FM 2008...Poor Performance

I have recently made the switch from FM2006 to FM2008...big mistake. Whats happened? SI have taken the fun out of the game. Here are a few of my gripes:

1. The repetitive multi choice questions before games. I want to win every game....simple. Tedious.

2. I was recently quizzed about a penalty decision which was not given against my team. How am I supposed to see a tackle between 2 dots and decided if it was fair or not.

3. There are far too many parts of the game which I, and I suspect a lot of other people, don't use e.g. unecessary stats screens etc.

4. Repetitive Pre match & Post match analysis by a soccer pundit. Who cares about his opinion.

I think SI are trying too hard to include more stuff with each new release and over complicating matters. They are obviously pre-occupied with FM Live. A season update each year would suffice with tweaks to the match engine. In my opionion, they had the right balance with FM2006 with yearly season updates on that game.

I know there will be a lot of people who disagree but I also think there are also a lot of people who think the series is declining.

1. Telling your team you want to win before every match will lose it's effectiveness if you use it every match.

2. Click view incident then.

3. Stats screen is a important part of the game for me.

4. I think it's a great addition, with a few improvements it could be brilliant.

I know there will be a lot of people who disagree but I also think there are also a lot of people who think the series is declining.

And both sides have discussed this at length over the last few months. The issues you raise and aspects of the game a lot of people enjoy, they may not work perfectly and may need to be improved upon, but there have been very few calls for them to be totally removed.

I think the series gets better every time. It's a simple question for me. Have I enjoyed FM08 more than any other? The answer is yes. But if it wasn't, it wouldn't matter unless I hadn't got any enjoyment out of it at all.

I don't believe SI are trying to include too much. I just think that there are quite a number of things that need to be gotten working properly. When they are, I think this game will be something else.

1. Telling your team you want to win before every match will lose it's effectiveness if you use it every

2. Click view incident then.

3. Stats screen is a important part of the game for me.

4. I think it's a great addition, with a few improvements it could be brilliant.

I don't tell my team i want to win every match....I think to myself I want to win every match....does'nt everyone?

I do view the incident but how am I supposed to see wether a tackle is ok or not?

I don't tell my team i want to win every match....I think to myself I want to win every match....does'nt everyone?

I do view the incident but how am I supposed to see wether a tackle is ok or not?

Yes everyone wants to win every match, but you have to be realistic and know your limits i.e. you can't say "I expect a win" to your exeter team against Chelsea.

It's difficult to tell from some replays but it's an issue that should be fixed with more definitive match reports and commentary, no way should it be removed though.

It's difficult to tell from some replays but it's an issue that should be fixed with more definitive match reports and commentary, no way should it be removed though.

The frequent touchline bans should be though. When was the last time a manager served a ban due to comments to the press? Mourinho? Managers bitch about refs all the time, every single game at Old Trafford that Man Utd win will be followed by the 'you can't get any decisions at Old Trafford' quote by the opposition managers, however I can't remember anyone ever being banned for it. It's way too simplistic in FM.

Points 1, 2 ,and 4 are all things you can just completely ignore in the game if you choose to and they will have no effect at all. Point 3 you can also ignore - sure creating all the various game stats will slow the game down very very slightly, but I like stats - far better than many other aspects of the game.

FM06 was enjoyable, but still had plenty of flaws. I won the Champions League in 2012 (I think) with Icelandic team Grindavik. Either I'm a manager touched by pure genius or the game made it too easy. I'd love to claim the former, but clearly it is the latter. Every version that comes out there will be some changes some people like, some changes others don't like - it'll always be the same. If sales of the game start to drop then obviously SI would look very carefully into the reason for that and might take some steps back in terms of things that have been added, but as far as I'm aware the game still sells very well indeed.

They are obviously pre-occupied with FM Live.

*sigh*

1. If you don't want to use them, ignore them.

2. Thats a fair point na dhas been raised ALOT. Im expecting it to be fixed in FM09.

3. Well, if you don't want to use them, dont. Some people do use them.

4. It's cosmetic. Again, ignore it.

1) Media 'interaction' is a joke, a lottery and hugely infuential on results at the same time, I want it removed or improved by about 80% (random number).

2) Untill the engine goes 3D we wont be able to tell anything about contentious decisions, and currently even with offsides it nearly impossible because the visual rep of the ME we get isn't accurate (this ones not a big deal really).

3) Dunno what to say, I look at lots of stat screens.

4) Again I don't think this is a big deal, just ignore it, I'm sure it took a week or two only to code in :p.

For me this FM is the best but its still a long way off what I want to see from FM and the advances are smaller and smaller each release, I'm worried that not much will of changed in even 5 years from now.

FM Live - one team working on it.

FM09 - another team working on it.

And ne'er the twain shall meet!

Since both games will use basically the same match engine, it seems very wasteful if the two teams shall never meet. ;)

Can we please put to bed this idea that FM Live is distracting SI? It isn't.

The idea probably refuses to die since SI haven't published any games after announcing FM Live. Once both games are out, we'll see how good they are and can judge better whether FML compromised FM09 or not.

(Whenever you take a team that's been together for a long time, split it in two, and bring in fresh people to make up the numbers, there's bound to be some effect on the finished games. Perhaps the new people took a while to get familiar with the code for FM, and there hasn't been that much progress because of that. Or perhaps the new people brought in a bunch of fresh ideas and the finished game will offer something refreshingly new and be the best one ever. No way to know beforehand; until the games are out I think it's fairly normal and to be expected that there's a lot of speculation on whether SI are distracted or not.)

So what most people are saying is that I don't have to select a pre-match multi choice question, as it will have not an affect on my teams performance? So what is the point of having it?

Because it is a good feature. Just ignore it if you don't like it.

How is it a good feature when it does'nt mean anything?

It does mean something, its just broken/incomprehensible, you are right this is a bad feature of the game. Some people think its ok for a feature to be rubbish because they have the option of not using it because it adds to 'reality', I am not of this school of thinking.

So what most people are saying is that I don't have to select a pre-match multi choice question, as it will have not an affect on my teams performance? So what is the point of having it?

THe point is that FM tries to simulate real life. IRL you have the option of saying 'no comment'. I can't see the problem. Sure, it may need tweaking but what it the problem with just ignoring it?

(Whenever you take a team that's been together for a long time, split it in two, and bring in fresh people to make up the numbers.

The FM team wasn't split up. The FML team is a new team, the only resources came from the baseball game.

The FM team wasn't split up. The FML team is a new team, the only resources came from the baseball game.

Are you sure? Since people like Marc Duffy and Ov Collyer seem to be posting in the FML forum exclusively these days, I just assumed that they were working full time on that game, rather than FM09. But I could be wrong ... (wouldn't be the first time)

It does mean something, its just broken/incomprehensible, you are right this is a bad feature of the game. Some people think its ok for a feature to be rubbish because they have the option of not using it because it adds to 'reality', I am not of this school of thinking.

Exactly.

I think team interaction is great because thats what being a football manager is all about, being involved with the players. Pre-match, half time & full time team talks. This media interaction element part of the game is just like real life... a circus, a joke. Alex Ferguson & Roy Keane (i'm a Sunderland supporter by the way) don't go in front of the media every week to answer 1 question 'Do you think you will win the game?'

Like my original post, if this sort of interaction is not relevant, it does'nt need to be in the game. Instead, focus on improving other elements i.e. match engine, training, tactics etc.

I do too find how someone listed as your favorites says "we all know they'd win..." yadda yadda. It got worse when i loaned out one of my older players[Toure] just days before a Final, and even he spoke to the media about it and what-not.

Archived