I'm about to get sacked, but it's not my fault!!!

Note: Skip to penultimate paragraph for a summary if you wish...

I've been having a fun game with Sao Paulo, where (in my opinion at least) I feel I've managed to build a great squad.

Anyways, first season was fine, didn't win the Sao Paulo State Championship but I won the Serie A comfortably. I've signed the likes of Keirrison, Mauricio, Gerson, Teixeira, and the original Ronaldo.

Unfortunately due to this success, I generated a large amount of interest in my players, especially my defenders. Miranda attracted bids from a host of top European clubs in January, eventually becoming unhappy and forcing the board to accept a £7.5m bid from Juventus over my head. Fair enough, one player I can cope with... but then the floodgates opened, Juninho and Aislan leaving for £3m between them, Jailson (my RB) sold for a £1m. So with £11.5m extra, and only 3 defenders left (LB: Luis Gustavo, CB: Anderson (on loan from Lyon, RB: Jackson) I thought all would be fine, I'll sign some defenders.

But I couldn't! The club were only giving me 30% of revenue (even with £20m in the bank at this stage), and there was not a defender in Brazil who I could force away from their club for less than £4m (worldwide nobody is interested). Ultimately, one random Cicinho (free agent, WBR) and Rafael Forster £1.2m were all the defensive options I could secure with only 3 days remaining in the transfer window. I asked for more money, and more wages, but the board said no.

And then it went from bad to worse. Anderson (on loan) got injured for 3 months in at the beginning of February, leaving me with a back 4 of Gustavo (22), Gerson (17), Forster (18) and Jackson (20). Richarlyson was already a long term absentee, and my best striker Keirrison got injured for 3 months. And my early season form has been abysmal, after 12 games I've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 8, aided by 6 red cards.

The players hate me, the board are about to sack me, and its not my fault damnit!

Summary: 2nd season in Sao Paulo (reigning champs), best defenders sold, no money to replace, best players injured, bottom of the league, everyone hates me.

Anyone else had this happen to them? I don't want this to be my first sacking in 10 years of football management :-(

I need an option to say "Oi, chairman, you sold all my centre-backs and gave me no money! What do you expect?!"

Maybe its the Brazilian philosophy...

Anyway, I know I'll turn it around if I get the time, but I'm blatantly not going to be.

Its a shame, in 2-3 years time the team will be brilliant.

It really is diabolical. Gerson and Forster are alternating getting sent off and every striker I play keeps picking up knocks.

I won the league last season so I know my squad is capable of winning, just Miranda & Juninho (and Anderson who is injured) averaged 7.5 compared to my others who seem to be getting 6's in the games they don't get sent off!

Have £2m left but am a long way from a transfer window. Anderson's loan ends in the middle of summer. I can sign anyone else on loan (apparently 18th in the league isn't desirable).

Waltz into the board room, tell the chairman where to go (would be good if you could), and resign!

Like someone else said, get into another Sao Paulo club, that'll really annoy them!

Or just sit it out and hope for the best, i do feel for you, i'm currently managing Cruzeiro, and have had problems with the stingy board, lucky for me i've got state of the art youth facilities, i am worried though, nearly all my players have "Wnt" next to their names.

I'm bracing myself.........

I need an option to say "Oi, chairman, you sold all my centre-backs and gave me no money! What do you expect?!"

Maybe its the Brazilian philosophy...

Anyway, I know I'll turn it around if I get the time, but I'm blatantly not going to be.

Its a shame, in 2-3 years time the team will be brilliant.

i know how you feel as soon as you start doing ok all the big teams come in for your players and once the flood gates open it seems an impossible task to try and keep them especially if you chairman wants the cash i would try for loans if your short of cash or you cant get any off the board or leave and try get another team because if you stay and turn it around it will probably happen again

This is the reality of managing in South America. All your best players move to Europe for more money and it is extremely hard to find adequate replacements. It's what happened to Corinthians irl, who are arguably one of the biggest teams in Brazil and were relegated a couple of seasons ago, and look at River Plate. They won the Argentinian league last season and now just one season later they're rooted at the bottom of the table and are flirting with relegation.

Archived