Rememebr the old days?!?! [Bring this back!]

Ok so i was sitting in my loft goign through my old boxes looking for some odl records of my dads.. When i stumbled across a large box i had full of games for my AMIGA 1200.. One of which was ULTIMATE SOCCER MANAGER.. For those that remember it was benchmark game in its day and set the standards and no doubt played ap art in maybe SIs ambitions? lol..

Anyways i then started to think back to the days id sit for hours and hours playing it.. Then i remembered small thigns which i found retty cool like building stores and choosing your own stadiums look and positioning ect..

Well bascially the idea is.. why not bring back this old but great idea.. im not saying let us build stores ect but AT LEAST let us set ticket prices.. merch prices.. and give us managers the chance to talk to the board to allow free tickets for schoolkids ect to increase capacity for games that we might expect to lack the draw of a derby or cup games ect..

Ok so i was sitting in my loft goign through my old boxes looking for some odl records of my dads.. When i stumbled across a large box i had full of games for my AMIGA 1200.. One of which was ULTIMATE SOCCER MANAGER.. For those that remember it was benchmark game in its day and set the standards and no doubt played ap art in maybe SIs ambitions? lol..

Anyways i then started to think back to the days id sit for hours and hours playing it.. Then i remembered small thigns which i found retty cool like building stores and choosing your own stadiums look and positioning ect..

Well bascially the idea is.. why not bring back this old but great idea.. im not saying let us build stores ect but AT LEAST let us set ticket prices.. merch prices.. and give us managers the chance to talk to the board to allow free tickets for schoolkids ect to increase capacity for games that we might expect to lack the draw of a derby or cup games ect..

Oh im sorry i forgot.. its completely unrealistic for a manager to set ticket prices, merch prices and offer free tickets.. my bad.. pfft..

One thing id lie kto see on thsi forum is the lack of elitist comments.. it was simply a suggestion.. And if you ask me personally it isnt unrealistic.. it STILL fits into the whole manager sim enviroment.. And it could help alot of people with fund problems or attendance issues.. THINK BEFORE YOU POST PLEASE..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

i remember playing premier manager and being able to choose the advertising boardings round the pitch.

didn't like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea im not saying that is the kind of thing i want to se.. just a section were we can go to the board and (like we do to adjust transfer/wage budgets) and ask to adjust ticket prices.. alow free tickets for upcoming game (for schoolkids).. and ok maybe not so much merch prices but it could always help to lower shirt prices and have an increase in sales and create that little extra profit for teams who are verging or allready in the red..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

If people don't like your idea they're entitled to say so. It's a discussion forum, not an agree or don't post forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree totally.. i posted this expecting peopel to not liek the idea.. BUT its the way in which it comes across.. for example.. "buy fifa manager".. thats an elitist comment.. and has nothign to do with the idea its just an attempt to be funny and belittle an idea by referring a poster to another game as if my idea was way out of line.. ect..

I suppose you could argue that when you go to your board begging for more money, one of the ways they would increase revenue to give to you would be by increasing ticket prices. so its sort of in the game already? You could get a message saying how the board has raised extra funds?

I do wish people would stop with the 'realism' arguement though. Yes, the game is trying to be as real to football as it can be, but the fact is some unknown guy/gal would never get a job at a non league team, let alone a premiership team. Football Manager 2008 is a game, not real life. Something like the above idea wouldn't fit into the concept and pattern of the game, but arguing about realism is pointless. If you really want a real life experience, go get some coaching badges and train the local under 11's. Its the only job you could 'realistically' get.

I think in the board room part there should be the option to ask the board to cut ticket prices or to give free tickets away. I mean think about it if you are managing for example Wigan and have an important cup match against Arsenal in the semi finals and feel you may not fill the ground then you should be able to ask the board to cut prices to try and attract a full crowd to cheer your team on.

Surely its realistic for a manger to want a full crowd for important relegation, promotion and important cup matches.

As for controlling advertising and building things I am against this totally but can understand why people want it in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KharNivore:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

If people don't like your idea they're entitled to say so. It's a discussion forum, not an agree or don't post forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree totally.. i posted this expecting peopel to not liek the idea.. BUT its the way in which it comes across.. for example.. "buy fifa manager".. thats an elitist comment.. and has nothign to do with the idea its just an attempt to be funny and belittle an idea by referring a poster to another game as if my idea was way out of line.. ect.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand your point but people don't tend to disgaree politely. Yes there are better ways of making your thoughts known than "buy fifa manager", but it's much better to just ignore people like that than bite and let the thread descend into yet another flame war.

True ^

And im not arguing about the realism.. im just saying its a method of addign extra depth and giving us players more options to benefit our teams.. its little thigns lie kthat that make the game more fun.. was the team talk option essential? no but it worked.. was the media options essential? no but it worked.. Would adding a way of makign tickets cheaper or for free for certain games by request be essential? no.. but it would work and jsut be that little bit extra to the game..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

I actually loved being able to do all that stuff but it wouldn't fit into FM as Fm is a sim.

I do love the idea of building new stadiums (design it etc) but not in FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this...I used to actually enjoy these kind of features on Premier Manager and the like. Even the advertising hordings. BUT, I don't think they would fit on FM.

The arguement about realism is silly a bit silly, as this game is trying to be as real and serious as it can be. We can now choose to be an ex-international footballer to a sunday league player. So now it's up to you if you want to choose to be a sunday league player taking over a huge club. I think maybe there should be a block on who you manage from the start regarding your reputation. So you should only be able to get certain jobs if you were a top player, so would be known. Yes, less likely United would give a recently retired International player the job, but it's maybe the best they can do short of stopping you taking over these clubs. It's shown other clubs will do this though (ie Middlesbrough with Southgate).

Regarding the original point...I don't think that you can say 'was the team talk option essential' and compare it to this. Team talks are a vital component of real life football management. Every single manager will give one, before, at half time and after each game. So yes, to move the game on, it was essential.

Allowing a manager to design a stadium, or even have any impact on financial/commercial decisions like that is unrealisitic and no essential. At a push, being able to suggest yourself a fans day (free/cheaper tickets etc) for a special game, could be something acceptable, instead of just the board deciding to hold it on a game which is just another league game against a side who you mean nothing to your club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonfun1980:

Buy fifa manager </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know why people who like these ideas haven't found this yet. Never played it myself, but my brother enjoys it, and enjoys the "Sims" side of the game, where as I prefer the hardcore management. ! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KharNivore:

When i stumbled across a large box i had full of games for my AMIGA 1200.. One of which was ULTIMATE SOCCER MANAGER.. For those that remember it was benchmark game in its day and set the standards and no doubt played ap art in maybe SIs ambitions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

USM was in no way a benchmark game - CM and even Premier Manager were way ahead of it even then.

WHS^^^

USM was a game full of gimmicks, who can forget being able to bet against yourself with the clubs money & offer bungs.

As for the original suggestion I play the game to be a football manager not the finance director, managers don't get involved in the day to day finances of a club & this should be the case in FM.

Seriously guys dont use "its not realistic" as a way of discrediting the idea. FM is a game and therefore a lot of things in it are unrealistic, even the whole premises that an unknown manager could be signed by Real Madrid or Man Utd is highly unrealistic, but it makes the game more fun. If the game was realistic then it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun. Now I am not saying this should be included but I dont think it not being realistic is a reason why it shouldnt be included because a lot of the features in FM are not realistic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

Seriously guys dont use "its not realistic" as a way of discrediting the idea. FM is a game and therefore a lot of things in it are unrealistic, even the whole premises that an unknown manager could be signed by Real Madrid or Man Utd is highly unrealistic, but it makes the game more fun. If the game was realistic then it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun. Now I am not saying this should be included but I dont think it not being realistic is a reason why it shouldnt be included because a lot of the features in FM are not realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course elements of FM are unrealistic - it's impossible to fully simulate being a real football manager. However, the objective is for the simulation to be as realistic as possible within the constraints of it being just a computer game. Adding elements that are not part of a football manager's job isn't working towards that aim.

The people on this forum only represent a small portion of the people that buy FM and most of the people on here take the game a bit to seriously so they will not want it. Whether most people that play FM would want it is unknown, not that this is a democracy or anything but if the majority want it SI should implement it to sell more. In fact since most of the people that dont want it will buy FM anyway by putting it in the game SI could probably attract new fans from FIFA Manager. That would be the smart business move.

Oh im sorry i forgot.. its completely unrealistic for a manager to set ticket prices, merch prices and offer free tickets.. my bad.. pfft.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errm yeah it is!

Thats more the marketing/advertising/hospitality manager(s) job.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

i remember playing premier manager and being able to choose the advertising boardings round the pitch.

Yea im not saying that is the kind of thing i want to se.. just a section were we can go to the board and (like we do to adjust transfer/wage budgets) and ask to adjust ticket prices.. alow free tickets for upcoming game (for schoolkids).. and ok maybe not so much merch prices but it could always help to lower shirt prices and have an increase in sales and create that little extra profit for teams who are verging or allready in the red.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

unfortunately not even sir alex ferguson has a say in ticket prices.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">USM was a game full of gimmicks, who can forget being able to bet against yourself with the clubs money & offer bungs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only that, but when you bet on matches (either on or against yourself) and won the bets, the proceeds went into your transfer budget.

USM was the first management game I ever played, and I really enjoyed it, including the sawing and hammering noises when you built hot dog stands and the like. But I could never go back to it. Management sims have matured a lot since then.

Just like arcade game players could never go back to Pong.

Yea im not saying that is the kind of thing i want to se.. just a section were we can go to the board and (like we do to adjust transfer/wage budgets) and ask to adjust ticket prices.. alow free tickets for upcoming game (for schoolkids).. and ok maybe not so much merch prices but it could always help to lower shirt prices and have an increase in sales and create that little extra profit for teams who are verging or allready in the red.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

unfortunately not even sir alex ferguson has a say in ticket prices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> - Errrrm LOL ur both WRONG!!!

Look not long back this side of the season... remember a little lowly league team having a great cup run, who knocked out a few high teams then took LIVERPOOL to a replay and then took the LEAD TWICE>? yeh well, Sir Alex Ferguson offered them a VIP weekend to their training ground and backroom. Along with a guide around Old Trafford and to have drinks with the players etc... whilst giving them TICKETS to watch the Man U game lol...

So get real and stop saying rediculous things like its "UNREALISTIC" cos obviously it isnt. Learn what goes on in real life before trying to comment a fact that has no ground and where u have no "KNOWLEDGE, REAL LIFE KNOWLEDGE :P" of what goes on behind the scenes.

In this example i have just shown u a few ways a "MANAGER" influences what goes on!

So yes, a Manager does have a say or can have a say in somewhat to a certain extent. So please stop being so abrasive in ur replies to state that its "UNREALISTIC" cos it gets boring.

One says go play Fifa Manager. No sir, u go get a REAL LIFE coaching job if u want Realism!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oi_oi_ginger_roy:

Oh im sorry i forgot.. its completely unrealistic for a manager to set ticket prices, merch prices and offer free tickets.. my bad.. pfft.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errm yeah it is!

Thats more the marketing/advertising/hospitality manager(s) job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL hospitality manager? Read the above.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richib:

unfortunately not even sir alex ferguson has a say in ticket prices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> - Errrrm LOL ur both WRONG!!!

Look not long back this side of the season... remember a little lowly league team having a great cup run, who knocked out a few high teams then took LIVERPOOL to a replay and then took the LEAD TWICE>? yeh well, Sir Alex Ferguson offered them a VIP weekend to their training ground and backroom. Along with a guide around Old Trafford and to have drinks with the players etc... whilst giving them TICKETS to watch the Man U game lol...

So get real and stop saying rediculous things like its "UNREALISTIC" cos obviously it isnt. Learn what goes on in real life before trying to comment a fact that has no ground and where u have no "KNOWLEDGE, REAL LIFE KNOWLEDGE :P" of what goes on behind the scenes.

In this example i have just shown u a few ways a "MANAGER" influences what goes on!

So yes, a Manager does have a say or can have a say in somewhat to a certain extent. So please stop being so abrasive in ur replies to state that its "UNREALISTIC" cos it gets boring.

One says go play Fifa Manager. No sir, u go get a REAL LIFE coaching job if u want Realism!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Massive difference between "I can get you tickets for a match" and "I decide how much the tickets cost". And for the love of Christ stop saying lol.

I suggest u read the OP aims at the whole theory. He has said it would be nice to allocate tickets to school kids etc to fill spaces.

What has this to do with ticket prices?

Ur the one who is misled.

guess what... LOL.

Please read between the lines before replying. Some people like ur self V are too arrogant to see what is actually trying to be put across. Cos its an idea u dont like, u shoot it down. Allow room for construction. Have you ever heard of constructive critism?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richib:

One says go play Fifa Manager. No sir, u go get a REAL LIFE coaching job if u want Realism! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may be the worst response I've ever seen on these boards. How can you compare the two? Getting some players some tickets for a one off game and setting the price of tickets isn't even in the same ball park....what was that about football knowledge?

Excuse me for being rude but are u dumb?

Who stated the ticket prices? Im on about the OP stating it would be nice to allocate TICKETS to SCHOOL KIDS? Who is going on about ticket prices? The person who quoted him and responded negatively!

Oh my, please look at ur self!

I gave an example of how the Manager can influence behind the scenes. As many people suggest that the manager only does the team deciding, tactics, buying, coaching etc... which is BS.

Get off the ticket prices as that wasnt my argument. Learn to read mate before u say thats the worse response u have ever seen cos ur challenging ur own claim with ur own response for stupidness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robertodibaggio:

One says go play Fifa Manager. No sir, u go get a REAL LIFE coaching job if u want Realism! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may be the worst response I've ever seen on these boards. How can you compare the two? Getting some players some tickets for a one off game and setting the price of tickets isn't even in the same ball park....what was that about football knowledge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> -Who mentioned football knowledge? And who is it to say its got anything to do with football? Marketing Director would not need any footballing knowledge what so ever even it being it in a footballing environment. Please mate, go hide away.

I suggest u read the OP aims at the whole theory. He has said it would be nice to allocate tickets to school kids etc to fill spaces.

guess what... LOL.

Please read between the lines before replying. Some people like ur self V are too arrogant to see what is actually trying to be put across. Cos its an idea u dont like, u shoot it down. Allow room for construction. Have you ever heard of constructive critism? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol well lol i lol think lol that lol you lol have a lol point lol but there is a difference between a set ticket structure to lol do with schoolkids lol, than asking the board lol to let the Havant and Waterlolville squad watch a game for lol free. lololoolololololl etc.

guess what... LOL.

Please read between the lines before replying. Some people like ur self V are too arrogant to see what is actually trying to be put across. Cos its an idea u dont like, u shoot it down. Allow room for construction. Have you ever heard of constructive critism? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol well lol i lol think lol that lol you lol have a lol point lol but there is a difference between a set ticket structure to lol do with schoolkids lol, than asking the board lol to let the Havant and Waterlolville squad watch a game for lol free. lololoolololololl etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Maybe we should allocate free disbled tickets to this mentally ******** kid for free?

LOL did i touch a nerve after proving u wrong? Thank you for stating I have a point thou :p You know its coming - LOL

Yes, you are correct I misunderstood your point, couldn't see through the lol's tbf, still doesn't change the fact there is a big difference between setting a universal price structure for all schoolkids, and asking the board to let some specific people have a free stadium tour, free tickets for one match etc.

Ok mate, new slate. The difference is that it isnt only for one match. "Free Tickets" are allocated more or less every match. It's just the number of allocation depends on the circumstances etc.

But thats sliding away from my whole point. My argument is, on a circumstance and not "Every" match u could have some influence on the game other than just team control as it does happen.

For example who is the 12th man? The fans right?

So for example, poor run = lower crowd attendancies correct? In reality how does one attract the fans back? by offering free tickets etc. This can help the team in performance etc.

But what I know is going to be said is that this isnt the "managers" job. But is it? In FM it certainly is, sa its not the Chairman in control of the club, but you! I hope you see where im coming from as i can see some light on the OPs original post although i do disagree with a large portion.

New slate, fine by me. icon14.gif

I like your idea to a point, but it needs to be something you can put to the board and get a yes or no, it can't just be something the manager does without asking the higher-ups first. There is a similar thing in FM08, Fan Days, but only the board have any say on if and when one of these take place, I think the manager suggesting a Fan Day or Free Schoolkids day to the board would be a good idea, to nip any low attendance problem in the bud, as opposed to only wheeling it out when there are more empty seats in the ground than fans.

To me, it seems like the whole giving tickets to school kids is only something which really matters in real life . What is the point in giving tickets to school kids who don't exist and aren't even represented in the game? It wouldn't even increase any stats in the game. When the manager gives away tickets IRL, they don't do it to fill the stadium, it's for a good cause (or make them look generous in the press...). Free tickets which are given away to fill the stadiums are done at a higher level, by the PR or press people or whatever. Something like this wouldn't, in my opinion, add anything to the game at all.

It should only be done when attendances are low, and the fans need an incentive to come back. Free schoolkids tickets mean new young fans, who will come to games in the future.

Perhaps the schoolkids idea isn't the best, I can see both sides of the argument, but I'm certainly all for asking the board for Fan Days.

And many apologies as i may have cme across contradictive as when i said "ur both wrong" i was also aiming it at Oi_Oi_GingerRoy but his quote never came out :S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hang on - you said:

"im not saying let us build stores ect but AT LEAST let us set ticket prices.. merch prices.. and give us managers the chance to talk to the board to allow free tickets for schoolkids ect to increase capacity for games"

Fair enough on the last part (maybe) but the other two things are nothing to do with the manager - come down to Reading (where i work may i add) and see how things are actually done - Steve (Coppell) has nothing what so ever to do with any of what you said.

As for your comment of "LOL hospitality manager?" yes we have one at Reading, he basically sorts out all the free tickets for events, the boxes etc so i don't understand why you laugh.

it STILL fits into the whole manager sim enviroment.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It blatantly doesn't. The chairman / board set ticket prices, not the manager.

Anyway, there's plenty of things for SI to add or fix in FM before we need to worry about things like this, like adding more options for free kick takers other than just "Left" or "Right" like we have at the moment, or sorting the tactics out so that we don't feel like we're playing some kind of slider lottery where we need to blindly find the perfect combination. And sorting the match ratings out so that the full scale is used, rather than just 6, 7 and 8.

Letting us fiddle with ticket prices should be right down the list, and personally I see it as unrealistic to include it at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cliff7197:

it STILL fits into the whole manager sim enviroment.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It blatantly doesn't. The chairman / board set ticket prices, not the manager.

Anyway, there's plenty of things for SI to add or fix in FM before we need to worry about things like this, like adding more options for free kick takers other than just "Left" or "Right" like we have at the moment, or sorting the tactics out so that we don't feel like we're playing some kind of slider lottery where we need to blindly find the perfect combination. And sorting the match ratings out so that the full scale is used, rather than just 6, 7 and 8.

Letting us fiddle with ticket prices should be right down the list, and personally I see it as unrealistic to include it at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually like this idea for three main reasons:

1. The game does get somewhat repetative, with training a "set it and forget it" part of the game and the only regular thing being the matches. A little flavor would be nice if it could be done.

2. The game already has so many things that are not a manager's job, that the whole realism argument just reeks of a lack of anything realistic to say against this idea. The only decent argument against it is that other things need ot be fixed, which brings me to the third point:

3. The financial model needs to be fixed so badly (and has needed it for several iterations of the game) that handing it over to the user until SI can make it work is a pretty good idea. With the confidence system now taking bank balance into such large consideration, give us the tools to do something about it.

Lonestar, u are a ... star.

See how this is constructive? Building on an idea that maybe not suitable but good points are coming out.

Any ways the school kids is what the OP had asked, i would much prefer it go to the fans be it youth or of the older generation. If it gets the crowds coming back the definately.

The stadium atmosphere has a huge effect on visiting teams that it can sway the result to the hosting team.

For an example of this, who is a team in the champions league at the moment that no one wants to play? Their not the best in the last 16 but hell no one wants to play them cos like their fans say "Welcome to hell" its a Turkish club by the way, not mentioning them.

But this could be a factor that could be implemented in some way or another.

Just want to add one quick note on those wo says it isnt realistic cos the manager doesnt do it.

The manager doesnt arrange the clubs Tours or tournaments either but im sure u can do it in FM? :p

And why do we do this? To bring in some extra income right? So there u go, just an example of a feature that has been implemented that can add alittle more spice to the game. It has to stay fresh, and something else needs to be thrown into the mix?

guess what... LOL.

lol well lol i lol think lol that lol you lol have a lol point lol but there is a difference between a set ticket structure to lol do with schoolkids lol, than asking the board lol to let the Havant and Waterlolville squad watch a game for lol free. lololoolololololl etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think anyone who lives in WEST SUSSEX and supports CHELSEA has surrendered all rights to have a go at anyone about anything.

Lol.

Archived