

FC Torpedo Moscow is an association football club, based in Moscow, Russia. The club was founded in 1930.

Torpedo have won the National League Championship on three occasions, and have lifted the National Cup seven times. In 1957 Torpedo Moscow, as well as other Soviet sport clubs named "Torpedo", became a part of the republican VSS Trud of the Russian SFSR. Nicknamed the Black-Whites, Torpedo hasn't been a major force in Russian football since the days of Eduard Streltsov, the brilliant striker of the 1950s and 1960s, known as "the Russian Pele". Past glories for Torpedo include 3 USSR titles (1960, 1965, and autumn 1976), 6 USSR Cups (1949, 1952, 1960, 1968, 1972, 1986), 1 Russian Cup (1993), and 3 appearances in the quarterfinals of European/UEFA Cup competition, and one Ciutat de Lleida Trophy in 1991. The club used to belong to the ZIL automobile plant until a fallout in the mid-1990s that resulted in Torpedo leaving their historic ground and moving across town to Luzhniki, as they became property of the Luzhniki corporation and its name was changed to Torpedo-Luzhniki between (1996–1997) before it was renamed as Torpedo Moscow.

The club finished in third place in the Russian Premier League as recently as 2000, and play their football at the 13,450 capacity Eduard Streltsov Stadium.

stadiumoj.jpg

From FM

The club have just under 3,000 season ticket holders, and maintains fierce rivalries with all the other Moscow clubs. The club also has good training facilities, although sadly the same can't be said for the youth facilities, which are very basic. I'll hope to get them upgraded as soon as I can.

So just to tell you where I am then with my new club. I arrive 8 games in to the new season in mid-August, and it would appear I'm missing an assistant manager, so he obviously left with the previous gaffer. The club have 6 points from those first 8 games, and are sat second-bottom of the table, although only 2 points away from safety and just 4 points behind 11th placed Khimki. Nothing to worry about there.

My immediate concern is that I have two weeks to get my transfer business done, and a squad that is already lacking in numbers (and a bit of quality too, if I'm honest.) Here's the team report my coach gave me:

squadreport1.png

squadreport2.png

With the rules of the league stating I can't use more than three foreigners, I'm going to have to hope I can unearth some quality Russian talent between now and the window closing, especially as there are already 5 foreign players in my first team squad of 16. Yes, 16. I can have five players in on loan at any one time, so I'll look to bring in a couple more through that route too. This lad is perhaps the best player at the club at the moment:

kolev.png

Right then, on we go. 5 games in 16 days before the window closes, so I'll do a joint transfer/ first few games update in a little while. The good news at least is that there's quite a bit of leeway for wages, although I have no plans on going overboard as I know cash is tight in lower league Russia.

EDIT: I do have an assistant, I just couldn't see him on the staff list! Still, he's awful so I've sacked him...

Archived