Good god this games has problems

I've been playing CM/FM ever since it started. Every year there is a rash of people complaining about a thousand and one things they have found wrong with the game. Up until this release I have never had any major "show stopping" problems. Unfortunately, this release has been the worst one ever for me.

I've been playing the game since release and already I have reached the end of my patience. I didn’t play the game without the patch so god only knows how bad it was before.

Here is a small selection of what I have experienced...

1. LOADS of injuries. In the 13 matches I have played so far there has been 16 injuries - some for my team, some for the opposition. In one match I had 4 people injured and 1 sent off!! If this has been “turned down” in the patch, how bad must it have been before???

2. Really random things happening on the pitch. For instance, my striker receives the ball on the edge of the oppositions area and is through on goal with the goal keeper out of his net, but for some reason he chooses to stop and wait to have the ball taken off him by an opponent?!?! Now I know what people are going to say - it's all to do with the player stats and your tactics etc. SURELY even the dumbest player playing for the worst manager in history would know to kick the ball into an open net??? Fair enough he may miss, but he definitely wouldn’t just stand there for about 5 seconds waiting to be tackled.

3. Player fatigue. Do I have a team of asthmatic cripples? Surely I can expect a professional footballer to be able to play for 60 minutes without his condition dropping to the mid 60's? Fair enough I am playing as Rotherham and the players are all a bit crap but come on! This seems to be worse on strikers and wingers and no amount of fiddling with the tempo or style of play seems to help.

4. Why are my fans and board angry at me? I am Rotherham, starting the season with a hefty point deduction. My odds at the beginning of the season were 2000-1 (a personal best). I have a god awful team and no money. Up to now I have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 3 and I am still in 23rd position due to the point deduction. Do my fans, board room and press take this into consideration? NOPE!! The fans are unhappy with the position the club is in, the board think I should be doing a better job and the press seem to think I should be in the top half of the table!!!

5. The 3D match engine. Yes, I know it’s new and will probably get better in time, but it is bloody awful. It looks like I am playing the game on my Amiga! The stands are just random bits of grey here and there with no one in them, the players look like they are on roller skates half the time and it can take a player 2 or 3 seconds to start to run to a ball which has just pinged off him and landed about 3 yards away. I am sure I can remember an SI bod once saying that they would only introduce the 3D match engine when it could be done to a suitably high standard.

Those are the top 5 moans I have about the game, but there are many more. And like I say, this is all AFTER the patch has been installed!!

I really want to enjoy this game (having not really gotten into the last couple like I used to) but at the moment I am finding it impossible. I can excuse the odd bug and live with it until the patches come out, but this is a bit silly.

That’s my moan over. If you haven’t experienced any of these problems or just want to slag me off for some reason (as is often the style in this forum) then don’t bother replying.

in the demo i had loads of injuries..3 friendlies in on my new game with the patch ive got none so fat thank god

dont use the 3d as i prefer 2d.

fatigue..ive noticed nani and scholes are tiring quite quikcly and not recovering as welll...rest of my squad is ok tho

I didnt have many injuries during the friendlies, just one or two. Perhaps because i was telling them to take it easy? I dont know.

SI set the injuries to match with stats from the physioroom.com listings for real injury levels at clubs. The recommendation I would make is that you go easy on players at the start of pre-season; don't play players for a full game for the first few friendlies, be careful of training too hard too soon, and make sure you have decent physio(s).

I've not had any injury crisis, or particular fatigue problems... Also, I couldn't disagree more about the 3D match view - it's excellent. There's still plenty of room for improvement, but as a first attempt it really is very good imo.

Why do there seem to be two Sniff My Face's?

As for the original post, it's weird that all that is happening after the patch. It seems to describe the demo more than the full game, in my experience. Injuries are much lower, although condition is a problem.

I dont "hate" the 3d engine, i just think it has a few too many flaws.

I seem to be enjoying this release a bit more than i did the last, but i just really hope all the issue are going to be ironed out sooner rather than later.

Item number 4 on my list is probably going to cost me my job, so that might prove to be the biggest problem! There seems to be a real lack of "common sense" from the board, media and fans.

Injuries - I dont seem to have a problem with this. I'm receiving injuries sure, but nothing I wouldnt expect. My training is, at max, the top end of medium.

Players condition - what kind of stamina/fitness ratings do your players have? I'd imagine further down the leagues the players are less fit and therefore tire. If the opposition tires to the same kind of level, that would be okay wouldnt it? Do they?

The board - thats rubbish if its the case. I didnt buy FM08 because of confidence/board issues. The system isnt implemented with enough scenarios in mind so it's not taking account of your situation.

3D Match - Yes, it looks rubbish :) I keep moaning about it because I feel as though I'm trying to get my 90 year old nan to realise something (the nan being SI in this example). Repeat, repeat, repeat and SI might take it in.

1. LOADS of injuries. In the 13 matches I have played so far there has been 16 injuries - some for my team, some for the opposition. In one match I had 4 people injured and 1 sent off!! If this has been “turned down” in the patch, how bad must it have been before???

4. Why are my fans and board angry at me? I am Rotherham, starting the season with a hefty point deduction. My odds at the beginning of the season were 2000-1 (a personal best). I have a god awful team and no money. Up to now I have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 3 and I am still in 23rd position due to the point deduction. Do my fans, board room and press take this into consideration? NOPE!! The fans are unhappy with the position the club is in, the board think I should be doing a better job and the press seem to think I should be in the top half of the table!!!

I'm experiencing both injuries and fans/board expectations problems, both are extremely skewed and harsh and unreflective of real life.

SI set the injuries to match with stats from the physioroom.com listings for real injury levels at clubs. The recommendation I would make is that you go easy on players at the start of pre-season; don't play players for a full game for the first few friendlies, be careful of training too hard too soon, and make sure you have decent physio(s).

I've not had any injury crisis, or particular fatigue problems... Also, I couldn't disagree more about the 3D match view - it's excellent. There's still plenty of room for improvement, but as a first attempt it really is very good imo.

I left my training on general and didnt really do much to it to be honest. Obviously not having a great training ground and rubbish coaches will have its drawbacks, but surely not to the extent i have seen.

Also, i am pretty much having to rotate my wingers and strikers constantly. My wingers generally manage about 60 minutes and they are at 60/70 condition, leaving them too knackered to play the next match.

Obviously there are aspects of my tactics and training that may alter this slightly, but it just seems a bit mad!

My main quibble has got to be injuries - to the point that my enjoyment has gone from playing the game and its now a battle of wits between my selection and the random injury algorithm hidden in the midsts of this game!

I did OK with Liverpool upto around Jan with only minor injuries - I now get at least 3 injuries per game - That is AT LEAST - usually maybe more. Also the number of Jamie Redknapps I get i.e. 2 mins gone Gerrard injured, 1 minute gone insua injured - it happens every 3 matches.

My main gripe though is that I get 3 players injured and two have to come off after fouls and the opposing players dont even get a yello - they are 'reprimanded' - feckin Stephen Warnock killed Baletti for 2 months and he got a telling off, he then did the same to Santon in the same match and got a Yellow - two players out of the match! Joke!

I will keep playtesting it and reporting issues as the game is excellent - just please sort the injuries out.

I would imagine now that you have gone through the worst part of steam i.e. installing - we can now expect the best of Steam - Updates and patches at a fairly good rate? I mean look at Left4Dead - that is a demo and it has had four updates to support the community in 2 weeks - I hope SI you are aiming fro something like that as well!

But doesn't this go against the norm pre-season wise? Surely you're supposed to train the players harder in pre-season to get them back up to speed after their holiday. Taking it easy on them doesn't make any sense.

********! I have watched every Home game at Anfield this season and I have not seen more than 3 players leave the field for injuries sustained during the game. I get at least 3 per game and usually my opponents get the same. This is not realistic in the slightest. I can not substitute players as all my subs are used up taking off injured players! All players are playing at their peak of 97% or above prior to the match no one starts with less than that.

Great game with this one minor annoyance - besides if the game is going to concentrate more on going easy on players then where are the indicators that training is not good for them - irl you would not wait until matchday and carrying players off to realise that they are fecked!

i've got major problems with injurys. started a new season with man utd and after 6 prem games i have already got tevez, rooney, hargreaves, berbatov, welbeck, nani, park and vidic out injured. but not short term injuries either nani is the only one that is going to be back before the end of december but that's only by a couple of days. had the same problem when i started a game with the swans. had 6 players out with long term injuries after 3 games. had three players taken off in one game with broken legs.

I would imagine now that you have gone through the worst part of steam i.e. installing - we can now expect the best of Steam - Updates and patches at a fairly good rate? I mean look at Left4Dead - that is a demo and it has had four updates to support the community in 2 weeks - I hope SI you are aiming fro something like that as well!

People are moaning that SI released a patch in time for release day, can you imagine the uproar from these people if we had 4 patches in the next 2 weeks. :D

I wouldn't care personally tho. ;)

Injuries are set perfectly in my opinion, not too many not too few.

I havn't noticed anything major wrong with the game yet after the patch, although i have only played 1 season.

Best FM ever for me i think, even beats FM06

Glad you have finished a season, most i've played is about 2 matches then get fed up of having to wait 5 minutes to make a sub because its setting up match. Frustrating and spoiling my whole enjoyement.

I have to agree with you, this game is really the worst CM/FM I played ever! I tried like 20 tactics and any of them don't work. I played with team with relegation prediction (I was favourite to win league) and used 4-5-1 tactic, really fast and offensive... I was loosing 1:0 at half. About 60' I lost player and played tactic 2-2-1-1-3 and I scored a goal... any counter-attack, they haven't even reached mine half with the ball, funny think. I have one of the best strikers in league... After 20 matches I am 3rd in table with 10 draws !! IT'S ANNOYING (most of draws was like 0:0) and 8 wins (most of them was like 1:0 after goal at the end of match). In other game (home) I had 3 penalties from nothing and won 3:0. Also when I am playing with good team from First Divison (I play in second divison) in cup I have no problem to beat them... I won with vice-leader of First Division 5:2 in cup, few weeks after I won 3:0 with other First Division team (before that I had 3x 0:0 in a row). I can't reall play this game because I don't enjoy it. I want to see nice play and no ridicolous pinball between players that can't take ball. I've also noticed that about 70% of my goals was after goalkeeper kick, long ball to striker, defenders was standing or running forward(!) and mine striker just took ball and scored. I have also scored few goals (4 in one match...) from 30-40 meters which is really impossible. I am waiting for next patch, but I don't think I will buy next edition of this game, I thrown 30 pounds for nothing...

Sorry for mine english ;)

Injuries are making game unplayable for me atm. I just had 3 majour and 1 minor in 1 match. I am about 4 games into my season and 9 of my first team are out injured!!!!!!

Can't play, I'm running out of players!!

apart from that issue I love the game itself

G

For me so far, injuries are a problem but IRL it's a bit like that so that part of the game engine has not ruined FM09. I seem to give a penalty away almost every game, and I have not had even one yet. I am struggling with tactics because I just cannot score, morale has hit hot rock bottom. The game engine needs some work, but hey I will still try and find that magic tactic that score 3 a game ;-)

1. Overall the amount of injuries is really realistic in average now I feel. (point 3 of my post explains how to keep injuries under control)

However I do agree that 4 in one game is unrealistic.

But basically not a game stopping issue imo.

2. I agree, this would never happen in a real match.

But overall most games seem more realistic then last years engine.

3. I would suggest to lower your training workload a little, this would also lower your injury trouble.

At first I also had many condition issues but lowering the workload did help a lot for me.

Also rotating your players a little helps.

4. Not sure if you will get sacked but I never pay much attention myself to what my board and fans think of me.

In real life nobody is ever happy unless their team is winning everything there is to win.

So maybe it isn't as unrealistic as it seems, when you look at the posts here on this forum. ;)

5. For a first 3D engine this really isn't so bad, and I have good faith in how this will develop in the future.

Honestly I expected it to be a lot worse then this.

Don't get me wrong, I do play high quality 3D games like Crysis, Cod4, Fallout 3, Mass Effect and GTA4.

So it's not that I'm not aware what 3D engines can do these days.

And I'm pretty sure none of these above games have such a huge database they have to take into account as FM does.

Hang in there, and maybe a restart with another team is needed to get your enjoyment back.

I decided to start again. I am still a garbage team (Vauxhall!) and it is bloody hard, but i havent noticed as many injuries this time, even though i am using pretty much exactly the same system as before. Im struglling to make any real changes to training to stop my players getting tired/injured due to only having 1 coach!

I am enjoying the game more than i did at this point on FM08, but it still needs a few patches in my opinion. Just hope SI sort it sooner rather than later.

Archived