Player Values

I am sure this will have been covered before but I am totally frustrated with this part of 08. I know 09 is on the horizon but I won't be playing thay until after the first patch.

Anyway, I am playing in Denlark as FC Kobenhavn. As always try and build young teams, in the knowledge that I can't keep them, but atleast when you sell them you should make decent profit...........not in this game.

Basically I have Stancu upfront. Scored 45 goals in 41 games in the first season and now has 15 in 12 in the second. I bought him for £1.8million and his SM Value despite his goal scoring form and all round exceptional play is £1.3million. Come on this can't be right. I bought him from Romania and he cost more than he is worth after scoring goals in Champs League etc. Thing is now people are interested, I refuse to lose money on the player so therefore ask for more money and now he is unsettled. This is the same as another 3 players in the team - Piatti, Gioda and Hora. All values lower than paid despite high average ratings.

This just makes a mockery of trying to build up a club. You buy a player, he attracts interest from the big clubs (which means he is playing well) and yet the game expects you to sell them for less than you paid. Don't get me wrong I am not looking for £20million, just realistic value for a player with 60 goals in 53 games.

Regardless if it is Denmark, a player like the example of Stancu above would atleast be able to command £5million or something IRL.

thats a good point.

i often get a player who is under valued compaired to his performances.

i have thought of a way for si to fix this but its a long story & nothing will happen about it. ut in saying that i think its something for future fm's.

Same problem here.To prevent players getting unsettled I immediately after I have bought a player I set his asking price 1.5 tims of his fee (depends on the actual fee I paid, but normally 1.5 times). I adjust this price over time. If he performs well the price goes up and vice versa. In this way (at least on my save) the players never gets unsettled.

hmm, the fees worked fine with me.

I managed to get Stancu with Sturm Graz (and the Austrian league can no way be any higher than the Danish league :p) and his value constantly went up.

I always noticed how well player values responded to performance, contract, achievements etc... so I am a bit surprised that this seems to be an issue with several ppl here.

BUT if his value is 1.5 mio it doesn't mean you have to sell him for any less than 5 mio either way, unless you get overruled by your board of course. In a worst case scenario accept bids and then delay the decision until the club loses interest. This way the player doesn't get angry, because you accepted the bid, but you don't lose the player either.

I actually managed to keep Stancu at Sturm Graz (rep cannot get higher than national in Austrian league) for his entire career oddly enough.

There's a difference between value and price though. I'm sure he wasn't valued at £1.8m when you signed him, so it's just a matter of setting his asking price to an amount you consider appropriate. I've had players valued at £8m and sold for £30m, and while the sale prices might need tweaking, I don't think the OP's situation is anything that needs too much attention.

There's a difference between value and price though. I'm sure he wasn't valued at £1.8m when you signed him, so it's just a matter of setting his asking price to an amount you consider appropriate. I've had players valued at £8m and sold for £30m, and while the sale prices might need tweaking, I don't think the OP's situation is anything that needs too much attention.

Sorry I didn't put down exactly what I wanted to say.

I should have explained that his value is £1.3million therefore when people are bidding £1.5million I am asking for around £6million............problem is that because this is perceived as x5 his value no one is coming back in with bids, they are all simply pulling out. This has made the player unsettled as he claims I am holding him at the club against his will.

Its this point which has frustrated me. The game due to not valuing players correctly has created a scenario where by my players are way under valued, no one will pay an acceptable value therefore my squad is descimated by unhappy players. Honestly if I accept what people offer for the 4 players discussed I will have lost money. That can't be right when you look at the teams I bought them from.

Note: Stancu valued at £1.1million when I bought him for £1.8million

Guest Vilosophe

As i said in many others threads, this is a real problem. You can see this issue clearer in smaller country like Hungary, where the highest value is 500m€ ca, so if you buy a player for 700m€, his value later drops to 300€ca and only if he'll bacame a star in the league he rise to 500€.

This problem afflict more the AI, that not remember the € that it payed so if AI buy a player for 1M€, and the player plays very well, it will happen very often that AI sell him for 500€ ca or a price <1M€. So the AI's teams became weaker and poorer soon.

Very good thread, I have experienced this problem several times, especially playing with smaller teams such as FC Copenhagen.

Anyway, FM09 has a new coded transfer system.. Lets hope this can make FM more realistic... But can anyone tell for sure the new things about the new transfer system??

I am sure this will have been covered before but I am totally frustrated with this part of 08. I know 09 is on the horizon but I won't be playing thay until after the first patch.

Anyway, I am playing in Denlark as FC Kobenhavn. As always try and build young teams, in the knowledge that I can't keep them, but atleast when you sell them you should make decent profit...........not in this game.

Basically I have Stancu upfront. Scored 45 goals in 41 games in the first season and now has 15 in 12 in the second. I bought him for £1.8million and his SM Value despite his goal scoring form and all round exceptional play is £1.3million. Come on this can't be right. I bought him from Romania and he cost more than he is worth after scoring goals in Champs League etc. Thing is now people are interested, I refuse to lose money on the player so therefore ask for more money and now he is unsettled. This is the same as another 3 players in the team - Piatti, Gioda and Hora. All values lower than paid despite high average ratings.

This just makes a mockery of trying to build up a club. You buy a player, he attracts interest from the big clubs (which means he is playing well) and yet the game expects you to sell them for less than you paid. Don't get me wrong I am not looking for £20million, just realistic value for a player with 60 goals in 53 games.

Regardless if it is Denmark, a player like the example of Stancu above would atleast be able to command £5million or something IRL.

i believe player value is based on player rep and league/country rep. just because you paid 1.8mill for him doesn't mena thats his value. likewise the players value may be 1.3 but you can still sell for 5mill.

if your stancu example happened in real life and he was sold for 5million you dont think that would have been his actual value? not very good business sense to sell the player for his actual value if he's that good. they'll hold out for a bit more.

like liverpool and gareth barry in real life. no way barrys value is 20mill. he may be worth that much to aston villa but his actual value would be far less

Very good thread, I have experienced this problem several times, especially playing with smaller teams such as FC Copenhagen.

Says it all really. I still don't think this is an issue, afaic a player in Denmark is going to be valued far lower than the exact same player playing in England. The examples given in this thread are Denmark and Hungary, while I don't want to take anything away from those leagues, players leaving those leagues rarely command a transfer fee as high as £5m, IRL or in game.

Says it all really. I still don't think this is an issue, afaic a player in Denmark is going to be valued far lower than the exact same player playing in England. The examples given in this thread are Denmark and Hungary, while I don't want to take anything away from those leagues, players leaving those leagues rarely command a transfer fee as high as £5m, IRL or in game.

well take cro league for example. quality wise its below hungarian and probably below danish league as well and still cases of players leaving for huge fees occurs. just take modric, corluka and eduardo as an example.

its not often that such a situation happens but it happens.

well take cro league for example. quality wise its below hungarian and probably below danish league

I totally disagree. Not only is the Croatian league of a higher standard than Hungary and Denmark, but the financial situation in the Croatian leagues is probably stronger as well.

Plus the players you mention are far superior to those available in Hungary or Denmark, so they will inevitably command a larger transfer fee, regardless of the league they play in.

well take cro league for example. quality wise its below hungarian and probably below danish league as well and still cases of players leaving for huge fees occurs. just take modric, corluka and eduardo as an example.

its not often that such a situation happens but it happens.

the fact that the croation international team is doing well would be the reason for this.

just like when everyone was buying czech players (berger,paborski etc) and after that senagalese players. doesn't mean that these players would have the price they were sold for as their value though.

so i think the way its structured in fm is fine.

i mean if i want a player from a smaller country i'm going to have to pay abit more than their value. same in real life.

I totally disagree. Not only is the Croatian league of a higher standard than Hungary and Denmark, but the financial situation in the Croatian leagues is probably stronger as well.

Plus the players you mention are far superior to those available in Hungary or Denmark, so they will inevitably command a larger transfer fee, regardless of the league they play in.

first part of your post i disagree. in past few years only dinamo zagreb has been somewhat superior in terms or results they produced in europe but generally cro league is crap. as someone who follows it actively, quality wise i would place it on part with something like albanian league.

financially only dinamo is stronger than hungarian and danish clubs but dinamo ain't the entire cro league.

as for players ability in fm08 before the first patch modric was evaluated at 1.something mil € and you could generally get him for around 2 mil €. before in 07 corluka was lower valued, eduardo was the most expensive of the lot. he could achieve 4 mil €.

i believe player value is based on player rep and league/country rep. just because you paid 1.8mill for him doesn't mena thats his value. likewise the players value may be 1.3 but you can still sell for 5mill.

You have missed the point. The point is that because he is valued so low when I put the price upto a realistic figure i.e £5-6million nobody negotiates because it is 5x his value, therefore all it has done is unsettle him.

Do you think its realistic to buy a player for £1.8million and sell him 53 games later after scoring 60 goals for a loss of half a million.

If you have overpaid in the first place, yes.

I have hardly overpaid for him. £1.8million for a player rated £1.1million.

So you think that paying 1 and half times his value is overpaying for him???? What planet of non-football knowledge do you live on. Best £1.8million I ever spent - 60 goals in the 53 games he has played to date

Obviously another one of the "SI can't do anything wrong" brigade. All I am saying is I think there is a flaw in the game when a player valued at £1.1million then goes onto score goals in a better country, playing in the best club competition a player can play in i.e Champs League, scores a barrel load of goals and only goes up in value by £200k, then to make it worse the computer manager expect to buy him for £1.3million.

I have hardly overpaid for him. £1.8million for a player rated £1.1million.

So you think that paying 1 and half times his value is overpaying for him???? What planet of non-football knowledge do you live on. Best £1.8million ever spent - 60 goals in the 53 games he has played to date

Obviously another one of the "SI can't do anything wrong" brigade. All I am saying is I think there is a flaw in the game when a player valued at £1.1million then goes onto score goals in a better country, playing in the best club competition a player can play in i.e Champs League, scores a barrel load of goals and only goes up in value by £200k, then to make it worse the computer manager expect to buy him for £1.3million.

You're right. I'm sorry, I should never have disagreed with you, what was I thinking? I'm sorry for having an opinion :rolleyes:

Grow up for christ sake. £700k is hardly wee buns, and would be considered an overspend by a lot of football clubs in England let alone Denmark. Then again I probably shouldn't say that, less I feel the wrath of sven78. These forums and the cretins who troll them are driving me mad, any form of sensible debate is impossible, as any slight disagreement is met with infatile and petty reactions.

You're right. I'm sorry, I should never have disagreed with you, what was I thinking? I'm sorry for having an opinion :rolleyes:

Grow up for christ sake. £700k is hardly wee buns, and would be considered an overspend by a lot of football clubs in England let alone Denmark. Then again I probably shouldn't say that, less I feel the wrath of sven78. These forums and the cretins who troll them are driving me mad, any form of sensible debate is impossible, as any slight disagreement is met with infatile and petty reactions.

Does calling someone a cretin fall into a petty reaction.

Anyway enough of this verbal tennis. I think I have even lost sight of the reason I wrote this thread.

I think my main point was to try an ask if there is anything I can do to maximise the value. I am resigned to losing the player so when I go home tonight and turn on the game I need to make sure I can maximise the money I recoup as I think, and you have to agree, that it would be a poor piece of business to lose a player for less than you paid considering his goal record.

Ignoring the values of the players or what ever standard the player plays in, if you sign a player (and we will agree to diasgree on whether I over paid) then surely the game must be able to recognise the avg rating, goals scored etc and show some improvement. If the game doesn't then what is the point of playing with lesser clubs. I love playing this game trying to build up teams and selling on players for a profit and trying to unearth others players but if the game doesn't help you out a even a little bit then you might as well play as Barca, get 100,000 attendances rake in the money, buy the best players and be bored after 2 seasons

Does calling someone a cretin fall into a petty reaction.

It would, but then again I never called anyone in particular a cretin ;)

I think my main point was to try an ask if there is anything I can do to maximise the value. I am resigned to losing the player so when I go home tonight and turn on the game I need to make sure I can maximise the money I recoup as I think, and you have to agree, that it would be a poor piece of business to lose a player for less than you paid considering his goal record.

Ignoring the values of the players or what ever standard the player plays in, if you sign a player (and we will agree to diasgree on whether I over paid) then surely the game must be able to recognise the avg rating, goals scored etc and show some improvement. If the game doesn't then what is the point of playing with lesser clubs. I love playing this game trying to build up teams and selling on players for a profit and trying to unearth others players but if the game doesn't help you out a even a little bit then you might as well play as Barca, get 100,000 attendances rake in the money, buy the best players and be bored after 2 seasons

This is where our discussion has got a little bit confuddled :) . I'm not saying you overpaid per se, it's all about the perspective of the board and how the chairmen etc in FM react. Reputation of club and league has a major impact on the game and there isn't a lot you can do about it. IMO what we currently have is an AI that recognises a good player playing in a lower league/club and adjusts it's valuation/offer accordingly, what you're suggesting is that the AI should recognise other factors, but you have to remember it is just a game and coding such circumstances (and the whiole host of possibilities) would be very difficult.

I'm not saying your overall point is wrong, what i'm saying is, the game operates in a certain way and expecting anything more is perhaps asking too much. You have to remember that you're looking at this through the eyes of a human and can make your own judgements about different scenarios, you aren't an AI that has been programmed and as such has limitations.

I think it was already answered amongst the forum bitchslapping. We have all been in a similar position one way or another with a player. Aceept the bids, allow them to speak to the player re contract etc and then delay it until the offering clubs gives up. If your Romanian friend throws a tantrum and skips training then stick him in the reserves for a bit and fine him 2 weeks wages. Bottom line - if he scores 60 goals in 50 or so games he has already repaid himself and if he sees out his contract and leaves on a free so be it.

Also, set his asking price to about £5m and click 'Reject all bids lower' That way you only get bothered with the good bids and the odd enquiry.

Remeber ladies. It is only a game! If it bothers you that much start up a manager as Barca and buy him for £150m from you. But the guilt will eat you!!!

Just as an addition... am in Sept 2013 in my current game. I have just checked out Bogdan Stancu to see how he got on as I've had no dealings with him at all.

In 2008/09 he moved to Sparta Prague for £550k from Romania. 16 goals in 21. Bought again after one season by FC Kobenhaven for £1.6m. 9 goals in 18 for them in one season and Villarreal snapped him up in 2009/10 for £3.6m. Since then he has been rubbish. Never had an Av R above 7.00 but now he is worth £10.75m! His favorite club is FC Kobenhaven so you may still have hope!

You have missed the point. The point is that because he is valued so low when I put the price upto a realistic figure i.e £5-6million nobody negotiates because it is 5x his value, therefore all it has done is unsettle him.

Do you think its realistic to buy a player for £1.8million and sell him 53 games later after scoring 60 goals for a loss of half a million.

i dont raise my players prices.

doesn't mean i can't sell alonso for 25mill when he's worth about 13mil.

or get an offer for babel of 35mill even though he's worth no where near that.

I bought an 18 year old for £650,000; AMC/FC with good values, a real prospect for the future. He scored on his debut and the following game and has won one young player award as well as periodically being commended for his performances. He also plays regularly for England U21's. He's now 20 and when he's not starring for the reserves he's providing good cover in the first team. But his value has dropped to about £100,000. It seems to me that potential isn't valued as highly as it should be.

Has this not been fixed though? The entire transfer system code has been ripped out and re-written. I'm sure this is one of the many transfer issues that will be fixed in FM09.

I hope, hate players being bought for huge amounts while I can't even sell a younger player who performed at a much higher standard.

I think we got the point and whilst we all hope FM09 sorts this and other niggles out, there are ways around it which makes FM08 a very playable game. By bug bear is the slight misquotes in the media and my views on contraversial decisions. I'm tired of getting fined so to combat this it is "No comment" all the way.

Archived