cutting the wage bill for a league 1 club

I was in a similar position managing Brentford. My only option for reall progress was to clear out the youth team and reserves as you have already mentioned. All these little wages add up and brought my wage bill down by quite a significant amount. I also found that it did not affect my team's morale in a negative way whatsoever.

If you are fairly successful your wage budget will increase and you'll have the opportunity to rebuild your reserve and youth squad in a few seasons. I am 6 years into my save and am now in the Premiership so I have a decent amount of financial backing. This has given me the ability to invest in rebuilding the reserve and youth squad that I stripped out when I took over.

Hi, my wage budget is currently 7k over budget so need to cul a few players but not sure where to start. Do I clear out the youth team or reserves? Also the team morale is high so I don't want this to unsettle my team...

Just want to point out that if you are thinking of releasing players on free transfers this usually costs you as much as letting them see out their contract. So letting them hang around is usually a better option to fill in for injuries until you can agree a transfer.

Don't forget to constantly ask your board to increase the wage budget and use different reasons each time until they accept. You can always try and get them to increase the transfer budget too and then just use the slider to give yourself a higher wage budget.

I'd also look for one or two very high-wage (and underperforming) starters with high transfer value. If you can afford to sell these guys talentwise, that is, you've got decent replacements available, that could really cut your wage bill. Plus, you may be able to shift some of the transfer fees received back into a higher wage budget.

Sell the worst offenders. Unless you do, the wage structure of your club will be such that every potential future transfer will charge you more than they would otherwise. Long-term, you have to slash the top.

Right on. Don't be afraid to sell good players either. It is usually easy to find equally good players who demand much less wages

Archived