Official Euro 2012 - The Italian Tactic & Team Guide

ITALY

Handed one of the toughest groups at Euro 2012, Italy’s preparations for the tournament were hampered by the eruption of a match-fixing scandal that saw the team’s training base raided and left Cesare Prandelli without defender Domenico Criscito, who is under investigation for his alleged involvement in a wide-reaching case that has also seen Juventus Coach Antonio Conte come under formal investigation.

With the spectre of criminality hanging over Italian football once more, comparisons have perhaps inevitably been drawn to the 2006 World Cup, when the Calciopoli case was in full force, but the Azzurri somehow defied the controversy to become world champions. This time around, Italy’s tournament is likely to fall into one of two categories - glorious success or inglorious failure. If Prandelli’s team can escape a group containing holders and world champions Spain, dark horses Croatia and a Republic of Ireland side led by Giovanni Trapattoni, they may prove difficult to stop. But if the group proves too much for the Italians, it will be back to the drawing board for the Coach.

The outcome of Italy’s first fixture then will be crucial. Spain are the opposition in Gdansk on June 10 and a victory over La Rioja not only puts the Italians in a strong position to escape the group as winners, but also sends a message that they are a force to be reckoned with after finishing bottom of their group at the 2010 World Cup, picking up only two points in the process. With the talent available to Prandelli, Italy should not fear Spain, but Italy have been slow starters in tournaments of late - a 1-1 draw with Paraguay in South Africa was actually an improvement on the opening match of Euro 2008, a 3-0 defeat to the Netherlands. It was much the same in qualifying, when Italy were a goal down to Estonia with an hour gone, although they did rally with two goals in three minutes.

Italy eventually strolled to qualification, thanks in part to the abandonment of the home tie with Serbia after crowd trouble. A 3-0 win was awarded to Italy, effectively ending Serbia’s chances of qualification and leaving Estonia as Italy’s nearest challengers, albeit only nominal ones. Italy won the group by nine points, did not lose a game and conceded only twice - impressive statistics but it must be remembered the standard of the group was not the highest, certainly not on par with what Italy will face in Euro 2012. Even against such meagre opposition Italy occasionally struggled, needing an Antonio Cassano goal that looked suspiciously offside to defeat the Faroe Islands in the away fixture after the home side had twice hit the woodwork.

Prandelli can at least call on some stalwarts of qualification and Italy’s past success. Gianluigi Buffon remains a formidable figure in goal and will captain the side, while a number of Juventus’ Serie A-winning squad will also be present - hard-nosed defender Giorgio Chiellini, Andrea Pirlo, the metronomic playmaker, their all-action teammate Claudio Marchisio, World Cup winner Andrea Barzagli b, but Alessando Matri misses out in attack. Attack is the area of the field to give Prandelli greatest concern - Mario Balotelli is likely to lead the line, but the Manchester City striker is as liable to cost his side the game as he is to win it for them. Who will partner Balotelli in Prandelli’s 4-3-1-2, and who will support the attack, are issues to press the Coach further.

Coach - Cesare Prandelli: Appointed after Italy’s 2010 World Cup failure, the former Fiorentina boss was named Italy’s Coach of the Year in 2009 after taking La Viola into the Champions League. A European Cup winner as a player with Juventus, Prandelli has also coached Roma and Parma in a managerial career dating back to 1993.

One to watch - Mario Balotelli: The 21-year-old could be the player of the tournament if he avoids the off-field and disciplinary problems that have shadowed his career thus far. Prandelli has claimed to trust Balotelli after the striker promised to behave in Euro 2012, but only time will tell if the Premier League winner is true to his word.

Possible XI:

Buffon

Maggio - Barzagli - Chiellini - Balzaretti

De Rossi - Pirlo - Marchisio

Motta

Balotelli - Di Natale

As you can see, Italy will more than likely play a 4-3-1-2 formation, solid at the back and also allowing the more creative player, Motta, the chance to link up with everyones most loved/hated player Balotelli and the ever dangerous Di Natale. In goal, Italy have one of the worlds most famous and recognised keepers in Buffon. Any team in the world would find it difficult to not find a starting place for him. The defense is not quite the once feared defense of old. Chiellini aside and the defense hardly sends the opposition attackers into hiding, but what Italy have is De Rossi and Pirlo who will look to break up attacks and get the ball forward as quickly as possible.

Below will be the full squad selected.

GOALKEEPERS

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus) Born: 28.01.78 Caps: 113. Arguably still one of the best in the world, despite advancing years, the 2006 World Cup winner is a man never afraid to speak his mind, now returning to his commanding best after a couple of difficult seasons with Juventus.

Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli) Born: 26.03.77 Caps: 4. In the squad at Euro 2008 and the last World Cup but remains in Buffon's shadow, unable to break into the team, and will probably be too old to take over when his rival quits. Clocked up 99 consecutive appearances for Napoli, a run which ended this season.

Salvatore Sirigu (Paris St Germain) Born: 12.01.87 Caps: 2. Former Palermo keeper, given a chance by Walter Zenga, has adapted well since moving to big-money Paris St Germain. Was on 28-man shortlist for 2010 World Cup, but failed to make the cut.

DEFENDERS

Ignazio Abate (AC Milan) Born: 12.11.86 Caps: 2 Goals: 0. Raised at AC Milan where he has returned after a number of spells out on loan. Originally a midfielder, came into his own at right back under leadership of Massimiliano Allegri, regularly joins attacks with runs down flank.

Federico Balzaretti (Palermo) Born: 06.12.81 Caps: 7 Goals: 1. Former Under-21 international 'Balzac' was drafted in by current coach Cesare Prandelli. Part of the team that helped Juventus out of Serie B, he has been at Palermo since 2008.

Andrea Barzagli (Juventus) Born: 08.05.81 Caps: 28 Goals: 0. Was in Italy squads for 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008, then left out for three years, before being recalled by Prandelli.

Christian Maggio (Napoli) Born: 11.02.82 Caps: 15 Goals: 0. Can play on the right of defence or midfield, and his speedy runs offer Italy an alternative attacking strategy if needed. Has good eye for goal.

Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus) Born: 14.08.84 Caps: 50 Goals: 2. Fabio Cannavaro's replacement in central defence, is much admired for his never-say-die attitude and goal threat from corners. Ever-present in qualifiers but may switch to left-back following the exclusion of Domenico Criscito.

Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus) Born: 01.05.87 Caps: 13 Goals: 2. Was Chiellini's partner in defence, but fell out of favour in last few months. An excellent last-gasp tackler and rare example of a young Italian earning playing time in Serie A and the national squad.

Angelo Ogbonna (Torino) Born: 23.05.88 Caps: 2 Goals: 0. Born in Italy of Nigerian parents, Ogbonna impressed in Serie B to win call-ups for friendlies. Survived a horrific car crash in 2008.

MIDFIELDERS

Thiago Motta (Paris St Germain) Born: 28.08.82 Caps: 7 Goals: 1. The Brazilian-born player represented the South Americans at the Gold Cup in 2003, but as they fielded an Under-23 team he was allowed by FIFA to change allegiance to Italy and made his debut in 2011.

Antonio Nocerino (AC Milan) Born: 09.04.85 Caps: 10 Goals: 0. Arguably one of the most-improved Serie A players after joining AC Milan from Palermo, featured regularly for Italy since recall in March 2011 after an absence of two-and-a-half years.

Andrea Pirlo (Juventus) Born: 19.05.79 Caps: 82 Goals 9. Deep-lying playmaker, has enjoyed a new lease of life since move to Juventus after 10 seasons with AC Milan. Inspired Italy's 2006 World Cup win but missed two of their three games in South Africa through injury.

Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma) Born: 24.07.83 Caps: 71 Goals: 10. One of the world's most dynamic midfielders, can tackle, shoot and pass well. One of the 2006 World Cup winners, is squad's leading scorer at international level and much less volatile nowadays.

Claudio Marchisio (Juventus) Born: 19.01.86 Caps: 19 Goals: 1. Picked for problem berth in midfield, adaptable with a keen eye for goal and a delightful touch, played a key role in Juventus's impressive revival this season.

Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina) Born: 18.01.85 Caps: 32 Goals: 1. Elegant, comfortable on the ball and a good passer, often seen as Pirlo's successor, but shares same problem in scoring goals. A regular under Prandelli, but remains to be seen if Fiorentina's dismal season affects his form.

Alessandro Diamanti (Bologna) Born: 02.05.83 Caps: 1 Goals: 0

Emanuele Giaccherini (Juventus) Born: 05.05.85 Caps: 0 Goals: 0

FORWARDS

Mario Balotelli (Manchester City) Born: 12.08.90 Caps: 7 Goals 1. Maverick, hugely gifted striker, but question remains as to whether his talents, or unpredictable behaviour, will prevail. Already warned and overlooked by Prandelli for disciplinary reasons in the past.

Antonio Cassano (AC Milan) Born: 12.07.82 Caps: 28 Goals: 9. Talented but volatile striker who has became a regular under Prandelli, having been overlooked by Marcello Lippi. Underwent heart surgery in November but recovered in time for Euro 2012.

Sebastian Giovinco (Parma) Born: 26.01.87 Caps: 7 Goals: 0. Diminutive attacking midfielder, used mainly as a substitute in qualifiers. Struggled during four seasons with Juventus, but came to life after joining Parma two years ago.

Antonio Di Natale (Udinese) Born: 13.10.77 Caps: 36 Goals: 10

Fabio Borini (Roma) Born 29.03.91 Caps: 1 Goals: 0

Another possible formation that Italy could adopt would be

http://eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/eurosport/20120601/25/9981e77b1ea32400c7be03587966c602.png

So here is the squad and potential tactics and i hope the discussions will be as eventful as the news surrounding the National team.

Thanks, and i am unsure as to if Giovinco will feature heavily considering the sparse appearances during Qualifying. I have always been a huge admirer of the Italians and have a sneaky feeling we could be seeing an Italy-England QF. I definatley put them down as Semi-Finalists and with a bit of luck they could spring a surprise. We will see :)

Nocerino is a player to watch out for and could have a big tournament.

If he's anything like his fmh12 version then he could blast in to the Tournament. I've heard some good reports. Can play across the midfield with great overall skills and he seems to have developed a hunger to reach his early career potential again.

Always like to see who is tipped and how they'll do. It's always gutsy to put a name out there

Thank you for sharing this great article. Prandelli seems like manager, who probably will never be a Champions League winner, but despite that he will be remembered as a great manager. His work at Viola in era of Luca Toni and Pazzini was outstanding.

It seems La Nazionale doesn't have much world-class players in this major international tournament, but Italy has always had the desire and heart to get them through in most cases. There are areas in the team I am concerned about most notably in defense. I don't feel Italy should be pressured to win this tournament but to at least make it out the tough group while making individual player progress for growth in the coming years.

As for the tactics I really hope Italy doesn't go with a 3 man defense and if they stay with the 4-man backline Ignacio Abate would be more suited for right-back over Maggio

I hope Italy do go 3 at the back, then they can actually win Euros. If they play 4 at the back they can't imo. The Euros are calling out for a team to play 3 at the back and out of all the teams it suits Italy best. Honestly, seeing as everyone will be playing 4231 then if someone actually is brave enough to 3 at the back they can counter the midfield threat of the 4231 and nullify it.

it seems that italy will go with 352 against spain. although during the qualifying they played with 4 at the back, it seems that prandelli will go with the system used by juventus so far this season. it's a necessary choice as a huge number of juve players are in the team. with barzagli out by injury, it seems that will be de rossi to replace him at the back (a solution that also luis enrique tried with roma this season, but with poor results).

tomorrow's formation (supposed by sky sport italia pundits)

buffon

bonucci de rossi chiellini

maggio (abate) thiago-motta pirlo marchisio giaccherini (balzaretti)

balotelli cassano (di natale)

i my opinion i see three issues with this formation:

de rossi can't play at the back

bonucci used to play in the middle of the defensive pack, with barzargli on the centre-right. he probably lacks a bit of pace.

thiago can't play as a box to box midfielder like arturo vidal did with juve this season

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289528-The-SI-Sports-Centre-All-You-Need-To-Know-About-FM

Edit : Post #32 :)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289530-The-SI-Sports-Centre-DISCUSSION-THREAD

In those two thread Cleon discusses at length, pretty much EVERYTHING he's done, there's even a 3 at the back formation in there, I just can't be bothered to find the actual post number at the moment. Even without handing out the tactics, if you have the time, reading through his stuff should pretty much let anyone build almost any formation.

Heck, I still go back and read through them when things aren't quite going right and then usually something hits me and i just kinda go "duh, i knew that already, why the hell wasn't i doing it"

Also in there is :

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/106245-W-M-Discussion-Thread.-An-attempt-to-recreate-the-historical-formation

A pretty interesting read about a 3 at the back formation, once again with some good ideas to get you started.

I wasn't impressed with how they played against Croatia tbh. It's vital that the wing-backs bomb forward and swing in crosses for the front two but Balotelli and Cassano kept drifting away from the box. Balotelli drifts into the deep central areas and took a couple of shots at goal and Cassano kept working the channels. Pirlo bossed the game in the first half but faded as he was forced deep in the second half to nullify Modric's threat. Would like to see more attacking threat against the Irish but they should do fine.

I think at first the Italians thought that their wide men could be employed a wingers instead of wing backs, and

in the first half hour i seem to remember Croatia beating them down both sides of the pitch and putting threatening balls in to

Mandzukic and Jelavic. When the wingers pulled back into wing back positions in the second half had you saw Modric come

into the space behind the attackers. This is where i think Di Natale should have pushed on into his natural deep midfield

position where he could have won the ball and allowed Pirlo to roam in midfield as he did in the first half which i

also think would have brought the best out of Balotelli

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the formation and roles vs England as below with Pirlo in a very dynamic version of the deep-lying playmaker position. The midfield roles are up for debate as Montolivo could be considered an Advanced playmaker, De Rossi perhaps a Ball-winning Midfielder. They initially started playing a counter orientated strategy which quickly evolved into more of a controlling one as England began to sit more and more deeply on the field. They Wingbacks did their jobs well bombing forward and supporting the attack, and Balotelli lead the line fantastically, some more composure and luck and he could have bagged a few the number of time he made our offside trap look futile. Pirlo was given complete freedom over the directness of his passing because restraint on a player with such accuracy would be pointless. His balls over the top were a constant threat. De Rossi helped with the pressuring of England but the whole Italian team pressed well when not in possession of the ball. I would describe the philosophy in this game as quite fluid, as the defence found themselves contributing to attack and vice versa.

Buffon (GK): Keeper [Defend]

Abate (RB): Wingback [Attack]

Bonucci (CB): Defender [Defend]

Barzagli (CB): Defender [Defend]

Balzaretti (LB): Wingback [Attack]

Pirlo (DMC): Deep-lying Midfielder[support]

De Rossi (MC): Central Midfielder [Defend]

Montolivo (MC): Central Midfielder [Attack]

Marchisio (MC): Central Midfielder [support]

Cassano (ST): Deep-lying Forward [support]

Balotelli (ST): Advanced Forward [Attack], (switching to Deep Lying Forward [support] for second half).

For the first time in my life, I saw an Italian team playing beautiful football. Great at defence, obviously, it's Italy, but beautiful playing when attacking. Yesterday, Italy played well and deserved the win. They even deserved one or two more goals. Congratulations. Now, kick Spain's butt for us.

It's going to be interesting to see how Prandelli sets his team up in the final, will he stick to the 4-4-2 diamond that has done well in the knockout rounds or return to the 3-5-2 which caused Spain problems in their first game?

Personally I'd be tempted to go back to the 3-5-2 shape, in the first game the Italian wing-backs high positioning caused Arbeloa and Alba to be much more conservative with their forays forward making Spain narrow, playing into the hands of Italy's back three.

And at the same time, once spain created a bit of width with navas they looked a lot more dangerous. Going to be a fun final tactically. I personally think the spanish system would chew up the diamond so I'd be the same as you mojojojo and go back to the 3-5-2, but I guess a lot will depend on who is fit to play.

Prandelli has done well to get them this far, it will be interesting to see what he does for the final.

Archived