Alerting other clubs for a player. dont you hate it!!

Dont you just hate this as a human manager we dont have all the players on our short list etc,

We spend hours looking threw teams around the globe. Bingo you find a gem no one wants, suddenly bids from all over the place rain in. most dissapointingly, you dont have the money available to bid..

Why does this happen?

Ched, I can see his point - at times, even with a private offer, you bid on a player that absolutely no one is looking at, interested in, or bidding on, and the next day 15 offers are submitted. Yes, that could be coincidence - but it happens an awful lot for it to be coincidence every time.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

i've had it happen a few times like that, but it's also happened the other way round where i was notified of another club bidding for someone i had had my eye on for ages, and getting accepted at a price i couldn't refuse. i gazumped them in the contract offer and got my man during the January sales for a fraction of the price i'd been knocked back for in June.

Ben

It's has been argued many times that, even if the AI can see your shortlist - i've seen plenty to strongly suggest it can't - then this itself wouldn't be that unrealistic due to agents talking up their clients to get a better wage, leaks from club admin staff, leaks from the selling club in order to bump price, and newspapers constantly trying to find something to write about.

If you think about it, how many "surprise" transfers have there been in recent years? The only one that comes close is anderson and nani to utd - as there was very little forewarning. The vast majority of transfers even for minor youth players, are highly documented or rumoured before they're completed meaning that many clubs may think it's worthwhile to scout this player so they don't miss out.

I dislike the fact that you no longer get the option to bid privatly. If I bid for a player and it gets accepted about 10 other clubs bid teh exact same amount.

We need to be able to keep our bids private, I do not think that I have managed to sign one player that I have not had to fight another club in a contract battle.

I dislike the fact that you no longer get the option to bid privatly. If I bid for a player and it gets accepted about 10 other clubs bid teh exact same amount.

We need to be able to keep our bids private, I do not think that I have managed to sign one player that I have not had to fight another club in a contract battle.

With media and agents there is no longer any room for "private" bids to exist. I just can't see any reason for it to happen IRL so it is unlikely to happen in FM. I can see why the buying club would want it to happen, however the selling club/agent would want the bid to become public in order to raise the price. Hence why our newpapers are filled with rumours. Nothing is private anymore.

This problem is as realistic to real life as it can get in my opinion. As the others above have been saying the papers are always throwing rumours around in the close season. Like ronaldo at the moment and his move to madrid. it is hard to keep things private these days.

The problem is that AI seems to have access to your shortlist. Shortlists are private and not posted on some blog for other managers to read. Im not sure its true, ut i always suspected the game cheats a bit when it comes to our shortlist.

its part of life unfortunately. how many deals go through irl and you sit there thinking "where did that come from? i never saw anything about us signing him?" and regardingthe sortlist thing.. not all players show up as "wtd" when they are being chased by other clubs i dont think, so its not actually you that sparks the interest, you just find out about it because they have been added to your shortlist.

The problem is that AI seems to have access to your shortlist. Shortlists are private and not posted on some blog for other managers to read. Im not sure its true, ut i always suspected the game cheats a bit when it comes to our shortlist.

(Emphasis added).

That's a common assumption, but it is incorrect for the way FM is implemented.

If you place a player on an Active Shortlist, your interest in the player is public for all to see. Your team is listed in the "Interested" line of the player's Personal screen, and other managers see a "WNT" tag next to the player - just like you do if they have interest in a player.

There is also a way to set up an Inactive Shortlist - this will let you keep a private list of players, however, you will not receive news about a player on an inactive shortlist:

Click "Shortlist"

At the bottom right, click on "Shortlists v"

Select "New Shortlist"

Name your shortlist "Private Shortlist" (or, whatever you like, really)

Now, click on "Shortlists v" again.

Select "Set Active Shortlists"

You will note that the "Default" shortlist has a greyed-out checkbox which forces it to be "Active". In other words, placing any player into the default, Active shortlist is a public action, not a private one.

You can, however, de-select the checkbox next to our new "Private Shortlist".

Players placed on the Inactive "Private Shortlist" will not indicate your team under "Interested", and will not generate a "WNT" tag for opposition managers to see. However, you won't receive news information about them, either.

its part of life unfortunately. how many deals go through irl and you sit there thinking "where did that come from? i never saw anything about us signing him?" and regardingthe sortlist thing.. not all players show up as "wtd" when they are being chased by other clubs i dont think, so its not actually you that sparks the interest, you just find out about it because they have been added to your shortlist.

I think this is right. When you place a player on your shortlist you find out of interest from other clubs which was unknown to you previously. They were interested before you only it was not viewable until you added him to your shortlist. I would imagine this happens mainly for players with a lower reputation though. You don't need to have a high profile player on your shortlist to know that the are wanted by other clubs. This is what I found anyway.

Archived