PPMs - can a player inherit them without tutoring

Just got FM08, having a great time icon_wink.gif

Aaaanyway, I've been playing as Arsenal. After Carlos Vela came back on loan from Osasuna, I sent him out on loan again, to Everton, for regular first team football, as well as due to him being unsettled.

He's finally come back but I've found out that, at 20 years old, he cant get a tutor, and so is left with the 2 default PPMs - runs into channels and shoots ball with power. Is there any way to amend this? Maybe he can pick up PPMs by himself?

Or is it because my other left footed strikers are currently tutoring? It's just that at 20 yrs old, he should imo still be tutored...

Just got FM08, having a great time icon_wink.gif

Aaaanyway, I've been playing as Arsenal. After Carlos Vela came back on loan from Osasuna, I sent him out on loan again, to Everton, for regular first team football, as well as due to him being unsettled.

He's finally come back but I've found out that, at 20 years old, he cant get a tutor, and so is left with the 2 default PPMs - runs into channels and shoots ball with power. Is there any way to amend this? Maybe he can pick up PPMs by himself?

Or is it because my other left footed strikers are currently tutoring? It's just that at 20 yrs old, he should imo still be tutored...

It's squad status and first team appearances that affect this in my opinion, I have Georginio Wijnaldum in my team and he's 17, even when he was 16 he couldn't have a tutor because he was playing in my first team.

Do you really think Vela who's playing first team premiership football last season is going to be like "Yea, its a great idea for me to be learning from that guy who I've proven I'm just as good as, if not better than".

Alternatively, you could hope for maybe in a few years time "Beckham passes away, leaves his legendary right foot to grandson" and hope he inherits them that way lol :p

i hope that players acquiring their own ppms is included in fm09. personally, if you play a player on the right wing and set him to "run with ball", he should get that ppms, and maybe "tries tricks", "hugs line" etc according to flair & dribbling stats. its as if players don't learn anything when on the picth or in training, which is not realistic.

i dont believe 'tries tricks" should be something that a plyaer learns.

you either like doing them from an early age or you dont.

i couldn't see a young scholes suddenly deciding that he likes to try tricks as a preffered move.

remember just because a players stats that determine how good they are at doing tricks improves, doesn't mean they will suddenly like to try tricks regularly

I don't think it should necessarily be excluded.

Maybe he played it straight when he was younger, but as his skill developed he started trying new stuff and learned that he liked doing it.

And a "tries tricks" appears on his sheet. icon_smile.gif

Besides, they don't have to be good at it, they just need to like doing it to have a preferred move.

This is a feature that really needs improving IMO.

I have a bunch of world class regens in my squad, top attributes, but they have little or no preferred moves because they weren't tutored when they were a teenager. Surely when you play alongside other top players in a great team you would pick something up, without hanging around with that 32 year old bench warmer with PPMs galore?

Maybe they should develop PPMs relative to their stats? E.g a player with 20 for Aggression would 'dive into tackles' or a player with high flair/creativity attributes would try tricks.

Hell, I love to try tricks when I play in matches, because I'm good at it, I wouldn't do it if I fell over the ball every time I attempted a step-over! I don't need to be tutored by Cristiano Ronaldo to pick that up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kevinM182:

What are PPMs ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Player preferred moves (or something like that), basically they are things that players tend to do out of habit, such as arguing with the ref or trying tricks. They are the things that give players a bit more personality on the pitch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kevinM182:

What are PPMs ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Players preferred moves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

i dont believe 'tries tricks" should be something that a plyaer learns.

you either like doing them from an early age or you dont.

i couldn't see a young scholes suddenly deciding that he likes to try tricks as a preffered move.

remember just because a players stats that determine how good they are at doing tricks improves, doesn't mean they will suddenly like to try tricks regularly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i should have included a high flair rating in my description earlier. a 16 year old with 15 for flair will most likely have the ability to try tricks, regardless of pace, dribbling. when i was 16, we all "tried tricks", but most of us went on to be defenders and goalies, but most youngsters nowadays try to emulate the Ronaldos of this world. but everyone's different, but if you decide at an early age that you want to play ball, you will have certain traits that you may have learnt from watching your heros on tv and practicing.

and i said "maybe "tries tricks"..." as an example. pick any ppm, it can be learned at any time during a players career, let alone by a youth player. the earlier the better, but giggs deputising as a CM for the last few seasons is a decent example.

an standard MC/AMC should develope ppms like:

.plays through balls (or not)

.runs with ball through the centre

.arrives late in area

.holds up ball

.dictates tempo

.shoots from range etc.

obviously not to gain all of them, but you have to realize that unless you tutor a player, ppms are almost extinct in long term games, regardless of how good a player becomes. this is why they should appear according to how a player trains, who he trains with (not necissarily learning from), what he's asked to do by the manager etc.

every player has something that they are renound for, Scholesy "dives into tackles", and reminded us a few weeks back that he can still "shoot from range" for example (out of curiosity, are they his ppms in fm?).

it would also be better if young players who have a level of respect for a senior professional at their club automatically pick up ppms if they are on the same training schedule. obviously over time like tutoring does, but without the inevitable personality clashes when linking players doesn't work. what is the point of a young player mentioning a senior professional in his profile if he doesn't learn anything from him by observation?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

Wow, just realised Scholes DOESNT have "shoots from range" as a PPM!

His PPM's are:

Gets into opposition area

Tries to play way out of trouble

Dives into tackles

Tries long range passes

Wierd, especially as that is what he is most renowned for! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's because he doesn't shoot that often anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D_Force:

So is Vela stuck with those two PPMs permanently? icon_frown.gif Is there any chance he'll still become a top striker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely with one season in the reserves, he can still get tutored by a couple of first teamers and pick up more PPMs?

I think PPM's should be learned at any age,

Quite often as a player ages his game changes. Giggs used to be about speed, dribbling and taking players on which would have been his PPM, but now as he's physically incapable of doing that he's changed into more of a control the game midfielder.

This season we've seen Owen move from a predatory striker to playing just behind the front two playing the trough balls and creating the chances.

Players should also loose PPM's, Ronaldo used to be about tricks but with little end product, but since he's cut the 15th stepover from his game (therefore losing the PPM) his games become better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dr_pratt:

I think PPM's should be learned at any age,

Quite often as a player ages his game changes. Giggs used to be about speed, dribbling and taking players on which would have been his PPM, but now as he's physically incapable of doing that he's changed into more of a control the game midfielder.

This season we've seen Owen move from a predatory striker to playing just behind the front two playing the trough balls and creating the chances.

Players should also loose PPM's, Ronaldo used to be about tricks but with little end product, but since he's cut the 15th stepover from his game (therefore losing the PPM) his games become better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree, but i wouldn't like the idea of a player losing ppms, as much as your examples make it a valid point.

i would however like to see a player keep his retrained dposition once it becomes green. accomplished means just that, you shouldn't lose the ability from there. i trained a player from AMC to AMLC, then i wanted him to cover on the right too, but not long after he became an AMRLC, he lost the ability to play as an AML and became a AMRC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

i would however like to see a player keep his retrained dposition once it becomes green. accomplished means just that, you shouldn't lose the ability from there. i trained a player from AMC to AMLC, then i wanted him to cover on the right too, but not long after he became an AMRLC, he lost the ability to play as an AML and became a AMRC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd also like to see players retain the ability to play in the position they have learnt, providing of course that they play in that position on a regular basis.

Furthermore to this, it should be possible for players to forget the position they started in other time. Kevin Phillips for example started as a centre back, but is now a striker. Overtime, it should be possible for a player to adapt his position due to where he plays rather then just having them static.

Archived