Why not take the offer?

I start my games in the lower divisions and work up from there. On average I spend 2 - 5 years in any job. I normally take every job I get offers for, as the setting up of systems, etc. in the new club is one of the things I like best about this game.

So, apart from not wanting to leave the existing club, what are the killers (in the new club's make-up) that stop me from accepting the new job:

1) "Insecure" finances, wageroll higher than budget, etc.; I don't have the heart to leave a well run place and scrimp around with a new club.

2) If the new club is in Europe & has way less than the required amount of players qualified. Liverpool are always like this in my game.

3) If they have players on "Match highest earner"clause". Probably the thing I avoid most in this game. I never, ever, sign players with this clause.

What puts you chaps off accepting a new job?

I rarely quit teams because I like moulding them into my team and following through with some trophies. I hate taking over a team that somebody else has created.

I only ever accept a job offer if a) I'm unemployed, or b) am really bored of my current club.

I think it depends on the general goals for the team you take over. In my Liverpool save i really want to eclipse Utd and Ferguson's record, whereas in my Wolfsburg save i think my ceiling will be the CL places.

Do you get more recognition within the game (and get offered more jobs) if you move to more than one team in one country?

I always play a few years and then once I get to the point where I have nothing more to achieve domestically then I typically get bored. I find it hard to play whole seasons in leagues like England and Spain which take so long. Started a German save recently which I prefer because the league is only 34 games long. Think I'll stick around a few more years even though I'm the best team in the league just to see how far we can go in Europe which is something I've never bothered with before apart from in the Ukraine where seasons are even better at only 30 games long. I have never left a club in the middle of a save and stuck with the second club. Not sure why but it just doesn't feel the same. Would maybe like to attempt a career soon. Would have to be in a nation where the domestic league isn't too long and where there aren't multiple domestic cups though otherwise I'll never stay past the league champion stage because it'd take too long to get through when Europe is your only real challenge.

The main of my usual reasons:

a) I'm just too happy at my current club

b) I believe that something better should cross my way soon

c) Too high expectations at the new club which I don't believe being able to meet due to financial constraints and/or a too big need for a complete squad revamp

d) There's a mission at my current club which isn't completed yet, but close to being so

Finances and if they're in relegation trouble (even in a much better league) are the main two, rivals of former clubs (in a save only) are also out for me. Also if they're from the sane nation as my current/most recent club.

I'm not a fan of leaving/joining a club mid-season, regardless of both teams' performance/reputation etc.

Squad age is another one- if I can see there are a number of older players on big contracts who are gonna be difficult to shift, that'd put me off.

Other than that, it's loyalty. If I'm doing well at a club, I see the offers from bigger clubs more as a "well, why can't we be as good as they are?" challenge.

I play so slowly and am so nitpicky that I hardly get a chance to get bored by too many great seasons. Takes me 40 hours to play a season with about half of that dealing with players: transfers, training, interaction, tutoring, team talks, etc.. The other half is playing the matches and all that other business :)

i am a bit annoyed since applied for england job and didnt get it and yet got offered the u21 job.

accepted it anyway.

thought i would stand better chance of getting next england job and getting the youngsters used to my style of play

I need to make sure the squad has enough players in the positions I need for my 4132 formation. If the squad is full of wingers it's no good to me and really puts me off taking over. Don't like too much change with playing personel straight away so need to make sure the players I have can play my way.

I find starting up at a new club a bit of a chore tbh. Getting all my own staff in, assigning the scouting assignments, evaluating the squads strengths and weaknesses, etc. Takes me an age after taking over a new club to get things how I want them. It's one of the reasons I soon tire of journeyman careers

I find it difficult to manage a team that I don't particularly care about IRL. Which largely leaves me stuck with managing the mighty Gills once I've started a new game with them. Sometimes I'll get bored, usually about 10 seasons in when I'm dominating Europe (Don't snigger - it could happen!) , but other than that, I'll stick with the team until the new FM comes out.

Archived