Previous Experience

When starting a new game what do you choose as your previous experience?

I just leave mine at automatic as I am not sure which one to choose really, as I don't know how they affect the game.

They affect the game in that the better your previous experience, the more respect and better reputation you have.

I always go profesional footballer, gives you enough of a rep without making it too easy but it really depends where you are starting out.

It depends on how hard I want the game to be, I use this as a sort of difficulty level. If I want a nice easy, possibly short term game then I'll chose 'Ex International'

If I want the game to be harder, usually a long term lower league game, I'll set it to 'Automatic'.

if you set your rep as automatic and take over a high profile club like an EPL or La Liga club you will struggle to get the players motivated to play for you and respect your decisions untill you prove yourself, which in itself is harder to do because of these factors.

It matters very little in lower leagues ofc.

I read somewhere that Automatic means your reputation will be the same as the league's reputation, whereas Sunday League is fixed reputation of 1500 iirc. So say your league's reputation is 1000, selecting Automatic will give you a current reputation of 1000, whereas selecting Sunday League will give you 1500.

In the Man Utd example, the reputation of the Premier League may be say 7000 and Man Utd's reputation may be say 9000, so selecting Automatic will cause some players to look down on you.

Can't find the experiment thread that backs this up though, but if you want to find out, you can try creating a few managers with different past experience in different leagues and check their current reputation using an editor.

• 4 years later...

Anyone got any more info on this? It seems crazy that selecting 'automatic' when managing a Premiership team automatically makes you inexperienced.

Surely the point of a fantasy management game is that you can pick whatever club you like and be at the appropriate level of management?

Surely the point of a fantasy management game is that you can pick whatever club you like and be at the appropriate level of management?
Surely you can, just pick a different one than automatic?

I thought automatic gave you the same rep as the lowest activated league. That isn't what the people in the rest of this thread are saying though, so I could be wrong.

But why should people have to?

If the 'automatic' option is there, should it not just work in a logical fashion - i.e. automatically award you the relevant experience to manage the club?

I've just taken over Liverpool on 'automatic' experience and the level of player performance and attitude is appalling!

Ok, so it is just a change to the meaning of automatic, a change from "lowest active league" (if that is indeed) what it means, to "level of club" which you are after.

The current system is in place so that people can't pick a lower rep than the lowest active league, as then if sacked they could never ever find a job, which makes sense.

Your proposal also makes a lot of sense of the basis of the meaning of the word "automatic", as it is easy to see how people think that is what it should mean.

Maybe they should leave "automatic" unchanged, and then add another reputation option of "same as club". I guess this would be greyed out if starting unemployed, and I don't know how they could make it work for national teams.

Maybe put it in the wishlist thread if you think its a good idea?

I probably will.

I just don't understand why it would be labelled as automatic when nobody fully understands what that means.

Fair enough if I start at a lower league club and build up my rep (which I usually do to be fair) but if I decide I want to manage a top level team, I shouldn't be penalised for choosing what is suggested as the most logical choice of experience, based on the wording.

Do these drop down options even have tooltips?

I experimented a while back with Sunday League and Automatic rep. Sunday League will give you a consistently low rep, whereas Automatic will be different depending on leagues selected. If you have some very low level leagues active, Automatic will be lower, otherwise Sunday League will be lower. I think the lowest tier of the Northern Irish league is the lowest rep in the game, if you have that active and set Automatic your rep should be as low as possible.

To put it simply, automatic will ensure you can get a job in the lowest league selected if you choose to start unemployed. It is possible not to be able to get a job if you choose Sunday League and start unemployed if you haven't selected a low enough level.

Archived