Extra Training You Bunch Of........

I'd like to make it clear that this is not a moan about the game, but a moan about my thicko bunch of German idiots that call themselves Bayern Munich.

I was happily playing my FM08 last night, on course for yet another Bundesliga title and into the Knockout Round of the CL. The team was in good form and I was well on course to match my board expectations for the year, the only stumbling block being Man Utd in the knockout round. I was pleasantly surprised to steam roller United in the home leg 3-0, Schweinsteiger was in blistering form and I thought a place in the QF's was all but confirmed.

We maintained our good form in the next two league games and despite the three goal advantage I decided to play the same team in the away leg at Old Trafford. 10 minutes (highlights only) and nine goals later, I was sat open mouth reading about my teams exit from the Champions League after a 7-2 away leg loss :mad:

As said earlier, nothing to do with the game, my players were simply awful and United were fantastic, but it was one of those occasions that if I could I would have slammed a plate of sandwiches into the wall and screamed "EXTRA TRAINING YOU BUNCH OF X?£&*!%$^|>"

Anyone else been on the receiving end of a total shock performance like that and wished there was an "Extra training you bunch of...." team talk option? :D

Which would be alright but "don't get complacent" works about as well as "don't let your performance drop".

In this case wasn't the problem that the players were already complacent before the game started? Using don't get complacent as the half time feedback is akin to saying "Don't get even more complacent?" Surely the "express your rage" option would have been much more suitable.

Pithy point aside - currently the feedback options are a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. They ARE too limited and they repeat too often (and there is a 2-0 up against a weaker team issue where whatever you say harms your team, as they either relax and play worse or get upset and play worse.)

I've been mulling over suggesting a context sensitive feedback system that would automatically generate a half time team talk text but would be more adaptable to your team than "Wish luck" or "I expect a win" or "Don't get complacent, but get upset with me which (allegedly) has the same effect on performance as getting complacent". Somewhat akin to the various levels of player feedback praise.

Which would be alright but "don't get complacent" works about as well as "don't let your performance drop".

That is, it might as well be a "kick me in the head for ninety minutes" button.

Thats a fair statement :)

It would be interesting to look at tha man U tactics in the first leg and what they did different in the second leg to get that kind of result.

How did your Bayern Munich tactics vary between games against Man U?

Archived