FM09 being on DVD

I live in the US, but prefer the British version of the game (I like that it says football instead of soccer and various other language differences). Therefore I order my copy from a British store. I was just wondering if FM09 being on a PC DVD would cause the same problems that a normal DVD does? The problem being with the region setting. Or does it not matter since it's basically a data DVD? I'm holding off on pre-ordering for fear of having to buy two copies. I know this kinda sounds like a dumb question but I don't want to spend around $50 (including shipping) for something I can't use. Thanks for the help

Chris

You have the digital versions too through Steam! I think i will be investing in a digital version this year as my CD Rom has just broken on my laptop and wont have a replacement in time lol! Good on you for wanting the "Football" Manager and not Worldwide soccer version though buddy lol ;)

Very well, I will pre-order my copy tomorrow. I did the digital download for 07, since that was my first year with the game and I kinda regretted it (I like to have an actual disc). But since then I've become a real fan of football in general. I watch whatever European games ESPN televises (can't stand MLS, way to boring), missed maybe 30 minutes of Euro 2008, and Christmas of '09 the wife and I will be visiting England (my second time, her fifth or sixth) and she's already agreed to going to a match :) So this game is solely responsible for my football addiction. Thanks SI.

Chris

Just fyi, you can change the language setting on WWSM to "British English" as opposed to "American English" (not sure if those are the exact terms). My biggest concern with WWSM comes from the rumor that 3rd party programs don't work (I don't use the FMM or others, but I'm not sure I'd want to completely take it off the table), or that graphics packs or network games don't properly work. Seems like for every person that says these things work fine there's someone who says they don't... :confused:

I do remember the graphics packs not working right with WWSM07 and I did try to use FMM but it wouldn't work because of it being the digital download. But that's why I will only buy a physical disc now, I don't want there to be any problems with graphics or such.

My biggest concern with WWSM comes from the rumor that 3rd party programs don't work (I don't use the FMM or others, but I'm not sure I'd want to completely take it off the table), or that graphics packs or network games don't properly work. Seems like for every person that says these things work fine there's someone who says they don't... :confused:

To set the record straight for that one:

WWSM installs, by default, to a different directory than FM does. Also, the executable is called "wwsm.exe" instead of "fm.exe".

Some poorly designed 3rd-party items rely on the location or name of the executable. For example, the in-memory save-game editor looks for memory being used by "fm.exe" and so will not work with the default install. However, you can rename wwsm.exe to fm.exe, and then it should work.

Personally, as a North American supporter of SI, I make sure to only purchase WWSM so that SI and Sega will credit me as a North American purchaser of the game .. when deciding how much development effort to put into MLS, CONCACAF tournaments, etc, and whether to add other North American elements like the USL, Canadian leagues, and NCAA.

Archived