FM 2007 to FM 2009

Dazza

Although I bought FM2008 as I do every release from SI, I've never really played this release as much as I did FM 2007. Infact I probably have not completed a full season if I'm honest for what reasons I can't put my finger on. But now with FM 2009 just over a month away I feel I will now get twice the value for money having never explored too much in FM 2008. Roll on 14/11/2008 :)

But now with FM 2009 just over a month away I feel I will now get twice the value for money having never explored too much in FM 2008.

Well not really, as 2008 was not much of a leap forward in terms of gameplay and features. Some would argue it was rather a step backwards. But I do have high hopes and expectations for FM09, if we do get what we're being told and the thing actually works without major issues I'll be very happy to buy it. But not until I'm convinced it's in good enough state to play a long term save on without having any major problems.

Erm. Ok. Good for you :thup::)

Is it going to be good for me I suppose is the question?

People tell me FM 2008 didn't leap that much from FM 2007 so having not played FM 2008 that much, FM2009 should appear as a big WOW to me, but if FM 2009 doesn't leap that much either (3D aside) where does the game go next to get that WOW factor back.

I Think Fm has always improved, how can you skip a game though?

Like with no proper player updates, teams in wrong divisions..and things, just be disguisting.

Maybe some people don't place as much value on those things as you do. Just a thought.

Well Fm isn't about game play really is it?

It's about tactics, players...etc, I'd hate to be teams, knowing most of the players arent even there, or teams in wrong division,

I don't see how it affects you if some people want to play an older game. And I also think you ignored my point. Some people don't value having up-to-date squads and players as much as you do because it is about gameplay for them.

Assuming you paid for FM08 you aren't getting twice the value for money, you're maybe getting twice the value for twice the money, jumping from FM2007 to FM2009, taking no account of whether FM08 does actually add any value to FM07 or not (personally I'm back with an FM07 game now after numerous games in FM08 that irritated me no end)

Assuming you paid for FM08 you aren't getting twice the value for money, you're maybe getting twice the value for twice the money, jumping from FM2007 to FM2009, taking no account of whether FM08 does actually add any value to FM07 or not (personally I'm back with an FM07 game now after numerous games in FM08 that irritated me no end)

Maybe it's the eight pints of Guinness I had for breakfast, but I can't get my head around any of that...

Maybe it's the eight pints of Guinness I had for breakfast, but I can't get my head around any of that...

I was responding to this:

I feel I will now get twice the value for money having never explored too much in FM 2008. Roll on 14/11/2008 :)

It's hardly twice the value for money if you paid for the one inbetween that you never played, as oppose to if you didn't get FM08 and were making the jump from FM07 to FM09 paying only for those two :-|

Well Fm isn't about game play really is it?

It's about tactics, players...etc, I'd hate to be teams, knowing most of the players arent even there, or teams in wrong division,

Play with real players turned off and holiday a couple of seasons at the start to jumble the leagues up a bit and you'll never know any different ;)

gameplay though Mike777?

What they think the 2d little circles are better than other football games like Say Fifa and Pro evo?

im not saying they wouldnt, but im saying, how could they? does it not getting boring, being a team knowing none of you favourite players are at right clubs etc,

also daemonic, having REAL players turned off, wouldnt make it "realistic" would it now!

gameplay though Mike777?

What they think the 2d little circles are better than other football games like Say Fifa and Pro evo?

im not saying they wouldnt, but im saying, how could they? does it not getting boring, being a team knowing none of you favourite players are at right clubs etc,

also daemonic, having REAL players turned off, wouldnt make it "realistic" would it now!

You're really not getting it. I'm with you in that I personally prefer the latest game with everything as up-to-date as possible. But there are people who don't feel the game is as good or works as well as older version, and prefer to play them. Those people don't worry about what players are at what clubs because it doesn't matter to them.

And as for having real players turned off, of course it isn't realistic. People choose to do it for a challenge. I'm sorry, but plenty of people do see it as a game and choose to play it as such.

The game is only ever realistic for a very small snapshot of time in terms of which players are where and which clubs are where anyway. Loads of people seem to like to update their database to the current squads in a game that starts a year previously for some inexplicable reason so they all have "unrealistic" squads anyway and even more so those who choose to move teams around to the divisions the teams are in this season

Yeh but starting well now 2 seasons behind..and stuff, also dont think you can get updates which go thatg far.

Well, I was playing Fm07 with a data update, upto date until January. I don't really see it as a problem that its a year behind anyway - to each his own.

gameplay though Mike777?

... I don't think you understand the way people are using the word "gameplay"

I'm gonna use some of my Philosophy crap to try and make sense of your argument:

P1. Tactics and players are not considered to be gameplay

Therefore, probably

[C1. FM's gameplay is limited to the match engine only]

P2. The 2D little circles are not as good as other football games (I've taken this to be a broad sweeping claim for the whole game itself, though I cannot be sure)

Therefore,

[C2. The gameplay of FM is not as good as in other games] (from P2 and C1)

P3. none of your players are at the right club

Therefore,

[C3. the game would be unrealistic and boring if it didn't have real life transfers] (from P3)

[P4. If something is unrealistic, it would not be fun]

Therefore, probably

C4. People should not play older versions of FM for the gameplay (from C2, C3 and P4)

I've tried to be as charitable as I can here but lets analyze it now, added some suppressed premises to make your argument make as much sense as possible.

Analysis: first we must take out irrelevant premises. Firstly C3 is irrelevant because as shown in C1 tactics and transfers are not considered to be gameplay according to your (rather restricted) definition. Therefore, it is irrelevant whether the transfers are realistic or not because this doesn't affect the gameplay, which you consider to be the match engine only. C2 succeeds logically but materially we have to check whether your premise is plausible or not. We know about pro evo and fifa and so we can judge that no, this does not succeed materially because we know that the "gameplay" of those games are different from FM, and thus cannot be compared. Finally, P4 succeeds logically but materially we know that some games ARE unrealistic but very fun. I'm sure you can think of many games like that. Therefore, your argument is a bad one.

I'm studying for a test and this way it doesn't seem like I'm slacking off...

I Think Fm has always improved, how can you skip a game though?

Like with no proper player updates, teams in wrong divisions..and things, just be disguisting.

I stayed with 07 instead of buying 08 due to the fact the demo of fm08 seemed similar to fm07.

For me there wasn't to many differences between the two and as such i decided to keep going with 07.

As for no proper updates and teams being in wrong divisions I tend to play long term games so that sort of thing doesn't bother me.

... I don't think you understand the way people are using the word "gameplay"

I'm gonna use some of my Philosophy crap to try and make sense of your argument:

P1. Tactics and players are not considered to be gameplay

Therefore, probably

[C1. FM's gameplay is limited to the match engine only]

P2. The 2D little circles are not as good as other football games (I've taken this to be a broad sweeping claim for the whole game itself, though I cannot be sure)

Therefore,

[C2. The gameplay of FM is not as good as in other games] (from P2 and C1)

P3. none of your players are at the right club

Therefore,

[C3. the game would be unrealistic and boring if it didn't have real life transfers] (from P3)

[P4. If something is unrealistic, it would not be fun]

Therefore, probably

C4. People should not play older versions of FM for the gameplay (from C2, C3 and P4)

I've tried to be as charitable as I can here but lets analyze it now, added some suppressed premises to make your argument make as much sense as possible.

Analysis: first we must take out irrelevant premises. Firstly C3 is irrelevant because as shown in C1 tactics and transfers are not considered to be gameplay according to your (rather restricted) definition. Therefore, it is irrelevant whether the transfers are realistic or not because this doesn't affect the gameplay, which you consider to be the match engine only. C2 succeeds logically but materially we have to check whether your premise is plausible or not. We know about pro evo and fifa and so we can judge that no, this does not succeed materially because we know that the "gameplay" of those games are different from FM, and thus cannot be compared. Finally, P4 succeeds logically but materially we know that some games ARE unrealistic but very fun. I'm sure you can think of many games like that. Therefore, your argument is a bad one.

I'm studying for a test and this way it doesn't seem like I'm slacking off...

Phil: Critical Thinking, hey? Hehehe.

Archived