Is there any smart people on this forum!?

Because i aint one of them, so can someone figure this out? I been asking and trying to do this forever and its led to me not even playing this game anymore! I want to play! Can somone please tell me how to download the patch! I do everything until I get the desktop icon of the patch, i double click it to download it and the FM box appears but it says. . . . ERROR:could not locate Football Manager Installation Folder, pleas browse and open fm.exe. Wtf! Ive tried to unistall the game and it still didnt work. wht the hell could the problem be?

Well, please dont take this the wrong way, but there's no other way to say it.. You need to read what it says.

It can't locate the Football Manager Installation Folder because it isn't on your desktop (where your patch will be). You need to 'browse' (I haven't got the patch on hand, so this is on memory) from the patch program, find the FM Folder (C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/ and click on 'fm.exe' inside the Football Manager 2008 folder.

Then it should patch okay.

It can't locate the Football Manager Installation Folder because it isn't on your desktop (where your patch will be).

Thats not the reason. The patch.exe will look at the default location of the game so it doesn't matter if its on the desktop or not.

It sounds like you installed FM to a different location than the default location, all you need to do when asked to locate fm.exe is goto the folder you installed it to and choose fm.exe.

you don't have a fm.exe? how does the game work?

if you've tried using your computers "Find Files" or "Search" (i've got a Mac so i'm not up to date on what it's called on a PC, but i think it's in the list when you hgit the Start button, right?) and looked for "fm.exe" and you still can't find it then you should reinstall FM. take a note of exactly where it installs to and then use the patch. if you do find fm.exe and it's in some other folder, then follow the instructions above - just browse for the correct folder when the patch opens and it should be fine.

EDIT: also, on some computers they have settings set so that file extensions such as .exe don't actually show when you open the folder. what you might see is an icon just called "fm" - if it has the FM08 icon chances are that it is actually fm.exe, it just isn't displaying it's extension.

@OP

fm.exe is the file with which you start the game.

The ".exe" part will not be displayed unless you change the settings.

So the fm.exe you are looking for will just be named as "fm" with the red fm08 icon. You should browse for that file click it and select ok/open.

@OP

fm.exe is the file with which you start the game.

The ".exe" part will not be displayed unless you change the settings.

So the fm.exe you are looking for will just be named as "fm" with the red fm08 icon. You should browse for that file click it and select ok/open.

fm.jpg

Above is the red icon el sid speaks of, with the address bar showing where it may be found.

Like the others have said, if you don't have an exe then the game isn't installed.

The best way to find it would be to right click on the shortcut to FM, click properties and then the location (path) of the fm install will be shown in the target line.

Haha, big deal its a forum. Thanks guys ill be on this trying to figure it out while i watch the chicago bears play. I went to the search and typed fm.exe and the only thing that came up is the patch. Ill start doing everything else u guys told me about now. Thanks for the help, i really need it and need to play this game again. thanks

Well get this i can play the game i tried that. I clicked start a game and it went to the next screen and select my nationality. Well it go this far if it wasnt downloaded and installed? so i checked that, then i clicked on the paatch to instal and the FM box comes up and says "cannot locate fm.exe file, browse for it". after i select a couple guesses to see if it works, the fm box says "Football manager 2008 install directory does not exist. Please reinstall football manager 2008 again before u install this" Ive tried this before, can i be doing somehting wrong? can it be my anti virus? man this sucks

Well get this i can play the game i tried that. I clicked start a game and it went to the next screen and select my nationality. Well it go this far if it wasnt downloaded and installed? so i checked that, then i clicked on the paatch to instal and the FM box comes up and says "cannot locate fm.exe file, browse for it". after i select a couple guesses to see if it works, the fm box says "Football manager 2008 install directory does not exist. Please reinstall football manager 2008 again before u install this" Ive tried this before, can i be doing somehting wrong? can it be my anti virus? man this sucks

It shouldn't be guesses, though. If you are selecting the wrong file it will most likely say that it is not installed.

Just use the search feature on your computer and search for all you Football Manager 2008 folders. Go into each one and when you see a file called 'fm' or 'fm.exe.' and it has the 08 icon then that is the file you should be browsing to. Hope that helps. :)

man i cant find this thing, i go to system search and type in fm and all that comes up is the patch, ill keep trying thanks

Try typing in "Football Manager 2008" and then when the search is finished just go into each folder until you see the fm file.

if i reinstall it, is there somewhere i can put this file im looking for in a easier place so i can easily do this some other way? cause i cant find this thing at all

By default it should be in C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008

It will be there unless you installed the game somewhere else.

Could you upload a screenshot of that location on you computer, please?

games folder is empty from the installation box, when i browse for fm.exe. I have the sports interactive folder but the options in there ae only db, games,matches, skins,sounds and temporary

That is the wrong Sports Interactive folder. You should have another one in the Program Files folder and this is where fm should be located.

ok, now im in the world wide soccer manager folder under program files and all they have to choose from is data, editor data,jre, links,sku06 html and unitstall football manager

Have you Worldwide Soccer Manager or Football Manager?

football manager

How do you have a Worldwide Soccer Manager folder, then?

Have you always had Football Manager?

You need to know which one you have as there is a different patch for both and you may have the wrong one. Also with Worldwide Soccer Manager, you will have a wwsm.exe file or something rather that a fm.exe file.

why the hell do they change there name every year. oh my god! i cant believe i just did this, im a dumb ass

They don't change the name at all. It is still Football Manager as it always has been since SI and Eidos split. Worldwide Soccer Manager is a localised version for USA gamers. It is effectively the same game though but requires a different patch.

It is going to be one of these links depending on your answers to these 2 questions

Have you a PC or a Mac?

Did get the boxed version of the game or the digital download?:

Worldwide Soccer Manager PC (Boxed)

http://www.ut3.yourfirstcreditcard.c...2_boxed_pc.rar

OR

http://rapidshare.com/files/94829440...2_boxed_pc.rar

Use WINRAR to extract.

Worldwide Soccer Manager PC (Digital download version)

http://www.ut3.yourfirstcreditcard.c...digital_pc.rar

Use WINRAR to extract.

Worldwide Soccer Manager Mac (Boxed)

http://www.ut3.yourfirstcreditcard.c..._boxed-mac.dmg

Worldwide Soccer Manager Mac (Digital download version)

http://www.ut3.yourfirstcreditcard.c...igital-mac.dmg

Archived