Interesting interview with Miles about the split with Eidos

This sounds very interesting indeed! Iv heard people talking about Football Manager Online (not to be confused with FML)...maybe this is the free to play market? To be honest I tried to get into FM2011 and was piqued by FM2012 but I had no interest in them due to how indepth they are now and how they dont cater for people who cant devote 5 hours+ a day to play them. Every time I go on this forum I see people saying how they'r falling out of love with the game, how they dont have the time these days due to family and work commitments (which wasnt a problem when we all played the Amiga version and we craved for more depth but sadly this has come at a time when we have real life to contend with).

So it would be awesome if SI addressed that and one area which is mentioned above about the less conservative design...superb! FM's are a nightmare to play on a HD Laptop with every stat being in a seperate post code. A way to get around this was to do what they did with FM12 but then you have too much info in one screen then so news of amping up the visuals sounds very encouraging.

I think combine this with a more involving game deep down, but easy to pick up and play ala the earlier versions of CM/FM will make this one a winner! Cheers to both parties for allowing them to talk about this though over what was an incredibly stressful time.

Credit to SI for sticking with it and making such fantastic games. I never brought the newer CM's as I was loyal to SI and I hope they continue to evolve and make games easier to play when you can only pop on them for a few hours at a time. (dont say handheld as it defeats the purpose to pay £200 for a handheld device to go on a game less)

Not sure what a F2P FM would be like, but looking at how most F2P games are run now I rather not have FM become an F2P.

Yeah, from most F2P models, they seem to become P2W...although I have no idea how that will work in FM. I don't want a Free-nium game thanks. One price for the game thats all.

It would be interesting to know what happened to this:

It's answereed in the next pagagraph:

Jacobson followed through and secured the clause, meaning that, while the trio are at SI, they can operate largely as they did prior to the sale. Sports Interactive will unveil the latest iteration of Football Manager in the autumn, which Jacobson says will feature “less conservative” design than in the past.

Well we'll see some of those changes starting on FM 2013 I guess, until then this is all just a speculation based on one single sentence that got... interpreted, re-interpreted, and then dissected in so many ways xD... But as a consumer my choice is easy, high standard maintained and I'll happily support SI by purchasing their next installments. Mainstream the game to get larger consumer base and it's adios, let's hope the newly targeted market of short-spanned attention of the casual gamer would keep supporting the company.

Yeah, from most F2P models, they seem to become P2W...although I have no idea how that will work in FM. I don't want a Free-nium game thanks. One price for the game thats all.

Yes. Couldn't agree more.

£25 isn't unreasonable at all for something that gives so many hours of gameplay. I'm quite happy with the situation as it is.

I wonder whether the F2P could perhaps be aimed at the mobile versions though.

Well we'll see some of those changes starting on FM 2013 I guess, until then this is all just a speculation based on one single sentence that got... interpreted, re-interpreted, and then dissected in so many ways xD... But as a consumer my choice is easy, high standard maintained and I'll happily support SI by purchasing their next installments. Mainstream the game to get larger consumer base and it's adios, let's hope the newly targeted market of short-spanned attention of the casual gamer would keep supporting the company.

100 % correct. It's just the search for realism that attracts me since CM 99/00 to the SI team. Even though the game seems like work sometimes, the feeling of achieving something in this game outweighs all the adrenaline rushes from other games. It’s thanks to the immersion that you start to really feel like the team is yours.

Maybe the less conservative (mainstream) features could be positive:

64bit support

Better graphics

if they make a F2P version, i think they will keep working on the normal version too.

they will just probably try to reach others market.

but they won't abandon us!

they know what old FM players want, and it's not a f2p version. :thup:

To be honest I tried to get into FM2011 and was piqued by FM2012 but I had no interest in them due to how indepth they are now and how they dont cater for people who cant devote 5 hours+ a day to play them. Every time I go on this forum I see people saying how they'r falling out of love with the game, how they dont have the time these days due to family and work commitments (which wasnt a problem when we all played the Amiga version and we craved for more depth but sadly this has come at a time when we have real life to contend with).

Thing is, for those who don't have the time to immerse themselves into the game anymore, it doesn't really matter much that they can't engage with the entirety of FM's depth. Case in point, a casual user who does nothing but pick a starting 11 and run quick matches on key highlights can still do very well with their teams and have fun with the game. Granted they may have a bit less success than users who do have both the time and desire to embrace every layer of depth that the game has to offer, but the deficit really isn't that much.

Archived