Appalling player movement

Not that I'm complaining but I can't be unaffected by the appalling player movement incorporated in the FM 08. FM 08 is the first manager I have been playing completely on full match highlights and when you do so you can't not notice that the player movement in 2D match is sometimes simply ludicrous. This is not something that will affect only your players, but also the AI's players and tactics, only you notice it more when it happens to your players. So this is one of those "features" that will lose and win you matches. Sometimes I don't know what "superior player behavior imitating and tactic analyzing algorithm" did SI implement here but whatever it is, it is seriously flawed.

Some of the player "moves" I have witnessed in FM08:

1. Players moving in the opposite direction from the ball (ball goes right, the team moves left).

2. Players running to the ball then stopping a couple of feet in front of the ball until the opposition picks it up, the try to close the opposition.

3. Players running past the ball, but never picking it up.

4. Opposing player running with the ball to the left, the player moves away to the right.

5. Players running for the ball for the half of the pitch then stopping and return to their position.

6. Players moving away from the ball until the opposition picks it up, the they try to close the opposition.

There seams to be some problems with the players making decision when no player has the ball in their "possession" ex. dead ball situation. In such a situation the players will prefer to move to their "designated" position or not move at all despite the position of the ball, and that their inaction may result in a disaster for their team.

Now while I know that SI will not fix this for the FM 08 and that their is no point in doing so with so many other problems in the game it's just better to wait for the FM09 and see if this has been fixed.

I was just wondering if any of you noticed similar things in the 2D match engine.

personally mate, unless i'm making over 20 shots no goal and not scoring i don't bother with the 2d engine.

I found it was only usefull for working out if your players are taking way too many shots from outside the box.

It really does need some work, I pray they don't move to 3d until they can perfect the 2d

The only really appalling movement I've noticed ;) is the following configuration:

DR -> WBR MR -> AMR

DR: Forward runs "Often"

MR: Forward runs "Mixed"

It winds up with, in possession, and even on kickoffs, the DR pushing all the way forward to within a few yards of the MR position, and the MR occupying the MR position instead of the AMR position. They fail to realize how close they are to each other, and a single guy can cover both of them ... while the opposition striker needs only drift a bit wide to exploit the tremendous gap behind the DR.

The only really appalling movement I've noticed ;) is the following configuration:

DR -> WBR MR -> AMR

It winds up with, in possession, and even on kickoffs, the DR pushing all the way forward to within a few yards of the MR position, and the MR occupying the MR position instead of the AMR position. They fail to realize how close they are to each other, and a single guy can cover both of them ... while the opposition striker needs only drift a bit wide to exploit the tremendous gap behind the DR.

Agree 100%!

The worst bit is when someone gets tackled and loses the ball, but it's not a foul. So his blip stays still (i.e. he's on the ground), the ball stays just in front of him, and everyone else buzzes around him with a one-metre radius but wait for him to get up and let him have possession again. This once happened to me when an opposition forward burst into my penalty area, got taken down. Ten yards out, he didn't have the ball but everyone else left him alone, waiting for him to get up, instead of clearing the bloody thing. He got up and was allowed to promptly have a shot! Luckily he skied it, otherwise I'd probably have punched something.

The worst bit is when someone gets tackled and loses the ball, but it's not a foul. So his blip stays still (i.e. he's on the ground), the ball stays just in front of him, and everyone else buzzes around him with a one-metre radius but wait for him to get up and let him have possession again. This once happened to me when an opposition forward burst into my penalty area, got taken down. Ten yards out, he didn't have the ball but everyone else left him alone, waiting for him to get up, instead of clearing the bloody thing. He got up and was allowed to promptly have a shot! Luckily he skied it, otherwise I'd probably have punched something.

ive had a similar thing although he scored the goal.... i was angry but it didnt really matter since i was winning comfortably. Its pretty funny though when it happens ;)

DR -> WBR MR -> AMR

I raised this as an issue last year when they were so close it looked like they were holding hands on the pitch.

What you see now is an impovement.

what's also very annoying is this:

Your full back has the ball in front of your GK, or remotely close to him and the goalkeeper goes, for no reason, all the way to the side of the goal.

Of course the opposition then goes on to steal the ball and they put it in the net (pretty much empty goal).

Archived