FM12: Blackpool F.C. – ‘The Tangerine Dream (Of Bouncebackability)'

Mooki3

Blackpool Football Club: The Official FM 12 Thread

Blackpool%20FC.png

Blackpool Football Club are an English football club founded in 1887 from the Lancashire seaside town of Blackpool. They are competing in the 2011–12 season of the The Championship, the second tier of professional football in England, having been relegated from the Premier League at the end of the 2010–11 campaign. It was their debut season in the Premier League, and it was their first appearance in England's top flight since 1971. They hold the record for being the only club in English football to be promoted through all four divisions via the play-offs. The club's home ground has been Bloomfield Road since 1901, and their main nicknames are the Seasiders, the 'Pool and the Tangerines, the latter in reference to the colour of their home kit, which is often mistaken for orange. Their motto is Progress, as featured on the club crest. They have a fierce local rivalry with Preston North End, who currently play in the third tier. Meetings between the two clubs are known as the West Lancashire derby.

Blackpool's most notable achievement is winning the 1953 FA Cup Final, the so-called "Matthews Final", in which they beat Bolton Wanderers 4–3, overturning a 1–3 deficit in the closing stages of the game. During that post-war period, Blackpool made three Wembley appearances in six years and came close to winning the League Championship on several occasions. They also supplied the national teams with many players, notably for England in 1953 when four Blackpool men lined up at Wembley, causing the Daily Mirror to declare that "Blackpool F.C. are playing Hungary today", though it became a day that English football fans would rather forget. Their least successful period came in the 1980s, and in 1982–83 they finished 21st in English League football's lowest tier, their lowest-ever League finish.

The club has been managed since May 2009 by Ian Holloway, who guided them to the Premier League in his first season in charge. At the end of the 2010–11 season, Holloway's win-percentage in League matches as Blackpool manager was 34.5%.

FM Profile:

profilebw.jpg

FM Information: General

infojs.jpg

FM Information: Facilities

facilitiesn.jpg

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Club

The Stadium: Bloomfield Road

bloomfield_road.ashx

Bloomfield Road is an all-seater football stadium in the English town of Blackpool, Lancashire. It has been the permanent home of Blackpool F.C. since 1901 and is named after the road on which the stadium's main entrance used to stand. The stadium has been in a process of redevelopment since 2000. June of that year saw the demolition of the Spion Kop at the north end of the ground; an all-seated stand has now replaced it. The rebuilding of the West Stand was completed in August 2002. In March 2010, the South Stand, whose original structure was pulled down in 2003, was opened by Jimmy Armfield, the former Blackpool player for whom the stand is named. A temporary East Stand is currently in place, opened on 28 August 2010, with a capacity of 5,120 seats, initially increasing capacity to 16,220 with further hospitality seating in the South Stand to be installed later in the year. Bloomfield Road is currently the 54th-largest stadium by capacity in England and the 22nd-largest in the Championship.

Before moving to Bloomfield Road, Blackpool had called two other grounds home during their short existence. Firstly, between 1896 and 1897, they played their fifteen home Football League matches at Raikes Hall Gardens (also known as the Pleasure Gardens). In 1897, they moved to the Athletic Grounds at the present-day Stanley Park, which hosted thirty-two League matches over two seasons. After a short spell back at Raikes Hall Gardens in 1899, during their season out of the League, and again for all but the first home game of the 1900–01 campaign, Blackpool made the permanent move to Bloomfield Road.

The record attendance at the original Bloomfield Road was 38,098, which occurred when Blackpool played Wolverhampton Wanderers on 17 September 1955. The record at the reconstructed stadium is 16,116, which occurred for the visit of Manchester City on 17 October 2010. The record gate receipts for a home game is £72,949, for the FA Cup third-round tie against Tottenham Hotspur on 5 January 1991.

The stadium hosted three matches during the 2005 UEFA Women's Championship. It has also been the venue for the annual final of the Northern Rail Cup, a rugby league tournament, since 2005.

The club's mascot, who can be seen at every home game, is Bloomfield Bear. He replaced the long-serving Cable Cat, who was retired in June 2000.

Between September 1900 and the present day, Blackpool have played 2,117 Football League games at Bloomfield Road. Between August 2010 and May 2011, they played nineteen Premier League games at the ground. Of these they won five (26%), drew five (26%) and lost nine (48%).

The Fans: Seaside Barmy Army

Bloomfield_Road_invasion-geograph-1840405.jpg

Blackpool supporters are known by the general terms Tangerine Army or Seaside Barmy Army. Whilst Blackpool have the lowest average home attendance in the Premier League, the atmosphere generated by the home support is regarded as loud and intimidating.

After Steve McMahon resigned as Blackpool manager in 2004, he said of the Tangerine support: "During my time here, the supporters have been fantastic and are a credit to the club. Whilst they have that support, I am sure they can go a long way. I think both on and off the pitch the club is going forward in a big way and unfortunately I'm not part of that anymore.". The club was promoted three years later to the Championship, and again in 2010 to the Premier League for the 2010–11 season.

Scunthorpe United manager Nigel Adkins, speaking in November 2007, said of Bloomfield Road: "It's an intimidating place to go." In February 2008, Mick McCarthy, manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers praised the Blackpool support, saying: "It's an amazing crowd they have. There are only two sides but you wouldn't believe it, it was fabulous. The drum roll and everyone chanting drove them on."

In September 2009, freelance journalist Mike Whalley said after attending a game against Peterborough United: "The home fans certainly make plenty of noise. Bloomfield Road does not lack for atmosphere. Or a drummer. Every home game is played to a thumping drum beat." After Blackpool beat Newcastle United 2–1 on 16 September 2009, Scott Wilson of The Northern Echo wrote: "Almost 10,000 spectators created a hostile and intimidating atmosphere that was a throwback to footballing days gone by" while the Sky Sports match report described the Blackpool support as "boisterous".

In May 2010, the club held a Promotion Parade along the promenade after they gained promotion to the Premier League. On the stage at the Waterloo Headlands manager Ian Holloway jokingly said to the gathered 60,000 crowd: "Where have you been all season?" This was in reference to the average League-game attendance of only 8,611 at Bloomfield Road during the 2009–10 campaign, though this was largely down to the fact that the capacity of the ground was just over 9,000 until the opening of the Armfield Stand in March 2010.

Upon Blackpool's rise to the Premier League, chairman Karl Oyston vowed to increase the stadium capacity to over 16,000 with a temporary stand, which will later be made permanent. This stand is expected to be ready for the opening game against Wigan Athletic, who are expected to have a large following. Progress of this stand can be viewed here.

In July 1999, Seasiders fans' group BISA (Blackpool Independent Supporters Association) voted overwhelmingly to scrap its independence and accept the offer to become the club's official supporters' group.

Seven-year-old Blackpool fan Kian Kelly made the national media after being caught by the Sky Sports cameras celebrating at the end of the Seasiders' victory over Wigan Athletic in their debut match in the Premier League on 14 August 2010. He was also featured in a half-page photograph, illustrating his tri-colour dyed hair, on the front page of the sports section of The Guardian.

Two days after the game, he appeared on Sky Sports News and was invited to Blackpool's Squires Gate training ground, where Charlie Adam presented him with two tickets to the club's next Premier League match, at Arsenal on 21 August.

On 28 August 2010 Blackpool played Fulham in their first-ever home Premier League game, in front of a crowd of 15,529, the largest attendance for over thirty years at Bloomfield Road. On Sky Sports' Football First programme, co-commentator Barry Horne said: "They are a fantastic crowd. I've watched a lot of Championship games here and the crowd have always been brilliant; they get behind their team." Commentator Will Cope later said: "It's deafening; deafening by the seaside. You wouldn't have thought 15,000 fans could make so much noise." After the game Fulham manager Mark Hughes also praised the home support saying that the atmosphere in the stadium would really help the team in their debut season in the Premier League.

The Kits

Home:

5956578900_897f3d8cf5.jpg

Away:

New-Blackpool-Away-Shirt-11-12.jpg

Blackpool first began wearing tangerine for the 1923–24 season, after a recommendation from referee Albert Hargreaves, who officiated an international match between the Netherlands and Belgium and was impressed by the Dutchmen's colours.

Before changing to tangerine permanently, the team tried several different colours: blue-and-white striped shirts in the 1890s (becoming known as the Merry Stripes); a mixture of red or white shirts at the turn of the twentieth century; and, during World War I, black, yellow and red. The latter was adopted to include the colours of the flag of Belgium, a show of support for the large number of Belgian refugees that had arrived in the town.

After the war, they wore white shirts and navy-blue shorts. The board introduced another change in 1934 when the team appeared in alternating dark- and light-blue stripes (which have been reintroduced several times in the mid-1990s and 2002, as well as Blackpool's return to the top flight in 2010 as the club's third kit), but they bowed to public pressure in 1939 and settled on tangerine. Between 1938 and 1958 Blackpool's kit consisted of tangerine shirts, white shorts and navy blue socks. The club now uses tangerine socks, though navy was used as a secondary colour in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

In August 1997, psychic Uri Geller said that Blackpool's new all-blue away strip would prove to be unsuccessful due to the lack of "psychic energy" that the players would get. The kit was subsequently worn for the first time at Bristol City, where the Seasiders suffered their first defeat of the season.

Your Squad

Squad Strength

squadstrength.jpg

Position-by-Position

‘Keepers

Matthew Gilks is a great keeper for this division, technically very good in all aspects of his goalkeeping and Mark Howard seems to be a good back-up choice too. Not too much to work about in this department at all.

Top Prospect: Chris Kettings, 18 year-old Scotsman could be a future international.

Centre Backs

Craig Cathcart being one of the very first names on the team-sheet and only being 22 is great news for you going forward, he’s a big No. 5 you could build your defence around. Partner him up with Chris Basham, 22 year old athletic CB (Although natural DM) or another big man in the form of Ian Evatt depending on your style of play.

Top Prospect: Ashley Eastham, currently on loan at Bury... Not up to much, you need a youth target in this position.

Full Backs

Another U23 in the shape of Wales international Neal Eardley is your first choice, on the other flank 30 year-old Scotsman Stephen Crainey is your best option. Alex John-Baptiste is a more than capable back-up for the RB slot (and CB too), however you may find it necessary to invest in a back-up LB.

Top Prospect: Not much in this department, sorry lads.

Centre Midfielders

Barry Ferguson, brought in replace Charlie Adam in the summer, is one of the best players in this division. He’s a box-to-box style midfielder so you will probably need someone to cover the defence when he marauds forward; Ludovic Sylvestre is the man for that job. The athletic Frenchman will sit and win the ball and but is very tasty when in possession too. Ángel and Keith Southern provide good defensive minded cover, while most of the wingers / strikers can play as offensively minded midfielders.

Top Prospect: Liam Tomsett, attack minded 19 year-old.

Wingers

Young Frenchman Elliot Grandin is an excellent player to have on the wing in this division, Matt Phillips is 20 year-old who is more than fit for your first team on the other side, and one who will progress to easily become a Premier League player in the future. Billy Clarke is another fairly young player who can play in your side now and is showing great potential, while Bojan Djordjic is a good squad player.

Top Prospect: Matt Phillips (But also: Thomas Ince and Gerardo Bruna, I’ve had both of these two players in League winning Liverpool sides on previous FMs, so look forward to seeing what they can do for me here).

Strikers

Gary Taylor-Fletcher is prolific at this level and the 30 year-old can be relied upon for goals, ditto Kevin Phillips (but for how much longer, one must question). Brett Ormerod and Daniel Bogdanovic are pretty weak back-up and something you might need to think about restoring.

Top Prospect: Louis Almond, 19 year-old forward currently on loan to Barrow, but looks a good prospect.

So as you can see, as far as your XI goes, looking quite good in most positions but you certainly need more depth in most positions (bar the wings) and one or two top youngsters to keep up pressure on the first team wouldn’t go amiss either.

Formations

4-3-3

433qa.jpg

Blackpool’s sheer number of technically excellent passers and decision makers in the team make them prime candidates for a Dutch 4-3-3 style of play, I would use Brett Ormerod up top in this formation as his strength and high work-rate will allow other players into the game more.

4-4-2

442vn.jpg

If you’re a bit more traditional then I’d go for something that looks like this, I use the wingers in advanced positions as I finds they really pin back opposition full-backs and actually work to my advantage defensively. Try mixing it up with the wingers swapping sides, both are competent at playing either side.

4-2-3-1

4231j.jpg

And again, a good creative but defensively solid formation, which suits Blackpool. Note again how I’ve used Ormerod as the lone forward.

So... Why Choose Blackpool?

Aside from the historic ground, remarkable support and sexy locals that I’ve already displayed for you... well;

1. It’s a club with a great squad to make a challenge on a very competitive league, a squad that I you’re good enough should be enough to take you up without spending a single penny.

2. But, you won’t have to worry about not spending a penny as due to the brilliant financial state Blackpool are in- you see; they got promoted to the Premier League and hardly spent a penny, instead letting the coinage collect interest in a bank. This has led to the club having a massive overall balance of £51m, which means you can build something very big here, that should leave the board with no excuses not to invest in the facilities! So potential to build something massive without having one of those disguising sugar daddy types(Look at the pic for proof):

finances.jpg

3. Due to the sale of Charlie Adam to Liverpool, you get a nice big fat wedge of cash to start the game with (see pic for proof):

startcash.jpg

4. The chairman loves the club and will take all the steps possible to match your achievements

5. It’s basically the perfect club for a long term game of FM, the are (in terms of balance) the 6th richest club in the land, and it's all been earned... Not just stumbled upon like some from up the road. You’ll be competitive from day one but you’ll have to be good to take advantage of every strain of your management ability to fufill that potential.

6. They play in Orange (see: Tangerine)... What more do you want?!

So I've just started my first season with the mighty seasiders; I've decided to shift a few of the older players that I can get some cash for on and brought in a fair old few players who are U18- I've spent some pretty serious money too (over 48 months), I'll post an image once were at the end of the window.

Good fun so far- If you're playing with Blackpool then get posting & and if your not playing with Blackpool, then why the hell not?!

look at this thread and was excited by the prospect of getting blackpool back into the prem.

Transfers In: Jordi Gomez 1.8m

Jamil Adam Free

Jack Robinson Loan

Transfers Out: Keith Southern 550k

What do you think of those signings so far and is there anywhere else that needs strengthening

Decided to be Blackpool too because of this thread, think it's fair to say the £51m bank balance persuaded me a bit!

Bought Alex McCarthy (£1.1m), Darwin Quintero (£2.5m), Jack Robinson (Loan), Rio Miyaichi (Loan), Danny Wilson (Loan) and loaned out Bob Harris, Thomas Ince, Gerardo Bruna, Liam Tomsett and Chris Kettings.

Mooki3, do you mind me asking where you got your blackpool facepack from please?!

I've just downloaded that main facepack thing, not any individuals, I think some of their faces are in the game anyway as they're a championship side... Could very well be wrong though.

Thanks to those of you who have shown your appreciation for the OP, your too kind!

And:

scott MUFC: £4m-5m for a side at this level is brilliant money!!

SRL88: I enjoyed that too!!

Nice one guys- happy posting!

Have started as Blackpool, won my first 2 league games, both 2-0 against Southampton and Derby.

Have signed a 17 year old called Leonardo Bittencourt. He's gone straight into my starting 11. If you'd like a screenshot let me know.

4-5 mill is great. if you can acctually spend it. may have a few players in mind if they will acctually go into contract talks

got pogba and McEachran on loan took ages.

so beat sheffield wednesday 5-0 in a friendly. then drew 0-0 with mansfield? (wtf)

singings so far:

materazzi on a free (he is 37 but still fantastic stats)

65AC08AFBFFFFD3B2EB440D5E9E7C8676A2C4E16

set him to attack near post corners :D

jordi gomez 1.8 million

hearts outplayed and beaten them 2-1

same with sheffield wednesday

league games

crystal palace got an undeserved 2-2 draw

then i beat chesterfield 3-0 in the league cup. :D

also board is improving the youth facilities

ok i also had a good start. now i got mceachran and pogba back from international duty so have only used them once each so far.

sat in playoffs.

spent 2 million on a striker (with monthly payments) and what a striker it is

524813FC48E7B0BA5B9772FB7F67DEDCE53EB28C

also took a punt on jamal adam just before this went thorugh. he forced quite a few corners

also got this away win.

03D2B6E28302CCB6F84BA1888799C48A3E01E646

cardiff have lost every game so far.. even a league cup game to hereford lol

evatt is my top scorer. he always seems to score from a free kick onto his head.

Have started as Blackpool, won my first 2 league games, both 2-0 against Southampton and Derby.

Have signed a 17 year old called Leonardo Bittencourt. He's gone straight into my starting 11. If you'd like a screenshot let me know.

Do it!! Always good to check out a few good young players, I only buy U18s so will be interesting to see.

ok i also had a good start. now i got mceachran and pogba back from international duty so have only used them once each so far.

sat in playoffs.

spent 2 million on a striker (with monthly payments) and what a striker it is

524813FC48E7B0BA5B9772FB7F67DEDCE53EB28C

also took a punt on jamal adam just before this went thorugh. he forced quite a few corners

also got this away win.

03D2B6E28302CCB6F84BA1888799C48A3E01E646

cardiff have lost every game so far.. even a league cup game to hereford lol

evatt is my top scorer. he always seems to score from a free kick onto his head.

I bought Yaya! I know he becomes very good as I've had him with Liverpool before! Also, congrats thats a great result... You lads have inspired me- may well load up my save shortly.

how did you sign bittencourt, i could not get him with the money i offered (about 2-3 million) and was told not avaialble on enquiry

well few more games in the games and backroom advice is telling me top gilks... even though he hasn't conceded for 355 minutes :/

drew with table topping ipswich after going 2-0 up.

currently sat in 3rd with ipswich and west ham 2 points above me

next game is swansea.. in the league cup at home.

for some reason the advice is not selecting any of my signings in my first 11, granted everyone is playing superb, but when sanogo and pogba are not being selected?

also noticed i only had one scout, picked up some average ones. one has knowledge of the USA AND the carribean. and backroom has adviced me to send scouts to spain and france now.

USA could be a very happy hunting ground.

i offered 2 million and was refused.

but with a scout with USA knowledge gonna have some with that come youth intakes and got my eye on a couple of MLS players come january window.

seems doncaster are storming through the league as well. every save i have played they have been terrible.

i;ll have another shot in january.

Just started a Blackpool save, about to kick off the season. My transfers so far:

blackpooltransfers2011.jpg

Good luck bro, some good players coming in there!! Your big job now will be to bed them all in. Keep us informed of how i goes!!

bit.png

wow.

Definitely a rising star in Bittencourt, he's had 11 first team appearances so far. He's been looking fantastic in the last 5 matches.

God, he's getting good fast- good spot sir!! Keep us updated with him please.

Started a Blackpool save last week.

Didn't spend much in the first transfer window: brought in Haris Vuckic and Danny Wilson on loan, got Kristian Nemeth and Lua Lua on a free, and bought Adam Vass and Teko Modise for 600k and 200k respectively. By January I was 10 points clear at the top of the league, and was rewarded with a transfer budget of 15mln. Nice. I got Sturridge in on loan, and bought Tom Cairney (Hull - 9m) and Ahmed Musa (VVV Venlo - 6m). All three were fantastic. Sturridge got 12 goals in 17 apps, Musa got 9 in 16.

Table looked like this at the end of the season:

champ1112.jpg

Off to the premiership then.

Transfers in:

Carlos Fierro - 4.7m - Chivas

Jay Rodriguez - 4.5m - Burnley

Mohammed Diame - 6m - Wigan

Jack Hobbs - 950k - Hull

Pierrick Cros - 650k - Sochaux

Sebastien Puygrenier - 1.4m - Zenit

Jorge Martinez - Free

In the championship I'd been playing 4-2-3-1, but decided to drop the AMC into defensive midfield to provide a bit of support;

GK: Cros

DR: Eardley

DC: Puygrenier/Evatt

DC: Cathcart/Hobbs

DL: Crainey

DMC (anchor): Vass/Syvestre

MC (adv playmaker): Cairney/Modise

MC: (bwm): Diame

AMR (winger): Phillips/Grandin

AML (inside fwd): Musa/Martinez

ST (adv fwd): Rodriguez/Fierro

I went 4 games unbeaten at the start of the season, recording late wins at Everton and Birmingham before going 8 games without a win and sliding towards the relegation zone. Fortunately, my players have really started finding their feet - I haven't conceded in 5 games, winning 4 of them. Currently 18 games in, sitting in 9th with 24 points - 6 wins, 6 draws, 6 losses.

Star performer so far is this guy, Ahmed Musa:

musa1213.jpg

Really can't recommend him enough. He's brilliant as AML inside forward, and from my Newcastle save I can confirm he's lethal as a poacher, too.

Here are my transfers from the summer, might be surprised by 1 or 2 but I wanted a fresher, younger looking squad;

BlackpoolTransfers_History.png

At the start of the season, I promised the board I'd finish in the top half. Due to me sitting in the playoffs in January, they offered me to change the change the expectations. I decided to stick by it, taking no risks, but got a hefty budget along with it... Obviously including the 12.5million I was given around November time.

budgetchange.png

I've just lost Gilks to a serious injury which will keep him out for a number of months, so a replacement keeper is a must. I have 2 current targets, one of which has agreed to sign however I've delayed it as I am waiting on the other.

A back up forward wouldn't go a miss, after releasing Phillips, I could do with someone stepping in. And possibly a winger. I only want to spend a small margin on the budget given.

Fulax: Great season that mate, well done!! Good luck in the Premiership, looking like you've got some decent ground to build on with that squad you've put together though!

higgins: I wouldn't know mate, he's been injured all season so far for me :p But he's just got his first game under his belt- looks a great player and a real top prospect too!!

BCFC_Mike: I'm very envious of that budget change pal, hope I get that too (only in Aug). But your being very restrained with the budget- I spent £22m in the opening window (over 48)! I always do this though; spend a fat wedge in the first couple of windows (as I know the U18s, so it's the only time I get a 'safe bet' in the whole game) then calm down from there.

I'll put up a first window review shortly...

I was thinking to start my own Blackpool save, do you know if Grandin is injury prone as usual?

Let me have another go at answering that. So, comes back from injury, I blood him back into the squad via the bench and on his first full start he scores in 15 minutes and is terrorizing the Derby defence... On 35 minutes he gets injured again... I've managed this type of player before- Torres, Aurellio... Hope it's not the case!!

I too have started a new game as Blackpool, I am currently 3rd come November and got given 13.5m extra to spend cos of my healthy financial situation, Im currently upgradeing my training and youth facilities and also expanding my stadium.

Good luck with your game Ronny, keep us informed as to how it's going!

I too am constantly on the boards back about upgrading all aspects of the club (it's the only way to make it a seriously big club), and they really are on board- so far I've had accepted;

Expansion to Training Facilities to the tune of £1.9m

Upgrade to Youth Facilities for £350k

Increased spending on Junior Coaching

An expansion for the stadium- taking it to 17,009 for a few £m

and extra coaches, physios, and scouts all accepted...

Good times, still no huge budget increase like some of you guys have got tho... Yet.

Archived