Value of Players

Does anyone think that value of players should be hidden in the game? I think it would make FM more realistic and it would make the game more interesting. You would have to enquire about players just like teams in real life do and you could only see the values of players on the transfer list as they have a set price. Hopefully this would be added as a feature in FM 09 :)

no, in the real media you see players tipped to be worth x amount of money and it doesnt really relate to the real transfer price when the player goes through - although arguably the media is closer to real transfer prices than FM values are to FM transfers

That's all the values are in the game anyhow. For example: The game says that my young central midfielder is worth £5.5 Million, but I would never let him go for anything below £40-50 million. Or one of Reading's players was valued at £20 mil... I probably could have gotten him for something in the region of £80 million. The thing is that people assume that the values you are told are values that the opposition will accept. Not the case, they actually have bugger all to do with it, it's basically what the "media" think would be the right price of them, but they are total toss. They can give you an idea, but in truth if you can get a world class player for less (or if you sell one for less) than 4-5 times that value you're doing well (as long as there isn't another reason why you could get them of course, ei Unsettled, Bankrupt...). The actual values are hidden...

Really, this isn't the bloody Deli, players don't have some devine value given by only the grace of God, no instead it's just some random value thrown together by a formula that is never anywhere near the actual value of a player to the club.

No, not at all - it doesn't get hidden.

We're left with some arbitrary value that is 99% based on reputation. It's really rather pointless and extremely unrealistic. The media in FM should be able to speculate as to a potential transfer fee, clubs should be able to set an asking price, but an arbitrary 'value' like this makes no sense at all.

I am well aware of that. Of course 'sale value' should stay (and stay hidden), but transfer value is irrelevant (and as I have said above, I think it should be scrapped). The question is, do 'asking price' and 'sale value' ever differ, and what decides how and when they differ?

I am well aware of that. Of course 'sale value' should stay (and stay hidden), but transfer value is irrelevant (and as I have said above, I think it should be scrapped). The question is, do 'asking price' and 'sale value' ever differ, and what decides how and when they differ?

Asking Price = Sale Value

Transfer value, that is seen in the game, is their market value. Basically you only get to see the sale value in the game when the club sets an asking price.

But - sometimes players will sell for a lot less than their asking price. It would be interesting to see whether the two really do directly represent each other.

"market value" means virtually nothing in the game. Doesn't relate to sale value, doesn't relate that much to ability. The only thing it's useful for is a vague guide as to what kind of offer to put in. That's the kind of hint you should be getting from the scouts or from opening negotiations.

If the "market value" represents the IRL media or conventional wisdom value, then it's pretty fair that it's based on reputation.

eg. IRL if there is transfer speculation over a player, say, Xabi Alonso going to Juve, without either club revealing their bids or acceptable price, the media and general public would peg it at about 10-15 million pounds, just based on what is known about the player and the transfer market currently. That's the "market value" of the player based on rep. His real "sale value", just like in the game, is unknown. IRL the selling club couldn't agree on a fair price with the buying club, so he didn't go. And just like IRL, market value is just a rough guide, sometimes players move for a lot more or less than what the media expects (Darren Bent).

Seems like an ok system to me.

But the media-speculated price should be shown through speculation in the media, not a banner on the player's head. I reckon the game would be so much more interesting without this arbitrary value...

your forgetting that there is a media speculation price that is currently in the game aswell as the player 'value' that is quoted in game. I find that the media speculation price is always wrong (by about a factor of .5) which is kinda stupid because this is the price the ai will pay for your players but when you offer a similar value there is no way the ai will accept your bid. For example you have a player X who the media speculates to be worth 35million (this is shown on the rumour messages iirc). His actual value in game may be 25mil. Despite this the ai will offer you around the 35mil mark (which is fair imo even if you dont want to sell him).

If the same player X was at another team however, the media will still speculate 35mil. When you alone bid for the player, there is no way that the ai will accept the 35mil. Instead, i find that they accept a value which is just under doulble the amount, which is stupid

Archived