Dodgy Penalty Decisions

correct me if im wrong, but isnt an obstruction punished by an idirect free-kick?? so how comes i got a penalty for it? not that im complaining, cos i scored it, but still...

or should i be thinking more along the lines of a "body-check" where the defender has flattened my player?

It's annoying. My central defender once decided to turn into an idiot and conceded a penalty in three consecutive matches.. by 'obstructing' a player in the box when the ball was 10 yards away rolling out of play each time.

First of all, as said above, that's not a penalty offense, it should be IFK.

Secondly, no ref would give it if there was no goal threat at all - which there wasn't since the ball was going out anyway.

And thirdly, why on earth do players decide to do such things for no apparent reason? If it's tactics, why would I need to suddenly start looking for some mystic slider combination to stop my players from behaving like a bunch of halfwits? If it was real life, I'd just tell them to stop it. That is the main weakness of the current tactics system, when daft things start happening there's no intuitive solution to be found.

I'm sorry, bit peeved atm because of a losing streak on FM, needed to vent a bit.

It's annoying. My central defender once decided to turn into an idiot and conceded a penalty in three consecutive matches.. by 'obstructing' a player in the box when the ball was 10 yards away rolling out of play each time.

this happens irl, although the pen is never given... when its in the box, or near the goal-line, its called "shepherding the ball out of play" and is good defending... when its anywhere else on the pitch, its a blatant obstruction... now, someone explain to me whats the difference??? its a different offence because of where it takes place on the pitch?? :confused:

this happens irl, although the pen is never given... when its in the box, or near the goal-line, its called "shepherding the ball out of play" and is good defending... when its anywhere else on the pitch, its a blatant obstruction... now, someone explain to me whats the difference??? its a different offence because of where it takes place on the pitch?? :confused:

In my case the CB was quite clearly not shepherding anything as the ball was going out regardless, it was miles away from both of them, no chance of either getting anywhere near it. That's why it was that infuriating - as well as happening three matches in a row of course. I'm no expert on the obstruction rule so I can't really comment, but I'm quite sure there are some nuances in there. And even if there weren't I'm sure no-one would want penalties to be given for minor offenses like shepherding it out (if it was an offense).

I theory the word 'Obstruction' has been taken out of the FA laws of the game. A new offence of 'preventing movement of an opposing player' has be brought in. Basically if you stand infront of someone and he tries to go round him you step across him it is punishable with an indirect free kick. The problem lies that the minute you make any contact with an opposing player it is automatically a direct free kick, and if in teh box therefore a penalty.

I will probably get shot down that I am wrong, I may be, but this is what I have been told by a couple of high level referees.

Not according to the laws of the game on the FA site it didn't.

Here are 10 offences that can lead to a direct free-kick/penalty.

When a player:

Kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

Trips or attempts to trip an opponent

Jumps at an opponent

Charges an opponent

Strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

Pushes an opponent

Makes contact with the opponent before touching the ball when tackling

Holds an opponent

Spits at an opponent

Handles the ball deliberately

If any of these offences are committed by a player inside their own penalty area then it's a penalty.

The following lead to an indirect free kick.

When, in the opinion of the ref, a player:

Impedes the progression of an opponent (obstruction)

Plays in a dangerous manner

Prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands

Or when a keeper, inside their own penalty area:

Holds on to the ball for more than six seconds

Handles a back pass

Handles the ball after receiving it from a team-mate direct from a throw-in

Touches the ball again with their hands, before it is touched by another player, after releasing it from their possession

In the case of penalties it does matter as it's almost impossable to tell from the 2D engine.

while on the subject of dubious penalties...why do the media ask you if you think a certain decision was correct when all you can see in the replay is dots going near other dots? how am i supposed to know if he kicks the other bloke in the balls or not?

I dont think iv ever seen an indirect freekick in FM??

But ye if its in the box should be an indirect freekick not a penalty but oh well... :)

I'm suprised you haven't as I see them in virtually every game I play. I do usually watch the matches in full match mode, so that might explain it, as perhaps they never inform you if you are using highlights.

I'm suprised you haven't as I see them in virtually every game I play. I do usually watch the matches in full match mode, so that might explain it, as perhaps they never inform you if you are using highlights.

Well, they shouldn't be in virtually every game you play either as they are a rare occurence in reality but I have never seen one in FM.

Well, they shouldn't be in virtually every game you play either as they are a rare occurence in reality but I have never seen one in FM.

They seem to have been recently, though whether they should be is a different matter. Like I said, it probably makes a difference playing full match mode, as they normally make no effect, & if they do appear in highlights, you probably see just the free kick & not what sort it is.

They seem to have been recently, though whether they should be is a different matter. Like I said, it probably makes a difference playing full match mode, as they normally make no effect, & if they do appear in highlights, you probably see just the free kick & not what sort it is.

They nearly always lead to a shot on target and why you would not know what sort of free kick it is. There are no direct free-kicks for the attacking team in the penalty area.

I dont think iv ever seen an indirect freekick in FM??

But ye if its in the box should be an indirect freekick not a penalty but oh well... :)

Really? I see upwards of ten a game. In silly places too; like in my own half, where no one is going to be shooting from anyway.

Really? I see upwards of ten a game. In silly places too; like in my own half, where no one is going to be shooting from anyway.

I think they are talking about indirect free kicks in the penalty area for the attacking team.

Archived