"World golden ball shortlist announced" - something wrong with this feature.

In the end of a year I've received "World golden ball shortlist announced" in to my inbox with thirty-five players. As usual, national team head-coaches are able to vote from this list. But problem is, that truly best player of a year (by avarage ranking) in my game is not included even in thirty-five short list.

What do you think the reason is?

Details: The player is Shevchenko from Dynamo Kiev. His average rating almost 9 in current year. I have tried to rise his current ability and reputaton to maximal, as well as popularity of his Club, League and Nation. I am using FMRTE.

There it is.

/thread

That's not the issue. You would expect a player that averaged around 9.00 to be on the candidate list, surely?

Sure, Shevchenko might not be in the greatest league in the world, but a 9.00 rating is very good indeed.

Only an elite player playing Champions League and international football for one of the top 5-6 clubs ever has a shot of winning IRL. Even if a player had a real life theoretical average rating of 10 he wouldn't have a shot because none of the voters watch the domestic league he plays in, his club were not in the Champions League and his country haven't played a competative game all year due to hosting the Euros. Shevchenko averaging 9.0 on FM is no different to what Henrik Larrson used to do when he played for Celtic and he never had a realistic chance at this level of award.

Rubbish way of thinking, to be in contention for the top awards you should be playing in the top leagues for the top teams, not winding down your career in a second rate league.
He might not be in contention, but he should be on the list at the very least. 9.00 is an insane rating and may well be a full point ahead of everyone else.

And it's not like Ukraine are that poor a side: They are just behind Holland and Russia in the UEFA coefficients: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

He might not be in contention, but he should be on the list at the very least. 9.00 is an insane rating and may well be a full point ahead of everyone else.

And it's not like Ukraine are that poor a side: They are just behind Holland and Russia in the UEFA coefficients: http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

It's still an awful league. If you follow it closely like I do you'd see that for most games the big 2 plus Metalist are usually around odds of 1.10-1.30 to win most of their games. Basically Shakhtar, Dynamo and Metalist miles ahead of the rest. Then Dnipro are semi dangerous on their day although never beat the top 3. Then after them it's a bunch of crappy teams. The league has a good UEFA coefficent because of Shakhtar winning the old UEFA Cup and doing relatively well in the Champions Legaue combined with Metalist and Dynamo winning some games rather than the league on the whole being good. On top of that domestic games are not shown on international tv even in the CEE region so nobody outside of Ukraine and maybe Russia has access to games involving these clubs. On FM it is insanely easy for any good player to post ridiculous stats. I played as Shakhtar before and won all 30 games and Damiao averaged 2 goals per game (although I barely used my starters in the league around the time of Champions League games). Seriously 9.0 is not really that impressive for a so-called elite player. It's the same as the Portuguese league where outside of the top 3 this season everyone is crap. Nobody from these leagues will win any international awards. The fact that it's below the Dutch leagues says everything really considering how bad Dutch teams have been in Europe the last decade.

I don't think it's ever really worked very well. I have been teams that came through the ranks and ended up winning the league, champions league etc.

Still it would be Messi, Ronaldo and someone else who would win it every year.

I've even had players who got to the final of the Champs League, averaged over an 8 and got nothing in the awards, not even in the list. Yet - there'd be players that are averaging 7ish.

It's still an awful league. If you follow it closely like I do you'd see that for most games the big 2 plus Metalist are usually around odds of 1.10-1.30 to win most of their games. Basically Shakhtar, Dynamo and Metalist miles ahead of the rest. Then Dnipro are semi dangerous on their day although never beat the top 3. Then after them it's a bunch of crappy teams. The league has a good UEFA coefficent because of Shakhtar winning the old UEFA Cup and doing relatively well in the Champions Legaue combined with Metalist and Dynamo winning some games rather than the league on the whole being good. On top of that domestic games are not shown on international tv even in the CEE region so nobody outside of Ukraine and maybe Russia has access to games involving these clubs. On FM it is insanely easy for any good player to post ridiculous stats. I played as Shakhtar before and won all 30 games and Damiao averaged 2 goals per game (although I barely used my starters in the league around the time of Champions League games). Seriously 9.0 is not really that impressive for a so-called elite player. It's the same as the Portuguese league where outside of the top 3 this season everyone is crap. Nobody from these leagues will win any international awards. The fact that it's below the Dutch leagues says everything really considering how bad Dutch teams have been in Europe the last decade.
9.0 is still a brilliant rating - isn't that something like 2 goals and an assist per match?

I think it's a stretch to say Shevchenko should win the award, but 9.0 I'd imagine is still unprecedented in Ukranian football and in world football.

If it's too easy to score goals in Football Manager, then that is a separate bug but shouldn't detract from this issue.

It's hard to say how good a 9.0 is when it isn't a real life stat. I imagine Messi and Ronaldo would average at least that IRL this season. Can't think of others off the top of my head but there are numerous dominant players in Eastern European leagues who are far too good for their local competition and are yet to move to Western Europe.

• Administrators

May well be related to the player reputation, players of a lower reputation will not be nominated (much like real life, you look at the lists it's very rare a player outside of the 'biggest' clubs gets nominated).

In my game Shavchenko has the best avarage ranking not only in Ukrainian League, but in Championship League as well. He is a top scorrer and assistent too :-)). His team is in qoter-final or semi-final of CL, I don't remember exectly. Obviously, he did well on all sides he play. I still wondering why he didn't deserve to be at least in the short list? I remember the year 1999 whan he only started his career for the same club Dynamo Kyiv, it was seccessfull year in CL, and Sheva have been included in the short list in real life.

May well be related to the player reputation, players of a lower reputation will not be nominated (much like real life, you look at the lists it's very rare a player outside of the 'biggest' clubs gets nominated).

I've tried to swop the player to Barcelona with FMRTE before the list is announced. Just intended to make him get the aword and than swap him back to Dynamo Kyiv. Dosn't work.

Moving him to a different team wouldn't higher his reputation. If you're using FMRTE then higher his reputation, don't move clubs with him. He'd have to play at that club and increase his own reputation in that league - then he might get nominated.

read the first post

You'd have to do that from the months the award is actually judged on and not when it's voted on. So did you give him the rep before the World Cup competition started or after or during?

You'd have to do that from the months the award is actually judged on and not when it's voted on. So did you give him the rep before the World Cup competition started or after or during?

I did it before the World Cup started, at the and of first year of my game. Actually, I've increased his rep little bit as it was high enough at that moment. It was near 8500 and I've set to 9900.

Archived