Can someone explain this to me?

This happens to me way to often at the moment. From now on in games like these I will do myself a favor and not bother looking at the match stats. icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, my striker had a dip in form halfway through the season, getting too many 6's and not scoring anywhere near as much as he should, so I dropped him to the reserves for a week, called him back up, tweaked the tactics slightly, and voila, he was back to his usual self again. You may want to have a go at it yourself, maybe it will work for you as well.

This is typical if one or several players on your team have become demotivated for some reason (team talk/pre-game media comments). In FM, demotivation will lead to a host of missed opportunities. The match engine can't seem to limit the number of chances created in this instance - this would be the logical outcome for an under-performing side.

Originally posted by Dextorious:

a 9 and MoM

Happens 95% of my games

If this is true, your tactics are complete rubbish. Do you concede a lot in the last 5-10 mins? You probably need to counter the 4-2-4 AI formation, which is easy (search in General or the Tactics forum).

And this shots-on-goal thing is a very well-worn subject.

As for 1 shot on target but 2 goals, I think SI have said it's down to deflections or flukes. I know, I know, if it's a deflection that is NOT on target, it should be registered as an own goal, but that's more a minor data issue - ie, the way it's recorded in FM - than a big bug.

Once again, if you are having a lot of shots but not scoring you need to make minor tweaks to your tactics, preferably at half time. SMALL changes, such as pace or passing style. Works for me nearly evey time.

Originally posted by Neyles:

This is typical if one or several players on your team have become demotivated for some reason (team talk/pre-game media comments). In FM, demotivation will lead to a host of missed opportunities. The match engine can't seem to limit the number of chances created in this instance - this would be the logical outcome for an under-performing side.

In my games, my best strikers can't get it on target when they're demotivated, usually to the tune of 5 shots 0 on target.

a 9 and MoM

Happens 95% of my games

That's more than likely a gross exaggeration, but anyways it's your tactics and more than likely your inability to close a game out after going ahead. There are loads of hints and tips in the tactics forum to get the best out of your strikers.

Originally posted by backpackant:

As for 1 shot on target but 2 goals, I think SI have said it's down to deflections or flukes. I know, I know, if it's a deflection that is NOT on target, it should be registered as an own goal, but that's more a minor data issue - ie, the way it's recorded in FM - than a big bug.

The oppositions keeper getting MoM and my team not finishing my chances and the opposition team scored most of theirs does happen in most of my games. 95% is an exaggeration, but it does happen in the majority of my games.

The tactic I'm using is Kimz NO TWEAKING NO CHEAT - The latest one.

So I haven't created the tactic, and am using this tactic after it's brilliant feedback it got in the Tactics section of the board. I've been outplayed once in 2 full seasons, and by outplayed I mean beaten in possession and a team having more shots than me.

The oppositions keeper getting MoM and my team not finishing my chances and the opposition team scored most of theirs does happen in most of my games. 95% is an exaggeration, but it does happen in the majority of my games.

The tactic I'm using is Kimz NO TWEAKING NO CHEAT - The latest one.

So I haven't created the tactic, and am using this tactic after it's brilliant feedback it got in the Tactics section of the board. I've been outplayed once in 2 full seasons, and by outplayed I mean beaten in possession and a team having more shots than me.

If I remember correctly Kimz tactic has quite a lot of creative freedom and speed involved, this can have an adverse affect on the overall gameplay. Yes it is a good tactic and has got good feedback, but creative freedom means your players will make their own choices rather than follow your tactics and game speed does not involve passes only it can involve shots too, and if a player rushes their shot they are going to miss more than they score.

With regards to conceding goals, I tried Kimz a while back and it was god awful for conceding goals due to a terrible defensive line and most teams only need one 1 on 1 to score.

Kimz does not use any creative freedom, it is a slow tempo short passing tactic. If you play as Arsenal the defence is solid, although it is an attacking try to outscore AI tactic, my defensive record over many seasons is usually best on 2nd best in league.

Having played may different tactics, with or without cf, its apparent that the AI often convert 1 chance say a one on one, yet your own top qaulity striker needs probably 3. If the basis is your own striker is hurried, then is due to added pace of AI defender.

With Kimz you should discount a large majority of chances as long shots, but with similar easier chances the AI just appear to be more lethal, they just play defensive keep ball most of game and not create many chances. However the results of a season tend to be a fair.

If anyone has a tactic that can make a team play like the AI, with skill on and off ball, with lethal finishing, then can they post it to download.

I think the biggest flaw in FM match engine is that it is biased towards defending tactics. In most cases the weaker (defending) team seems to get an unfair advantage against stronger opponents. It really doesn't matter whether your team is the stronger or weaker one it's just the way the match engine works.

The same problem has existed in at least a couple of previous versions but probably gotten worse with this latest version.

quote:

Originally posted by GalwayUnitedFC:

also how did Inter score 2 goals with only one shot on target?

Deflection?

I started a thread on this problem myself as I drew a La Liga game 2-2 with the opposition having zero shots on target and no own goals scored. It appears that FM08 does not precisely define a shot on target. Therefore a deflected goal is awarded to the player making the shot but is not recorded a a shot on target. 'Tis a flaw (but not really a bug).

This is obvoius wrong calculation in FM. Despite of your tactics ( who backpackant describes like rubbish ), we can't deny the fact that ManUtd got 22 shots on target. I consider Shots On Target BIG chances of goalscoring ).

The former norwegian coach of the Norwegian National Team, who is an statistical guru, Egil Olsen, said that normally you score in about 20% of your BIG chances of goalscoring - this is a statistical fact. Then ManUtd should have scored 4,4 goals and Inter 0,2 goals. As you can se the normal result should have been 4-0.

I can understand why Dextorious react.

The best to do, to avoid conflict with our logical sense, is that the AI don't give away so many Shots On Target chances to the usercontrolled player, such as it feels more real to the natures law.

If not, in my opinion, the result should more often reflect this statistical rule.

Originally posted by jsolloso:

Again FM showing bias in the game engine so that you don't simply walk away with the game. Sadly it ruins the game for me and many others.

Lol, damn you FM for not just letting us win and that be that. It's as if the AI wants to win as much as we do icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Queen of the Stevenage:

I'm amazed people can't put it down to one of those things.

Games like this do happen, I refer you to my oft-quoted example of Fulham vs Newcastle a few seasons ago!

It happens all the time, as football fans we have all been guilty of saying "we should have won that", "they didn't deserve that". I'm a Man Utd fan and I can think of at least two occasions off the top of my head where Utd destroyed the opposition, but lost or came close to losing, Portsmouth in the FA Cup and Blackburn towards the end of the season.

The reason things like this are taken seriously is because people think differently to the way the football is played. Ernst says "I consider Shots On Target BIG chances of goalscoring", that's not the case IRL or in game.

Archived