England in copa america

I saw a thread on this a while back.

For the Copa America, I believe it features most of the South American teams, then every tournament invites 2 nations.

IRL Mexico have almost always been in it in recent times, and also mainly USA, but also sometimes Carribean countries.

So ingame, it is possible for any 2 countries to be invited, even in IRL but it's usually Mexico and another closely located team.

I've heard of it happening on other people's games. I dont think it has happened on my game yet.

Usually USA and Mexico gets the invites into Copa America. But in 1999 Japan was invited which was the only time a team from outside Las Americas was invited in the Copa America.

From Wiki...

The Africa Cup of Nations, also referred to as the African Nations Cup (ANC) is the main international association football competition in Africa. It is sanctioned by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), and was first held in 1957. Since 1968, it has been held every two years. The title holders at the time of a FIFA Confederations Cup qualify for that competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Cup_of_Nations

And who is allowed to participate in the FIFA Confederations Cup? Everybody...

The FIFA Confederations Cup is an association football tournament for national teams, currently held every four years by FIFA. It is contested by the winners of each of the six FIFA confederation championships (CAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, AFC, OFC, CONCACAF), along with the FIFA World Cup winner and the host country, to bring the number of teams up to eight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Confederations_Cup

I might be wrong, but it looks like the poster could legitimately have been beaten by any team in the world according to the above info

From Wiki...

The Africa Cup of Nations, also referred to as the African Nations Cup (ANC) is the main international association football competition in Africa. It is sanctioned by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), and was first held in 1957. Since 1968, it has been held every two years. The title holders at the time of a FIFA Confederations Cup qualify for that competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Cup_of_Nations

The FIFA Confederations Cup is an association football tournament for national teams, currently held every four years by FIFA. It is contested by the winners of each of the six FIFA confederation championships (CAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, AFC, OFC, CONCACAF), along with the FIFA World Cup winner and the host country, to bring the number of teams up to eight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Confederations_Cup

I might be wrong, but it looks like the poster could legitimately have been beaten by any team in the world according to the above info

Are you sure you haven't just mis read that and actually its the winner of the African Cup of Nations who qualifies for the Confederations cup?

From Wiki...

But the OP was talking about the Copa America, not the Confederations Cup.

If a team from outside South America (ex: Mexico) win Copa América, that team won't e allowed to play the Confederations Cup, as Mexico and the other CONCACAF are just invitees.

The same happens in Copa Libertadores, if a Mexican team win it, it is not allowed to play the Club World Cup.

just re read your post and if thats the case its me who has mis-read, my apologies Solid Gone

No need to apologise at all, I wasn't even sure if I was right...it just looked like anybody could enter from a quick scan of the Wiki article...I could still be wrong! :thup:

haha england would never beat argintina! But i suppose Ireland wouldn't either.........

1-0 wORLD CUP 2002,

3-2 Friendly 2005/6

Already have mate, but of course argentina have beaten England. I worry for Argentine now Maradona is in charge. I don't cry for them tho'

1-0 wORLD CUP 2002,

3-2 Friendly 2005/6

Already have mate, but of course argentina have beaten England. I worry for Argentine now Maradona is in charge. I don't cry for them tho'

1. Maradona is a smart guy, so I wouldn't underestimate him.

2. He won't work alone, Bilardo will work with him. Bilardo was Argentina's manager during most of the 1980s, including the 1986 WC.

1. Maradona is a smart guy, so I wouldn't underestimate him.

2. He won't work alone, Bilardo will work with him. Bilardo was Argentina's manager during most of the 1980s, including the 1986 WC.

My step Dad discussed that with me this morning. My personal view is: The argentine squad is packed full of footballing goodness so its not a case of lack of talent (a la England ((Joke, sort of))) And he wouldn't be manager unless they truly believe he is capable, but for me, its a case of wait and see, i wish him the best of luck, exept against England, where he used up his quota of luck in 1986

Archived