My players just will not tackle.....

How is it my central defenders and central midfielders just will not tackle?? I've tried adjusting every possible setting but they will just invite players onto them time and again. What am I doing wrong?

How many tackles are your team making per match on average?

It depends on the player but it's between 2 and 4 for each man.

In my match summary it says under tackles won around 95% - but those are only the tackles they attempt.

My point is the players won't stick their foot in when the opposition advance - they just back off or run alongside them. I'm constantly hoping one of them will step in and attempt a challenge but they don't. It seems the only way to win the ball back is gathering a loose ball or following a goal kick.

• SI Staff

You would expect to see around 35 tackles per team in 9.3.

It all depends on what IRL they count as a tackle, but I think our figure may actually be a bit higher than IRL in terms of volume and success.

I can live with that, it just looks strange on the ME when the players seem to be out for a jog with each other. Not only that but hard tackling and closing down often seems to make no difference.

yeah i guess its just the match engine, to be fair (i haven't got any stats to back me up) but I get the feeling that not many goals are coming from crosses where the fb's aren't tackling, so I guess it averagres out.

It all depends on what IRL they count as a tackle, but I think our figure may actually be a bit higher than IRL in terms of volume and success.

around 35? does this mean that if you make more then your team are discouraged to make tackles?

From experience I find that players not bothering to tackle is the first and clearest sign that you have your tactics all wrong, irrespective of their tackling ability or oppostion instructions

Im probably wrong but its the first thing I recognise when I have things wrong tactically

Well PaulC, it's not issue about how many tackles. But if you have player that is directed to man mark, close down and tight mark him and he doesn't do anything right box line , then it starts being little weird. Off course if that is keep getting repeated frequently.

That and not being anywhere near their mark, even when specifically told do so, is something that i have been noticing quite a bit in 9.3.While attacking players seems to get quite improved , something looks weird in defensive setups.

At least to me.

I have exactly the same problem, I said it before the patch and nothing appears to have changed, once a team get possesion they rarely lose it when watching the highlights, making it become incredibly predictable - my midfield simply never ever make tackles or brake up play, Ive yet to score a goal on the counter attack all season and im 27 games in - when in reality, counter attack goals and chances are VERY frequent.

I really wonder the SI team have actually any experience of being a footballer or actually know anything about football.

I really wonder the SI team have actually any experience of being a footballer or actually know anything about football.

Now let's not resort to that kind of talk, please.

I don't have this particular problem. If I did I wouldn't have been able to get away from Stamford Bridge with a draw in my latest match :)

I'm wondering, could this be a mentality issue? Because I have my DC's on medium tackling but their mentalities are two notches left of the middle and not defensive like I imagine many people would.

Now let's not resort to that kind of talk, please.

I don't have this particular problem. If I did I wouldn't have been able to get away from Stamford Bridge with a draw in my latest match :)

I'm wondering, could this be a mentality issue? Because I have my DC's on medium tackling but their mentalities are two notches left of the middle and not defensive like I imagine many people would.

It could be very well that , but if midfielders do have same behavior when defending , then it shouldn't be that. I do win games to , that's not an issue, but more defensive i play , more of that behavior starts to show up.

That and good position players that you probably have can explain why you don't see much of that.

Guest Jockey

I'm wondering, could this be that you are getting your defender(s) to show the attacking player to

their weaker foot, causing you defender to "shadow" the opp player.

If the opp player is right footed and playing on the left hand side of the 2 SC and you set your defender to show to

weaker foot, your defender will show him to the outside first and only putting in a tackle when the opp player stops,

tries to cut back inside or kicks the ball to far ahead of himself. This also means that your defender will on his weaker

foot (if he is right footed) so he can only put his weaker (left) foot in, so the tackle won't be as effective.

Also would hidden attributes ,sportsmanship, dirtiness have a lot to do with this.?????

As for the tight marking, your defenders will not tight mark the SC's the whole match, because if they did I for one

would get my team to play very wide and get my AMC'(s) or MC's to run through the middle. There has to be a

balance between tight marking and the positioning of your defenders.

I'm only on my 3rd friendly in session 1 (after taking a 2 month break waiting on the 3rd patch), so haven't noticed

anything yet.

Hope this helps and makes scene (well it makes scene in my head anyway)

Archived